Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jsavino
Sep 7, 2003

I'm gonna break this pipe off in your ass.

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

The current order of business is "gently caress Florida".

Florida Mason checking in and agreeing. This poo poo is ridiculous, and I (along with others) are concerned it could lead to loss of recognition if it's not struck down and stopped soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jsavino
Sep 7, 2003

CopRock posted:

Newly elected S.W. I want to start my hat shopping early for next year, anyone have a good milliner they recommend ? As J.W. this year I presided over six EA degrees in a borrowed lid, and want to step up my game.

http://www.villagehatshop.com/ makes/sells some great hats at reasonable prices. I got a very nice bowler from them.

jsavino
Sep 7, 2003

Thatim posted:

This might be abit of a personal question..

But at what age did you decide to join? And how did you found out about the Freemasons in the first place? How did your surrounding (friends, family) react to this?

I am curious about this because the Freemasons aren't really that well known where I come from (Holland), and I know nobody who is a brother. I feel abit hold back to visit a Lodge, as I feel I am abit too young (21) and thus might not be able to contribute much.

I was about 24 when I joined, if I'm counting correctly. I had a friend in college who joined, and I talked to him a bit about it before doing my own research and chewing it over for a couple years. Then one day I decided to go visit the lodge nearest my apartment at the time and I met a couple of members who talked to me for a bit, gave me a petition, and invited me back for coffee after the next meeting. My family was curious about it when I told them I was joining but they don't have any problem with it. I met my wife while I was going through the degrees, and she's always been supportive.

Any age is a good age to join. I wish I'd have joined sooner, because it's been such a great force in my life. I've been going through some real bad times for a few years now, and I trace it back to getting out of being active in masonry. Kind of lost the balance in my life. I'm trying to get active again, but it's not been easy.

jsavino
Sep 7, 2003

Schizotek posted:

Florida Goon here.
Just how bad have the local lodges gotten about purging non-christians?

SW Florida reporting in... I've been advised by the secretary of the lodge I visit regularly (not my home lodge, which I don't attend anymore) that "this will blow over" and they're completely ignoring the GM's memo. I would guess that my home lodge is probably all too happy to follow the memo though (them being a bunch of bigots very conservative and all).

jsavino
Sep 7, 2003

Schizotek posted:

Know anything about the WPB-Miami part of the state? Wondering if I should wait a year or two to apply.

I'm afraid I don't know anything specifically about lodges in that area.

If I may ask, what is your religious persuasion that you feel will keep you out? The recent memo is not specifically "Christian only"; it actually explicitly excludes a few groups (Pagans, Wiccans, Odinists, Agnostics, and Gnostics).

Furthermore, I'm of the opinion that if you believe in (1) the existence of one ever living and true god, and (2) the immortality of the soul and resurrection, then there's nothing to stop you from joining and no one should be asking you your religious persuasion.

I really think this whole thing is just a flash in the pan and will be gone in a matter of months. It's really against Masonic principles and just plain stupid. If you're a good man and desirous of being a Mason, don't let this stop you.

Loveable Luciferian posted:

So as you can see this is being taken seriously and I would not be shocked at all if this ended in February.
This. There are enough other states that will cry foul that the Florida Grand Line will strike this down fast and hard. I doubt the next Grand Master will do anything to support this. And I know for a fact that there are a number of Florida PGMs who are outraged already.

jsavino fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Dec 27, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jsavino
Sep 7, 2003

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

Reminder that both of these qualifications are not universal and that many Masons including myself are not monotheists and many of us emphatically deny the existence of the soul and the immortality of anything. :)

I'm just stating that since he said he was looking to join in Florida, and the Florida version asks those questions. Personally, I say gently caress it, a Mason can believe what he wants so long as he believes in something; but since he was concerned about the memo and the situation in Florida, I went with what is considered canon here (and is in the Masonic Code).

EDIT: just to clarify, I'm not trying to argue with you on this point or be a dick, just wanted to be clear that I'm quoting canon in Florida specifically. I'm totally aware of what you're saying and I have no problem with polytheists, etc in Masonry.

Orillion posted:

What i don't get about regular Masonry is why landmarks cannot be questioned. I mean, freemasonry is about promoting humanist values, isn't it? Isn't it about becoming a better Man (in the human sense), "better" in that case meaning enforcing values of liberty, equality and generosity? Please correct me if i'm wrong, i'm eager to understand.

Then why cannot landmarks such as belief in a higher being and being male be questioned? I know these are considered foundations of freemasonry, but they seem so unrelated to the values freemasonry is promoting. Each time this has been suggested in this thread or in the old one, a blunt refusal has been opposed, without any real explanation (other than "it's the way it is, deal with it", i mean), and i'm having a hard time understanding this. So, could anyone of you gentlegoons explain that to me please?

Thanks in advance.

This might not be everyone's answer, but here's where I stand on it. There are things inn Masonry which are derived from our rituals and obligations, and the rituals and obligations are what make us Masons; without them we wouldn't be Masons at all, and if we violate them we should be considered no longer Masons. If something is a part of those rituals/obligations, we are duty bound to obey it. If not, we violate that which makes us Masons in the first place. This category is limited to a few things, but among them are belief in a higher power and that only men can be Masons. Plenty of other things (for example, the now extinct Whites Only rule and the exclusion of a maimed man) are NOT part of what makes us Masons and can be (have been) changed.

Also, keep in mind, the only thing stopping someone from making innovations in Masonry is the withdrawal of Masonic recognition. There's no goon squad that goes around abducting clandestine masons in the dark, they simply are no longer part of the greater body of Masonry. This is the situation of the Grand Orient of France and Co-Masonry, for example. There is nothing wrong with these organizations in and of themselves, and nothing that makes them "bad", but because they were created out of the violation of Masonic principles, they are not recognized. It's the same situation if one tried to form a girl scout troop of 40 year old men... yes, you can uniforms in that size and go camping, but the other troops are not going to see you as part of the group.

Hope that made some sense, I do tend to ramble.

jsavino fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Dec 28, 2012