Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deported to Canada
Jun 1, 2006

Paramemetic posted:

In the Post-War era, it was about filling the social niche that battle buddies and squad mates would fill. Outside the structure of the military and now returned to civilian life, men still wanted to be a part of a group. This is an innate thing for people, we're not meant to be atomized. We want to be part of a group. Masonry fulfills that need.

This was exactly it for me. My lodge has a bunch of serving/ex members.

Paramemetic posted:

The declining membership is mostly old people who joined during the Post-War period dying off, and not being replaced nearly as quickly.

I also had it explained as a 'missing generation' from the 60s/70s who didn't want to conform and do as their fathers had done; they in turn didn't pass it down to their children. That's why my brother and I tease my Dad. There's still time, and he has to do something when he retires.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deported to Canada
Jun 1, 2006

Seems to vary by Province, UGLE are basically saying:

Whilst each unit may decide for itself what precautions it may wish to take, UGLE strongly suggests you follow this advice:

-If you or a family member are showing signs of illness, please do not attend your Lodge or Chapter meetings and follow the guidance below.

-We recommend that members consider refraining from any physical contact within the ceremonies, before or after meetings. Given the tactile nature of many ceremonies, if you or candidates are concerned about how they can take place with little or no physical contact, while maintaining their meaning and impact, you may even wish to consider postponing the ceremony until the situation has improved.

-Minimise mass shared transport (i.e. coaches) to meetings.

-Wash hands thoroughly before and after meetings for 20 seconds with hot water.

-This advice stands whether you do or do not wear gloves during your ceremonies.

Any member who feels unwell should follow the advice from Public Health England. If a member is known to have been infected with COVID-19, then it is standard policy for Public Health to contact all those with whom he has been in contact. Full co-operation is expected to ensure the risk to other unit members – and members of the public – is minimised. We recommend the Secretary maintains physical possession of the attendance book to assist in this process.

If you are worried about a fellow member please keep in contact with them via the phone and text to keep an eye on their wellbeing.

deported to Canada
Jun 1, 2006

Personally I would first find out what nights the lodges meet and make sure you can commit to practice and ceremony nights in advance (my guys meet on the last Friday of the month which is ideal for me with work and I don't have to worry about hangovers etc)

The next would be understanding the general demographics of the Lodge. I find you want an even spread of younger masons who want to make it part of their social life and older more experienced members to mentor and guide the lodge to ensure its not some frat house.

A quick google search should help you with most of that, the next step is making formal contact with a lodge. Just be aware that most lodges aim to increase membership so you may find yourself in high demand (five lodges meet in my building) and if you are a strong candidate they will all want you. Pick the one that you feel most comfortable with that meet on nights you know you can attend.

deported to Canada
Jun 1, 2006

Solvent posted:

This is what I'm reprinting for the trestleboard of my lodge this month. I was going to go over it, and the responses I found next month. It seems to be an ongoing debate of the direction we should be going in.

I think there is an interesting debate about recruitment and retention going on right now, especially with the UGLE. Some are worried about membership falling off a cliff edge as time stakes its claim. I've heard from a few now that what they crave is stability. The new membership pathway and Lodge Membership Officers have shaken a few things up - it's needed for new members but some are worried about whether the 'old guard' will return post-covid.

deported to Canada
Jun 1, 2006

Depends on the lodge treasurer for one. I wouldn't say it's ever money grabbing as such, more recuperating money spent on facilities/events etc.

Our fees increased from the princely sum of £115 per year to £120 to cover the renovation of the dining facilities during covid. Money well spent as it increased covers so more visitors can comfortably attend.

As for hardship fees the lodge/provencial charity steward will be a wealth of information. My advice would be to enquire what the fees would be to initiate and join your lodge and roughly what it costs per meeting. You will probably find that it is not as much as you currently think anyway so you may be able to afford it as it stands. For me it's the cost of eating out once a month (£16).

deported to Canada
Jun 1, 2006

I've never really understood the appeal of having anything to do with clandestine lodges. It's like the loyal antidiluvian order of the buffalo's, we have a lot of them round my neck of the woods and we all know they are just bootleg masons who couldn't get approved, why would you even want to join that?

deported to Canada
Jun 1, 2006

I don't see how any clandestine lodge could claim for their ritual to be more pure, that seems like a weird thing to say, paradoxical really. They literally have been shown the door for their lack of regularity or never even ever saw the door in the first place. I suppose if you didn't know any better you might fall for the "they just hate how original and cool we are" but the slightest bit of critical thinking would be enough for most to know they are full of poo poo.

deported to Canada
Jun 1, 2006

Please don't tell me that, in the year of our Lord two thousand and twenty two, this is another American province/district that has *yet* to recognise prince hall freemasonry.

If so good but um *checks watch* could have maybe done it sooner?

deported to Canada
Jun 1, 2006

Contentious opinion I know but maybe it's time we started considering the validity and fesability of overall membership of these "holdout" states.

Frankly it disgusts me everytime I hear about it. Nothing personal, I hope nobody here is offended by my sentiment.

deported to Canada
Jun 1, 2006

Worthy Masons all

:(

deported to Canada
Jun 1, 2006

The United Grand Lodge of England have rolled out Membership Officers in all lodges now and they all chat and share candidate details across the various provinces - I'm not sure if this has found its way across the pond yet (maybe a US buddy can say) but I'm sure there will be something similar in Georgia where you can ask.

deported to Canada
Jun 1, 2006

Well, it's pretty much aesthetic and I've seen both on various emblems (the Widows Sons motorbike groups use variations of it with patches on jackets and metal emblems on bikes etc.)

Unless you were asking about the meaning behind the symbology, in which case you better be raised to the sublime degree of a master mason or else gtfo :colbert:

deported to Canada
Jun 1, 2006

Keetron posted:

One comment: While I am raised a master mason, this was done in the Netherlands and there are differences across the globe. Trying to learn but you are right in saying this should not be done in a public forum.
Considering I drive a motorbike, I'll be content in thinking this is otherwise not limited in use and will consider it, with some small modifications, as an upper arm tattoo.

Sorry if that came across as me being a bit of an rear end; If you have been raised you should hopefully be aware of the importance of the skull and crossbones without thinking *shudder* pirates or the SS (which I have heard people/cowans confuse it with).

That being said mate I have seen it on plenty of tattoos so its generally a good choice, I've also seen parts of the third degree tracing board on tattoos or people have incorporated parts of the 1st, 2nd and 3rd in their own little artistic style, maybe with the working tools hidden within. I've also seen it on lapel pins worn again by plenty of brothers.

For tattoos my next one is going to be my 'Mark' which I received after joining a lodge of Master Masons. It's a good little ceremony if any of you haven't done it yet.

deported to Canada
Jun 1, 2006

I guess that's why you have a Tyler!

deported to Canada
Jun 1, 2006

Cimber posted:

I got pretty upset today at lodge when the WM used the term 'libtard' to describe one of the writers of a Masonic book, who also happens to be a brother.

"Your Obedience must be proved by a strict observance of our laws and regulations, by prompt attention to all signs and summonses, by modest and correct demeanor in the Lodge, by abstaining from every topic of political or religious discussion."

That would be my response to that if I were there.

deported to Canada
Jun 1, 2006

As a general question, what is it that you feel is driving off newer members?

I think most if not all lodges have some kind of internal quandary or disagreement going on, and the changing of the guard can be a troublesome time. In part I can understand it - my lodge has members of multiple generations belong to it and they want to do the workings the same way its been for their fathers and grandfathers. But I don't feel this is what turns newer people off, quite the opposite in my opinion as some enjoy seeing that things have been consistent for 100 plus years. Also our older brethren all say that once they retired they became full time freemasons so you have to admire their commitment (and their getting in early to set up the lodge/festive board!)

I know getting on the ladder always causes problems when installation time comes with some brothers just assuming they are taking roles only to be told that they can't. Tends to be joining members who were something like JD in their last lodge so they assume they will come in as SD only to be told to join the back of the queue.

The biggest drama causing incident I've witnessed was a blackballing and oh boy did that get messy. More because if you have an issue you are meant to tell the secretary in advance and the vote won't go ahead if the problem can't be resolved. Instead 5 brothers voted against and my goodness did everyone have strong opinions. Guys - don't ever do this in your lodge, speak to your secretary if you have any concerns about a candidate.

My biggest gripe was last year when we were told to put up a placard on our building identifying it as a lodge; I really liked the 'hidden in plain sight' element of the building and now it looks like it has a tourist information sign on the wall. Clearly that isn't enough to make me consider my membership though.

deported to Canada
Jun 1, 2006

Keetron posted:

So yes, I understand your point and to be honest, I think making our craft more known to people is not a bad thing in itself.

You are absolutely correct of course, and the signage was to make our building more obvious and raise awareness to potential new members. The three examples you posted are good looking buildings that were purpose built with the symbology incorporated into the construction. Our signage has the same logo as the Masonic Charitable Foundation (https://mcf.org.uk/) which I suppose I'm not a big fan of the more modern design.

I still loved turning up with my briefcase to what the locals called the "Library that was never open" and letting myself in. I guess the mystery was what appealed to me for a long time, like, what's going on inside that building?

deported to Canada
Jun 1, 2006

It's all about how you judge a person to be an upright and moral, back in the day it was difficult to conceive how a person could be *good* without having the persistent fear of eternal damnation. These days society has moved on from the fire and brimstone.

If you approached a lodge and stated that you don't belong to any particular denomination or faith but you believe in something greater then that should be good enough. You shouldn't really be challenged any further than that. The last time you went to church or had tea with the local vicar should be completely irrelevant.

That being said though declaring yourself an atheist is a bit of a red line for the interview panel (in the UK at least). It's like saying that you are anti-getting anything of value out of freemasonry. It would make me think that you wouldn't enjoy it in the long term.

deported to Canada
Jun 1, 2006

Certain disabilities traditionally used to exclude new candidates from becoming members - but we are going far back with that interpretation and I haven't heard of it ever being enforced in my lifetime. I believe it was due to Freemasonry operating as a kind of insurance policy for its members in the time before modern health insurance, where you would pay money towards the lodge and if you suffered an injury, illness or similar you would be looked after by the Almoner or relevant province/district charitable foundation.

If you are in the UK I can say that it would not be a problem at all, the lodge can make formal request to adapt ceremonies to suit disabilities. See page 18 onwards from Freemasonry Today (Spring 2021) for an interview with a triple amputee who went through the process: https://issuu.com/freemasonrytoday/docs/fmt_spring_21_combined_pdf_low_res

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deported to Canada
Jun 1, 2006

It makes me proud to be a member of the Province of Derbyshire!!

The APGM and Grand Mentor in those pictures are members of my Craft Lodge, I'll be sure to pass on the compliments and even ask if the "Master" thing is something we are doing now.