Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Monoprice has wall mounts for that size TV that do tilts for $15 if that helps your search:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=108&cp_id=10828&cs_id=1082801&p_id=5915&seq=1&format=2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

What's the difference in power per year? $50 tops? That shouldn't be a factor given the price of TVs.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Kraven Moorhed posted:

Unlike these ballers preceding me (god I wish I could splurge), I'm looking for something a bit more humble for using my PS3 in my bedroom. It'd be on a shelf a few feet away from the foot of the bed. I'm looking for something:
  • larger than 22 inches
  • price limit is $250-ish, but the lower the better
  • 1080p would of course be sweet, but I can deal with 720 I guess

I don't know if they even make 720p TVs anymore, but the benefits of 1080p on a 22" screen would show up if you sit within three feet of the screen. If you sit farther away you won't be able to see the difference.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Pez posted:

So my wife and I settled on a Vizio M420SL (42" 120hz LED), but I've had an odd problem. Everything looks fine until if I am using an app to watch Netflix or something, but as soon as I run a signal through HDMI or component a dark area will appear on the screen that is roughly the size of the input panel on the back. It will go away if we turn off the tv and turn it back on, but as soon as you try to use one of the inputs that spot will appear again. Is this common? Is something in the input not shielded well? Do I need better cables, or to take this back and exchange it?

Honestly I'd exchange it before dicking around with it. Obviously that shouldn't happen.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I have a 32" 1080p Vizio TV in the bedroom, and I don't have any complaints. It was like $300.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I got mine at Target, for reference. It has Smart features that work well enough. Hulu, Netflix, Vudu all worked fine for us. We bought it because we moved cross country and our stuff took a month to show up.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

LaserWash posted:

Is this kind of behavior common in LED LCDs? I'm used to my old Samsung LCD that never had ANY problems.

Obviously this isn't normal behavior. Call LG.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

LEDs are just LCDs with different backlighting, so yes.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

It probably wouldn't hurt to have a repairman look at it.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Just grabbed a Panasonic TC-P60VT60 to replace my beloved TH-42PX600U. Big upgrade woo.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I never babied my now eight year old plasma and I had nothing resembling an issue with it. I played Halo 2 for 12 hours straight when I got the thing.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

That's why I upgraded. I was thinking ST60 but decided to go all in since I won't get another shot at it. Always regretted not buying a Pioneer Kuro when Best Buy cleared them out for $2,500 a pop and didn't want to make the same mistake.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Space Racist posted:

A few potentially dumb questions here, but I'm just starting to look into a new TV after years away from the market, so please humor me:

Is there any way to determine if a HDTV has overscan before using it? Or is it mostly eliminated with modern 1080p displays? My roommate's 2006-vintage plasma has some pretty awful overscan, but it's a 1366x768 panel (and only 'supports' up to 1080i). Meanwhile my 1080p LCD has zero overscan, which is pretty nice for plugging into my computer and for gaming in general.

Google whether or not you can disable overscan. It might be called "dot for dot" mode or "full pixel" or something else. Most TVs have a way to disable overscan, if only on certain inputs.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

CubanMissile posted:

I'm looking for a decent 60" television. LED or plasma, but I watch a lot of sports so I'll probably prefer LED? My price range is between $1500-1800.

Things I can about : Black levels, input lag. While I'm planning on buying a home theatre system, it won't be for awhile so not having terrible audio would be a plus.

I paid $1750 for my Panasonic TC-P60VT60.

It's a ton better than Vizio junk.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Every channel that box receives is a 4:3 SD broadcast.

Some of those channels choose to letterbox their feeds before it gets to you.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

bull3964 posted:

Sony and Panasonic ended their OLED partnership, effectively ending OLED development for either company. They're both going to pursue LCD based 4K instead.

Well, makes my decision to grab a VT60 seem even smarter at least.

:(

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

No, you should get a plasma it'll be fine.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

It'll probably go away, and how often do you watch an all white screen?

That said, if they have other open box models it might be worth swapping just to not have to worry about it.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I have a 60VT60 and I'm a pretty decent video gamer, it's beautiful and works great.

I play FPSes online, not rhythm or fighting games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

My VT60 plasma and PX600U (from 2006) plasmas have no burn in issues and I don't baby them at all.

No break in, I play Xbox games with prominent static HUDs for hours, no issues.