Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Figured I'd offer this up to any LA brothers, I have a job opening in Hollywood for a SysAdmin position.

I have the description posted up in the LA thread, but if you'd like more info, please feel free to shoot me a PM, or shoot me an email at aylesworth at google's mail service.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

QPZIL posted:

I always chuckle when I see aprons that have a thick-color trim like that.

It makes me wonder if the founders of Gmail were Masons, putting in a little inside joke...

You know, my girlfriend and I went to my Lodge's Installation before I was elected, and she said the same thing "When do you get a GMail apron?"

Was pretty :3:

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Went to my first official stated meeting this week. Felt great, and I've volunteered myself as Senior Steward in an upcoming 1st degree! I've also volunteered to help build out some LED lighting for the lodge :)

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Any of you CA goons attending the Shrine Circus next weekend? I believe I'll be working to some extent on the ChildID project that Saturday, if you'd like to come say whatup.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Sub Rosa posted:

Still not really getting it. I've only seen EAs in my home jurisdiction so maybe we do something different.

Yeah, nope. I was never bare-chested.

We put our candidates in clothing like this.

You'll notice there are flaps in the chest area which may be opened and all modesty be retained.

That would have been fun, also our footwear only goes up to about a size 10, I'm a 13. It didn't work too well.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

QPZIL posted:

If the investigating committee is made up of decent guys, they won't ask you anything about your religion at all. You will be asked in whom you place your trust, to which you'll have to answer "god". Whatever your definition of that god is, that's totally your business. If it's Jesus, Allah, Buddha, Vishnu, The Green Man, whatever... as long as there's a force greater than yourself that you believe punishes evil and rewards good, that's what matters. There's no discussion of politics or religion in the lodge.

An ammendment to that in our lodge is work, at dinner sure, in the lodge, nope.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

My lodge sponsors, funds and manages a little league branch called The Challengers, which is composed of four teams of mentally and physically challenged children and young adults.

So there's that too?

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

mrbill posted:

If someone (for example) needs to be pushed between stations in a wheelchair, I can't imagine that there would be a shortage of Brethren volunteering to assist. If you're lesser-able, your Brothers are going to be there for you, and nobody's going to give you any grief because of it.

I have a tracheal stenosis (scar tissue just under my vocal cords) and sometimes crippling asthma. I was suffering from the aftermath of an attack when it was time to go through my FC ceremony. Nobody cared that I had my inhaler in my pocket and had to huff from it a couple times through the evening. After everything was done, the Brother who had led me by the arm told me that he'd walked me in smaller rectangles than would normally have been done. I was preoccupied and hadn't noticed.

There were only enough brothers in lodge last night to compose a lodge :( One of whom is in a wheelchair currently due to arthritic strain so he remained seated during the standing parts, he was playing Jr. Warden's role, as the regulars were out. I got to Tile, which was exciting because I'm still an EA due to time/date conflicts with work. Boo!

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

I'm getting a kind of 'only females should be secretaries' kinda vibe from that, but maybe it's just because of the tone of the whole topic at the moment.

I'd cast my vote in the school of no applicants until it's figured out, but I also do agree that there are separate avenues for men and women alike when it comes to social clubs or frat/sorr gatherings.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

TemetNosceXVIcubus posted:

It's hard for non masons to understand what the job of the Secretary entitles. If you think Mad Men style, then they're there to take notes and look pretty.

In reality, the Secretary is the most important role in the Lodge. The Worshipful Master may lead the lodge, but the secretary is the one that organizes everything. All petitions, all formal work, all communications from the lodge to the outside work, are handled by the secretary. The WM may look good, and make decisions, but the secretary actually does the bits to make it happen.

This I know, brother. Just saying your post came off a little...off

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

What appendent bodies have the whole "use your own book" thing? I want to show up with the entire Buddhist Canon.

SoCal #529 strives to let initiates bring in whatever the heck they want :buddy:

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

My goat had to be wrangled by our Tiler :ohdear:

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Paramemetic posted:

Say them. If you have cyphers, I copied mine by hands still in code and wrote them out from memory and compared. Recording them would not be okay, I think, but if the grand Lodge has approved a cypher then copying that cypher seems okay so long as it is then burnt or shredded or what not when done.

But mainly the best way to learn them is just repetition. Since most of it follows like a conversation, it is not as hard as memorizing poetry and whatnot.

But isn't writing, cutting etc. Something we agree not to do?

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Emron posted:

Our jurisdiction uses the small cipher book as well. There's even some segments (like the apron lecture) in plain text.

That's how we are as well.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

I received my fellowcraft last night, what a lecture! I enjoyed this one much more than the first, and looking forward to my raising soon!

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Emron posted:

That's my favorite lecture. Congrats!

One day I hope to be able to deliver it myself.

QPZIL posted:

Sooooo much going on in that lecture, it's a great one.

It definitely was, so much info, and all so interesting.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Brothers, I'm doing my 2nd degree proficiency on the 18th and my raising is slated for past master's night. I'm a bit nervous, any suggestions on how to adopt the long form better aside from practice?

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Thanks guys.

Also! At yesterday's stated meeting, we had a visitor (Right Worshipful Master) from the Ancient Stirling Lodge #30 in Stirling Scotland! He came all the way here (California) to pick up a masonic case that one of my brothers made for him.

Being that it was Hawaiian shirt night, we were plenty outdressed. (Not pictured, me not in a Hawaiian shirt because I do not own one)

Frozen Pizza Party fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Sep 5, 2014

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

LingcodKilla posted:

Heresy! What city is this?

SoCal #529, we're pretty lax about dresscode. Tux for degrees and installations, button up and slacks or nice jeans any other time, practices are whatever because most folks come from work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

legsarerequired posted:

My grandfather was a mason but he hasn't attended meetings in at least 40 years due to some dispute. It seems like he's still a member though, since I was able to join OES after calling his old lodge. His health is at the point where we are starting to plan for his funeral. Would the lodge loan us an apron if we can't find his?

They'd probably give you one. An apron is the least you could ask for in time of mourning. Especially from your/his lodge.