Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

SimonChris posted:

http://freemasonsunited.online/

I'm not sure who is organizing this, but it seems like an interesting idea.

Don't think I'll be submitting my name and info to a random website on the Internet about Freemasons :tinfoil:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

A pretty fair article: http://www.break.com/article/20-things-you-probably-didnt-know-about-freemasonry-3037478

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

We don't formally care about kinship one way or the other, although I'm sure plenty of Brothers would love to talk about it.

You don't have to be related to a Mason to be one.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

It doesn't count as cheating with the goat

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

They really weren't, it's been pretty open forever. I should do some research on when it changed, but my guess would be in the mid-19th century during the anti-Masonic fever. And then only until that nonsense passed.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Half naked, even

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

The completely historically accurate documentary National Treasure.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Rest in Peace, Bro. Glenn

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Loomer posted:

On the note of multiple candidates, that's one thing I sure as hell won't countenance in my Lodge I I ever take the chair. No one does the third degree from the sidelines.

Yeah, I'm not a fan of it either. They do it a lot here, but not where I was raised. It was jarring when I first saw it, and I feel like it takes away from the experience.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Old Dirty Cumburgs posted:

Ritual isn't everyone's thing. I don't think anyone joins for that reason.

I did, but more because of its ties to history (I went through the same ritual that Geo. Washington did).

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

I wore a suit but, technically, the only thing you ought be concerned with wearing is clean underwear.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

CountFosco posted:

What does the G stand for?

God. Or Geometry.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

I like the one I got from http://prolinedesigns.com/

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Probably the just before Industrial Revolution, which is also probably the major reason for its decline.

There was a resurgence in the post-WW2 era, but then in the 60s kids didn't want to do what dad did.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

I've been having the same issues. I mean, I'm way behind on dues anyway, but I'm not really motivated to get caught up and listen to Fox News parroted everywhere around me.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

I joined primarily for the link to history, so it's extra sad for me knowing that the Brothers of the American Revolution were the liberals of their day, and the Brothers of today who pretend to hold their predecessors in high esteem would have instead supported the King.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Yes, that's certainly true.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

It isn't like that in lodge at all, no. That's absolutely forbidden.

Unfortunately most lodge nights are also boring business meetings, and the fun is more the meal beforehand where the politics comes out. And it's all over Facebook.

For me, obviously. I'm sure there are more liberal lodges... somewhere.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Head Bee Guy posted:

By the way, why did y'all decide to become Masons? Particularly those of you who are more liberal than your lodges?

Roughly, how old are you? Are you married? If so, did you join before or after you tied the knot?

I love the American Revolutionary era, so to tie myself better to that period, I joined the Freemasons. I also happened to be much more libertarian than leftist back then.

I'm in my late 30s, yes, and I started the process before my wedding but postponed it until afterwards as I was just too busy with a wedding to do all this Masonry stuff.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

The idea that nothing has changed in 1200 years or whatever annoys me so much.

It clearly did, since every jurisdiction has their own language that's close but not quite identical. And then there's the "G"....

E: And we have a T.O. lodge here that does the work like it existed in the 1880s, but that's not really "traditional" either. Let's go back to the 1700s and make me a happy Colonial!

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

The politics starts after the Masonic meeting closes, and the Sons of Liberty meeting opens.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Unfortunately going to be a lot of black cubes :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

There's occasional racist scandals in the US, but nothing illegal.