Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dougie
Dec 28, 2012

Glad to find this thread, fraternal greetings to you all. I am currently RWM of a small lodge in Scotland and have always had an interest in the ways in which people approach freemasonry around the world.
Our applications do not ask specifically that you believe in 'god' only that you believe in a 'supreme being', there is no mention of christ as far as I am aware.
I did read a conspiracy theory article online about some guy who was admitted to the 33degree and decided to denounce his masonic brethren when they referred to Jesus as 'an apostle of Mankind' thus removing any divine identity from him and suggesting that he was mortal. I have never seen this concept corroborated anywhere else, perhaps have to wait until I pass that degree myself ;)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dougie
Dec 28, 2012

Innerguard posted:

Good to see another brother from bonny Caledonia. I'm a Scots mason too - which lodge are you RWM of?

It varies - an example being that one guy I know was a traffic warden - another was a teacher.

St. Mary's, Tobermory, 1310

dougie
Dec 28, 2012

Angela Christine posted:

Why was Gnosticism singled out anyway? Checking with wikipedia they seem to believe that there is a supreme being, but that a bunch of people have been tricked into worshiping God's handyman. Okay, that's a little insulting if you are a member of the handyman-worshiping religions, but as long as the guy isn't rubbing your noses in it all the time it should be no big deal. Most religions teach that other religions are in error.

For me Gnosticism is key to masonic ideals, spirituality through knowledge, to look within yourself rather than toward any divine persons (ie popes, priests, gods, whatever) which explains why as ideological opposites, the catholic church in particular have had reason to fall out with freemasonry.

dougie
Dec 28, 2012

Innerguard posted:

Brilliant, are you enjoying your term as RWM?

I'm SD (WJW elect) Lodge 19 Coupar O'Fife, Province of Fife and Kinross. You and any other travelling Brethren are more than welcome to swing our way if you happen to be in the area.

It's great, a little daunting but definitely worth it. I am sure there is someone from Coupar came through here for a meeting, there was a group from several lodges including Perth and Doune, possibly with those. They came at easter every year led by a Rab MacLean, they did my Fellowcraft and Mark degrees.

dougie
Dec 28, 2012

Just performed my first Entered Apprentice degree as RWM. I didn't anticipate the sense of pride I felt afterward in making someone a Mason. Incredible experience.