Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

That resultion vs. distance chart is BS and always has been and was originally created so AVS plasma fanboys could win arguments over people getting 1080P LCDs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I'm looking at 55" Sonys right now, the W950 is down to under a grand and seems like a smart bet, their 2015 models are all androided up and I have zero need for a smart TV, [or speakers or even flexible input] all I really need is a panel I can make look as good as possible. Thoughts? I'm open to non-Sony models but they have to have a competent HDMI-CEC setup because I finally have it all working correctly.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I'm curious if LG's current OLEDs can support the new high dynamic range color on UHD blu-ray.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

In recent stuff I've read UHD Blu Ray will support both Dolby VIsion and one developed by the standards people

quote:

HDR pictures can be delivered in one of two ways: either using the BDA-developed “BD HDR” section of the new specification, or via compatible HDR formats such as Dolby Vision.
http://www.whathifi.com/news/ultra-hd-blu-ray-everything-you-need-to-know

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Boz0r posted:

What's the best blu-ray player for only playing blu-rays, no funny stuff?

I have a Sony BDP-S5500 and I like it a lot, it loads quickly and is decently configurable.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I'm so not connecting my TV to the internet when I get a new one, that's shameful.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

sellouts posted:

Last year's W800B Sony might be a contender, but the updated 2015 W800C is a step back. If you can find a W800B it might be worth a try.
They're the same panel, I think the gaming lag is a little worse [like 10ms] but as far as I can tell they're pretty much the same. The only place I've seen the B called better was rtings and HDTVtest seemed to like it just fine. That said I guarantee Android TV probably has plenty of rough edges but I don't think anyone was expecting otherwise.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

EL BROMANCE posted:

Depending on what he uses the TV for, and his viewing distance.

I don't want to go into a full-on rant but resolution-chart.png is and always has been bullshit, it's trivially easy to tell the difference between 720, 1080 and even 4k at 10 foot+ distances depending on the images on the screen. Whether or not it's worth the difference to any one individual is a separate issue.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

AU/CA might be Australian/Canadian model? Not sure if there's any real difference between those models and the US one. Either way I'd put that solidly in the "suspiciously cheap" category.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

EL BROMANCE posted:

That doesn't really make sense... Australia is 50hz and Canada is 60hz. It seems an awfully odd combo to pair together given the differences between electricity/broadcast systems. Are the tuner types even the same? I'm guessing Canada uses ATSC like the US does.

Does HDTV in PAL regions run at 25/50 or did that switch to 30/60? I'd imagine the systems they use have every video standard built in now and the only real regional difference is what's turned on by default and cosmetic changes [meaning extra Us in the UI and maybe French moved up the language list to second position] plus no warrantee support.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

We're getting to the point that 1080p is getting relegated to the bargain models and if you want anything big or with a quality picture it will probably be 4K anyway.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Reliability is the main reason I'm probably going to just go with a 1080p LCD instead if springing for something better, I've had good luck with my electronics but they seem to be getting worse in the build quality department.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Ugh, I swear when I get a new TV I'm going to run a firmware update then delete my wifi credentials from it.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

So I had finally ostensibly settled on the Sony 55X810 but then I look on amazon and the 850 is only $200 more. Looking into it though it looks like the only actual difference in the trilumos on the 850 but everyone's already talking about how good the color on the 810 is so what gives? The 850 is technically HDR-capable but I have my doubts that an edge-lit LCD can get anywhere near as bright as the laser projectors they're using to demo HDR content.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Zachack posted:

Maybe I'm missing something but isn't the lack of 3D the main difference between the two sets?
It's 3d [which I have no interest in] and the "Trilumos" which is Sony's name for extended color range. The 850 is "hdr capable" but I'm really curious how much content there's going to be and also how noticeable it actually is in the real world in my never 100% dark living room. My main goal is the best, most accurate picture for blu-rays and my PS4. I was originally just going to get a 1080p model but it sounds like the X models have much better picture than the W. I just don't want to slide down the marginal upgrade slope too far if it's not really going to be much benefit to me.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

ijyt posted:

Does anyone here own the Sony KD-55X9005C? Managed to get a good deal with a local dealer and just want some honest opinions before I jump in.

I don't own one but from what I've read the picture is compromised a bit to achieve the insane thinness, people are reporting light bleeding issues. If you get one that's prefect it sounds like a really good tv though.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Good Will Hrunting posted:

Whats the difference between the 810c and 850c? Both looked really nice when I saw them in-store the other day.

The 850 has Trilumos [brand name for nanoparticle coating for wider dynamic range] and supports 3D [who cares]. I'm deciding between the two now at 55" and leaning towards the 850 just because my original budget was close to the $1200 it's going for now. The max brightness is slightly higher on the 850 as well.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

If you're comparing input lag numbers under 50ms you're not going to notice much of anything, when that really mattered was the bad old days when 100ms was considered good and some Samsungs were over 250.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I have a stand-alone blu-ray player [Sony S5500] because I wanted to save wear and tear on my PS4 and use a real remote [the PS4 remote hadn't even been announced], it's a little better at handling dirty Netflix discs than the PS4 was but it's a little annoying on streaming services.

Ultra HD players barely exist and I think the only one actually for sale is over $1000. Wait a couple years.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

There's also Dolby Vision certification but that will probably only be on laser projectors and that $10k Panasonic OLED.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I heard when they did the original Dolby Vision demos at last years' CES they actually dialed max brightness down from what the system is capable of [4000 nits] after people complained.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

We're getting the point now where [LG OLEDs excepted] pretty much every decent tv over 40" is 4k anyway so it's not really worth harping on. The whole point of the UltraHD Premium badge is to create a new, more expensive class of TVs since the margin on "normal" ones is basically zero, kind of like the old THX badge [which Sony also decided to never bother with].

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

At this point Sony electronics as a company isn't really in a position to do that "put a model of [thing x] into the market because our competitors are and see if it takes off," they're on a budget and the hardware for streaming can also be built into their TVs and projectors. I'm sure if UHD blu ray actually takes off they'll have players on the market but I'd guess they're a little gun shy to go first.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

You can still get the Sony X930C but it's not cheap [$2800 for 65"].

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

sesh posted:

Is there any possibility of the 2016 oleds having decent input lag or are they all going to be stuck at 50ms forever
How is 50ms that bad? TVs considered "good" for gaming a few years ago were in the 100-120 range. 50 milliseconds is fewer than 2 frames and given that human reaction time is 250ms it won't be your TV's fault if you get pwned. Plus a lot of those ones with super low lag game modes wash out the picture to do it.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

You should turn off all motion processing for games, all they'll do is increase lag and make things look worse. That said the PS3 is ten year old hardware at this point, I wouldn't expect miracles.

As far as audio goes I put all sources into the receiver and have a single HDMI cable to the TV.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

As long as it's multiple of both 30 and 24 which 120 is don't worry about it, the panel quality is going to make a much bigger difference. Everything above that is a marketing number and you should turn off all the motion interpolation anyway.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

There's a couple people in here with the Sony X810c, yes? Any long-term ownership problems/quirks? I'm thinking of getting the 55" and 2015 stock is running out and I don't feel like paying $500 more for the 850D.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Please post your 930D impressions, the people on AVS are insane.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

computer parts posted:

I'm probably going to get a new TV sometime between now and Christmas. Im thinking somewhere around 50", probably about $1000, maybe 4K if possible. I've been looking at this TV:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00R45XH8Q/

Any good/bad things anyone can say about it, or better similar models?
You can get the 55x810 for the same price and it's bigger.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

There's a summary here. All there is on Value Electronics' 1997-rear end website is the table.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Thufir posted:

We just got a new Vizio E48-d0, is there any way to adjust audio/video settings without the Smartcast app? Maybe I'm an old fashioned curmudgeon but I hate the idea of relying on a smartphone app for my TV functionality.

Vizio's thing is offloading everything onto apps so they don't have to try to write a decent smart OS, their higher end TVs even come with an android tablet to do setup and streaming.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

xgalaxy posted:

Anybody have any recommendations mid-to-high end media consoles (whether self standing or wall mounted) or a forum thread or site to visit that discusses this? I was in scan-design recently and they have stuff from Bdi that I like the looks of but I'm not sure what other options are out there.
I have a Salamander Designs stand, I like it a lot. Maybe try the "Post your AV setup" thread?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

One thing I don't get about the current crop of harmony remotes is the non-LCD model seems dumb. The volume control is in a weird place and although it says it controls 8 devices there's exactly 3 activity buttons on the remote with six "smart home" controls underneath. Who has wifi light bulbs and home automation but only has 3 sources? I know you can remap all the buttons but "press the slightly larger light bulb to turn on the PS4" isn't a great compromise.

qirex fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Oct 5, 2016

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Wilford Cutlery posted:

Just wanted to remind that the Black Friday HDTV megathread is underway, I've added a few more stores since I started:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3796229

Geez, Samsung's really trying to clear out stock.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

TV companies have less than no interest in supporting people playing pirated media, and they probably all have business relationships with the streaming companies whose platforms they support.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Ammanas posted:

Right, 55" in the under 2k segment.

The X850D is a perfectly good TV.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I'd guess they'll come out around $2500 street for the 55", $3500-4000 for the 65". Wouldn't shock me if it was more, though.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

bull3964 posted:

No matter how they want to spin it, it's still just an LCD. It's also old tech. My 2013 model W900A used the same fundamental tech, just in an edge lit configuration.

They just decided to give it a new name to confuse the market when people are comparison shopping OLED.

QLED is better. Is two more!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Once I got my TV set for movies I typically had to bump the brightness a bit up from neutral in a lot of games. Fortunately that's the most common in-game adjustment available so I don't have to change my TV settings.