Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
I'm a Jewish Freemason and I don't have a single banker in my family. We're not even that good with money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

During last week's EA degree, the candidate was told that ancient masons wore their aprons a certain way to keep from "soiling themselves".

That's a minor word difference that changes the whole meaning.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

There's nothing you can do. We're too deeply embedded in the workings of governments and society. We have our fingers in everything.

It's too late.

It's... too late.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Crankit posted:

It says that there's racial segregation, women and people born slaves aren't allowed to join, looking at wikipedia it says disabled people aren't allowed to join either. I don't know how any organization can still have these views and have people join up. Why hasn't their charter been updated?

You should read the thread. The answers are here.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

New ring!

It's period correct for the 18th century!

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

http://www.craftsmansapron.com/products/rings

Makes awesome custom aprons, too.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

I have no idea what you're talking about, but Googling comes up with some rather old articles. It looks the Shrine and Arkansas have been at odds on-and-off for some time.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

I'm not a Shriner, but I'm not sure I'm bothered by that at all. They used to require members to have "completed" Scottish or York Rite, and then they got rid of that.

I don't really see any reason for them to be Masons (not that I see a reason for them NOT to be Masons), other than a huge chunk of the $2m a day US Mason spend on charity is at their hospitals, so it makes our numbers look nice.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

KweezNArt posted:

just be joining up for the booze and the funny cars will somehow dilute the Shrine as an institution by untethering it from its basic Masonic underpinnings.

The "Masonic underpinnings" are really just "We can't drink at the Lodge, let's form a group to get drunk with friends from the Lodge!"

I mean that really -is- their history, and that's fine, but let's not pretend it's something else. People already join it for the booze (and maybe less-so the funny cars), it's just that right now those people happen to be Brothers.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

I wish, oh how I wish, that there could be a blast out to all lodges pointing out that the whole "THE ANCIENT CHARTERS THING REQUIRE THE IMMUTABILITY OF THE SOUL" thing was invented by a guy who died in the 1960s.

I'm getting really tired of this. :mad:

Write it up, I'll send it out.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

I joined cold, too.

As an amateur historian of 18th Century America :haw: I wanted a stronger connection with the era.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Purple Prince posted:

I'm curious about this. The one thing stopping me from going out and enquiring at a Lodge is the rule about not breaking the law. I feel that unjust laws are meaningless and can, in some cases should, be disobeyed. For example, here in the UK we have laws that disallow certain types of protest without authorisation from the local authority. This gives councils a great deal of power to silence certain political groups in the name of public safety. In particularly egregious examples, far-right nationalists have been allowed to march but antifascist groups have been prevented from forming counter-protests. If a Mason were part of an unlawful protest, would this lead to disciplinary action from their Lodge?

What is the rationale behind obeying the law at all times, and how flexible is it?

You're in the UK so I don't know how well this will go over, but in the US my argument has always been that many of the Founders (e.g., almost all of the Sons of Liberty, 9 signers of the Declaration of Independence, 12 of the signers of the US Constitution, &c.) were Masons, and they were definitely breaking laws.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Solvent posted:

Nobody's perfect. I personally love to jaywalk, and rarely wear a seatbelt when driving. These are laws.

Only one of those is a law in my state. :smugdog:

But basically, yes.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Treason against The Crown was certainly felonious in 1776.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

ex posted:

So here's my question: Is it okay to bring up the fact that I was initiated a while back?

Absolutely.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Also the NEXT candidate will appreciate that you've worn underwear.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

We have a TO Lodge here in New Hampshire. I haven't been yet, but I've moved much closer to it, so I plan to rectify that.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

No no serious posted:

Brothers: I've been a Mason for 10 years, and I'm embarrassed to say I never read a single Masonic book (well, I think I attempted Morals & Dogma once but gave up after a few pages). I don't even know where to start.

What should I read?

I'd ask my lodge brothers, but I'm under a double-tie to my embarrassment since I'm a Sr officer poised to sit in the east next year.

Freemasons for Dummies.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

JohnnyCanuck posted:

Read the thread, got interested, then remembered my last Pope really hated you guys and my current Pope hasn't had enough time to say anything about it. So I'll be sitting on the sidelines.

Maybe I'll join up with the KofC and hang out with my Dad, though.

I know hundreds of Catholic Freemasons.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

PrinceRandom posted:

Why is Masonry such an un-Catholic activity? Is it because it came about primarily in Protestant places?

Largely because they allow all faiths.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

It's prohibition-era thinking. I mean our whole nation was founded from alcohol.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Jeek posted:

Thanks for the answers. It is interesting how much variation there are as well - I thought you would have some sort of central leadership that has the final word on important matters like these.

The members themselves are the final authority.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

QPZIL posted:

Personally, I have a much less tenuous definition of "God" than most would. But, the one question you're asked before being initiated, is if you believe in a higher power that rewards good and punishes evil.

I was not asked that. It's one of those things that varies by jurisdiction.

Something to keep in mind is that the Catholic Church has deemed being a Freemason a sin (or something? I'm not Catholic I don't know how it works), and you can't take communion if you're a Freemason. Of course no one in the United States gives a rat's rear end, because like everything else we do, we cling to our American Exceptionalism.

But if you're a devout Catholic, that's something you should think about.

E: Also, if you don't care, but like both, do both!

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Obviously not, he owes them a large pile of money.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

It actually kind of does.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

http://braden168.wordpress.com/2014/04/17/why-you-shouldnt-become-a-freemason/

This should be in the OP.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

7thBatallion posted:

Are we still talking about that wargaming appendant body?

We really do need one. I mean there are reenactor ones (would you like to see my beaver?) so why not?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

I'm not sure the ritual would work if one were Deaf, but there are plenty of Masons in the world, I'm sure some of them know sign language (I used to be pretty fluent).

Actually, even being blind, there are things that need to be observed in the ritual.

I guess we hate women AND the handicapped. :v:

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Blacks can absolutely join any lodge, at least per the rules.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

PrinceRandom posted:

What's the history of Jews like with Freemasonry? It seemed to be a primarily a Protestant thing at the beginning.

Hi. I'm a Jewish Freemason.

The degree work uses the building of Solomon's Temple, so it's all good.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

COOL CORN posted:

Are you in any of the appendant bodies? There are certain degrees in the York and Scottish Rites that I think would be difficult for a Jewish Mason to go through in good conscience. Well, the York Rite degrees obviously, but I'm just curious if you've been through the YR or SR degrees.

I'm in Scottish Rite, it was fine. I'm not in York Rite for the reasons you're probably aware of.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Yeah that's so un-Masonic, it's like the perfect example to use as "this is the opposite of a Mason."

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Sithsaber posted:

The justifications and rationale are different (I'm okay with the male priesthood). That being said, I'd tolerate not letting in women if transmen stayed out too. Others and myself have explained why.

Ps. Oh god, you're loyal to Alabama. Our enmity is inevitable.

Hmm, quite, quite. :wotwot:

3 Action Economist fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Aug 29, 2014

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Debate about Freemasonry does belong in this thread, but I haven't seen much of it in the last few pages. A debate requires some knowledge of the topic from both sides.

That said....

Sithsaber posted:

I'll probably make a new email tomorrow although I don't get why a debate about freemasonry shouldn't go in the freemasonry thread. Board culture here is kind of inclined toward echo chambers.

Fascinating, quite so. :wotwot:

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Brilliant!

And it saved me from having to explain "ad hominem."

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

New Hampshire is fairly lax most of the time, and we generally have a dress-down lodge night just before the summer break.

Me, personally, I prefer things more traditional, to the point that the TO lodge we have isn't traditional enough (it harkens back to the late 19th C. and the railroad days, hardly what I'd consider "traditional").

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Emron posted:

Hmmm yes, but have you thought about what this says w/r/t reinforcing the presence of the Jungian duality in the ritual???

Now look what you did!

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Freemasonry was created in 1717. There were some precursors to that, obviously, since that date is when the Grand Lodge formed, and they merged a bunch of other smaller clubs, but it's the date of modern freemasonry.

Anything else you hear about the history of the Lodge is essentially bullshit. We did not actually build any pyramids or temples or anything else, and we had nothing to do with the Templars.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Noctis Horrendae posted:

You're telling me that the Freemasons weren't controlling the world since the dawn of time? What?

e: The story I've always heard was that there was a group of stonemasons in the ~1100s onwards that called themselves Freemasons and set the foundation for the organization's rituals and all that, but that could be conspiracy theorist mumbo-jumbo.

It's more or less what we ourselves claim, but it's probably almost entirely untrue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Neither, although some of the Mason-run charities are probably non-profits.