Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

I'm in the market for a real budget projector. It's not going to be used daily at all. I'll use it to put some movies on in the backyard this halloween for instance. I might occasionally use it indoors, but I doubt I'll turn it on much more often than once a month, if that. Portability as a feature isn't important to me, since it's not like I'm taking this camping or dragging it around an office all day.

I've narrowed it down to a few options:

Vankyo Leisure 3 for $70 https://www.amazon.com/LEISURE-Proj...213e2c27ceb5813

Bomaker GC555 for $110 https://www.amazon.com/BOMAKER-Projector-Carrying-Supported-Compatible/dp/B07MZL7H4X/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=dlp+projector&qid=1570198049&sr=8-3

APEMAN LC550 for $120 https://www.amazon.com/Projector-APEMAN-Supported-Portable-Speakers/dp/B07RFS71XQ/ref=sr_1_10?keywords=dlp+projector&qid=1570198049&sr=8-10

VANKYO Leisure 510 for $170 https://www.amazon.com/VANKYO-Leisu...tag=rsonsite-20

The Leisure 3 at $70 is dirt cheap but I don't mind tossing a few more dollars at it for something a bit better. On the other end of the spectrum the Leisure 510 certainly looks solid for the price point, but $170 is $50 more than I was hoping to spend. Both the GC555 and LC550 are right in the sweet spot for me, and I don't really have a way to choose between them.

What do you guys think is the best choice here? Will I never be able to tell the difference between the Leisure 3 and GC555 and LC550, so I should save myself the $40? Is the Leisure 510 at $170 so much better than the other options that the extra $50 is worth it? Is the GC555 or the LC550 superior to the other for any clear reason?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Taima posted:

Oof man. Well my main advice would be EXTREMELY careful regarding the accuracy of the information being provided, as well as fake reviews, at that price point.

I don't have time to look through each option you listed but I can tell you right now that both of those Vankyo options are deceptive.

The $70 one is 800x480 resolution, and even the $170 one is 1280x768. It says that lower on the page but they shout about it being 1080p through the entire top of the listing. Super shady.

Best of luck.

Oh yeah, when they say 1080p I know that's total horseshit. It's because they "support 1080p," which means they don't actually display at that res. I think everything but the $70 one are supposedly native to 720p (1280x768) and they're scaling 1080 stuff. That's not necessarily a dealbreaker, but I agree that the advertising is highly suspect, and I've mostly been ignoring it.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

I haven't bought a TV in...a very long time. I think I paid $800 for a 42" LED screen, and it was a great deal at the time.

What are the key details/features these days? I see OLED, Mini-LED, QLED, etc etc. I've read a few things about it, but I'd like some value judgment on the topic.

I'm not an avid screen enthusiast with a home theater room; this is going up in the family room. Plenty of Bluey, occasionally a video game. The two most important considerations I would have is that it would need to do well in a room with a lot of ambient light, and function well as a display that spends 99% of its time running off a PC. (I run our TV today as a monitor for a PC and access all the streaming services from a web browser, as well as all the media I have saved.)