Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

My wife and I didn't have too much trouble hanging up the 83" LG C2. The way the boxes open now makes it a lot easier, and it was relatively painless to hook the TV side onto the wall mount. Still the heaviest flat screen I've had to move around though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
I'm getting into all this broke brained circuit bent composite video stuff, CRTs, etc. For instance today I am super excited that a 20 year old combo 1-to-12 component multiplexer with built in up/downscaling AND an ATSC tuner is supposed to be delivered to me today.

this feels like the wrong thread for poo poo like this but I thought someone here might be able to point me to any sort of "retro displays and display tech" superthread that might exist elsewhere, surely there's a 300 page thing of goons comparing Trinitron models somewhere. I realize most people get into that stuff for gaming and my purposes are different, trying to cast a wide net here.

here's my newest pickup it's a sweet little Scott NTSC 13" set from the mid 90s, works perfectly and does not emit a whine I can hear which is great.

A Proper Uppercut posted:

My wife and I didn't have too much trouble hanging up the 83" LG C2. The way the boxes open now makes it a lot easier, and it was relatively painless to hook the TV side onto the wall mount. Still the heaviest flat screen I've had to move around though.

While I'm here, I'm trying to decide between a giant 4k and a 4k projector as a next upgrade. We've been using a Benq 1080p projector that's bright enough to use in daylight with no curtains since 2017, and while I think there's some real advantages to a screen, I've also gotten used to what feels like less eye strain from an inherantly passive display, and while 83" and 100" are big it would still feel like a large step down from 120".

I wish I could easily trial a bunch of huge TVs in here, upgrading AV stuff always requires a lot more thought and pain then I exert whenever we have to get another stupid car. (This is logical; I hate driving and being in cars, I spend as little time doing so as possible, so just get Default Safest Known Thing In Budget. I enjoy looking at screens and spend a lot of time doing so, so making decisions is like pulling my own teeth).

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Most of us got out of CRTs because a 32" trinitron wega is 230 pounds, not including the optional proprietary corner stand.

halokiller posted:

luckily I have a giant couch to use as support and the mount Im using could be set up sideways and even then it was a challenge; I wouldnt even attempt setting up a 77" by myself

that dolly is also like a thousand usd

The rule of thumb is your dolly should be about 10% the cost of your TV :pseudo:

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Mar 7, 2024

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Dang double post

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Cabbages and Kings posted:

this feels like the wrong thread for poo poo like this but I thought someone here might be able to point me to any sort of "retro displays and display tech" superthread that might exist elsewhere, surely there's a 300 page thing of goons comparing Trinitron models somewhere. I realize most people get into that stuff for gaming and my purposes are different, trying to cast a wide net here.

I want to plug in all the cables and turn all the knobs!

this thread is probably the best fit for everything going on in that pic: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3756559

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

https://apple.news/AbGyLM-QuQ2a-n2UWY8vknQ
(BGR)

quote:

Roku will disable your TVs and devices until you agree to its new terms

Anyone who really wants to opt out has 30 days to do so, but it will require quite a bit of effort. If you want to opt out of these terms, you’ll have to send written notice of your decision by mail to Roku’s offices in San Jose, California, within 30 days of agreeing.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I feel like soon someone may attempt to sell a non-shittified tv but it will be so expensive nobody will buy it.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

qirex posted:

I feel like soon someone may attempt to sell a non-shittified tv but it will be so expensive nobody will buy it.

Basically you’re looking at a big rear end computer monitor.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

this feels like the wrong thread for poo poo like this but I thought someone here might be able to point me to any sort of "retro displays and display tech" superthread that might exist elsewhere, surely there's a 300 page thing of goons comparing Trinitron models somewhere.

Check out the "obsolete and failed technology" thread in PYF as well, it's a good one.

chibi luda
Apr 17, 2013

So how much weight do you folks reckon your average drywall can take.

I know plenty of people mount the LG C3 65 with no problem but I guess I’m just not used to such a hefty device. (Been on a long string of secondhand 1080p tvs of varying sizes but saved up and pulled the trigger)

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

I'm getting into all this broke brained circuit bent composite video stuff, CRTs, etc. For instance today I am super excited that a 20 year old combo 1-to-12 component multiplexer with built in up/downscaling AND an ATSC tuner is supposed to be delivered to me today.

here's my newest pickup it's a sweet little Scott NTSC 13" set from the mid 90s, works perfectly and does not emit a whine I can hear which is great.

While I'm here, I'm trying to decide between a giant 4k and a 4k projector as a next upgrade. We've been using a Benq 1080p projector that's bright enough to use in daylight with no curtains since 2017, and while I think there's some real advantages to a screen, I've also gotten used to what feels like less eye strain from an inherantly passive display, and while 83" and 100" are big it would still feel like a large step down from 120".

I wish I could easily trial a bunch of huge TVs in here, upgrading AV stuff always requires a lot more thought and pain then I exert whenever we have to get another stupid car. (This is logical; I hate driving and being in cars, I spend as little time doing so as possible, so just get Default Safest Known Thing In Budget. I enjoy looking at screens and spend a lot of time doing so, so making decisions is like pulling my own teeth).

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4051802

This thread also has some chatter about retro TV stuff, mostly related to building an analog cable headend.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

chibi luda posted:

I don't trust my ability to use a stud finder properly

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I just hung my 77" TV. While I did use a stud finder, I also didn't trust my ability so I used finishing nails to confirm.

I used 4 bolts in two studs. Then I got some of the biggest hollow wall fashioners that I could find, where the box says holds up to 400lbs and used two of those as well.

Good to go.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

chibi luda posted:

I know plenty of people mount the LG C3 65 with no problem but I guess I’m just not used to such a hefty device. (Been on a long string of secondhand 1080p tvs of varying sizes but saved up and pulled the trigger)

No idea and I don't understand how they're so strong (drywall screws are tiny!), it's more than you think though. These are rated at 40kg each (!!??) so presumably it's at least that

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

If you have a Costco near you get their stud finder - it's the best ive ever used and works 100% of the time.

If you really wanna go down a rabbit hole start here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHb-Tcvkn7M

I watched that and it's pretty informative.

These are my goto's:
3m Claw

WallClaw Anchors

Never had a single issue.

Vintersorg fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Mar 8, 2024

RoboBoogie
Sep 18, 2008
are there any over mantle fireplace mounts that are good value for a 48 inch LG A2

https://www.amazon.com/MantelMount-MM340-Above-Fireplace-Mount/dp/B01MS1MHET/

Im looking to put my tv over the dresser. the dresser tabletop is perfect height for when we are sitting up in bed to watch tv, but i want to still be able to use the space on the table top.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The best stud finder I've ever used is a neodymium magnet. I have thick plaster walls and normal stud finders are hit and miss, but that thing will stick to the wall over the nails used to secure the lathe to the stud through like 2 inches of plaster.

chibi luda
Apr 17, 2013

Very informative posts, Ty

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Is LG C2 the correct answer to "I have $2500 and want to buy a 80-85" tv?

distortion park posted:

No idea and I don't understand how they're so strong (drywall screws are tiny!), it's more than you think though. These are rated at 40kg each (!!??) so presumably it's at least that

This is the correct drywall anchor

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

:murder:
What is the safe way to clean my C3's screen? I have a few small spots that are of immediate concern and would it safe to use some lens wipes made for cleaning camera lenses?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Hadlock posted:

This is the correct drywall anchor

C3 is and it’s about to get replaced by the C4 in a few weeks. I’d wait until that was out and get a discounted C4 in a month or so.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Is Costco going to get the C4? Presumably the C4 is going to be 1 more better than the C3

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Hadlock posted:

Is Costco going to get the C4? Presumably the C4 is going to be 1 more better than the C3

Definitely. The main upgrade on it will be 144hz support for 1080p.

It likely won’t be worth the massive difference in price from discounted C3s unless you really need that.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Ah so it's freesync certified, neat

That's probably worth the upgrade for console use over the next decade

https://www.reddit.com/r/OLED_Gaming/comments/1821gne/lgs_2024_oled_tvs_b4_c4_g4_are_already_freesync/

Will have to look at how much the C3 might get discounted

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Mar 10, 2024

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

OLED S90C - the wireless monitor feature freezes/stops working every ~50 minutes or so. Sometimes freezes in ~20 minutes sometimes doesn’t freeze until ~90 minutes.

I’m wirelessly connecting my laptop to the tv to play pc video games on da big screen.

Any thoughts? Has this happened to any other goons?

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Flowing Thot posted:

What is the safe way to clean my C3's screen? I have a few small spots that are of immediate concern and would it safe to use some lens wipes made for cleaning camera lenses?

Microfiber and distilled water, or https://screencleanmom.com/

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

:murder:

kri kri posted:

Microfiber and distilled water, or https://screencleanmom.com/

Thanks.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Ornery and Hornery posted:

OLED S90C - the wireless monitor feature freezes/stops working every ~50 minutes or so. Sometimes freezes in ~20 minutes sometimes doesn’t freeze until ~90 minutes.

I’m wirelessly connecting my laptop to the tv to play pc video games on da big screen.

Any thoughts? Has this happened to any other goons?

Do you live in an area witha lot of wifi signals from other people? does the wireless signal go through your router, or from your laptop to tv directly? How hot does back of the the tv and/or laptop get when using this feature?

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Hadlock posted:

That's what I did, a best buy outlet near me had an 83" C2 for stupid cheap.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Mister Facetious posted:

Do you live in an area witha lot of wifi signals from other people? does the wireless signal go through your router, or from your laptop to tv directly? How hot does back of the the tv and/or laptop get when using this feature?

1. Yes. I live in an apartment complex with many Wi-Fi’s.
2. I don’t understand this question.
3. The laptop for quite gosh darn hot! I noticed that! The fan was working overtime like the laptop was getting ready for takeoff. That’s when I turned it off. I was surprised because it’s a decently powerful gaming laptop.

Thank you for your support :)

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

2.) To clarify, I'm asking how you're actually sending a wireless video signal from your computer to your TV. Is it done through your home network using wifi? Or does your laptop have some wizbang feature where you don't even need a home network to send a video signal?

If I had to guess though, i think it might be either something on your laptop or the tv that's overheating, since if it goes out at predictable intervals, it's (probably) not interference from all the competing wireless signals in your building.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Mar 10, 2024

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Mister Facetious posted:

2.) To clarify, I'm asking how you're actually sending a wireless video signal from your computer to your TV. Is it done through your home network using wifi? Or does your laptop have some wizbang feature where you don't even need a home network to send a video signal?

If I had to guess though, i think it might be either something on your laptop or the tv that's overheating, since if it goes out at predictable intervals, it's (probably) not interference from all the competing wireless signals in your building.

Upon review - I think it is simple but still through WiFi

https://www.samsung.com/latin_en/support/tv-audio-video/how-to-use-the-remote-access-on-your-samsung-smart-tv/

Would this cause my laptop to heat more than normal?

I have played graphic intense games on laptop before without over heating…

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Running a game and having to encode video at the same time is a lot to ask.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

qirex posted:

Running a game and having to encode video at the same time is a lot to ask.

There was an app type thing from Samsung that I installed and it’s better for wirelessly using the tv as a second monitor. That helped a bit but there was some occasional pixelation on the tv.

I eventually just started using the laptop alone. Gave up on using the tv. And despite that, laptop still really put those fans into high gear and the temperature still was in the high 70s.

I’m not sure what was up because this gaming laptop is only two years old. Maybe baldur gate three is just really resource intense. It’s odd because the game sets itself to ultra when I use the “determine preferred graphics settings”.

Not really a TV question anymore, but thank you all for your support!

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
I think my tv is possessed?
When it turns on, it automatically turns back off and then in again. It's stuck in this weird turning on/off loop. The weird thing is, this even happens when I unplug the power supply. It'll happily turn itself on and off again 4-5 times...
Any idea how that is possible? And how to fix it? My first thought that it was any of the connected devices that gave it a signal to turn on (ps5, tv box etc) but the problem persists even if I unplug all other devices.

EDIT: unplugging the soundbar fixed it? At least temporarily.

shut up blegum fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Mar 11, 2024

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

shut up blegum posted:

When it turns on, it automatically turns back off and then in again. It's stuck in this weird turning on/off loop. The weird thing is, this even happens when I unplug the power supply. It'll happily turn itself on and off again 4-5 times...
Any idea how that is possible? And how to fix it? My first thought that it was any of the connected devices that gave it a signal to turn on (ps5, tv box etc) but the problem persists even if I unplug all other devices.

Try doing a full factory reset.

Edit: it’s maybe CEC shenanigans with your soundbar. Try turning that feature off.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

shut up blegum posted:

EDIT: unplugging the soundbar fixed it? At least temporarily.

Not a TV, but a printer I was working on once had that same weird behavior. There was a weird buzz in the PSU when opened up and plugged in. It's likely a bad capacitor. It was under warranty, so I just had it replaced.

I don't know how old your TV is, but hopefully this video explains it better than I can:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqjaHI4P35A

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
We had a hankering to watch the Guy Ritchie movie Snatch tonight, so my girlfriend got our LG C3 TV to search for Snatch. By using a voice search and just saying the word 'snatch'. The TV then responded in its hilarious robot voice "you must be fond of snatch. Here are some results containing snatch".

10/10.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

The Gentlemen was called Bush for much of its production, that would have made the search results even funnier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
What's the go-to for HDMI cables these days?

I'm redoing my setup and I need a single long (15') cable going from an HDFury box to my TV, and I'd like to get something as future-proof (lol) as possible since it's going to be going through conduit. Since I only need one cable right now I don't mind spending a little more if it makes a difference.

The HDFury can support up to 8K60 and 96Gbps, but right now I'm only using it with consoles and a gaming PC. My TV is an older LG OLED that I'll probably replace in the next year.

Previously I just went with whatever was the highest-spec monoprice, but I've had a handful of bad cables from them in the last year or two, and on top of that the thickness and braiding of their HDMI cables made them a nightmare to deal with for cable management.