Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

ephori posted:

What's the go-to for HDMI cables these days?

I usually go with Anker everything, but Warrky has been undercutting them on price and has weird stuff like 90° mini hdmi->regular HDMI adapters. All their stuff works as advertised, just make sure you buy exactly what you're trying to buy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Cable Matters is known to be reliable but have no personal experience. They sell a 5 meter 48gbps active cable for $20.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah I have a bunch of cable matters Ethernet and a 100w thunderbolt 3 6' cable and a bunch of older HDMI/dvi stuff but I haven't bought from them in 5+ years as the prices have creeped up. Cable Matters and Anker are equal in my book, or, they were 5 years ago

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
I use a cable matters HDMI cable with my ps5 and oled TV. Don't have any issues with VRR or 120hz output.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Those are high bandwidth cables, of course they’re going to need to be thick and annoying.

Cable Matters, Bluerigger, Anker, Monoprice, all make high quality HDMI 2.1 cables.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Why do dark scenes look so bad in HDR on my LG OLED C2?

For whatever reason, blacks in HDR are just gray. Everything seems to be covered in a Vaseline of gray. I'm not having this problem in SDR. I've tried tweaking every setting under the sun, including changing the black levels, toggling dynamic tone mapping and auto dynamic contrast on/off, etc.

Seriously, this is loving embarrassing for an OLED. Should I have just bought a Sony?

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Rtings mentions something about disabling Automatic Brightness Limiting (ABL), although I don't know what it would make the blacks bright.
https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/c2-oled

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Is this streaming or off a disc?

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Blu-Ray remuxes through an Apple TV. ABL is off.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Why do dark scenes look so bad in HDR on my LG OLED C2?

For whatever reason, blacks in HDR are just gray. Everything seems to be covered in a Vaseline of gray. I'm not having this problem in SDR. I've tried tweaking every setting under the sun, including changing the black levels, toggling dynamic tone mapping and auto dynamic contrast on/off, etc.

Seriously, this is loving embarrassing for an OLED. Should I have just bought a Sony?

Not sure if it's relevant or not but when I watch those HDR LG Demo videos on YouTube on my C2, the blacks are really black. Do you see this same thing on something like YouTube or another source aside from the ATV?

This thread on Reddit helped me before when my HDR was looking a little weird on my Apple TV. I did what they said and set the ATV to 4k SDR and turned Match Content on and it fixed it. Also make sure the color space is set correctly.

A Proper Uppercut fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Mar 15, 2024

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Blu-ray remuxes or UHD Blu-ray remuxes?

If only Blu-ray, make sure the apple tv isn't outputting HDR because SDR to HDR conversion can make weird things happen.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Do you really think it's the fault of the model and not something to do with your specific setup/configuration? Or did every professional review just miss this glaring issue?

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

qbert posted:

Do you really think it's the fault of the model and not something to do with your specific setup/configuration? Or did every professional review just miss this glaring issue?
Unhelpful post.

A Proper Uppercut posted:

Not sure if it's relevant or not but when I watch those HDR LG Demo videos on YouTube on my C2, the blacks are really black. Do you see this same thing on something like YouTube or another source aside from the ATV?

This thread on Reddit helped me before when my HDR was looking a little weird on my Apple TV. I did what they said and set the ATV to 4k SDR and turned Match Content on and it fixed it. Also make sure the color space is set correctly.
Helpful post. Very helpful post. This, along with changing from YCbCr to RGB High, outright fixed the problem. In all of my googling, I could not find this answer and idk why. It's a seemingly nonsensical answer because Match Range should just toggle to HDR and preclude having anything to do with the range it's in in the menus. This is a crazy bad bug. Thanks very much!

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

I mean... that sounds like not a bug, but a not straight forward configuration issue. which is what that other poster was saying :shrug:

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Tatsuta Age posted:

I mean... that sounds like not a bug, but a not straight forward configuration issue. which is what that other poster was saying :shrug:
I think slathering HDR output in gray because ATV menus are set to show in Dolby Vision is probably a bug!

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

I think slathering HDR output in gray because ATV menus are set to show in Dolby Vision is probably a bug!

To be fair, it's more of an Apple TV bug than a C2 bug.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Yeah it is absolutely an Apple TV bug, and an insanely glaring one. This is supposed to be the "premium" option and Apple has had plenty of time to figure this out when they were fiddling with, i.e., using your iPhone to make color calibrations. The ATV otherwise works so flawlessly that I assumed it must be a C2 bug, but nope.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Yeah it is absolutely an Apple TV bug, and an insanely glaring one. This is supposed to be the "premium" option and Apple has had plenty of time to figure this out when they were fiddling with, i.e., using your iPhone to make color calibrations. The ATV otherwise works so flawlessly that I assumed it must be a C2 bug, but nope.

I've been having some weird issues with my ATV remote too that I'm still trying to figure out. And I also had similar issues as you with the HDR wonkiness.

I was surprised about the issues because lf all the good stuff I've heard about it, and the general rep of Apple stuff "just working". Maybe that's just marketing as I use Android.

Though at the moment I seem to have everything working well so hopefully it's all ironed out.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Have you guys tried turning on Match dynamic range to see if it fixes it?

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Corb3t posted:

Have you guys tried turning on Match dynamic range to see if it fixes it?

It's a seemingly nonsensical answer because Match Range should just toggle to HDR and preclude having anything to do with the range it's in in the menus.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

A Proper Uppercut posted:

I've been having some weird issues with my ATV remote too that I'm still trying to figure out. And I also had similar issues as you with the HDR wonkiness.
Is it that your volume control stopped working? That's a problem I've been having more and more lately, but there is a temporary fix: reset the remote by holding down the TV button and the volume down button till it says "Remote Disconnected."

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

It's a seemingly nonsensical answer because Match Range should just toggle to HDR and preclude having anything to do with the range it's in in the menus. This is a crazy bad bug. Thanks very much!

But did you actually try it?

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Corb3t posted:

Yes, that's one of the things that fixed the issue.

And my remote issue is I seem to have some Bluetooth interference or something as the remote is randomly losing connection with the ATV. I moved the ATV box to another spot and it seems to be working better so far.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

The ATV otherwise works so flawlessly that I assumed it must be a C2 bug, but nope.
Lmao

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Corb3t posted:

If it wasn't clear from the post, yes I had it on the whole time.
Sorry I was mean to your favorite TV brand!

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Don't you dare speak ill of General Electric brand televisors, old man.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Lol they don't even make good lightbulbs anymore

(Neither does Phillips. Like, drat, they're unreliable trash up in Canada)

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Apparently Phillips makes special LED bulbs specifically for Dubai because the laws about lightbulbs are ridiculously strict and written by a pissed off electrical engineer or similar

TheOneVader
Jun 9, 2006

Don't kiss your sister, Son...
I had good luck with Philips LED bulbs. Cheap, high CRI, dimmable. Bought them after watching this: https://youtu.be/XeR2uPPCA2k?si=jHe5E_cQTJw-3KG-

Though I can't necessarily vouch for that channel.

Edit: I just realized you originally meant GE, but also mentioned Philips so I guess my point stands.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

My wife just got me a Phillips day light alarm clock but the drat thing keeps resetting the time back. :lol: Need to do an exchange with Amazon. Can't find anything about it online either. So loving weird. Not a power issue either as my bed is connected to the same outlet and i'd hear that thing going off if it lost power.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
What tv software has the least adverts on it? By which I mean I can remove all the suggestions, pre-installed apps etc. I wanted to get an LG tv but it looks like most of the Home Screen is trying to get me to subscribe to other services.

I know that I can plug in a box, but that’s just another thing to worry about making sure everything works correctly.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

You do not have to see the home screen once after set-up, even if you use built-in apps.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

My MIL and the Airbnb we just stayed at both have LG and they have a giant ad for the streaming TV flavor service of the week and probably an ad for Netflix's streaming sporting event coming up

Even my Chromecast ultra has ads for Quibi++ Prime Ultra or whatever, despite the fact that I only use it for YouTube premium and Netflix

Can you run a xbmc/Plex box with Netflix and YouTube these days?

Ruffian Price posted:

You do not have to see the home screen once after set-up, even if you use built-in apps.

Even if this is true, there's no guarantee they won't change the rules later. My Samsung periodically shows ads for Hyundai or whatever in the UI that I can't opt out of, plus it's probably listening to me :tinfoil:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

You can't escape ads no matter what you use. Even Apple TV has self promotion in it.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Other than the very rare ad on my Samsung, highway billboards, and commercials on my mom's TV, VPN video sponsors on YouTube, plus weird local handyman ads on social media I've very nearly cut advertising out of my household. They're rare enough that when they come on my 3yo will say or ask "is this a commercial?" every time

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

Ruffian Price posted:

So I can set it to go straight to OTA tv for example?

Animale
Sep 30, 2009

Sri.Theo posted:

What tv software has the least adverts on it? By which I mean I can remove all the suggestions, pre-installed apps etc. I wanted to get an LG tv but it looks like most of the Home Screen is trying to get me to subscribe to other services.

I know that I can plug in a box, but that’s just another thing to worry about making sure everything works correctly.

You can do a basic TV mode on the Google TV.

https://support.google.com/googletv/answer/10408998?hl=en

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Sri.Theo posted:

So I can set it to go straight to OTA tv for example?
When it's set like this

it defaults to last input source (cycling between the HDMI inputs and antenna). if that was TV that's what you'll get

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Hadlock posted:

Even if this is true, there's no guarantee they won't change the rules later. My Samsung periodically shows ads for Hyundai or whatever in the UI that I can't opt out of, plus it's probably listening to me :tinfoil:

The trick is to never connect your TV to the internet. Or at most, disconnect it or change your access point after initial set-up. If you wanna get real froggy, open up the back and rip out the wi-fi and BT antennas. :getin:

Samsungs are a real bitch because you can't even turn off the bluetooth. They're considered a huge security risk in government buildings, but idiot property and executive types still buy them.

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Mar 21, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

You mean to tell me the laggy performance of my Samsung is due to a drive by Bluetooth exploit and further side loaded a Bitcoin miner on there?!?!