Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Finally convinced my parents to ditch their 2003 Pioneer PDP-5030HD, was wondering if you guys had any recs.

Size:
Needs to be ~50" to fit the setup. Probably a few inches of wiggle room there.

Display
This is getting used almost 100% for movies, so display quality is most important in that regard. Any smart TV features won't get used at all (other than the ones on the Apple TV,) so if a dumber TV with better quality is available that would make more sense.

Budget
Under $1000, can go a little higher but not by much.

Peripherals
*DENON receiver that unfortunately lacks HDMI ports, but will use that to handle audio to their 5.1 setup
*DVD player
*Apple TV 3rd gen
*Comcast cable box
*Logitech Harmony remote

Used
They never buy anything used, and they're not about to start, so this would need to be a new one. Parents.

TIA guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

priznat posted:

I think the 55" LG OLED B6 is just about perfect for my needs, no 3d, flat.. Now if only it can dip below $2500 CAD.. :sigh:
I think my parents are about to buy one of these. Curious what the best 4k blu-ray player is that has HDR/Dolby Vision, etc. They also watch lots of dvd's so good DVD playback is a must.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

My parents are getting themselves the B6 55" for Christmas. Their receiver, however, doesn't have HDMI ports. I assume the best approach is to get an HDMI/audio splitter? What's the best model that won't degrade quality?

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

So, receivers. The major sites weren't much help in terms of making heads or tails of what is worth getting. I really just need 5.1, HDMI-CEC, and 4k 4:4:4@60hz support, at minimum cost.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

I have an external hard drive full of movies we want to use with my parents' new LG OLED55B6P. I want a good clean interface that fetches movie posters, etc. for it. It was my understanding that Plex was a good solution for this but apparently it's for network streaming only and won't work with a drive connected directly to the TV via USB, and I don't think it works with devices hooked directly up to routers either. The LG interface kind of sucks. Is there an app that does this better?

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

sellouts posted:

Just use a cheap server and get Plex or Kodi installed. It's exactly what you want and my setup is pretty maintenance free.
Yeah but its a little absurd to buy and run a server and stream over the network as opposed to a direct USB connection purely for the reason that I want a better UI.

bull3964 posted:

If all you have to play back the files is the TV, then you are kinda limited to what the TV provides.
Right, but it's a smart LG OLED® with Apps™so I am wondering if there is an App that does this.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Dec 28, 2016

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

So, just to get posters and metadata for the videos I can already play on my brand new $2,000 TV via USB, I need to either purchase a complete always-on network server solution or a separate device that will otherwise duplicate features the TV already has but without 4k/HDR support? That is loving stupid.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

It's just surprising that no one has developed an app for it already considering it's far less complicated than Plex.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

bull3964 posted:

It's a closed ecosystem. No one is writing apps for it except content providers.
It does have an SDK and an app submission process. Although I can't imagine LG webOS TV's alone are much of a market.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

It may be your receiver, honestly. Try running the roku straight to the TV and see if you still get the issues. HDCP is pretty hosed still unfortunately.

I can't seem to get 60hz out of the B6 from my Macbook Pro. I tried 3 different cables (including a way overpriced Cinnamon one), both Windows and macOS. It maxes out at 29hz. What gives?

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

It's a mid-2015, which according to Apple can output 3840x2160 at 60hz, though not 4096x2160. So if it can't output it via the built-in HDMI port, do I get an adapter for the Thunderbolt port, or what?

I know the LG is 4096x2160 but I can live with a little letterboxing for Homeworld at 60hz.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

No USB-C or DisplayPort on the mid-2015, just Thunderbolt, though I think mini-DisplayPort adapters are compatible.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Although not via the built-in HDMI port, so it must be via the Thunderbolt port, yeah.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

The B6P is likely to drop to around $1500 soon, if you don't mind waiting a bit and staying at 55".

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

bull3964 posted:

To my knowledge, you need to use display port to HDMI adapter.

Edit: according to the link, I think you need a USBC adapter.
Well, the 2015 MBP doesn't have USB-C. I tried a Mini-DisplayPort to HDMI adapter and it is still stuck at 30hz.

KS posted:

Sure looks like it's limited to 3840x2160 at 30 or 4096x2160 at 24 according to that link.

Displayport to HDMI 2.0 cables didn't exist forever but it appears there are a bunch on Amazon now:
https://www.amazon.com/Club3D-Displayport-1-2-HDMI-CAC-1070/dp/B017BQCUGW?th=1
https://www.amazon.com/DisplayPort-HDMI-2-0a-Active-Adapter/dp/B01B6ZOMIS/ref=pd_cp_147_4?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=1N9K7WHEHBC0N11ZQD8R

Your thunderbolt ports are mini displayports.
I'll try this next I guess!!!!

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

How much of an improvement is the B7 over the B6? I want a 65" OLED but am thinking of just getting the B6 off the used market.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Realistically, how much will used market LG OLED65B6P prices drop in the next few months? I found a 55" model for under a thou, but I'd be willing to pay up to $1500 for a 65".

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Is OLED aging based on time or use?

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

I love my C7P and the B6P I got my parents but the motion quirks are beginning to bother me a bit. What are the proper TruMotion/Motion Eye Care (or whatever) settings to best replicate the experience of watching 24fps content on an LCD?

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Apr 29, 2018

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Does anyone have insight on OLED pricing trends? The Vizio OLED finally launched at 2k, and I'm wondering if it has the potential to drive prices down through the end of the year. I am looking to buy a 65" C9 or CX, and I would be mad at myself if prices dropped by $500 or more on sale.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Why is the C9 so highly sought after? Just price?

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Yeah, I don't game on my TV - just watch classic film - so, a CX is fine by me. Even a C8 would be ok. Just not thrilled about paying over 2k.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

I am having a lot of trouble not pulling the trigger on this. I am terrified of the reports of the refurbs failing and people having to pay the price of another 65" OLED to repair it. But man, that price.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

The new one is over $1000 more. I have like zero chance of burn in because I only watch film. I guess I'm more worried about electronics or panel failure.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Once you see an OLED, you will never want to spend money on an LCD again, even if that means going without a TV for a bit. They're that good.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

The cool thing about OLED is that it never stops being amazing. I remember when I first got a 32" monitor, at first it was like, wow! this thing is huge! and that wears off after a bit. But OLED stuns me when I watch a film on it every. single. time.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

snip

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Oct 19, 2020

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

text me

OK but seriously, I hear that the Sony's aren't quite up to par with the LG, but if it's $1000 cheaper, that's a hard deal to pass up.

On a related note I really wish Greentoe would stock the CX.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

BuyDig has it for $3,696.99 with a $300 VISA gift card.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Brad did not have a deal after all it seems

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Does the PS4 work when you hook it up directly to the TV?

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

That surprises me, isn't a price adjustment a price adjustment?

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

I have been surprised to hear a few people assert that Sony's OLED offerings are actually better for movies than LG's. Does anyone agree with this? I haven't found anything to corroborate that - RTINGS still recommends LG over Sony for movies.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

I read a review of the latest Sony OLED somewhere, which said it was slightly better than the LG for movies, but a fair bit worse than the LG for games (worse response time, lacking next-gen gaming HDMI 2.1 features).
I would love to read this as well - aside from a bit of Red Dead I only plan to use this for watching hella movies.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

May have been this, I can't quite remember. They also do a comparison here.

From what you say, as long as you don't want to go 77 inch, it may be the Sony is the right choice for you.
Lol, tom's guide isn't what it used to be. Definitely interesting but I'll try to find something else that corroborates that before pulling the trigger.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Sony A8H is now ~$1750 everywhere. Think I'm pulling the trigger today.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

It's really only a big deal if you game. After having reviewed the available literature, it seems clear that the A8H is outright the better option for movies. That's exciting because I get to save 500 bucks and get better PQ.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

5436 posted:

Doooo eeeeeet. I just did.
Yep, same. My second Greentoe OLED. Really excited!

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

codo27 posted:

Your occasional reminder that "traditional" film speed is wrong and SoE is the way to go.
can you tell us more about your decision to view schindler's list at 60fps?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Island Nation posted:

I might be getting a CX OLED in the next few days (yes, I saw the Sony deal but the main user doesn't care for Android). What would be the best way to take advantage of its strengths? The plan was for a FiOS box and Apple 4K to be connected.
If you're using an Apple TV 4K why would you ever need to be using the TV's smart interface? I used an ATV4K on the LG OLEDs I've previously owned and used webOS (which is trash) literally never.