Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hitachi
May 2, 2003

Hail to the King, baby

dennyk posted:

That Playstation TV doesn't really offer anything over my current ghetto Dell monitor setup except 3D, which I don't even want (I have poo poo depth perception and can't really see 3D at all).

I've spent some hours poking around AVSForums and some other sites and found a few 32" TVs I'm now considering:

Panasonic VIERA TC-L32E5 - Seems to be pretty decent. Input lag isn't as good as the previous IPS-Alpha model, though, but those models seem to be impossible to find now and ridiculously expensive. Don't see too many complaints about it, aside from people talking about a lower contrast ratio than other TVs, but that's to be expected with an IPS display (and I'm using an IPS Dell monitor at the moment anyway and I don't have a problem with the contrast on that, so I doubt it'll be an issue). No panel lottery bullshit, either, apparently. Price is about $460 at Amazon, right in the budget I was aiming for. I'm kind of leaning towards this one, personally, but I'd love to hear from anyone who's had one.

LG 32LM6200 - Also seems to be a decent LG TV with few complaints. However, it's more expensive ($550 right now on Amazon) and has 3D and Internet features I really don't care about. Looked into the current cheaper bare-bones 1080p LG model too (the 32CS560), but it apparently suffers horribly from judder with <120Hz input sources. Most sources say the 32LM6200 is an IPS panel, but I can't find any definitive information on whether there's any panel lottery issues (LG's site says nothing about panel type, which is worrisome).

Samsung UN32EH5000 - Always heard good things about Samsung, mostly, and this model seems decent, but it's apparently panel lottery hell. Was fairly cheap on Amazon earlier today, but now it's back up to the same price range as the Panasonic, so I'm not sure it's a great choice.

Any opinions on these? Doesn't seem like there's a whole lot of selection in 32" 1080P models; these were about all I could find in the ~$500-or-less range that weren't terrible off-brands (and there really isn't much in the higher price ranges other than a fully-loaded Samsung "Smart TV" model or two, either).

I just picked up the Samsung UN32EH5000 a few days ago from Bestbuy to use as a Xbox TV/second monitor. No complaints from me so far. They price matched to $430 from the sears website which is the cheapest I have seen it in a while and they also let me exchange the first one that had a dead pixel in the center of the screen no questions asked. Picture seems nice enough to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
Well, I went ahead and pulled the trigger on the Panasonic TC-L32E5. Guess we'll see if I've made a terrible mistake or not this weekend. :D

I'll post a review after I try it out, but considering the last TV I actually bought was a $99 27" Orion from Wal-Mart twelve years ago, my opinion's probably not going to be very informed. :v:

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

So I'm getting really close to pulling the trigger, but am torn between the two technologies:

Panasonic VIERA TC-L55E50 55-Inch 1080p 120Hz Full HD IPS LED-LCD for $750 via Warehouse Deals

OR

Panasonic VIERA TC-P50U50 50-Inch 1080p Full HD Plasma TV for $650 via warehouse deals. (gently caress me the price swung back up again, Oh Amazon...... it was $550 yesterday)

Any thoughts one way or the other?

LaserWash
Jun 28, 2006
This is $1000 at Best Buy. What's wrong with this guy?

http://tinyurl.com/b98jxu6

Again, don't need 3d (it has it) or smart features. Super slim or slim doesn't matter as this goes on a fairly big wall.

Thermite
Aug 16, 2006

Huzzah!
Does anyone here have an opinion/experience with Sceptre brand LEDs? I've used their 32" LCD (http://tinyurl.com/6hermg) for almost 4 years and the only issue I've had is a scratched screen from an exploding bottle of homebrew which can hardly be blamed on the tv. I moved to a non-shoebox sized apartment and want something bigger for my living room.

I'd like a 1080p LED no smaller than 42" and with at least 3 HDMI ports. I've got a 360 and a bluray player with apps, so I don't need a smart tv. 3D would also be nice but isn't strictly necessary either. $800 is about as much as I'd like to spend. This tv is primarily used to watch Netflix/dvds and play 360.

I was looking at the Samsung UN46EH5300 http://tinyurl.com/azb4urf But then I came across the Sceptre E465BV http://tinyurl.com/an5kv8z which has basically all the features I'm looking for and is 200 bucks cheaper. I remember being nervous about buying my "off-brand" LCD in 09 but ended up loving it. The only reason I'm hesitating about this one is a lack of reviews. Any input would be appreciated.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.

toplitzin posted:

So I'm getting really close to pulling the trigger, but am torn between the two technologies:

Panasonic VIERA TC-L55E50 55-Inch 1080p 120Hz Full HD IPS LED-LCD for $750 via Warehouse Deals

OR

Panasonic VIERA TC-P50U50 50-Inch 1080p Full HD Plasma TV for $650 via warehouse deals. (gently caress me the price swung back up again, Oh Amazon...... it was $550 yesterday)

Any thoughts one way or the other?

The 50u50 (and others) are super cheap on Panasonics website if you can use EPP. $475 with free shipping. You can search google or slickdeals for how to get into EPP if you're not already.

AzCoug
Jun 10, 2010
I've been out of the TV market for a little bit. I've noticed that the prices have come down quite a bit. I missed this TV for $547 just recently.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/A...sim/water70e-20

Anyone have any experience with that TV?

Any recommendations for best current TV's for the value?

LaserWash
Jun 28, 2006
I went ahead and bought this at Best Buy for $900.

http://tinyurl.com/byvsfch

Then I wake up this morning and WalMart has it on sale for $800. :woop: :woop: :woop: I guess that means I'll be headed to Best Buy for pricematch today, as this thing is on my wall or shall I say, IS my wall in our living room at me and my wife's house.

3D, True Motion 120 Hz, 1080p, Super slim, LED, 55" LG screen for $800? Is there some slavery in Korea going on that I need to know about? That's just insane.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

I was recently given an older 46 inch busted JVC. It looks like this:

Any idea what exactly is wrong with it or how much it would cost to repair?

I hope it's ok to post this here :ohdear:

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

Douche Bag posted:

I was recently given an older 46 inch busted JVC. It looks like this:

Any idea what exactly is wrong with it or how much it would cost to repair?

I hope it's ok to post this here :ohdear:

It looks like the panel is cracked. To fix it you'd have to replace the whole panel which usually isn't practical since it would probably cost just as much as buying a new TV of equivalent size and quality.

Smoking_Dragon
Dec 12, 2001

WOE UNTO THEE
Pillbug
I'm considering this TV:
http://fassie.com/Sharp_AQUOS_LC-80LE844U_80_Class_3D_LED_TV_4088.html?refid=Grabber

Does anybody have any experience with it? I didn't see any reviews of that particular model on CNET.

geera
May 20, 2003

LaserWash posted:

I went ahead and bought this at Best Buy for $900.

http://tinyurl.com/byvsfch

Then I wake up this morning and WalMart has it on sale for $800. :woop: :woop: :woop: I guess that means I'll be headed to Best Buy for pricematch today, as this thing is on my wall or shall I say, IS my wall in our living room at me and my wife's house.

3D, True Motion 120 Hz, 1080p, Super slim, LED, 55" LG screen for $800? Is there some slavery in Korea going on that I need to know about? That's just insane.
Just wanted to say thanks for posting this. I went to Best Buy today and picked one of these up for the Walmart sale price. Enjoying it so far, but I'm wondering if there's a good way to calibrate the screen? I turned the lamp and brightness up a bit but I'm noticing a tiny bit of backlight bleeding in one of the corners when the screen is black or very dark. Could that be from turning the lamp up?

samurai slowdown
Jun 11, 2006

POWER UP

geera posted:

Just wanted to say thanks for posting this. I went to Best Buy today and picked one of these up for the Walmart sale price. Enjoying it so far, but I'm wondering if there's a good way to calibrate the screen? I turned the lamp and brightness up a bit but I'm noticing a tiny bit of backlight bleeding in one of the corners when the screen is black or very dark. Could that be from turning the lamp up?

Turning up the back light and brightness settings will make it more noticeable but it won't cause it. There's really no way to get perfect screen uniformity out of anything back lit or in this case, edge lit. As long as it isn't bad enough to be distracting in bright scenes your TV is normal. The built in picture wizard is supposed to be ok but a lot of people use discs like DVE or Disney's WOW. A few people have posted their personal settings in this thread on the AVS forums.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

LaserWash posted:

Well there is, but it's in Africa.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coltan

BobLoblaw
Jul 24, 2007
I'm looking for a TV to wall mount in my basement, 40-50" capable of playing Netflix (and maybe Amazon) via Wifi. I don't care about 3D, and my couch is about 12' away. I found this TV which was recommended by Consumer Reports, but there aren't very many other online reviews:

Panasonic Viera TC-P50XT50 $540 plus $52 for Wifi dongle

I'd prefer 1080P rather than 720P, but for what I'm using if for I don't think it will matter, right? Could anyone recommend any other TVs which might be better suited for me?

quaker69
Jul 3, 2004

Four measures of cheap Vodka combined with a bottle of Bawls
Lipstick Apathy

BobLoblaw posted:

I'm looking for a TV to wall mount in my basement, 40-50" capable of playing Netflix (and maybe Amazon) via Wifi. I don't care about 3D, and my couch is about 12' away. I found this TV which was recommended by Consumer Reports, but there aren't very many other online reviews:

Panasonic Viera TC-P50XT50 $540 plus $52 for Wifi dongle

I'd prefer 1080P rather than 720P, but for what I'm using if for I don't think it will matter, right? Could anyone recommend any other TVs which might be better suited for me?

edit: nevermind.. thought i found a better deal.

There's nothing wrong with this tv being 720p per say, however the other models of panasonic have a much better picture quality resolution not withstanding.

also, the panasonic smart tv functions are pretty good, but the $50 might be better spent towards a roku or apple tv in my opinion

quaker69 fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jan 6, 2013

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t
I bought a 50" Panasonic Viera plasma (TC-50PU54) from Costco a few months ago since they were cheap, and I have noticed there has been some buzzing when there are a lot of light colors on the screen. During normal daytime use it is noticable but not a big deal, but if I have the volume low at night or whatever it is somewhat annoying. I am normally about 7-8 feet or so from the tv. It has been buzzing since I took it out of the box. It is still under warrenty, and I think for 50" or bigger Costco will send someone to your house to fix it, so I don't even need to try and fit it back in my car. I have never had a plasma tv before, so I am not sure if this level of buzzing is normal or not, is it worth having them send someone out to look at it? It is usable but if it was quieter it would be better.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

I'm really torn between TV's. I've been looking at the Viera line and now I'm down to either the 47" E50 LCD, 47" DT50 LCD and now the ST50 plasma. I wasn't even considering plasma until I started reading this thread and people seem to love them.

I originally looked at the E50 line because they look great after checking them out in 2 stores (both a 42 and 47"), and Amazon has the 47" for $650, and I really don't care about 3D.

But the other 2 sets look very nice, and im really leaning towards the ST50 after reading all of the love for them here. Plasma always made me nervous with the screen burn and heat, but reading posts here makes it seem like its senseless to worry about these issues now.

Is the ST50 preferred over then higher end Viera LCD's?

Also, can anyone recommend a good wall mount for one of these?

geera
May 20, 2003

samurai slowdown posted:

Turning up the back light and brightness settings will make it more noticeable but it won't cause it. There's really no way to get perfect screen uniformity out of anything back lit or in this case, edge lit. As long as it isn't bad enough to be distracting in bright scenes your TV is normal. The built in picture wizard is supposed to be ok but a lot of people use discs like DVE or Disney's WOW. A few people have posted their personal settings in this thread on the AVS forums.
Awesome, thanks for the link. I bookmarked that thread for reference later.

AzCoug
Jun 10, 2010
Last I heard Vizio's were improving in their quality and starting to become, overall, very good TV's. Is this still the case? Have they become one of the premier TV brands and something to consider?

Smoking_Dragon
Dec 12, 2001

WOE UNTO THEE
Pillbug

AzCoug posted:

Last I heard Vizio's were improving in their quality and starting to become, overall, very good TV's. Is this still the case? Have they become one of the premier TV brands and something to consider?

This one gets pretty good ratings on CNET, especially for its price:

http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-tvs/vizio-e701i-a3/4505-6482_7-35477664.html

The 60" version costs half as much and is one of their editor's picks:

http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-tvs/vizio-e601i-a3/4505-6482_7-35477662.html

It should be noted the picture quality on both isn't as good as some of the other manufacturers but I imagine most people won't notice the difference.

One question I have is has anyone had any experience with DLP TVs specially the Mitsubishi 840s? I haven't found hardly any professional reviews on them and rear projection/DLP isn't even mentioned in the first post. They seem like a great value but there doesn't seem to be very much information on them so I'm worried they aren't worth it.

Lord Wexia
Sep 27, 2005

Boo zombie apocalypse.
Hooray beer!
I'm in the market for a new TV since my fiance and I are moving to a new (larger) place. I've been browsing the usual sites and today I saw this pop up on Amazon: Vizio 47" E470-A0 LED/Smart. It is pretty much exactly what I was hoping for in a new TV. It's LED, 120hz, SMART (with built in wifi) and the icing is it's less than $600 new. The only problem is... it isn't out yet. Here's the link to VIZIO's store: here

Has anyone heard any news on when this bad bad boy might hit the streets? I'm moving at the end of this month and it'd be nice to have our new living room TV at some point.

Lord Wexia fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jan 7, 2013

AzCoug
Jun 10, 2010

Smoking_Dragon posted:

It should be noted the picture quality on both isn't as good as some of the other manufacturers but I imagine most people won't notice the difference.

What differences might you see?

quote:

One question I have is has anyone had any experience with DLP TVs specially the Mitsubishi 840s? I haven't found hardly any professional reviews on them and rear projection/DLP isn't even mentioned in the first post. They seem like a great value but there doesn't seem to be very much information on them so I'm worried they aren't worth it.

I have a JVC 62" DLP right now that I am looking to replace. I've had it for about 6-7 years. Replaced the bulb once (Approx. $200). As of about 2 years ago I did get a large yellow ring in the screen. Looked into it and in order to replace it, I am basically replacing the main component of the TV, which was not cost effective. I'm not sure how rare this is, but you can really only notice it against white backgrounds. Nonetheless, if you keep replacing the bulbs when needed, it's the type of TV that could last a LONG time.

As far as picture quality goes, I thought it was very comparable at the time but compared to the TV's today it could be better. I have seen some of the new DLP's and they seem to look really nice, especially for the value. Just depends if you want to be trendy and have a TV on your wall or you don't mind taking up a little more space and taking advantage of the value.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Mitsubishi is out of the DLP business now so if you want one buy it.

Smoking_Dragon
Dec 12, 2001

WOE UNTO THEE
Pillbug

AzCoug posted:

What differences might you see?

According to the articles the black levels aren't as good as higher end LED and Plasma TVs. It also suffers from uniformity issues (whatever that means).

quote:

I have a JVC 62" DLP right now that I am looking to replace. I've had it for about 6-7 years. Replaced the bulb once (Approx. $200). As of about 2 years ago I did get a large yellow ring in the screen. Looked into it and in order to replace it, I am basically replacing the main component of the TV, which was not cost effective. I'm not sure how rare this is, but you can really only notice it against white backgrounds. Nonetheless, if you keep replacing the bulbs when needed, it's the type of TV that could last a LONG time.

As far as picture quality goes, I thought it was very comparable at the time but compared to the TV's today it could be better. I have seen some of the new DLP's and they seem to look really nice, especially for the value. Just depends if you want to be trendy and have a TV on your wall or you don't mind taking up a little more space and taking advantage of the value.

I'd actually prefer it sit on a stand, it makes it a lot easier to hook-up stuff to it. My current TV is from 2004 so pretty much no matter what TV I get it will be a lot thinner.

Smoking_Dragon fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jan 7, 2013

deadhoarse
Oct 18, 2004

Pain of Mind posted:

I bought a 50" Panasonic Viera plasma (TC-50PU54) from Costco a few months ago since they were cheap, and I have noticed there has been some buzzing when there are a lot of light colors on the screen. During normal daytime use it is noticable but not a big deal, but if I have the volume low at night or whatever it is somewhat annoying. I am normally about 7-8 feet or so from the tv. It has been buzzing since I took it out of the box. It is still under warrenty, and I think for 50" or bigger Costco will send someone to your house to fix it, so I don't even need to try and fit it back in my car. I have never had a plasma tv before, so I am not sure if this level of buzzing is normal or not, is it worth having them send someone out to look at it? It is usable but if it was quieter it would be better.

I hear buzzing from every plasma I watch (ex: my older Samsung, and family's Panasonic, LG and Samsung), I think some people are just more sensitive to it.

deadhoarse fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jan 7, 2013

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Smoking_Dragon posted:

I'd actually prefer it sit on a stand, it makes it a lot easier to hook-up stuff to it. My current TV is from 2004 so pretty much no matter what TV I get it will be a lot thinner.

Most new flat panel tv's have all the connections on the side so even hanging on a wall they are easy to plug stuff into.

AzCoug
Jun 10, 2010

Don Lapre posted:

Most new flat panel tv's have all the connections on the side so even hanging on a wall they are easy to plug stuff into.

And if you're using a receive, chances are you only have one HDMI going to your TV and everything else to the receiver.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t

Smoking_Dragon posted:

I have a 65" Mitsubishi DLP I got around the end of 2007 I think, I cannot recall the model #. The DLP chip thing started leaving tons of white pixels and black pixels ~ 4 years after buying it, I had to pay $250ish to get it repaired(I think it is more and Mitubishi paid the remaining amount). Now it looks like a little dust got in it, probably when the guy fixed it, and there is kind of a dust flare type thing when the screen is dark on the upper right side. The picture quality and everything is good, but I am assuming people are no longer making them because they have too many mechanical issues.

deadhoarse posted:

I hear buzzing from every plasma I watch (ex: my older Samsung, and family's Panasonic, LG and Samsung), I think some people are just more sensitive to it.

Hmm, maybe it is just me. I might call their tech support just to see what they say anyway.

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

Is there such a thing as 120mhz plasma? I've seen a lot of these 600mhz models which I know isn't really the same as standard refresh rate, but what effect does it have? Is it better than 120? Worse? Weird?

quaker69
Jul 3, 2004

Four measures of cheap Vodka combined with a bottle of Bawls
Lipstick Apathy
Very high end plasmas are 96hz for 24fps. Otherwise they're 60hz and 48hz for 24p

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

BrettRobb posted:

Very high end plasmas are 96hz for 24fps. Otherwise they're 60hz and 48hz for 24p
To clarify, a 60hz unit will step to 48hz, presumably to reduce any jitter from not being a perfect multiple of 24?

The Biggest Jerk
Nov 25, 2012
Anybody have any experience or recommendations for a 65-70-inch led-lcd tv? Parents asked me to choose one for them, but having never bought something this large before, looking at Cnet reviews I'm hesitant to pick any of them since there don't seem to be any glowing reviews for any of them. So far the Sharp LC-70LE73U

http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-tvs/sharp-aquos-quattron-lc/4505-6482_7-34477615.html

looks to be ok, but the fact that they gave it a 3.5 stars when all the complaints were rather nitpicky is making me irrationally paranoid about getting it.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Farts Domino posted:

Is there such a thing as 120mhz plasma? I've seen a lot of these 600mhz models which I know isn't really the same as standard refresh rate, but what effect does it have? Is it better than 120? Worse? Weird?

600Hz refers to subfield drive, an electrical property that all plasmas need to work properly. It has been misappropriated by marketing and has nothing to do with refresh rate.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Farts Domino posted:

To clarify, a 60hz unit will step to 48hz, presumably to reduce any jitter from not being a perfect multiple of 24?

Just so you know, I find the 48hz mode on my ST50 unusable. The flicker is too much.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Should I expect to see significant price drops over the next few months on last year's models?

AzCoug
Jun 10, 2010
The Consumer Electronics Show is going on right now in Las Vegas. This is when the new models are revealed and prices on last year's models should begin to drop in order to make room for the new ones. I believe the new ones come out around March?...

AzCoug
Jun 10, 2010
55" Ultra HD, 4K resolution, OLED for $12K?!...I don't think so.

diesiel
Aug 11, 2012
Is it just me or is it impossible to get an 55inch ST50 in Toronto? I've checked all the major retailers and its sold out everywhere, only amazon has one and its refurbished, yuck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?
Due to a removal man smashing my TV in a recent house move, I'm in the market for a new one. I'm in the UK, & thinking of spending around £500 on a replacement.

I watch mainly TV & films (HD mkv files & the occasional bluray), plus a bit of gaming (xbox).
I'm hoping to get a 46" - 50" screen for that price, and I need 4 HDMI ports. I don't care at all about 3D or smart features as I have a Boxee, Apple TV & Xbox already.

Guessing it's not worth looking at plasma for this price, any suggestions?