Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AzCoug
Jun 10, 2010
I've been out of the TV market for a little bit. I've noticed that the prices have come down quite a bit. I missed this TV for $547 just recently.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/A...sim/water70e-20

Anyone have any experience with that TV?

Any recommendations for best current TV's for the value?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AzCoug
Jun 10, 2010
Last I heard Vizio's were improving in their quality and starting to become, overall, very good TV's. Is this still the case? Have they become one of the premier TV brands and something to consider?

AzCoug
Jun 10, 2010

Smoking_Dragon posted:

It should be noted the picture quality on both isn't as good as some of the other manufacturers but I imagine most people won't notice the difference.

What differences might you see?

quote:

One question I have is has anyone had any experience with DLP TVs specially the Mitsubishi 840s? I haven't found hardly any professional reviews on them and rear projection/DLP isn't even mentioned in the first post. They seem like a great value but there doesn't seem to be very much information on them so I'm worried they aren't worth it.

I have a JVC 62" DLP right now that I am looking to replace. I've had it for about 6-7 years. Replaced the bulb once (Approx. $200). As of about 2 years ago I did get a large yellow ring in the screen. Looked into it and in order to replace it, I am basically replacing the main component of the TV, which was not cost effective. I'm not sure how rare this is, but you can really only notice it against white backgrounds. Nonetheless, if you keep replacing the bulbs when needed, it's the type of TV that could last a LONG time.

As far as picture quality goes, I thought it was very comparable at the time but compared to the TV's today it could be better. I have seen some of the new DLP's and they seem to look really nice, especially for the value. Just depends if you want to be trendy and have a TV on your wall or you don't mind taking up a little more space and taking advantage of the value.

AzCoug
Jun 10, 2010

Don Lapre posted:

Most new flat panel tv's have all the connections on the side so even hanging on a wall they are easy to plug stuff into.

And if you're using a receive, chances are you only have one HDMI going to your TV and everything else to the receiver.

AzCoug
Jun 10, 2010
The Consumer Electronics Show is going on right now in Las Vegas. This is when the new models are revealed and prices on last year's models should begin to drop in order to make room for the new ones. I believe the new ones come out around March?...

AzCoug
Jun 10, 2010
55" Ultra HD, 4K resolution, OLED for $12K?!...I don't think so.

AzCoug
Jun 10, 2010
Did anyone see this deal?!

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3528726

Sounds like a great price and if I remember right, the 6000 Series were above average TV's?

AzCoug
Jun 10, 2010
My parents have a newer Sharp LED and I was at Costco the other day looking at the TV's there and noticed the same issue that was bugging my on my parents TV.

During football games when watching the ball during a pass the ball is not at all clear and in one "piece". It looks as though it is flickering or fluttering down the field. I really only noticed it in the LED's at Costco, but maybe it applies to other technologies as well.

Has anyone else ever experienced this or know what causes it? I looked through all the settings on my parents TV and didn't find any "Motion" or "Soap Opera" type of settings, if that's even the case.

I asked the Costco guy about it and he seemed knowledgeable about everything until that point when he said "That's just the way they are." Which seems unacceptable to me when technology is suppose to improve, especially since I saw the same problem on a 240hrz and I thought that was the whole point of 120 and 240hrz which was suppose to be best for fast motion and sports...

AzCoug
Jun 10, 2010

Don Lapre posted:

That is probably motion interpolation.

How do you get rid of that??

AzCoug
Jun 10, 2010

Rhyno posted:

Spend more money.

Not gonna happen. Paid good money for this TV. Isn't there a setting or something that can be adjusted?

AzCoug
Jun 10, 2010

So when buying a new TV what am I looking for or NOT looking for in order to ensure I don't get this same fancy "feature"?

AzCoug
Jun 10, 2010
I just bought the 65" E Series Vizio. I may be able to get by with the 70" which has the "Razor LED". Is there a big difference between the normal LED and the Razor?

Does anyone know of any other difference between the 65" and 70". We really like the picture on the 65" and just want to make sure it would be the same or better on the 70"

AzCoug
Jun 10, 2010
I have a 65" Vizio and am looking for some ambient lighting to put behind the TV. What does everyone recommend? Do you recommend lighting on all four sides or just top/bottom, etc.?

Any experience with Lightpack? http://store.lightpack.tv/products/lightpack

What would be the cheapest route? http://www.ebay.com/itm/310878828877?catId=293&item=310878828877

AzCoug
Jun 10, 2010
I recently bought a Vizio 65" E series from Costco a few months back, along with their extended warranty. I've recently noticed a vertical line about 1/3 of the way in from the left side of the TV. It's not real noticeable but against a darker scene you can see the whole thing extending from top to bottom. Pretty sure it is enough to have the TV replaced (unless they are able to somehow fix this for cheaper).

First, has anyone else seen or had this problem?

Second, I am contemplating living with it for a while and figure if I get my full $1200ish refund that I could put it towards a newer technology set at that time...any suggestions? Is this something that they are going to be able to fix so I'd be better off taking care of it now?

AzCoug
Jun 10, 2010
Looking for a 32" for a bedroom. Is it true that 1080 isn't real important/needed at that size? 720 would do?

Any suggestions for a specific TV? Sounds like some have had good luck with the Vizio. Costco currently has the E320-B0 for $219.99

What's the difference between A1, B0, B1, etc.?

AzCoug
Jun 10, 2010

Viper_3000 posted:

Like most sets it needed to be calibrated, but once you run thru the AVS disc, it's really quite nice.

Where do you get this disc? Can it be used for any TV? Easy to use?

AzCoug
Jun 10, 2010

Viper_3000 posted:

AVS forum. If you can read and have some decent eyesight it should be pretty easy. It's not perfect but it's better than nothing.

1080 isn't important and more importantly almost no manufacturers spend the money to put 1080 into the budget panels, which is what 32" ones are.

Vizio is hands down the best value at 32". The difference between the Ax and Bx models is that the Ax is last years model. The Bx is what you want. The main differences between the different Bx models are smart TV features and some cosmetic changes. They all share the same panel throughout the Bx line.

I think you'd be happy with the E320-B0 that Costco is selling. I got my girlfriend's open box E320-B2 at sams for 192, and the main difference is smart tv features like netflix/amazon/etc., things that can easily be added and done better with a Roku/AppleTV/Chromecast.

Wow. Gonna have to take some time to go through that step by step. My instant gratification kicks in and I find myself getting impatient with these things. But if the results are worth it I'll have to give it a try. Thanks for the link.

Great info on the Vizios. Wondering if we might see them go on sale soon with the new version coming out soon.

AzCoug
Jun 10, 2010
Does anyone use an RF remote? I am looking for something to use in a guest bedroom, so not wanting to spend a lot $200+ on anything. Saw this one on B&H

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=423528&gclid=CImw9pmHpb0CFclDMgodTVcA8g&Q=&is=REG&A=details

AzCoug fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Mar 22, 2014

AzCoug
Jun 10, 2010

Bruce Hussein Daddy posted:

I use this one http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000S69336/ref=pe_385040_30332190_TE_M3T1_ST1_dp_1

It works fairly well, even though the room with the computer is 20 feet away on the same floor as the television, I find pointing the remote straight up works best. I have been amazed at how hard it is to break the habit of pointing the remote at the tv.

Can that be used to change channels and control a cable box?

AzCoug
Jun 10, 2010
If my TV is connected to my network through Cat5 and I am running XBMC, what's the best way to access and play my videos through that TV? Will I need something like a Roku or will the new TV's play the media files on their own?

AzCoug
Jun 10, 2010

Gadamer posted:

I'm in the market for a 32" TV for the bedroom - don't really care about too many features (SmartTV, etc), because I'm going to plug an AppleTV and a ChromeCast into it. Will be used pretty much solely for Netflix and HBO GO watching.

The 32" VIZIO from CostCo my best bet?

I just bought the 32" Vizio E Series today. Have only had it hooked up to basic cable so far, but I'm pretty happy with it. Especially since it's for a spare bedroom. They also had the Samsung UN32EH4003 on sale for $229, but decided to go with the Vizio simply because it is thinner.

AzCoug
Jun 10, 2010
Have the 2014 Vizios hit the market yet? Specifically Costco?

AzCoug
Jun 10, 2010
Can anyone recommend a good IR receiver. I am going to have my cable box and receiver behind a wall and want to be able to run my equipment without having to expose them.

AzCoug
Jun 10, 2010
I am looking for a TV for my basement in an area that would have virtually no light because of a ceiling drop that covers the can lights and the fact that it's a basement. The only light/reflection might come from any lamps we have.

Would this be ideal setup for a Plasma?

Do/Can Plasmas still have a better picture than LED or has LED surpassed?

AzCoug
Jun 10, 2010

Don Lapre posted:

I would go with a projector if you are going to have a dark room, otherwise yes, plasma all the way.

What's the best Plasma out there right now? Looking for 65"

AzCoug
Jun 10, 2010

Don Lapre posted:

Samsung 64F8500

Getting hard to find. Check Cleveland plasma, amazon, local bestbuy, any local av store, even the grey market sellers like eastcoasttv

Is there a picture quality difference between the 8500 and the 5000? It looks like the only difference is the 3D which I don't care about. Do they use the same panel otherwise?

I was also told by the salesperson that people like the Plasma because it looks more "theater-like", whatever that means.

AzCoug
Jun 10, 2010

Don Lapre posted:

The 8500 has a high end anti glare filter and is the brightest plasma ever produced. If you are using it in a light controlled room the f5300/5350 or h5000 should be fine.

Also as far as theater like. I'd say the plasma looks less digital. Its hard to describe.

Great to know.

So with that said, what's anyone's overall opinion on Plasma vs. LED? Why are you/are you not buying a Plasma?

Do you think I am going to be regretting the Plasma in two years when 4K's are the norm?

AzCoug
Jun 10, 2010

NihilismNow posted:

All big manufacturers stopped making plasma. All that is available now is whatever was left in the pipeline and lower end LG plasma's.
The battle is done, snag up a plasma while you can.
It lost mainly because plasma is slightly more expensive, lower margins, higher power usage, slightly less thin panels and less bright in the showroom.

If you are going to regret not having 4K you will also regret it if you bought a HD LCD LED TV.
I do not care about 4K at all. There is still very little content available in 4K and a lot of TV/movie backlog won't be available in 4K anytime soon (if ever).

The salesperson at Sears (tried viewing the Samsung H5000 in person, but didn't have it on the floor) mentioned plasmas having a 5-6 year lifespan. When asked what "ends their lifespan" she said that the colors start to bleed together.

Wasn't sure if she was full of poo poo or not.

Is that an accurate lifespan? What is end all of a plasma?

AzCoug
Jun 10, 2010

Thermopyle posted:

You should basically never believe anything salespeople tell you at these places.

I mean, not everything they say is wrong, but so much of it is wrong (like this 5-6 year lifespan for plasma TVs) you may as well not believe any of it.

What is an expected lifespan then?

AzCoug
Jun 10, 2010

Don Lapre posted:

60-100k hours till its at half brightness.

Oh, so a couple years then...

AzCoug
Jun 10, 2010

BonoMan posted:

... I... I hope he was being sarcastic!

It pencils out.

AzCoug
Jun 10, 2010

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

So I pulled the trigger on the 4k Samsung 8550 for 2,300. How badly should I regret this impulse buy. :ohdear:

Saw that same one at Sears. It's tempting, but lack of content keeps me away from them. I feel like by the time there's enough content to justify the purchase, the prices will be drastically less.

AzCoug
Jun 10, 2010

Don Lapre posted:

They are a no name walmart brand.

My local TV store is offering the Samsung Plasma F8500 for $1,999. Good deal?

They also mentioned the H5000 is trimmed down since Samsung knew they were going to stop making Plasmas and that an LED would be pretty comparable at this point. Until then I was hearing decent things about the H5000.

AzCoug
Jun 10, 2010

sirbeefalot posted:

Where's the future going for really excellent picture quality/blacker blacks when these last plasmas are gone? OLED? I'm having a lame worry fit that if I don't jump on a F8500 now, I'll be stuck shopping LED sets forever. It's especially dumb because I've got a fully functional 60" Aquos already, though it's about 3 years old at this point.

I feel the same way. That's the main reason I would lean towards spending an extra $700 to buy the F8500 versus the H5000. But for my circumstance and lighting situation I feel like the H5000 would be suitable.

AzCoug
Jun 10, 2010
I'm looking at buying the Samsung Plasma H5000 from Amazon. What are your thoughts on the extra warranty? What are the odds I will need it for this TV?

Is the Amazon warranty legit? I'm assuming it is...

AzCoug
Jun 10, 2010

Don Lapre posted:

Depends on the cost of the warranty. If you are a costco member you can buy a squaretrade warranty there for a big discount.

Even if you didn't buy it there?

AzCoug
Jun 10, 2010

Don Lapre posted:

Yes, as long as its an authorized retailer. For tv's over $1000 its $90 for 3 extra years (so 4 total, 1 manufacturer + 3 year square trade) For like $599 to $999 i think its $60

Already bought the Square Trade that was offered through Amazon. $129 for 5 Years.

AzCoug
Jun 10, 2010
I have a 65" Vizio E Series-B that recently replaced an E Series-A that had vertical line through it.

In the last couple days I just noticed that when the TV switches from a dark scene back to a brighter scene or even at time just switching scenes or commercials, the picture will look overly bright and washed out for a few seconds and then slowly fade back to normal.

This can't be normal, but does anyone know what the cause and solution might be?

AzCoug
Jun 10, 2010

Stan Taylor posted:

I forget what the exact setting is called but its the automatic backlight adjusting thing. Good idea on a phone maybe, but I have no clue why you'd want it on a TV.

Great thanks. I'll have to dig around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AzCoug
Jun 10, 2010

eddyc49 posted:

Same thing at my Best Buy. It looked horrendous, even on the same source as the others with pixelation and tearing. I bought it anyway, got it home, and it's absolutely gorgeous from 6-8 feet away after some tweaking.

:iiam:

What type of "tweaking" did you do?