Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

samurai slowdown posted:

I'm not sure what you mean by white flicker. If the entire screen turns a solid color (or black) for a split second, that could be an HDMI "handshake" issue. Cable boxes are notorious for flaky HDMI support. If the issue happens on more than one input then it is a problem with the TV itself.

It seems like that could be it, although we only just use our PS3 via HDMI. It's hard to explain more than just a random white flicker.

I'm in the return Window and will probably end up bringing it back and going up another 5 - 10 inches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

cowofwar posted:

Yes.

What do you even have that uses s-video?

As mentioned above, it's the best quality video you can get out of the PS2 with best compatibility. Most PS2 games work with component, but PS1 games don't, at least on my current TV (Vizio VL370)

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

xarph posted:

As mentioned above, it's the best quality video you can get out of the PS2 with best compatibility. Most PS2 games work with component, but PS1 games don't, at least on my current TV (Vizio VL370)

THAT would be because your TV's scaler doesn't do 240p/288p/"Arcade Mode". It's common with analog component ADCs that are slaves to the DTV-derived parts of the component video spec.

I bet certain games - notably Final Fantasy but in practice like half of them - look like they got stretched in MS Paint. If they're using 512 framebuffers (576 samples) or less then that's pretty much what's happening, and I haven't seen a flatscreen that did those justice since like 2009 - but modern TVs are getting closer, oddly enough at a time when such a task will soon no longer be useful.

The only thing I can recommend is try your PS2 with some TVs. I don't know if your typical electronics chain will understand (although Best Buy did back at the end of 2011), but anything that moves TVs is usually worth tolerating and any salesperson worth their salary or store worth your patronage will know it's not worth a customer's time to try and hack a TV, especially over component video, and if you do something really objectionable they probably have a legal recourse.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Jan 27, 2013

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
Does anyone have experiences in different active 3D glasses from Philips?

onemanlan
Oct 4, 2006
Edit: bad plasma tv experience. went led instead.

onemanlan fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Jan 28, 2013

LaserWash
Jun 28, 2006
Okay, this bothers me enough that I have to ask and am considering taking back my LG 55LM4600 that I purchased earlier in the month for what ended up being $800.

The TV has started to "blink" off and on while playing PS3 or cable TV for a period of about 1-2 seconds at a time. It usually happens every 15-45 minutes. The other day, the TV just flat shut off without a way of turning it back on (I KNOW that I didn't have the off button pushed on either remote). I had to climb up on the ladder, unplug the TV, and then replug it.

I've also had several instances where there were a line of about 10-15 pixels that got stuck. A restart of the TV has solved that problem.

The firmware is the latest that has been posted on LG's page.

Is this kind of behavior common in LED LCDs? I'm used to my old Samsung LCD that never had ANY problems.

quaker69
Jul 3, 2004

Four measures of cheap Vodka combined with a bottle of Bawls
Lipstick Apathy
No. LEDs shouldn't behave any differently than Lcds or any tv for that matter.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

LaserWash posted:

Is this kind of behavior common in LED LCDs? I'm used to my old Samsung LCD that never had ANY problems.

Obviously this isn't normal behavior. Call LG.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

Elysium posted:

The Vizio E601i-A3 is $700 on amazon warehouse. That's almost as cheap as the crazy Black Friday deal. However, you only get a 30 day warranty with amazon warehouse items, and I've been seeing a lot of complaints of the tvs just straight up dying.

They have it new for $888.

This looks like a really great deal and tv. I'll probably go with this next week. My only concern is it said the refresh rate was 120 hz "with smooth motion". Am i just reading that wrong or is that the normal process with refresh rates? Ideally I'd love something with 240 but I'm pretty sure I'd have to spend over $1200 for it.

EDIT: After some more digging, I might go with a 55" Samsung instead. I found a good amount of negative reviews for the vizio set and almost all were the same problem (dying set/no picture within 60 days of purchase). What do you guys think I should do? I've always been happy with Vizio products but I don't want to get this then have to deal with customer support if it craps out right away.

Kingtheninja fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Jan 28, 2013

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.

Kingtheninja posted:

This looks like a really great deal and tv. I'll probably go with this next week. My only concern is it said the refresh rate was 120 hz "with smooth motion". Am i just reading that wrong or is that the normal process with refresh rates? Ideally I'd love something with 240 but I'm pretty sure I'd have to spend over $1200 for it.

EDIT: After some more digging, I might go with a 55" Samsung instead. I found a good amount of negative reviews for the vizio set and almost all were the same problem (dying set/no picture within 60 days of purchase). What do you guys think I should do? I've always been happy with Vizio products but I don't want to get this then have to deal with customer support if it craps out right away.

Most of the problems with dying TVs seem to be centered on a few serial numbers, namely those that are 46 and under. Much less reported problems with more recent batches of the TV. There was also an issue of lip sync problems which has supposedly been fixed with a recent firmware update.

Those who's TVs haven't broken seem to love it. Good picture, good black levels for an cheap LED. Bad viewing angles some say.

Buying from Amazon warehouse seems risky on this TV (Though they do have some for $691 now) with only 30 days for return. I've read mixed reviews about squaretrade warranties.

You can pick one up at Target with 5% off coupon, and 5% off if you use a redcard, and then you would at least have a local place to return it if it dies within the return period (otherwise 1 year warranty from Vizio should replace it). They might let you check serial numbers before you buy. Other options are buying at Costco, which has a 90 day no questions asked return policy, and extends the manufacturer warranty by a year. They should have a stack of them just sitting out so you can look at the serial numbers.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF
As the resident IT guy at work (even though that isn't my job) I've been tasked with outfitting our conference room with some new-to-us technology and a large part of that is an HDTV.

Requirements -
50-55" LED panel (as thin as possible)
It has to be a Smart tv with built in web browser and we're also looking for a video conferencing solution. I assume an external camera is the way to go, but are there decent built in options? I know TV's run skype and such and that may be the closest option really. My boss wants to be able to Skype/Facetime from his iPad while he's on the road or on "vacation." Then of course video conferencing with other companies we work with on west coast as well, but I don't think they have anything setup yet, so they would probably build off whatever we get.

Other things, the TV is going to be hooked up to DirecTV (i think my boss wants to watch tv at work or something) - The TV will also be used locally for meetings/presentations so having VGA and HDMI inputs would be nice as I'll be routing the cables through the wall to a "connection" station for the presenter, although are there wireless solutions that would be easier maybe with like a USB dongle in the PC and then something on the TV to mirror the display or whatever?

I'll be working over the next month to get this all setup, basically needs to be in place by Feb 28th.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

thebushcommander posted:

As the resident IT guy at work (even though that isn't my job) I've been tasked with outfitting our conference room with some new-to-us technology and a large part of that is an HDTV.

Requirements -
50-55" LED panel (as thin as possible)
It has to be a Smart tv with built in web browser and we're also looking for a video conferencing solution. I assume an external camera is the way to go, but are there decent built in options? I know TV's run skype and such and that may be the closest option really. My boss wants to be able to Skype/Facetime from his iPad while he's on the road or on "vacation." Then of course video conferencing with other companies we work with on west coast as well, but I don't think they have anything setup yet, so they would probably build off whatever we get.

Other things, the TV is going to be hooked up to DirecTV (i think my boss wants to watch tv at work or something) - The TV will also be used locally for meetings/presentations so having VGA and HDMI inputs would be nice as I'll be routing the cables through the wall to a "connection" station for the presenter, although are there wireless solutions that would be easier maybe with like a USB dongle in the PC and then something on the TV to mirror the display or whatever?

I'll be working over the next month to get this all setup, basically needs to be in place by Feb 28th.

You dont want to rely on the browser built into a smart tv. You would be better off buying something like the zotac AD10 and loading windows on it for web browsing tasks. It would also allow you to use any standard webcam for skype.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

Don Lapre posted:

You dont want to rely on the browser built into a smart tv. You would be better off buying something like the zotac AD10 and loading windows on it for web browsing tasks. It would also allow you to use any standard webcam for skype.

Quite honestly I don't know how much actual web browsing would be going on, my guess is none-minimal, my boss just has these crazy ideas that it's poo poo that he actually needs. For instance I also have to get a flat screen for his office so he can have the news playing in the background and it also needs to have web browsing capabilities even though he has a computer w/ 27" monitor 5 ft away.

He also said maybe getting an AppleTV would be a nice addition, again I can't think of a reason we'd need an ATV, I should also mention that all of my attempts to save him money in this or anything are always shot down. So price is essentially no object.

thebushcommander fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Jan 28, 2013

rock2much
Feb 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
For those of you that buy TVs from Amazon, do you also buy the protection? I bought an L42E50 and have a few weeks before I'm unable to purchase protection. Prior to that I bought a 50" Samsung from BestBuy with the protection and have never had to use it.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

rock2much posted:

For those of you that buy TVs from Amazon, do you also buy the protection? I bought an L42E50 and have a few weeks before I'm unable to purchase protection. Prior to that I bought a 50" Samsung from BestBuy with the protection and have never had to use it.

Statistically you will not recoup the cost of the extended warranty. That being said, my costco one for my $899 tv was an extra $60 to take it to 5 years so i did it.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

thebushcommander posted:

HDMI over Cat6 is a beautiful thing. Buy this and run two Cat6 runs to any place you need an HDMI input.

FWIW we have one of these in our office: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00752R9W8 but got it on sale for $1,000. The back lighting is a bit uneven, but who cares? It's god damned beautiful. Like everyone else said, you're better using an actual computer for the browsing and video conferencing and just using the TV as a monitor.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

Erwin posted:

HDMI over Cat6 is a beautiful thing. Buy this and run two Cat6 runs to any place you need an HDMI input.

FWIW we have one of these in our office: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00752R9W8 but got it on sale for $1,000. The back lighting is a bit uneven, but who cares? It's god damned beautiful. Like everyone else said, you're better using an actual computer for the browsing and video conferencing and just using the TV as a monitor.

Yeah, so after I posted this I was told to look into Smart Boards for the conference room as well, so now I think I can kill two birds with one stone and get a SmartBoard 8055i and then run a dedicated windows box for surfing the web and conferencing as well as collaborative work and then switch to the HDMI input for DirecTV.

LaserWash
Jun 28, 2006
Okay,

Got to thinking about the strange crap that the LG 55LM4600 that I bought was doing and there was really too much to ignore (flashing on and off, turning off randomly, stuck pixels, etc.). The people at Best Buy gave me kind of a strange look when I told them I wanted to return it because it's an LG after all, and they are known for being good screens.

I got to looking at the floor and reassessing where we were and decided to take this home instead. Samsung UN55EH6000FXZA, 55", LED LCD, 120 Hz (with 240 Hz TruMotion) :crossarms: , no Smart, no 3D, but I don't need that. The woman working on the floor said they were selling like hot cakes since they were on super sale. They had stack of 30-40 of them just sitting in a corner ready for people to take home... that's how fast they were selling, in a small town Best Buy. Also the old 37" LCD we have was a Samsung, we've had ZERO problems with it, and so now it feels like we're at home again, with Samsung on the wall.

http://alturl.com/3pyuf

The pick seems to be good instinct as the reviews are good on Amazon, BB.com, and other review sites. My wife and I are hooking it up to the wall tonight, so I'll post impressions later.

LaserWash
Jun 28, 2006
Now I'm responding to myself.

The Samsung I posted about this morning says it needs M8 400x400 screws to use for a mount. The screws that I have from my monoprice mount don't work (too small). Anyone have any idea what I should be asking for when I go to Lowe's/Home Depot today and I ask for "M8 400x400 VESA" screws? Is there any secret handshaking that is required?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

LaserWash posted:

Now I'm responding to myself.

The Samsung I posted about this morning says it needs M8 400x400 screws to use for a mount. The screws that I have from my monoprice mount don't work (too small). Anyone have any idea what I should be asking for when I go to Lowe's/Home Depot today and I ask for "M8 400x400 VESA" screws? Is there any secret handshaking that is required?

You need m8 screws. It will be in the specialty bins probably. It should tell you what length you need in your manual.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
I pulled the trigger on the 60" Vizio. $840 after tax with amazon price match, 5% off coupon and 5% off for red card.

Picture looks pretty good... just crossing my fingers for no black screen of death. I made them look at all the serial numbers to get a newer one, hopefully that works out.

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

Costco has the 64" Samsung PN64E533D2 plasma for 1049. I am looking for a TV to fill an entertainment center that I got, and this looks like it may fit the bill. AVS forums says it uses the panel from the E500 series and not the lame E300 one, and it is just cut down feature wise to get the cost under control. Anybody have a E500 or this model and can speak to things like motion, PQ, input lag, and anything else?

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003

Turnquiet posted:

Costco has the 64" Samsung PN64E533D2 plasma for 1049.

That seems like a crazy good price. I guess it's an older model because it's not listed at a lot of places, but the cheapest prices I can find referenced is like $1250.

Seems like your basic Plasma, 2 hdmi, glossy screen.

Renzuko
Oct 10, 2012

Elysium posted:

That seems like a crazy good price. I guess it's an older model because it's not listed at a lot of places, but the cheapest prices I can find referenced is like $1250.

Seems like your basic Plasma, 2 hdmi, glossy screen.

not quite, I talked to a dude who works at costco one time, and apparently costco gets the same product, with a slightly different isbn thing, which explains why when I tried to find a laptop of theirs via my phone I just got costco results.

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Sir Unimaginative posted:

EDIT: THE RETURN OF THE KING: Unqualified success. Feel free to add the E420i-A1 to the "Goons bought this" list. (Also the E390-A1; performs basically the same.)

I bought the E390-A1 after reading this post, it is really nice after turning off the Ambient light detector thing. Decent speakers for what it is.

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

Renzuko posted:

not quite, I talked to a dude who works at costco one time, and apparently costco gets the same product, with a slightly different isbn thing, which explains why when I tried to find a laptop of theirs via my phone I just got costco results.

Yeah you wont find that very model elsewhere, but it is based on a standard retail variant. It was discounted 250 to 1050. Picked it up on the strength of the e500 panel, trip report pending.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Renzuko posted:

Yes, this is true. Frequently the models have slightly less features like hdmi ports, ect. to get the cost down a little bit and make cross shopping harder.

I really need to look into buying a 55" TV soon but are the smart tvs worth a drat? I have a PS3 and PS3media server setup but if a smart TV does a better job streaming media I'd love to hear more about it.

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
Would an extra ~$100 be worth it to get the direct lit 48" TCL vs the 46" edge-lit led one?

The only drawback I can see for the edge lit is text halo. Is this a big problem? because this is for a bedroom HTPC, so I might do light browsing. I don't know if 60vs240hz is worth $88.

I want to pull the trigger before I convince myself to wait till April.. I can't imagine it going much below $412 through.

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

That 64" Samsung Plasma is very nice. The standard color settings are too dim and way too red, but after some adjustment it is mighty fine. The bad news is that now I see the compression on my DVRed OTA HD broadcasts during motion scenes since the picture is so large. BluRays looks great, though. Bad news there is that I found out that many of my new BluRays don't have any DTS or Dolby tracks, and my receiver doesn't support DTS-MA or Dolby-HD. Ugh. I just dropped over 2.5 large remodeling the living room and classing it up with furniture and a bigger display, I don't want to have to buy a receiver too... but I will :(

firstworldproblems.txt

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

Turnquiet posted:

Bad news there is that I found out that many of my new BluRays don't have any DTS or Dolby tracks, and my receiver doesn't support DTS-MA or Dolby-HD. Ugh. I just dropped over 2.5 large remodeling the living room and classing it up with furniture and a bigger display, I don't want to have to buy a receiver too... but I will :(
Have you already tested it? Don't know your situation or how your reciever is setup, but for Dolby TrueHD at least most modern Bluray players will automatically convert the signal to 5.1 when going through optical, although you might have to change a setting on it, which is why they don't bother including the Dolby track seperately anymore. Not sure about DTS.

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

This is a good tip. It has been long time since I went through my menus to configure my BD player sound (at least 8 firmware revisions, by my count), so I will dig into an updated owner's manual for my Samsung BD-P1600.

Also, if you find yourself in 2008 and buying a BD player, don't buy a Samsung BD-P1600.

Edit: that did it! Thanks for the tip.

Turnquiet fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Feb 1, 2013

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
Frys has the Panasonic Viera 60U50 for $699 shipped. http://www.frys.com/product/7326984

That matches their best price ever.

Free shipping may turn to pick up only very soon. Pick up only now.

I was basically waiting for this to happen so I could grab one, but I got impatient and picked up the Vizio E601 locally instead. This is about $150 cheaper than what I paid, considering no tax for me from Frys. Oh well.

Elysium fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Feb 1, 2013

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Had no idea there were two threads, my bad, gonna copy paste my post from the other thread here.

Nonsense posted:

My parents have been looking for a television for a number of weeks now, and have decided this, 60" Sharp LED, is what they are looking for.

http://www.sears.com/sharp-60inch-aquos-174-led-smart-tv-lc60le640u/p-05771342000P?prdNo=1#ReviewsSection

They didn't really want a Plasma television, and plan to keep this set in the living room. It's well lit during the day as there are no curtains in use.

Reading some of the reviews on the website, I was bit weirded-out by the "It looks LIKE a 3D TV!", but I guess they're just pleased with how the picture looks?

Looking around the internet, most impressions are positive, but I wonder how the well-lit room will effect them? Does this look like a good LED purchase?

edit: Submitted, before I could finish like a dummy!

There is also a Vizio E-Series 60" for $899.99 at Best Buy that has similar specs as the Sharp: smart features and 120hz, 1080p. Both will be LED televisions, but there is that price difference.

AHugeDickhead
Dec 8, 2008
I just purchased the Samsung PN51E550 (http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-PN51E...rds=samsung+550) and the Panasonic DMP-BDT220 (http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-DMP-BDT220-Integrated-Blu-ray-Player/dp/B00752R4PK), both from Amazon.

I'm upgrading from a 2007 model 46" Vizio LCD that recently went bad. Can anyone attest to the quality of either of these? I did a bit of research before buying, but wanted to get some goon insight.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

Picked up the Samsung 55" that's going for $900. I found a couple sites and customer reviews with calibration settings, but noticed none of them included having LED motion plus turned on. When would I want to turn that on, for video games and sports or something?

Dead Pressed
Nov 11, 2009
Any thoughts on HD antennas? Just cancelled cable and want to get some local news! I've been looking at the Mohu Leaf, looks to be pretty well reviewed. http://www.amazon.com/Mohu-Leaf-Paper-Thin-Indoor-Antenna/dp/B004QK7HI8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1359856252&sr=8-1&keywords=leaf+antenna

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Dead Pressed posted:

Any thoughts on HD antennas? Just cancelled cable and want to get some local news! I've been looking at the Mohu Leaf, looks to be pretty well reviewed. http://www.amazon.com/Mohu-Leaf-Paper-Thin-Indoor-Antenna/dp/B004QK7HI8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1359856252&sr=8-1&keywords=leaf+antenna

I'd start cheap. I've had great reception with a pair of $10 bunny ears and a lower-end flat antenna.

potentiometer
Dec 31, 2006

Dead Pressed posted:

I just picked up this one,

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008WVM6FG/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i00

I saw a review somewhere and it came out on top of the Mohu antenna by a small margin, honestly I can't say if it works better or not but for my location it works great. Also I really like that it's clear as I have it hanging in front of a window with white blinds and you can't really even see it. I'd recommend it.

LaserWash
Jun 28, 2006

Kingtheninja posted:

Picked up the Samsung 55" that's going for $900. I found a couple sites and customer reviews with calibration settings, but noticed none of them included having LED motion plus turned on. When would I want to turn that on, for video games and sports or something?

I bought the same TV after I returned my LG 55LM4600 that had crappy backlighting, stuck pixels, and randomly turned off. I haven't even seen a setting that turns this on or off. I have no idea if a "switch" for such a thing even exists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

It's in Picture sub menu, I think either Advanced options or the other one. I had it on during the super bowl but I haven't really noticed a need for it while playing video games or anything like that.