Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

qbert posted:

Just get the Apple TV or the Shield Pro depending on whether you prefer Apple or Android.

Yeah I’ll probably have to do that. In that case is there any way to avoid having multiple remotes for changing the volume, switching ports to watch over the air TV etc?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
:siren: Dunno about the States, but Best Buy Canada and Visions Electronics have a promotion where you can buy a Samsung television (s90d, s95d, q90d, q900d) for the price of the size under it, until April 3rd, I think.

65" for the price of the 55", 77" for the price of the 65", etc.
For Best Buy.ca, you need to add it to your cart first. Visions has a banner ad showing the discounted prices:
https://www.visions.ca/catalogue/category/ProductResults.aspx?categoryId=0&searchText=_size_up_tv_promo

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Mar 30, 2024

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Sri.Theo posted:

Yeah I’ll probably have to do that. In that case is there any way to avoid having multiple remotes for changing the volume, switching ports to watch over the air TV etc?

I don’t use OTA (I use IPTV) but I can control all my devices with the Apple TV remote or the lg remote. The have HomePods, I ditched my receiver and speakers years ago after my kiddo was born.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

My Onkyo receiver unsurprisingly after 7 years or so has a blown HDMI board, so it’s time to switch it out.

While not as regularly as I used to, I did use the 2nd HDMI out for a patio TV but with issues ever since I got a 4K TV out there, which I think is down to the cable run that was installed in the house before I moved in not having the bandwidth. Given the trend of receivers to only drop 2nd HDMI entirely in the price range I’m buying in and then include true Multi HDMI at four figure price points, I was thinking of getting a Yamaha V6A and running it into an HDMI splitter that supports downscaling (https://a.co/d/ggmoK5m) and hopefully resolving the issue.

Anyone done similar? Reviews make me think this little box might be a bit finicky and involve power cycling if the signal isn’t perfect (which is important for the main screen) but I don’t have anything too crazy going on and it’ll mostly just be regular TV watching going on, no 4K 120 or anything like that.

A4L have the receiver for $400 which seems reasonable for what you’re getting.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
Back to shield pro, would I even gain anything upgrading from my OG shield to a pro? With the Kodi Plex addon I've not run into much I can't play, but since I'm moving I always feel like I COULD upgrade... 🤔

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Shield Pro has Nvidia upscaling to 4k that might look better than your TV's scaler

UncleButts
Sep 25, 2003

pure of heart
dumb of ass

ROJO posted:

So, switched from an old 65" Samsung TV from 2016 to a 77" G3. Huge upgrade, obviously. The TV is hooked directly to a Denon receiver (AVR-X3300W) that then has about 6 or 7 HDMI devices hanging off it (chromecast, PS4, switch, UHD blu-ray player, various other niche HDMI consoles, etc)

In the past, I always had CEC issues with some sources just generally not working, and I was under the impression this was due to the number of devices hooked up, and CEC maxing out at 4 devices or something. If I changed configurations, the specific sources that didn't work would usually change around, but usually some worked and some didn't and I lived with it. Everything either worked fully with CEC up and down the chain, or didn't work at all - it was totally binary.

Now what is happening is that my sources that seems to 'work' with CEC in the current setup (chromecast, PS4, etc) will only turn the TV on, but not the receiver. The passthrough video works fine, but I get no audio without the receiver on. Turning the TV off, or shutting the video source down, properly turns everything off up and down the chain, including the receiver. Other sources, as before, just continue to have no response whatsoever with either the receiver or the TV via CEC - which is unchanged. So unlike before, now the CEC behavior on the 'working' devices, is lopsided. It doesn't fully turn everything in the chain on, but everything in the chain shuts down properly - which seems odd.

Any ideas on how to trouble shoot this or things I could do to try to resolve this? It is annoying to have to get my receiver remote out every time I turn things on.

Hopefully what I have written all makes sense - let me know if it doesn't.

I use a CEC blocker dongle on everything but my receiver in the ARC port. So I have to manually switch between inputs, but the TV remote correctly controls the receiver.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

EL BROMANCE posted:

My Onkyo receiver unsurprisingly after 7 years or so has a blown HDMI board, so it’s time to switch it out.

A4L have the receiver for $400 which seems reasonable for what you’re getting.

Definitely wandering into :actually: territory but might look into have a repair shop look at it, a lot of times it's just the capacitor(s) that need replacement which might be less than a hundred bucks. I've never had a receiver fail but maybe I'm just lucky.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah I considered that, I know the old Onkyos always used to need a full board change out and it feels like there’s enough going wrong (both picture and video issues that have gotten worse in time) that I might end up pumping a bunch of money in repairs for issues that’ll keep coming back. I might keep it aside and see if there’s a cheap repair possible in the future and then either find another use for it or sell/give it away to a friend.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

EL BROMANCE posted:

Yeah I considered that, going wrong (both picture and video issues that have gotten worse in time)

That sounds a lot like a capacitor. There's water inside and over time it leaks or evaporates. Good luck

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
I’ve got a ~4 year old Samsung LED TV that just lost all brightness on the left 25% of the screen - you can still barely make out the image, but it’s extremely dim. Is there anything I can check or fix, or is it new TV time already?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

OK, this is genuinely funny

quote:

In this week’s edition of his Lowpass newsletter, Janko Roettgers covered a Roku patent that seems to telegraph that the company is planning some heavy advertising tactics for those who purchase Roku TV televisions. The patent centers around the idea of displaying ads on these TVs whenever they’re tuned to an HDMI input that’s paused or idle. Theoretically, this would allow Roku to present ads throughout your whole TV experience — and in places where it’s not viable to do so today. Your PS5, Xbox, Apple TV, or Blu-ray player could become yet another canvas for the company to continue growing its already-lucrative advertising business.

According to the patent, the company would use a number of different clues to determine when an HDMI source is paused; the Roku TV could wait for extended audio silence or simply analyze the onscreen frames to gauge when movement has stopped, among other approaches. And the patent mentions using automatic content recognition (ACR) to detect what you’re watching on an Apple TV (or playing on a console) to present with relevant ads. ACR is nothing new and one of those things that many of us agree to when quickly going through a new TV’s initial setup.

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.
playing into the breach and getting a blaring ad every time I think about my turn for too long

watching satantango and getting constant overlaid ads because not enough pixels are changing fast enough

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

One more reason to never connect your tv to the Internet after the initial stability patch

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

"stability" MOAR ADS

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Toebone posted:

I’ve got a ~4 year old Samsung LED TV that just lost all brightness on the left 25% of the screen - you can still barely make out the image, but it’s extremely dim. Is there anything I can check or fix, or is it new TV time already?

It might be a bad ground you can temporarily fix by giving it a good thump but pretty sure this is God telling you to get a good deal on a C3 while you still can

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah, I don’t *need* a new screen but I’m keeping my eyes open on how low a C3 77 will hit. My 8 year old EF9500 (LG OLED before they changed the model numbering) is getting close to the 20,000 hour mark now. What a great screen it’s been, but I’m not sure how long realistically it has left.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
I have an LG OLED55C9PLA I got in October 2019. It's a great TV. I'd love to get a 65 inch panel but other than that, has there been much improvement in TVs that would make an upgrade worthwhile? I have a soundbar so I'm not concerned about built-in sound quality.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
OLEDs can get pretty significantly brighter now

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Probably the correct upgrade cycle post 2015 is about 7 years. I'm not sure how much better a $2000 tv can get though. Over time they will lose brightness off their nameplate brightness by at least 10%

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.

Hadlock posted:

It might be a bad ground you can temporarily fix by giving it a good thump but pretty sure this is God telling you to get a good deal on a C3 while you still can

Are Sony Bravias good? I saw this refurb model today

https://www.microcenter.com/product/665570/sony-xr-55a80k-55-class-(546-diag)-4k-ultra-hd-smart-oled-tv-(refurbished)

Edit: or there’s also this LG

https://www.microcenter.com/product/674241/lg-oled48c3pua-48-class-(482-diag)-4k-ultra-hd-smart-led-tv-(refurbished)

Toebone fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Apr 6, 2024

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

morestuff posted:

OLEDs can get pretty significantly brighter now

do we actually need more brightness though

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Yaoi Gagarin posted:

do we actually need more brightness though

I can't go back after getting a Hisense that can hit 1700 nits.

Seriously considering a Samsung s95d because it can do 16-1700 nits on a 10% screen, and 1000 even at 18%. But it's a qd-oled

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.
Kinda curious as to why monitors have been exempt from the ad filled hellscape that TVs have been for the past 7+ years at this point.

Is it simple as “big screen more expensive and needs something to subsidize the cost”?

I guess monitors are largely a more expensive per square inch. Even something like a 49” Super Ultrawide is still $1k+ on sale, so maybe I answered my own question, but I’m curious if there are other reasons I hadn’t considered.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Monitors don’t have smart apps do they? Can they even connect to the internet? My dell 27 inch 4ks can’t, I don’t think.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

tehinternet posted:

Kinda curious as to why monitors have been exempt from the ad filled hellscape that TVs have been for the past 7+ years at this point.

Is it simple as “big screen more expensive and needs something to subsidize the cost”?

I guess monitors are largely a more expensive per square inch. Even something like a 49” Super Ultrawide is still $1k+ on sale, so maybe I answered my own question, but I’m curious if there are other reasons I hadn’t considered.

Monitors are for work, made to a budget, smaller, dimmer, and it's highly likely that any entertainment ability required will be provided by the attached peripheral, either as a primary or secondary function. No one buys a monitor expecting it to include an SoC, internal storage, and user interface with app support. The customer just needs a display for something else.

The whole smart tv concept isa convenience born of laziness/minimalism/cord cutters and (relatively) ubiquitous access to broadband internet. Why have a stand and yet another clunky box taking up space, when you can have a TV directly on the wall like it's 1984 Star Trek

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Apr 7, 2024

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Monitors are for commercial use, smart TV are for low to mid consumer use; totally different markets and profit margins

Not even going to touch consumer audio vs powered monitor speakers

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Windows is showing so much paid crap there’s no space for a monitor to overlay its own.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

Windows is showing so much paid crap there’s no space for a monitor to overlay its own.

Xbox One literally became that meme where the entire screen is covered in ads

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Wondering if any of you can answer this because I'm having a hard time finding an answer:

On my LG OLED TV, when using Dolby Vision on Xbox Series X, the "Color Gamut" option is set to Native and greyed out. I don't like using Native in any mode because everything becomes over-saturated. Is this just something that Dolby Vision dictates or is there possibly an issue somewhere in the setup?

I also wish there was a way to force Dolby Vision for some games and HDR10 for others because some games look better in one or the other, but that's perhaps a question for the Xbox thread.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

I also wish there was a way to force Dolby Vision for some games and HDR10 for others because some games look better in one or the other, but that's perhaps a question for the Xbox thread.

I mean, isn’t that what the DV option in XBOX settings does? Just turn it off for games you want to play in HDR10.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

qbert posted:

I mean, isn’t that what the DV option in XBOX settings does? Just turn it off for games you want to play in HDR10.

Yes, but it means having to go into settings and enable it or disable it depending on the game. Not too big of a hassle I guess.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Is the 42 inch C3 bright enough for SDR use? I’m seeing some places say it’s 190 nits which seems pretty drat low to me. It wouldn’t be used much in a bright room but still.

Seems like the C4 uses the same panel for that size so I doubt it’s much of an improvement.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Rtings review shows 2-400+ nits, depending. Turning "Peak Brightness" to Off locks the brightness to 200 nits, so maybe that's where they're getting the lower figure.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Mister Facetious posted:

Rtings review shows 2-400+ nits, depending. Turning "Peak Brightness" to Off locks the brightness to 200 nits, so maybe that's where they're getting the lower figure.

I believe they reviewed a larger size one for that. The 42 inch ones are less bright apparently. More so in game mode.

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Apr 13, 2024

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

My "I have more money than sense this month." purchase arrived this morning:

A 65" Samsung S95D OLED.

Notes:
- Nothing messed with out of the box aside from changing the default picture setting from Eco to Film
- Using the newest Apple TV 4K (includes Ethernet port! :eng101: ) set to HDR10+
- Compared to my previous 55", I didn't think I'd get used to the 65" size immediately; it's like I've, always had a TV that big... :stare:
- this thing is stupidly bright, but that's why i pulled the trigger on it. Between the size and the brightness, secondary/ambient light is unnecessary.
- motion interpolation in game mode makes 30fps games like Tears of the Kingdom play smooth, without adding enough input lag to ruin the gameplay.

- I have a Northeast facing window with very bright indirect sunlight, about eight feet away and to the right

Matte screen opinions:
- Glare from the window is generally unnoticeable during video unless the screen is showing dark colors/black. More noticeable during a static screen. Opening scene of Top Gun Maverick on the aircraft carrier; the glare is noticeable in the backlit people/jets, but not the sky.
- It's very good at turning any glare into just a white smear
- The matte screen looks cheap when the TV is off :-/
- Blinds closed: i could still see them on my glossy TV during video; I can't see them on this one.
- ceiling light: not noticeable

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Apr 17, 2024

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Sony announced their 2024 models, going hard on mini-LED and digging through the specs I was surprised to still see this:

quote:

HDMI IN1, IN2 ports for 4K(up to 18Gbps) signal, HDMI IN3, IN4 port for 4K(up to 48Gbps) signal
I hope the $3/unit they're saving on a 3 grand TV is worth it.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Is their Ethernet still 100 meg? Cheap assholes.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

qirex posted:

Sony announced their 2024 models, going hard on mini-LED and digging through the specs I was surprised to still see this:

I hope the $3/unit they're saving on a 3 grand TV is worth it.

Samsung and LG make their own SoCs, Sony has to buy and the supplier, Mediatek, only offers two ports on their current high end 4k SoC. It's why you see the same thing from basically every manufacturer save LG and Samsung.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Incessant Excess posted:

Samsung and LG make their own SoCs, Sony has to buy and the supplier, Mediatek, only offers two ports on their current high end 4k SoC. It's why you see the same thing from basically every manufacturer save LG and Samsung.
I bet Mediatek has managed to make a better one in the last 5 years, which is how long they've been doing this.