Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Emron posted:

Buddy, I’ve got some bad news about most American masons.

(In Ohio, almost every Mason I’ve met is a relentless right wing partisan, especially online. A PGM of the state regularly posts things that come close to “liberalism is a mental disorder” type stuff. It’s really off putting, and the level of spite I see regularly from my brothers is something I struggle with in Masonry)

Love, respect and tolerance only for people who agree with us?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
I am starting to catch serious poo poo from the WM that i am missing so many meetings. I dont WANT to miss the meetings, but every time we have one there is either night shift work I have to do, an obligation from my kids I have to attend, or my wife is off on a business trip. I had my last meeting monday night until September. :(

Then the WM says to me "So if you can't make the meetings, why did you take an officer chair?"

"Well WM, I didn't want to take a chair, I wanted to be a sideliner this year, you basically guilted me into taking a seat."

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

KillianLett posted:

If you were up front about being busy and taking the spot as a favor, the WM is at fault for complaining.

This coming from a PM who asked a couple busy guys to take chairs and didn't complain when they only made around half the meetings.

Yeah, i was pretty reluctant to take any chair, and i expressed that too him last year, right after I was raised.

I am a master of ceremony, so i only walk around during degrees and don't have any speaking parts. BUT..i missed all three degrees this year due to outside obligations. I'm not happy about it, and the WM was not happy either.

[edit] something something something "if within the length of my cabletow' something something something...

Cimber fucked around with this message at 15:51 on May 9, 2018

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Loomer posted:

In my jurisdiction, the vast majority of work is done in the EA degree. We never open in second or third off the bat either - you always open first, then second, then third - so the only work done in the further degrees is specific degree work or discussions relating to it.

Interesting. In NY we open by default on the 3rd, and if we need work done on the lower degrees we actually lower the lodge to the required degree.

Except on Monday at Grand lodge they voted to allow lodges to open on the 1st or 2nd degree instead if it suited them. A lot of the old guard are against this, I think its a good thing personally, since that allows the EAs and FCs to see opening and closings.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
I did the Why's and Wherefor's on the 1st degree the other night. Did it flawlessly, which was really nice, especially after the Q&As was unfortunately badly muffed right before. I need to find a new piece of ritual to do now. I was thinking working tools for the 3rd degree, but that seems to be too easy mode. Perhaps Q&As for the 3rd, since no one in my jurisdiction needs to memorize it.

How are you brothers doing now that covid is starting to hopefully go away?

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
Charges sound like very important thing every mason should know by heart TBH. I think I will try to work on the 2nd charge since we are doing that in October, and our WM is doing the middle chamber.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Ataxerxes posted:

Nice! There is also an English language one in Helsinki, recognized by the Finnish Grand Lodge.

Which ritual do you use? Local ritual translated into english or another jurisdictions?

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Ataxerxes posted:

I'm not certain as I am a member of a Finnish speaking one, but to my understanding they use one originally from the US or the UK, can't remember which. The Finnish ritual was originally translated around 1920's by some Finns from the US who got their degrees in the US, moved back to Finland and got their translated ritual approved by several US Grand Lodges. To my understanding the Finnish Grand Lodge is rather widely recognized.

The Swedish ritual is entirely its own thing, but the Finnish Grand Lodge has an agreement with them so brothers from one can visit the other, depending which, if any, attendant degrees they are members in.

Thats very interesting!

How do you title your lodges? Here in the US its either AF&AM or F&AM depending who chartered them back in the colonial days.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Fair_Winds posted:

I have a couple questions about joining, on the inquiry form it asks about employment status. Will my financial status impact my chances of joining a lodge? Should I just wait until I'm more financially stable? I've been thinking about this for over a year now. I'm sure I'd like to join, since I now have control over my own schedule. As opposed to being at the whim of the Consumer Retail Management Structures and a Site Foreman. I left my last job a month ago to focus on building myself a profitable business that allows me the freedom to be someone other than the business. Should I wait, just fill-out the form, or message the one guy I know from the radio club and ask? Any advice is welcome, thanks!

I don't think any lodge really cares all that much what your financial situation is like, other than concern if dues and initiation fees would be too burdensome for you. Dues can range from anywhere between 50-150 a year depending on the lodge, and initiation fees might be 2-300. All that would be explained to you before you sign on the dotted line.

For sure talk to the guys at the lodge and ask any question you might have.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

BONESAWWWWWW posted:

I think I've even seen those initiation fees waived for hardship as well. I've not really seen a lodge that's "in it for the money" even a little bit.

Any lodge that is in it for the money isn't a lodge you want to join.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
When you are doing ritual, you pause for dramatic effect and a PM instantly jumps in from the sidelines to prompt you

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

knuthgrush posted:

i'm in this post and i don't like it.

WE JUST WANT YOU TO SUCCEED, OK!?

The PM gives the wrong prompt.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Sub Rosa posted:

I've been taking Shawn Eyer's Early Texts of Freemasonry seminar and my mind has been blown multiple times by things I've learned. It is the sort of Masonic education I expected and never got when I joined. Highly recommended. A new cohort is now being planned, so follow this facebook page or get in touch with Shawn via the page if you are interested.

https://www.facebook.com/masonicformation/posts/216571957068290

Any non facebook sources? I've been off FB for a few years now and intend to stay that way.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
Just did a 1st degree. Had the Deputy GM for the state attend. That was fun.

I was doing the why's and wherefors, nailed it. Perfect.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Cheese Thief posted:

Can I get a referral to join the Masons? I am a pretty well established guy and would like to take my networking skills to the next level.

Sure. Tell your local lodge I sent you. I'm sort of a big deal, you see.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

vortmax posted:

Yeah, just show up at your local lodge's public meeting and tell them you want to join for networking

But in all seriousness, Freemasonry isn't for networking. If networking is what you are looking for join the Rotary Club. Freemasonry is a men's fraternity that provides social interaction, charity, moral lessons and fun.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Sub Rosa posted:

I once was advised by a brother to send my resume to another brother who worked in a hiring capacity for a major telecom. I did not. Probably a blunder on my part, honestly.

I did have the impression that said brother respected that my intentions were not mercenary or it wouldn't have been offered, but still it just felt too much like something I wouldn't respect myself for if my career did end up based upon being preferentially hired for something over someone more qualified because I am a Mason.

Some advice and suggesting a possible client is one thing. The insinuation of "this guy who has never met you will give you a job because I told him to" though didn't sit well with me. But maybe I'm super naive and should have jumped at the opportunity. It isn't like I've had many others.

I don't avoid or seek out business with a brother mason. If I do business with a brother all I expect is that he will give me a square deal, on the level and nothing more.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Chubby Henparty posted:

Installation this afternoon, the 1 (one) time per year I wear the black bow tie instead of the straight one. Ritual work for the installation involves the traditional searching of the youtube for the reminder on tying it properly

Do what everyone in my lodge does, we use captain clipon.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

deported to Canada posted:

I've never really understood the appeal of having anything to do with clandestine lodges. It's like the loyal antidiluvian order of the buffalo's, we have a lot of them round my neck of the woods and we all know they are just bootleg masons who couldn't get approved, why would you even want to join that?

Some guys I know think the clandestine lodges have more 'pure' ritual that has not been diluted for centuries by UGLE as revenge for the moderns vs anchiens schism. These are also the guys that have very deep feelings on lots of subjects, if you get my drift.

That being said, PH masonry, at least in NY, does seem to have a lot older ritual than GLNY ritual from what I've seen.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Bargearse posted:

Thanks, everyone involved did a great job and it certainly was a memorable night. Our WM even made allowances for my girlfriend to visit us in the south afterwards and I even got to let her in on the secret location of the fourth floor beer fridge.

I've had a few people approach me about joining Mark and Chapter, and I think I may take them up on the offer, at least get to see what it's all about.

I've found that there's a lot you can learn from GL drama, and apply those lessons to your own Freemasonry, but only when observed from a safe distance. Popcorn optional but recommended.

Honestly I'd suggest waiting at least a year or two before joining any other body. You've had a huge info dump and you need that time to digest what was taught you, see a few more degrees and start to take part in a few. You learn a lot by studying the ritual in preperation for degrees. If your location does it, I'd highly recommend learning the why's and wherefors from the 1st. Q&A is also good, but many people do that. If you learn the W&W's you get invited to other lodges to do it as well, which is a great opportunity.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
Oi vey. I heard last night about some big drama in my state thats coming down the line. Apparently someone joined in 2019 and receieved the 3 degrees, but soon after transitioned to a woman.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Iymarra posted:

Good for her, I hope she gets all the care and support she needs in her transition.

Normally i'd agree, however part of the discussion last night was involving the suspicion that she joined for the purposes of 'bringing awareness'.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Sub Rosa posted:

And is that suspicion based on anything other than a prejudiced attitude?

I don't know, this is what I've heard from the DD and someone in the grand line. I also don't know her personally. That being said, the DD is a really upstanding and ethical man, and he's bothered by this whole situation.

I do not have any personal issue with transgender individuals myself. I believe they are free to follow their own path towards happiness, and I fully support their right to chose how they want to live their lives.

That being said, I'm still trying to work out mentally how I feel about trans women in the fraternity. Not out of any prejudices, but how it fits with the obligation as written in my state. If someone is in the process of transitioning when she takes the degrees, and views herself as a woman at that time, does that violate the 3rd degree obligation? Does it constitute secret evasion of mind? If before surgery and hormone therapy does she consider herself a woman? If so, does that constitute as falsehood when filling out the petition?

If the woman in question joined expressly for the purposes of causing drama and sparking a fight I would have a big problem with that.

Like I said, I'm still trying to work all this out mentally, and I ask the other brothers here to be gentle with me. :)

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Keetron posted:

One comment: While I am raised a master mason, this was done in the Netherlands and there are differences across the globe. Trying to learn but you are right in saying this should not be done in a public forum.
Considering I drive a motorbike, I'll be content in thinking this is otherwise not limited in use and will consider it, with some small modifications, as an upper arm tattoo.
Well, there are differences, yeah, but those differences are not _that_ big, unless your 3rd degree didn't talk about GMHA.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
I got pretty upset today at lodge when the WM used the term 'libtard' to describe one of the writers of a Masonic book, who also happens to be a brother.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Sub Rosa posted:

There is a very old term called swarming to be mentioned. Traditionally the thing young discontented brothers are supposed to do is splinter.

I have the impression that it's much harder to stand up a new lodge these days, which means it has been more likely the young and the restless end up bouncing off.

"Why do you want to go off and start a new lodge when you should stay at this lodge that is 112 years old and support it! I know the DDGM and i'll tell him not to allow you to form a new lodge!"

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Paramemetic posted:

Lodges that upgrade to full color are not honoring our traditions and should be made clandestine. George Washington took his oath in black and white after all!!!!!!!!

Nor did they have sound. In the middle of the oath they would pause as people would put up placards showing what was supposed to be said.

The video above is really more the Shriners than Blue lodge (What exactly is blue?). Being an advanced order thats why it's a talkie, rather than the traditional silent film.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
I wonder how many of those brothers have laid down their working tools vs having been NPDed out?

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Head Bee Guy posted:

Anyone been to any lodges in manhattan? I haven’t been active in about five years, but i’m curious what they got going on in the city. There are a ton of different lodges at the Grand Lodge, and I’m trying to sus out the vibe of each

I am on Long Island so I don't know any specific lodges there, but I know a guy who works at the library. If you can get a tour of the Grand Lodge building you absolutely should, its amazing.

Oh, Garabaldi lodge is doing a 1st degree soon in Manhattan. You really should try to get tickets to see that, its very different from any 1st degree you've ever seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Head Bee Guy posted:

is that the one done in Italian?

Yeah, and in a very dramatic style that is impressive. Brother's come from all over the east coast to see it.