Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Baronjutter posted:

If a ritual would be awkward to do with a woman maybe the ritual needs to be changed

The point is we don't want the ritual changed. Half the reason I became a Mason was for its ties to history, changing the ritual removes those ties. What I went through when I was initiated is the exact same thing George Washington went through more than two centuries earlier.

And again, there's the oath. We can't allow women or atheists to become Masons; as soon as we do, we violate our oaths, even if we really want women and atheists to become Masons. And once we violate our oaths, we are no longer Masons and so neither are the women or atheists.

:commissar:
(Formerly Colonial Air Force)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

CopRock posted:

I am all about the beaver, my good brother.

On that note, I am a member of the Fraternal Order of the Beaver.

:commissar:
(Formerly Colonial Air Force)

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Snowy posted:

Is this a LARPing lodge?

It's a lodge for historical reenactors. Yes.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

7thBatallion posted:

But I'm only an EAM...
Oooooh!
http://www.customwaxnseals.net/masonic-1-entered-apprentic-mason/

It's not a ring, it's 1/6 the price, and is proper one with both ends of the compass under the bible.
I know what I want for my birthday. Along with an airlock. Actual several airlocks.

Well now, I've been looking to get a good seal made. Thaks for the site! (Unrelated to masonry, but it works anyway.)

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

INTJ Mastermind posted:

Just a tip for the new guys. Be careful when riding the REDACTED. drat thing took a bite out of my new suit! :(

Your birthday suit?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

TemetNosceXVIcubus posted:

When joining the Scottish Rite, which is open to Christians only

Is that an Australia thing? Here it is definitely not.

Also most of the Founders we have who were also Masons were Deists, so at least in the US you wouldn't need to "hide" that (although you'd never be asked either).

Kurtofan posted:

Do some people join a Masonic order for influence or to gain connections?
Does it really work?

So it's a new thread, which means I get to tell my story again. I didn't join Masonry for the connections to people (at least not living people), but I made some anyway.

I was Raised in December of 2007 in California, where I lived my entire life. In 2008, my wife and I moved to New Hampshire (which is an entirely different, non-Masonicly-related story). We had no friends or family here at all. We literally knew no one.

The first chance I could, I attended a local lodge meeting. I immediately had 200 friends. That's not an exaggeration, either, every one of the Brothers there spoke with me and offered help if I needed it. I even got some advice for job-hunting.

So while I did not set out to make connections, and certainly these aren't business connections (although I've seen those occur), it's almost impossible to avoid.

3 Action Economist fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Dec 25, 2012

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

MrWilderheap posted:

So a few years back I read up on the secret rituals (purely out of curiosity) on some crazy fundamentalist :supaburn:MASONS ARE SATANISTS:supaburn: website. Would this be a problem if I tried to join a lodge?

No, although it might be slightly less exciting. Part of the fun for me, anyway, was not knowing what was going to happen.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Sub Rosa posted:

This is oft claimed but not to my knowledge true. Franklin is the closest, but more so in his youth, and he more often identified himself as a Christian with Deist leanings. It is also the case that Deism was sometimes controversial in those times. I actually think that Franklin stopped attending lodge after a Deist was kicked out for not believing in a God that rewards good and punishes evil.

Well he stopped claiming he was a Deist because it wasn't popular. That doesn't mean he wasn't a Deist.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

I joined at 26.

Most of my friends and family were intrigued, but didn't really care either way.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

I don't know what the Grand and Glorious Order of Knights of the Creeping Serpent is, but the Grand Master of California sure is pissed off at them:

John F. Lowe, Grand Master posted:

RE: Revocation of Any and All Recognition of, or Permission for Membership in, the Grand and Glorious Order of Knights of the Creeping Serpent (aka "Snakes") by California Masons.

[Some background info that basically says this group required one to be a Mason to join, but conferred degrees so that was not allowed. A referendum was voted on by CA Masons and 90.5% voted not to allow the group in. Instead, they formed a social club, which was allowed, so long as they didn't confer degrees.]

Over the past several months, I have received corroborated evidence that the same group, operating since 2009 as a social club, has in fact conferred a ritual ceremony upon candidates, which under their bylaws is prohibited. On or about September 8, 2012, an initiatory ritual was performed on some sixty candidates at a private residence, known to be the residence of the current president of the Social Club. This ritual activity included required actions and activity by the candidates that is not permissible under our California Masonic Code and Ritual.

The candidates were required to partially or fully disrobe, crawl upon the ground, and perform several physical actions that are, at a minimum, degrading. These actions required of the candidates, as well as the behavior of those members in attendance, can only be described as hazing; again, not permissible under California Masonic Code or Ritual. Holding this ceremony at a private residence instead of a Lodge hall further indicates that those in charge preferred keeping the ceremony clandestine.

[...]

Those who acted in charge of this occasion are now liable for charges of unmasonic conduct, having broken from a social club to a degree-conferring club or order without permission of the Grand Lodge. Those who were candidates at this event are also subject to charges; for as in civil jurisprudence, ignorance is no excuse for breaking laws. We all should ever be wary of any degree being held in a clandestine manner, particularly at a residence.

In consequence of the above, effective January 1, 2013, the Grand and Glorious Order of Knights of the Creeping Serpent (also known as Snakes, or Tribu) as a social club of any definition, or as an order or rite, whose prerequisite for membership is that of Master Mason, is no longer recognized or authorized by the Grand Lodge of California.

Any California Mason that is also a member of the GGOKCS, the GGOKCS Social Club of Southern California, or any other club, rite, organization or successor thereof associated with the GGOKCS must immediately terminate his membership in these organizations. This edict applies to all California Masons, whether residing in our jurisdiction or any foreign jurisdiction, as well as any Mason residing in California whose membership lies with another jurisdiction.

Any California Mason or Mason residing in California holding membership after January 1, 2013 is subject to charges of unmasonic conduct.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Temper your passions. ;)

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Paramemetic posted:

Sort of, yes, except there is no Grand Lodge of the United States and instead each individual State has its own GL, so it's not exactly fair to group the US together, as that would be roughly akin to grouping "Europe" or "the Commonwealths" together, which would probably give the latter a fighting chance.

I don't think that matters as much as comparing the numbers by nation to the total population.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Ari posted:

Long as we're talking about it - why isn't there a Grand Lodge of the United States? I remember reading something in a history book that they wanted to create one, but some events happened and the dice fell that now we have a Grand Lodge for each state (plus DC and I think one for each territory).

It would make things quite a lot easier with regard to internal politics, if a bit harder to manage.

You have to think about the history of the United States in general.

Originally, we were 13 colonies, each with their own governments, answerable only to the Crown. After 1776, we were 13 separate States, each with their own governments, allied with the either States (united, one might say!).

It wasn't really until 1789, and even more so until after the Civil War, that States started to be seen as "answerable" to a unified, Federal government.

In the same way, there would have been no way a Grand Lodge of United States would have worked.

Also, think about the different kinds of lodges we have. F&AM, AF&AM, &c. That started long before Independence.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

I don't think York Rite requires you to be a Christian, but they do ask you to swear to defend Christianity.

Take that to mean whatever you'd like, I guess.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Very Nice Eraser posted:

Gotcha. I don't want to spoil this thread and the information is just a Google away. But I do have some questions regarding the spiritual overtones of the rituals. To be vague, how do those Masons whose religious beliefs don't include an afterlife or resurrection deal with the relevant rituals?

Some Grand Lodges require a belief in the afterlife, but also, the rituals are designed to be meaningful to each Brother in their own way. Basically, they deal with it however they want.

quote:

On a different subject, earlier in this thread a few people posted that no man has the authority to change the underpinnings of Masonic tradition: men only, no atheists, etc. That argument makes sense in religion because there's typically a belief in a supernatural power that establishes the rules of the universe, but how does that work in the lodge? In other words, since the traditions aren't backed by fear of spiritual repercussions, do you foresee a day when they'll adjust to appease modern sentiments on equality?

We've discussed it before, but I'll reiterate what I've said. Unfortunately, I can't be crystal clear here because some of it is part of the oath we take, and I can't give specifics.

Suffice it to say, we've sworn not to allow women or atheists become Masons. In order for those things to change, we'd have to break our oaths, and then we'd no longer be Masons, so leading a woman or an atheist through initiation would not long be done in a "regular" manner, and thus it can't be done.

So regardless of how we all feel about it, we can't do it because of oaths and logic.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

The difference is that none of the Ancient Landmarks nor anything in our oaths ever prevented people with darker skin from becoming a Mason.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Ari posted:

I challenge any Mason in this thread to say that he has never once broken his obligations or violated the charges given to him.

Ok.

I've never once broken my obligations or violated the charges given to me.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

lord1234 posted:

Seems BMW is anti-masonic(or at least thinks we're similar to a satanic cult).

http://themasonicblog.blogspot.com/2013/02/mercedes-benz-super-bowl-commercial.html

According to a link later down the way on that page, the commercial has already been edited.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Paramemetic posted:

Upon reflection, the only grounds I can see for Satan not being eligible for Freemasonry are that he can't really demonstrate that he is a man of good report. I'd have to wait for the investigating committee report. He was freeborn, he's certainly of lawful age, he undoubtedly believes in God, and he appears quite plainly to be male in this commercial, sooooo. . .

:v:

He was not free born. That was the whole point.

He's also not a man.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Guess it wasn't really a link:

quote:

Mike PooleFebruary 4, 2013 at 11:25 AM

Mercedes USA Facebook page apparently indicates the commercial has been edited. An apology would be nice, but I doubt that will happen.

Mike Poole, PM
Urbana #157
AF&AM of IL

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

I think the number's about 6 million, isn't?

Also, Congratulations!

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

lord1234 posted:

I would definitely visit a few lodges and discuss this if you feel free to.

I wouldn't even do that. The question of "Do you believe in a Supreme Being?" is a personal one, meant to be answered by your own conscience. There's no need to ever tell anyone what your particular beliefs are.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Local Resident posted:

Why are you guys pushing the price of buttcoins back down to below $30?

It's we've always done.

It's what we are doing.

It's what we will always do.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Flying Fortress posted:

I've been thinking about that original post for a few days now, and I have mixed feelings. While I agree with the poster who immediately responded that there should be no discrimination based on appearance, I also feel that a certain degree of decorum and respect for the craft must be observed. And a mohawk or piercings does not automatically negate that, either. If someone showed up with a yellow plaid suit I'd probably feel that was inappropriate, so I can see how some fellows may be put out by radical hairdos. Having not seen the gentleman in question I can't make any real judgement, and I mostly feel it's fine. I also feel, however, that the dignity of the lodge should trump any zany fashion choices. You can do that stuff every day, so maybe it wouldn't kill you to tone it down for meetings.
Am I making any sense, or am I way off? I'd be curious to hear more opinions.

Way back in the old thread someone was talking about how they wanted to display their Warhammer 40K badge things on their apron, and I thought that was really childish and inappropriate; much more so than a mohawk.

Brother Joseph Brant had a "radical" hairstyle and piercings, and he was raised in the 1776.

3 Action Economist fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Mar 5, 2013

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

The argument, at least with the "swear to defend the Christian faith" wording, is that you're defending a Christian's right to have said faith, to worship as they see fit.

I don't really agree with that interpretation, but to each their own.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Being Secretary does make your user name rather fitting, though.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

QPZIL posted:

I was reading through our Grand Lodge code and constitution, and found out that I'm not allowed to rock a baller apron at lodge meetings :(

That's kind of a bummer. I would love to pick up an 18th or 19th century apron and wear it to lodge.

If that rule ever changes, this is the guy to go to: http://www.craftsmansapron.com/bespoke.html

He's actually giving a speech at a sister lodge here in NH in a couple of weeks, but I won't be able to attend.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

I haven't updated it in years, but I had a blog from when I was going through the degrees as well, and I posted some of the stuff I wrote for my lodge (CA requires essays):

http://masonsdiary.blogspot.com/

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

Am I the only Mason in the history of the fraternity that finds degrees boring as hell at this point? :(

Probably, although I hate that my lodge does 3 to 4 brothers at a time.

Mostly because it wears out the goat.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

stubblyhead posted:

Wow, that's really neat. My great-grandfather was a Mason in Riverside at about the same time. Corona Lodge is no longer around, and as near as I can tell it merged with Pasadena Lodge #272 sometime around 1990.

My mother lodge is in Corona, and is a merged lodge (Temescal Palms #314). Which lodge was it?

I'm also familiar with the Riverside lodges, since that's where I grew up.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

stubblyhead posted:

He was a member of Evergreen Lodge #259. The GL down there was able to send me his degree dates, but that was about it. Evergreen's web presence is basically non-existent, so I haven't been able to find much else about his masonic career. Not that I've tried all that hard, mind you, but it would be cool to see his name on a list of past masters or something like that.

I am aware of Evergreen lodge, though I never visited.

It looks like they have a shared website at socalmasons.com

Here's an old Trestleboard with their phone number, just call up and ask the Secretary to find the info and send it to you: http://www.socalmasons.com/uploads/ev01-11tb.pdf

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Carbolic posted:

I'm asking questions because I'm curious whether members of a particular fraternity (the Masons) see any parallels between a fraternity and a "whites only" organization,

No.

quote:

and whether they think that posterity will view fraternities in the same light as "whites only" organizations are viewed by most of society now.

No.

quote:

There have been a couple of mentions in the thread about a former "whites only" rule

It was never a "rule". It was racist men just voting no on black prospective members.

quote:

as well as one mention of a former "no maimed man" rule.

This is still the rule, but it's not as hard a rule, and it's always ignored. I am not aware of any time in history it was not ignored.

The rest of what you asked has been answered in the OP and elsewhere in this thread.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

TemetNosceXVIcubus posted:

For those that haven't been through the ritual, because you're either a woman or a non-mason. It can be weird reading this stuff, I think you should picture it like a scene from a movie. Like one of those WWII movies where everyone has volunteered to go and fight the Hun, and they're getting their medical done.

So everyone is lined up totally naked with their id in their hands and a guy in a white lab coat tells them to turn their head and cough. See they don't show you that at the same time as the guy is turning his head and coughing, the medical dude is cupping the guy's family jewels and checking for defects and injuries, and listens to their chest with a stethoscope.

In the initiation rite we do something similar, except because we're supposed to be builders, we don't use a stethoscope, we use a 24 inch gauge.

I'm having a prostate exam today, turning 50 this year, and I thought that maybe we should do that as part of the initiation. We have a few doctors in the Lodge, so getting a medical done at the same time would be a good thing.

Is this some kind of Albert Pike joke?

Anyway, I'm not going to give anything away here that almost everyone doesn't know, but the point some were making about it being "uncomfortable" for women is because they'd be blindfolded and then have their chest bared. Then they'd be paraded around the room, still blindfolded and bare-chested, and caused to kneel.

So I guess the argument would be "Well change that part so it's not so scary for women!" And at that point we might as well just have a tea social, because now it's no longer Freemasonry anyway.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Keetron posted:

Nope, it is not like that under the GOdN.

What is GOdN?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Ah, well, that sort of proves my point.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Well Grand Orient in France is not a regular lodge, but it's moot because that's not what you were talking about.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Sub Rosa posted:

Still not really getting it. I've only seen EAs in my home jurisdiction so maybe we do something different.

Yeah, nope. I was never bare-chested.

We put our candidates in clothing like this.

You'll notice there are flaps in the chest area which may be opened and all modesty be retained.

That's pretty firmly "clothed" (or "clad" depending on the verbiage) in my opinion.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

I was trying to be vague, although I can edit mine too if you think it's too obvious.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Mr. Maltose posted:

I've never met a mason who's had his affiliation aid in doing business, but otherwise you're exactly correct.

Other than in the sense that "Oh! I know a guy who is in that business, let me get you his contact info", that's correct. But that's what you get hanging out with a lot of people every week or so. That aspect is no different from Chamber of Commerce or even "My kid's soccer team".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

SimonChris posted:

Coming up next: Samwise Gamgee investigates mysterious masonic murders in "The Freemason".

I really have no idea what to think of this. It would help if their Photos section contained more than a single drawing of "A mysterious new symbol."

Sounds pretty stupid.

quote:

When Cyrus, a brilliant but eccentric freelance writer, is hired to investigate the mysterious murder of a wealthy banker, he suddenly finds himself thrust into the cryptic world of Freemasonry. Cyrus quickly learns the killer will strike again if not given an object shrouded by hundreds of years of arcane secrecy. He must embrace ideals extending beyond his natural senses or suffer the same grisly fate of the murdered banker.