Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Had no idea there were two threads, my bad, gonna copy paste my post from the other thread here.

Nonsense posted:

My parents have been looking for a television for a number of weeks now, and have decided this, 60" Sharp LED, is what they are looking for.

http://www.sears.com/sharp-60inch-aquos-174-led-smart-tv-lc60le640u/p-05771342000P?prdNo=1#ReviewsSection

They didn't really want a Plasma television, and plan to keep this set in the living room. It's well lit during the day as there are no curtains in use.

Reading some of the reviews on the website, I was bit weirded-out by the "It looks LIKE a 3D TV!", but I guess they're just pleased with how the picture looks?

Looking around the internet, most impressions are positive, but I wonder how the well-lit room will effect them? Does this look like a good LED purchase?

edit: Submitted, before I could finish like a dummy!

There is also a Vizio E-Series 60" for $899.99 at Best Buy that has similar specs as the Sharp: smart features and 120hz, 1080p. Both will be LED televisions, but there is that price difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Lovie Unsmith posted:

I know it's a refurb, but that aside is this a good deal and/or a good model?

http://www.groupon.com/deals/gg-sharp-60-inch-led-tv-refurb

My parents purchased the model that has smart features, and after some fidgeting with it, as I hadn't used a HD much, I forgot to change the inputs for several minutes as I couldn't figure out the problem with the picture blur! me dumb..

Great picture overall, and if the set you are looking at has a USB that happens to work pretty pain free. You have a good price in my opinion.

Nonsense fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Feb 11, 2013

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Phone posted:

I'm finding 60" and 65" Sharp TVs for around $1k, does anyone have feedback on Sharp sets?

My parents have owned the Sharp 60" non-3D for about a year now. It's $999 at best buy at the moment. It's a great set, plenty of inputs, and the picture and colors look really good. Overall great TV. Couldn't tell you how it's like mounted as they kept it on its stand.

Speaking of Sharp, they brought out newer budget models. I really want their 39" set, it weighs practically nothing compared to other sets around that size and budget. I'm one to move around the set a lot, so it being so light kinda drew my attention to it.

Nonsense fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Jun 5, 2014

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

8-bit Miniboss posted:

I'm really close to pulling the trigger on a Sony KDL-50W800B. Anyone in here pick up any 2014 Sony model? Could you chime in with your thoughts?

I know this concerns the 48" model, but this video had an interesting run down of the television, and the model you are interested in is the premium version of this set. Although the one you like has a likely much better "on" light, and the stand looks a bit more stylish.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fp9KBZ_UtYY

I watched this review as I'm eyeing the 40" model, and want it for its gaming-aid specs over alternative LED televisions.

Nonsense fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Jul 3, 2014

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Tiggs posted:

It does bother me when Vizio's website says the model is "Full Array LED". I didn't actually know the difference before I bought the thing :\

http://store.vizio.com/mseries/m422ib1.html

I guess I can return it for something else.

I heard Scott Wilkinson discuss Vizio's Full Array LED and that the less premium televisions they sell with "Full Array" has a negligible effect, looking into further I think Amazon tells you how the feature is implemented into each size set.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

bull3964 posted:

I'm just going to mention this again.

http://color.spectracal.com/store/calman-software/tutorial-c3.html

$150, but your TV will be as perfect as it can possibly be. White balance correction makes all the difference in the world and you simply cannot do that without a meter.

Hate to divert the thread a bit, but somebody earlier had purchased that Sony KDL 55-60" LED set, and I was wondering if they used a settings guide similar to the Cnet Vizio one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

So when I was poking around for a budget flat-screen I came on last year's Sony KDL48W600B. Seems to do well in general-purpose reviews; does anyone here have an opinion on it?

I purchased the 40" model from an Amazon flash sale after Thanksgiving, and have had a good experience with it. The interface ui stuff from the remote took a bit of fiddling to realize the settings were found under Apps/Sen, but it has a little optimization thing it does to turn on quickly after your initial setup. The software update the tv prompts you to do before you can use apps thankfully doesn't take too long. I am currently using an indoor antenna to pickup local stations and scanning for channels can take a bit of time, however.

The screen looks great in my opinion. This is my first personal hdtv, but I can't really complain considering the price I snagged it at (~$360). I've noticed no input lag playing on a Wii U, I imagine movies from a proper bluray player would play well.

I looked up color/picture settings online, but I couldn't find any actual guides for the set itself, just random YouTube clips, sorry I can't help you with anything definitive there.

I'd say the 48" is probably a winner for you if you have been eyeing a Sony. I've been following that set since it came out.

Nonsense fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Jan 4, 2016