Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AzCoug
Jun 10, 2010

Mozi posted:

I have a PN64H5000 (amazing TV, by the way - hard to overstate how good the picture is) and sit about 8-9 feet away. Whether I notice the pentile-ness or not depends on a few factors, like the quality of the image source and whether there are large patches of a bright color, but I also just got used to it to a degree and don't notice it as much as I did initially, where it did bug me at 8 feet (after watching TV for a while I even saw the pattern when looking away.) But I got used to it and my brain doesn't make a big deal about it or really notice it anymore. The one place I can still tell is in white subtitles but it doesn't bother me too much because the rest of the picture is outstanding. If you're buying a pentile screen sight unseen it would be good to have room in your viewing area to scootch back a bit if it bugs you.

I just hung this TV up last night. Did you follow any break in rules? Did you use any specific calibration settings?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AzCoug
Jun 10, 2010

Don Lapre posted:

Samsung people running plasma break in slides. Just FYI, your tv has a scroller under the settings and burn protection. It will do the same thing.

so just run the stroller? How long do I need to do this for?

AzCoug
Jun 10, 2010

Don Lapre posted:

Many people say for the first 200 hours of content, either run slides or make sure you are watching full screen/keep static logos away..

Then i might run the scroller for 2 hours or so a week after i go to bed.

What's the worst case if you just start normal use right out of the box?

AzCoug
Jun 10, 2010

Constellation I posted:

Add 13% tax on top of that and it's just not worth it.

Holy poo poo.

AzCoug
Jun 10, 2010

WeaselWeaz posted:

I'm setting my basement us as a rec room and trying to pick out a good TV. No windows but dimmable overhead lights, a picture is below. I'll get the set when Super Bowl sales start. I'm used to my Panasonic plasma in the living room, but some of the LEDs I've seen aren't bad. Main concern is picture quality. I don't care about smart or 3D features, since I'll have an Xbox 360, gaming PC and an HDMI splitter on the TV. TV will be about 1/3-1/2 covered by the shade from the light.

I'm considering four 65" Samsung sets if I can get one of them for <$1400 on sale. Plasma sets 64F5300A, 64H5000, or LED sets 65H6350, 65H7150. I know the F5300A will be $999 or less locally and I can get the H5000 for a couple hundred more.

Edit: Right now F5300 is $899, the 64H5000 and 65H6350 are both about $1399, and the H7150 probably won't work anyway because my stand is Ikea Best a cabinets that may have a slight bump where they meet together, so the set wouldn't sit flat.

After quite a bit of research I went with the H5000. Got it on amazon for $1279.

AzCoug
Jun 10, 2010

Mozi posted:

I think you'll be happy with your choice. Make sure to get a large enough stand, as the legs of the H5000 splay out more than you'd think from the pictures.

I installed the recessed, tilt and swiveling mount from Monoprice.

A little more to the install with having to cut out drywall, etc but it looks great when finished.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AzCoug
Jun 10, 2010

Sir Nose posted:

I need a really flat tv. It needs to hug the wall, as a motorized projector screen will lower in front of it. So it needs to be as thin as possible, I assume this means jacks and power cord and whatnot would have to connect sideways instead of plugging straight into the back. I could also use a recommendation for the flushest wall mount there is.

Would like the tv to be 55" (no larger), but it may have to be smaller depending on the nature of the wall mount and stud placement. It doesn't need to be smart (I can stream through my blu ray player), but needs to be low-lag for gaming.

Any ideas? Thanks!

This is going to be the slimmest way to mount the TV. I just installed one myself, it is very solid and looks great.

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=109&cp_id=10828&cs_id=1082821&p_id=10223&seq=1&format=2