Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Animale
Sep 30, 2009
And they're even more expensive than the LG stuff.

http://www.whathifi.com/panasonic/tx-65cz952b/review

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Animale
Sep 30, 2009
Are there any good 40" 4K+HDR screens? The current best one seems to be the Sony XBR-43X800D but that's only 60Hz. Does that really matter anymore? I kind of want to get the Samsung Serif but I know it doesn't have a great display, also it's $1400 for 40" but it would go so well with my place. Why won't LG make 40" OLED displays!?!

Animale
Sep 30, 2009

Twerk from Home posted:

40" is way too small for 4K to have any benefit at all, unless you're sitting at monitor-style distances. Most of the TV manufacturers have stopped putting any effort into 40" displays, and will just use it as a dumping ground for years old tech built at the lowest prices possible.

You gotta look at bigger screens to get better TV displays.

That sucks since anything bigger would completely overtake my space. The joys of living in a tiny apartment in the city. I'm currently sitting around 6' from the tv which is a 32".

Animale
Sep 30, 2009

sellouts posted:

I don't get it. Right in the middle for a 55".

I live in 450 Sq ft, that's my whole apartment. 55" is far too big for the space which is at a premium.

Animale
Sep 30, 2009

the Gaffe posted:

So my usual way of buying things is just to pick something in my price range on Amazon's top seller list.

Thoughts on this? Samsung UN40KU6300 40-Inch 4K Ultra HD Smart LED TV (2016 Model)

I dont currently own a TV, and I'd just be connecting this to my PC for movies/gaming. I live in a small studio with no couch, so I figured I'd just place this in front of my bed. So 40 inches seems like it would be adequate enough.

Should I wait for actual Black Friday to see more options?

Best Buy already has their Black Friday prices out so retailers are matching them, so go for it.

Animale
Sep 30, 2009
Plus the Sony OLEDs are going to be in their premium tier so they can do cool stuff like have no bezel and build the speakers into the screen so they'll be priced accordingly.

Animale
Sep 30, 2009
Not gonna lie, the Sony OLED is pretty drat sexy. The new Samsung "Lifestyle TV" Frame looks pretty cool too since it would go really well with all the art on my wall, sadly it's probably going to end up being a substandard screen like the Serif had. https://www.fastcodesign.com/3068932/wanted/samsungs-new-tv-by-yves-behar-is-a-framed-piece-of-art-literally

Animale
Sep 30, 2009

my morning jackass posted:

the x900e seems to be great but for nearly 1600 cdn it's pushing the budget for a 49"

I'm looking at the same size and model and it's already down to $1100 USD, Canada gets super screwed, yeesh.

Animale
Sep 30, 2009

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

My daughter broke my father in law's TV and I want to buy them a new one, but they have this preposterous entertainment center which maximally accommodates, like, a 45 inch TV. They don't sell OLEDs that small, what should I spring for?

There's some Sony 43" models.

Animale
Sep 30, 2009

BIG HEADLINE posted:

For those who can access it, AAFES is discounting TVs again. The 55" 930E has a particularly insane price at the moment.

Yeah, that's a bit insane might go ahead and get it.

Also, if you're a vet you can just go and register now by putting in some info rather than having to send a DD214 (which is what was keeping me from signing up).

Animale
Sep 30, 2009

Doom Rooster posted:

So my bedroom TV finally died. It was a 1080p Samsung from like 8 years ago that has been great.

I was excited to finally upgrade to 4K and OLED, but the space the TV fits into can handle 48" MAX. Amazon doesn't appear to even have an OLED 4K TV smaller than 55" so that's out, apparently.

I'm willing to spend up to $1,200, which I figure should get me something pretty good for the size. It will be hooked up to a PC (GTX 1080 card) and be used for 90% TV/Movies, and 10% gaming (Civ-like games mostly). It will be hooking into a soundbar and sub receiver that can take HDMI or optical.

Any advice?

Can the following dimensions fit in your space, 43.1" x 27" x 9.4"? Because if they can then you can get a Sony 49x900e. Hell, the 55" is 48.4" wide.

Animale
Sep 30, 2009

bull3964 posted:

A few pages ago I guessed $6500 for the new 85" 900f. I was pretty close, just undercut it a bit. Though, I would guess $6500 as a street price without too much delay.

Sony XBR-49X900F 49" class (48.5" diag) 4K HDR Ultra HD TV -  $1,099.99 MSRP
Sony XBR-55X900F 55" class (54.6" diag) 4K HDR Ultra HD TV -  $1,499.99 MSRP
Sony XBR-65X900F 65" class (64.5" diag) 4K HDR Ultra HD TV -  $2,299.99 MSRP
Sony XBR-75X900F 75" class (74.5" diag) 4K HDR Ultra HD TV -  $3,999.99 MSRP
Sony XBR-85X900F 65" class (84.6" diag) 4K HDR Ultra HD TV -  $6,999.99 MSRP

And now I feel a lot better about buying my 55x930E at the price I did.

Animale
Sep 30, 2009

ufarn posted:

I bought an HDMI splitter that ended up having a manual saying it only has HDMI 1.4b. Seller says it's HDMI 2.0a. How on earth am I supposed to test or verify this?

Can I hook it up to a PS4 and see whether it supports the HDCP, or is that even a proper test?

It looks like HDR is going to be easiest thing to test on it. I know Netflix lets me know when I'm using Dolby Vision.
Edit: Here's the documentation from Sony.
https://www.playstation.com/en-gb/get-help/help-library/system---hardware/sound---screen/ps4--how-to-get-hdr/

Animale fucked around with this message at 21:55 on May 17, 2018

Animale
Sep 30, 2009

FBS posted:

As it happens, I brought the X930E home on Monday. Best Buy didn't have one on display and the sales kid thought it was discontinued and was shocked to find one in the back. He spoke quote highly of it while ringing me up, even compared to the X900F.

I'm very happy with it so far, it looks fantastic, though I'm still figuring out the inputs and picture settings and how to get UHD content.

I went in as a smart-TV agnostic but Android TV was kind of a hilarious disappointment. Slow and unintuitive and it doesn't have a native NHL app which is the first thing I searched for. I didn't know what to expect, but I thought it would be much slicker than this.

e: it's also really god damned heavy, I'm glad I didn't decide to wall mount this thing

I love my 930E, but I've had some issues with the hardware. The logic board failed and they sent me an extra power supply which did nothing, I had to eventually get home service from Sony to get it replaced. A few months later my tv didn't turn on again and but luckily the extra power supply worked. If anything else happens I hope it's before January when my Sony warranty runs out.

https://www.tomsguide.com/us/sony-tv-settings-guide,review-5605-11.html
Mess around with a few of those settings so the AndroidTV isn't as bloated. And if you happen to use VUDU (you should totally get a Movies Anywhere account) the built in app doesn't support 4K or Dolby Vision so download the one from the Google Store which does (and now you'll have two versions of VUDU since you can't uninstall the one that comes with the system).

Animale
Sep 30, 2009

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Best 55 inch 4K HDR non-OLED for gaming in the UK?

Probably the Samsung QE55Q8DN since it will have less lag than Sony but it's a QLED display so it will command a premium price.

Animale
Sep 30, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSpxxuR8H7U
It seems like the Hisense H9G is the winner over the TCL 6 series on the good budget tv showdown this year.

Animale
Sep 30, 2009
Wow, the military exchange webstore had 65in 950Gs for $800 and 65in A9Gs for $1800. Had I caught either of them before they sold out I would have been all over them even though my current tv is only 3 years old.

Animale
Sep 30, 2009
I ended up having to use my Sony warranty in the first year for my x930e, first the tv wouldn't turn on so I got a replacement power brick and then it kept happening with the new power brick until my tv just wouldn't turn on, I had to have the board replaced.

My issue is that that replacement bpard messed with my default settings so the Cinema Pro or Expert settings were way too brown and would have benefited from calibration, but it really didn't make sense to spend an extra $500 which was half what I paid for the tv at the time.

Anyway, warranties aren't that bad, you never know when you'll use them.

Animale fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Jun 3, 2021

Animale
Sep 30, 2009

NW Knapstars posted:

I would like to stay below $1000 if possible. I would just use my headphones but my partner likes to watch and I don't want to deny them important audio moments.

The new Samsung flagship, Q950A just came out so you should be able to find their previous flagship, Q950T for around $1000 or so.
https://youtu.be/jizMDqt59C0

Animale
Sep 30, 2009

qirex posted:

Random question: the built-in Chromecast stopped working on my Sony X900F, I don't think there was a software update since the last time but I am on the 9.0 release. Has anyone else experienced this?
I have an x930e but the few times my Chromecast hasn't worked I just restarted and it worked perfectly. I'm sure you've restarted but have you tried resetting to factory settings (make sure to take pictures of your settings first)?

Animale
Sep 30, 2009

effika posted:

I want a small TV to watch OTA and free Roku stuff in my sewing room- max 32" and honestly since it's background stuff about 24“ would be fine and better fit the space.

Stand-alone TV plus a Roku stick, or a Roku TV from TCL?

I was thinking the stick plus whatever TV was more flexible and future-proof, but there are some cheap Roku tvs... Any opinions?

We just bought a 32" TCL since the lady friend wanted a tv we could easily carry outside to watch Ted Lasso as we ate dinner (my Sony from 2017 doesn't do Apple and the side loaded app version is super buggy). There's a 720P version and a 1080P version, the lady friend asked me about this and we got the 1080p version from a semi-local Best Buy we visited after a hike, as to make the transaction not feel as dirty.

Animale
Sep 30, 2009

Space Racist posted:

It’s that time of year again, when LG OLEDs go on sale and I tempt myself with questionable financial decisions.

One thing that consistently pulls me back from the ‘Buy’ button is that I have a pretty decent TV as is - 55” 2017 TCL P605, which has really been a bang-for-the-buck champion during the 4 years I’ve had it.

I’d like to move up to a 65” LG C1, but I can’t help but feel like that’s a lot of money to spend on a relatively marginal upgrade over what I’ve already got.

What do you all think? Worthwhile upgrade, or better to hold out another year or two*?

*This is almost certainly what I’ll actually be doing, but I’m curious to get some outside opinions.

I have a Sony 930e which is from the same year and much better than your current tv. Basically if you're going to notice the change in size from your current sitting spot and if you're going to do gaming using one of the newer consoles you should totally upgrade, if not, don't worry about it.

Animale
Sep 30, 2009
The A1 is a 60Hz panel instead of a 120Hz one, correct?

Animale
Sep 30, 2009

Another Dirty Dish posted:

Anyways, I’m in Canada :canada:, trying to spend $1000 or less on a 65” 4K. I don’t think I need (read: can afford) OLED, and I don’t watch sports or own a PS5, so 60Hz is probably fine. Honestly 4K seems extravagant at this point, but I’m sure we’ll pick up a 4K AppleTV or something soon. Unfortunately the TV is staying above the fireplace, which is at the correct height if you’re standing up, and we don’t have room up there for a 70”+.

Qs:
1. At what point should I upgrade the wall mount? It seems to hold up our 50” Toshiba ok (from Target Canada’s closing sale lol), but the mount came with the house and I’m not sure what the specs are on it.
2. I’m thinking something like this HiSense or this Sony - any opinions? Or recommendations, if you’re also in the Canadian-fake-Black-Friday-sale boat
If the wall mount fits the new tv it would probably be able to handle a new bigger tv since they're so much lighter than previous generation tvs.

Either of those tvs should be fine for what you want. If you wanted to upgrade to a better tv, then I'd go for a Hisense 88g or a TCL 6 series.

Animale
Sep 30, 2009

Dr Strangepants posted:

Hello TV thread!

I have never purchased a TV in my entire life, just having hand-me-downs and whatnot. I plan to budget roughly in the ~$1.2k range but also don't use a TV for more than occasional Netflix and Nintendo Switch anyway. My viewing distance is ~9' and my space would fit a 65" comfortably. Would this be a good option for me: VIZIO - 65" Class P-Series Premium Quantum LED 4K UHD Smart TV (Model:P65Q9-J01)? It is $1k right now from Best Buy. I respect the LG models that the thread likes but I think it would be overkill for me. If people see any other killer Holiday deals, please post.

If you want to get best tv for the money, the 65" Sony X90J is on sale for $1200 right now. If you want the best budget tv then go for the Hisense U8G since it's on sale for $1000. Remember to get the most out of your new tv, you might want to go up to the 4k plan on Netflix.

Animale
Sep 30, 2009

arsegrit posted:

My TV died, replaced it with a 4k one. Everything's wired up though an AVR that doesn't support 4k. Because the TV is 4k, every device plugged into the AVR is told that it can support 4k (via EDID I assume), which is not true and just results in a black screen unless I force the resolution lower. Which can be challenging when I can't actually see anything.

How many 4k devices are you plugging in to your receiver? At this point the easiest thing would probably be to plug the 4k items to the tv and route the audio to the receiver. For any non-4k devices, make sure the video is just passthrough so the receiver isn't trying to upconvert something it can't obviously do, and you can have the tv do any upconversion since TV's are much better at that than receivers in the first place.

Animale
Sep 30, 2009
Basically get the A80J if you love film or the C1 if you want all the gaming bells and whistles. I think Best Buy had them at the same price point on Black Friday.

Animale fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Dec 9, 2021

Animale
Sep 30, 2009

Mister Facetious posted:

They've changed it so now there's HDMI 2.1 (which is the same as HDMI 2.0), and now there's "HDMI 2.1 with 48gbps", or "HDMI 2.1 with VRR and ALLM", or "HDMI 2.1 with *insert a la carte feature combo here*". :shepface:

Eh, base HDMI 2.1 is 32 or 40 gbps which still transmits more data than the 18 gbps 2.0 maxes out at so you get that increased chroma subsampling which I guess does something?

Animale
Sep 30, 2009
lol goons gooning it up at cell phone pictures.

Animale
Sep 30, 2009
drat, the 65" G1 is on sale for $2300, that's very tempting considering the comparable Sony A90J is still $3k.

Animale
Sep 30, 2009
Looks like the 65in A95K is going to be launching around $4k according to Digital Trends. I'm looking forward to getting one around Thanksgiving when it's hopefully down to under $3k.

Animale
Sep 30, 2009

Incessant Excess posted:

Samsung QD OLED:

55" 2399 usd
65" 3499 usd

Updated prices are:
55" $2,199.99
65" $2,999.99

I was going to wait for the Sony A95K 65" to come down to $3k so this is very tempting... I guess I'll just be paying attention to the reviews to see what I want to upgrade to.

Animale
Sep 30, 2009

otter posted:

Maybe tonight I will hook up the xbox series X to that tv and find a legit 4k video for her to watch.
Any suggestions? Should show text at 4k for best effect.

Open up YouTube and queue up any of the various Best 4k Dolby Vision Test videos, which of course, the YT app doesn't support.

Animale
Sep 30, 2009
If you're getting a 32" tv, you won't notice the 4k resolution unless you're a foot away from it. Just get the 1080p TCL and make sure you limit the ad tracking.

Animale
Sep 30, 2009

Aware posted:

On a similar note - what's the best bang for buck 3.0 system for great voice/centre channel? I really want to avoid a subwoofer if I can, just looking to purely improve voice clarity in TV and the occasional movie.

If you don't want a sub then floorstanders would get you closer to where you need to be. Take a look at the Elac Debut and the Klipsch Reference and Reference Premier lines? I believe both should be on sale right now.

Animale
Sep 30, 2009

Elephant Ambush posted:

Got my TV! Sony XR65A80K. It says it has "exclusive features for the PS5" which made me laugh and had no bearing on my decision but we'll see what those "features" are when it gets here

Thanks to all the goons who gave me info and advice!

It's supposed to auto calibrate HDR for PS5 but it ends up doing it wrong so all the HDR highlights are blown out.

Animale fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Jul 12, 2022

Animale
Sep 30, 2009
G1 is brighter, has the oled evo panel (some C1s have the older panel), includes the wall mount, and has better speakers. Probably worth the extra $100.

Animale
Sep 30, 2009

Vintersorg posted:

QD-OLED sounds really cool - but Samsung currently only goes up to 65". Hopefully they go bigger next year.

The 65" is currently on sale for $2100 which is extremely tempting.

Animale
Sep 30, 2009
When I got my Sony x930e I got a lemon, within the year warranty period it wouldn't turn on so they originally sent me a new power supply. It worked for a while but then it wouldn't turn on again and I had two functional power supplies, so they sent a tech to replace the main board. They replaced the board but this meant the set was no longer factory calibrated so I have to use slightly weirder settings than most other folks (my expert settings are very yellow by default and warm and cool settings look the same). But I still use it as my main tv 4 years later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Animale
Sep 30, 2009

m.hache posted:

If I wanted to pair a newly purchased PS4 with the best looking 55" I could get what are my options. A cursory search gives me a Sony A80J OLED.

I've seen a few LGs show up as well. It'll be in a dark room so not worried about natural light.

Likely won't do much else on the TV but could end up watching Football on it as well.

What's your budget? The PS4 isn't too fancy so you could choose whichever one of these is in your price range and be fine.
https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/best/by-size/55-inch