Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Question about HDR, is it really necessary to set your TV's backlight to maximum to get the full effect HDR? Lots of tech sites recommend this, but I usually watch in a dim room and my TV is blindingly bright with the backlight at maximum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

wolrah posted:

Only in the same way that it's necessary to set your receiver to reference volume to fully experience a soundtrack. Technically true, but practically meaningless if it's uncomfortable or impractical for you to use in that state.

That's what I was thinking, thanks!

American McGay posted:

Yeah HDR signal should switch you to a different picture mode which you can edit independent of your regular picture settings.

Yeah, my TV does this too. I normally keep the backlight around 50-70 but the HDR picture modes are defaulted to 100.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

BonoMan posted:

Windows isn't showing the monitor.as HDR capable which is odd.

And the TV's menu system is embarrassingly barebones but this does give me something to chase down .

On some TVs, you have to enable HDR for that input somewhere in the settings.

Based on the TV blacking out most of your settings, what I assume is happening is the TV is auto-recognizing it as a PC RGB input and automatically put its black/color space levels at High/Full, while Windows is assuming its a TV and automatically putting out Low/Limited levels. You can force RGB Full in Windows but the location of where to do it varies depending on your PC. For me I have to go into the Intel Graphics display options. Alternatively, on your TV you can change your RGB levels to Low/Limited to match Windows. Sometimes this is called "Black Level".

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
So I'm trying to figure something out. With both my Switch and Xbox One X connected to my HDR TV, there is some minor color banding when outputting SDR content at RGB Limited. However, if I set them to RGB Full, and adjust my TV's RGB settings accordingly, the color banding goes away. But everyone says you should only use RGB Full if you're connected to a computer monitor, and I thought color banding was related to bit depth and not RGB range. Can anyone explain this further?

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Recommend me a 43" TV that has both excellent black level and good viewing angles. I currently have a 43" LG UM7300 and its an IPS screen that has great viewing angles, but the black level is horrible. I would get OLED but there basically isn't one that small.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Thanks guys. I’ll consider going up because I hate having to compromise one or the other.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I just picked up a new LG OLED. I’m already familiar with most TV settings and I always calibrate my TVs, but I was looking for input on a few things:

1. Dynamic Tone Mapping. Most calibration guides say to turn it off, but I find that I prefer how it looks with it on 90% of the time. My new TV has HGIG tone mapping. Can someone explain what this is? Apparently it is meant for games, but even if you turn it on and then use a game’s HDR calibration screen it seems to severely limit the dynamic range and crush white detail. Is it recommended to use this and is there a preferred way to calibrate for it?

2. What is the consensus on Dolby Vision vs. HDR10+? I’m having a hard time deciding which I prefer, but I did notice that Dynamic Tone Mapping is not available when Dolby Vision is being used.

3. Peak Brightness. I assume I should leave this as high so as to get the highest dynamic range?

SweetMercifulCrap! fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Dec 31, 2023

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Wondering if any of you can answer this because I'm having a hard time finding an answer:

On my LG OLED TV, when using Dolby Vision on Xbox Series X, the "Color Gamut" option is set to Native and greyed out. I don't like using Native in any mode because everything becomes over-saturated. Is this just something that Dolby Vision dictates or is there possibly an issue somewhere in the setup?

I also wish there was a way to force Dolby Vision for some games and HDR10 for others because some games look better in one or the other, but that's perhaps a question for the Xbox thread.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

qbert posted:

I mean, isn’t that what the DV option in XBOX settings does? Just turn it off for games you want to play in HDR10.

Yes, but it means having to go into settings and enable it or disable it depending on the game. Not too big of a hassle I guess.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Another issue is that pretty much all TVs have some type of sound "enhancement" enabled by default that attempts to simulate surround sound by adding reverb and spatial separation. It almost always turns the audio into a noisy mess. This is also why most soundbars suck - many of them don't allow you to turn this stuff off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

qirex posted:

Even the services are doing this, for a while Amazon had dynamic range compression turned on by default in their apple tv app and oh man it sounds bad if you have a decent system.

I'm sure everyone in here has seen me post this but if you can possibly manage it in your room get a cheap receiver, 2 bookshelf speakers and some stands. Or a pair of powered speakers. Soundbars, HTiB packages, etc. are generally awful, unless you spend a ton of money at which point they become tolerable. 2 channels of good sound is a million times better than 5-15 channels of plasticky honking.

Seconding this. If you can swing it, IMO a pair of quality floor speakers that also cover most of the sub-bass frequency range is preferable by FAR to several sub-par speakers and a subwoofer. One of the reasons being it's not always easy to balance the subwoofer's output with your speakers and people often end up with a way too boomy sound.