Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the guy from Semisonic
Jan 13, 2006

Let's kick some gigabutt!

Bleak Gremlin

7thBatallion posted:

What the hell jurisdiction requires you to be without underwear? Scottish Rite?

Being a member of 3 lodges that use the Scottish Rite rituals for EA, FC and MM, as well as having just completed the 32nd this past weekend, I can tell you that it is not the SR. I don't know of any ritual system that requires nudity. Top half, yes. But certainly not anything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the guy from Semisonic
Jan 13, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

jonboy8871 posted:

Aaaaaaaand it's all been thrown away. Remember: if you don't know what something is, just put it in the trash!

This actually made me feel a little sick to my stomach.

the guy from Semisonic
Jan 13, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
One of the many reasons I love my Lodge. Alcohol isn't banned, Multiple kegs on premisses.

Special dispensation, baby. :smug:

the guy from Semisonic
Jan 13, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

QPZIL posted:

So I earned my black hat today and am a Master of the Royal Secret. After a long time working with the York Rite, it's nice to see how the other half lives :)

The AASR degrees are really beautiful, and really work well coming after the York Rite degrees, I don't think I would have appreciated some of them as much if I hadn't seen the YR degrees first (13/14 and the Consistory degrees come to mind). But I've already got Morals & Dogma, and A Bridge To Light, and have signed up for the Master Craftsman program, so I'm going to be knee deep in ritual and esoteric study for a long while :)

Welcome to the Dark Side. ;)

imac1984 posted:

We just had Art de Hoyos and S. Brent Morris give a talk at one of our last meetings about the latest edition of one of their books.

My Lodge recently conferred the 1844 version of our Scottish Rite Master Mason Ritual on Br. de Hoyos. He's an awesome guy and love talking "shop" with him.

the guy from Semisonic
Jan 13, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Speaking of Br. de Hoyos, he just posted this picture on his Facebook and I think I peed a little. The House of the Temple's Library. Definitely on my bucket list.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

the guy from Semisonic
Jan 13, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

QPZIL posted:

The "Blue Lodge" degrees as we think of them in the US are technically the first three degrees of the York Rite system, as far as lineage and history is concerned.

So, what you and I have done, we took the first three degrees "York Rite style", and then took 4th - 32nd in the Scottish Rite. But when the first Supreme Council was founded in South Carolina in 1801, the Scottish Rite actually did have its own first three degrees, brought over from France (where the majority of the rest of the SR degrees came from). The SR forms of the degrees (sometimes called the "Red Lodge" degrees) are still conferred in some jurisdictions in Louisiana. In fact, for a short time there was a third Supreme Council in the US, in New Orleans. Because of that, the French/SR style of degrees flourished. After the Louisiana Supreme Council (I don't know if it had an official name) was absorbed into the Supreme Council Southern Jurisdiction, the French degree heritage stayed.

And as with most SR stuff, a lot was re-written in the mid 1800s thanks to Albert Pike and a number of other very learned Brothers. Manuscripts still exist of a lot of the pre-revision degrees, which I believe is what MB13 is referring to. The Red Lodge degrees would be amazing to see on their own, let alone the almost-200-year-old versions!

Yep, this right here. There's only maybe 13 or 14 Lodges in America that use the SR rituals for their degrees and 10 of them are in the New Orleans area. They make up the entire 16th Masonic District. My Lodge was founded by German immigrants in 1844 and conducted all rituals and such in German right up to 1944. About 15 years ago, one of our Past Masters found a copy of our 1844 Rituals in an old safe and gave them to my Uncle, who passed them on the Art de Hoyos for translation. We promised to give him an honorary membership in our Lodge, but Katrina happened, then that Past Master died and it was kind of forgotten about until recently. Our current Master decided to start exemplifying the degrees and we flew Art down to give him the 3rd and finally deliver what was promised to him all those years ago.

The SR Rituals are truly beautiful and should be experienced by every Mason. Anyone traveling through New Orleans, let me know and I'll see what I can arrange.

the guy from Semisonic
Jan 13, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Durette posted:

secret society

You keep saying this, but this:

Durette posted:

there is masonic stuff EVERYWHERE.

Is proof enough that we aren't. Also,

Durette posted:

significant not-white masons as well (sorry I don't know the correct term).

There are a lot of Not-white Masons all over the place. Freemasonry isn't whites only.

the guy from Semisonic
Jan 13, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Durette posted:

Eh, that isn't so much about the masons as it is not sharing stuff on the internet in general. I wouldn't want goons who actually believe in the Illuminati latching on to something and pestering the poo poo out of the folks back home.

"Dear Sir, I see that the property on XXX X Street that was once a masonic lodge is for sale. May I inquire as to the number of electronic theta level sweeps that have been done? I would like the chance to enter the property, but my theory on..."

Well, it's not like the street address of just about every Lodge in America is listed on their respective Grand Lodge websites or anything...

the guy from Semisonic
Jan 13, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I heard a story, not sure of how true it is, that an Archbishop became obsessed with learning masonic secrets. So he ordered one of his priests to join and go through the rituals so that he could report back what happened. The Priest went through all 3 degrees and reported back to the archbishop that he had completed everything. The archbishop told the priest to reveal all of the secrets and the priest responded, "I can't tell you. I'm a Mason." :v:

the guy from Semisonic
Jan 13, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

COOL CORN posted:

Are there any Louisiana goons here? I've heard stories about how their work is vastly different (and the only place in America you can legally see the first three degrees the way the Scottish Rite has them written)

I guess more influence from the Grand Orient de France?

Right here. I'm from New Orleans, and a member of a Scottish Rite Craft Lodge. The degrees are vastly different than anywhere else in the country.

the guy from Semisonic
Jan 13, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

COOL CORN posted:

I have so many questions. Are non-LA Masons welcome? Or maybe non-LA Scottish Rite Masons?

If I ever make it out to NOLA I might try to catch a degree.

Absolutely. We encourage visitors to witness our degrees. My Lodge has a travelling degree team that has been all over the country doing exemplifications.

the guy from Semisonic
Jan 13, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Emron posted:

Okay, difficult question, brothers. I'm sure I'm not alone in this, but virtually all Masons I've met have had very aggressively conservative politics. I've never had a problem with that, as it's just friendly disagreement.

The past three days, however, a few respected guys in my district (minor district officers, like District Education Officers) have really escalated, to the point that a few of them are posting things like these:

I'm really uncomfortable with this, in particular implications that political differences justify violent death. It's...cheapened my Masonic experience, in a way, seeing Masons I respect so clearly not adhering to principle. I feel lost.

I know this sounds dumb. But I can't get past it. I don't know how to put this to words, at least not adequately. It makes Masonry feel superficial. Am I completely overreacting?

Yeah, try living in Louisiana with that poo poo. A local Lodge started posting garbage like that on their Facebook page and the Grandmaster had to come down on them. Now they just post generic "Respect the Badge", "Thin Blue Line" type memes. I understand that everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I just remind myself that it is an opinion. If any one of them try acting on these disgusting posts, I'll file Masonic charges so fast that their head will spin. I don't know how far it would go, but at least my conscience will be clear.

the guy from Semisonic
Jan 13, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
There was a lodge in my area that had their charter pulled a few years back because the WM, JW, SW and a few others were all involved in embezzling money from the lodge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the guy from Semisonic
Jan 13, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Keetron posted:

And does anyone know if Mr Bill is still alive and would one of the brothers here have his contact details?
Yes, dragging up ancient forums history.

I'm sorry to say that mrbill passed away.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3911290&pagenumber=9&perpage=40&userid=0#post513087856