Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
If you dont like the smart tv features on a tv you can just ignore them. They dont add to the cost of the set either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

That's what I was hoping, but I remember in the past that smart TV's had terrible laggy interfaces compared to non-smart ones. If this isn't a problem anymore, then a smart TV is fine.

How often do you use your tv's interface? Most people might setup their picture settings once and then never touch them.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Yea, LG makes fine tv's. Id also look at buying it from costco as you get 90 day return policy, 2 year warranty, and i think for $60 you can extend to a 5 year warranty if the tv is under $999.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Are you renting or buying the place? It would probably be easy to make the hole bigger if you own it.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

DizzyBum posted:

Yeah, I heard Monoprice has good mounts. Thanks!

Actually, the one you linked says it only fits between 23-37" TVs. Should I get something like this instead?:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=108&cp_id=10828&cs_id=1082806&p_id=8585&seq=1&format=2

As long as you meet the weight requirement and the mount supports the VESA size your tv uses then ignore the inches it says it fits.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

DizzyBum posted:

Followup to my posts just above - The wife and I finally got our very own Costco memberships (YAY WE'RE ADULTS :woop:) and browsed the TV selections. They've got this one in stock, which was one of the two I saw on their website I was really interested in (link goes to Amazon for reviews and extra specs):

VIZIO 55” Class (54.60” Diag.) Razor LED™ Smart TV

I'm pretty happy with it after previewing it in the store, so I'm gonna go for it! They also have a good wall mount in stock that has the right weight rating and VESA size, so I won't even need to worry about ordering one from Monoprice.

We're really excited. :) I get paid in two weeks on a work-from-home day, so I'll be picking it up during lunch. My wife is probably going to end up playing Dark Souls until she gets a headache... I'll be sure to post about it here and in the HDTV megathread so other goons know how it fares.

Make sure you get the square trade warranty. Should be $60 for 5 years.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

DizzyBum posted:

Oh, nice, my wife was mentioning Square Trade and I didn't realize the price and coverage were that good. Thanks!

Its through costco directly. You get the 1 year vizio warranty, the 1 year extra costco warranty, then for $60 (for tv's under $1000) you get another 3 years after.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Is your picture bad? set it on movie mode. Turn off interpolation. Enjoy your tv.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Yea, the only thing you would worry about with test discs is if they were designed to calibrate CRT's, and even then most of the test patterns will still be valid.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

overdriveGTO posted:

Are there any smart TV manufacturers I should avoid in terms of app quality? I'm looking for a 32" for my three season porch and I want Netflix and Hulu on it without using another device to keep clutter down.

In my experience the apps are all pretty similar. The ui to get to them will vary though.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

The vizio setup has gotten good reviews. its $279 at costco.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Lowen SoDium posted:

Not exactly a TV question, but does anyone have a Vizio Co-Star?

I am mostly interest to know how it works if you DO NOT have cable TV or satellite and you are just using it as a "smart-tv" kit. I use XBMC on a PC for most of my video watching and play file form a local server. XBMC has poo poo for 3rd party sources like Hulu and Amazon so I was thinking about using a Co-Star with it's HDMI pass through in-between the PC and my TV.

I am also considering using the Pulse Eight HDMI CEC Adaptor to control XBMC on my PC from the Vizio Co-Star's remote.

I am probably making this too complicated, aren't I?

Id get a roku over a googletv box to complement your xbmc setup. Then use a harmony smart control for remote control duties.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Lowen SoDium posted:

I have looked at Rokus and they do look nice and I know they are popular, but I was attracted to the Co-star and CEC approach because it would give me both devices on a single input on my TV and I could a single RF remote control using CEC rather than having to add an IR receiver to my XBMC.

Is there a Harmony Remote that can control a PC without an IR receiver? Related question: Is there a Harmony Remote that would let me control 2 different PCs at once?

An IR receiver for a pc is $13

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Philips-USB...=item3a73a67db6

Also no, if you used 2 pc's next to each other they would both pickup the same codes.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

So its exactly how it was when HDTV came out.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

One of your TV HDMI ports should say ARC. It has an audio return channel that will send audio back to an arc compatible receiver over the same HDMI cable that the TV receives its picture over.

If you do not have an arc compatible receiver you can also run a digital cable from the TVs digital audio out to a digital input on your receiver.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

The Third Man posted:

Is anybody aware of a display that has multiple VESA mount sizes? I would like to be able to mount a display to a wall with 400x400 interface while having another 100x100/75x75 interface available to mount a computer to, but I'm having a hell of a time finding a simple solution.

I am having a hard time picturing this. You want to mount a computer to the back of the tv? Why not just mount a 75x75 visa mount to the wall behind the tv to put the computer on.

The real issue you are going to have is clearance.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

TheEye posted:

Doesn't the M series have local dimming? Or maybe just some of them?

I think/thought all the M series do local dimming.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Gozinbulx posted:

Speaking of htpc's, that's going to be my main use as well. Are modern aftermarket graphics cards capable of the 240hz refresh rate all the sales people are trying to convince me is nessecary? Is it even worth it for htpc application?

Your TV only accepts up to 60hz

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Bad Munki posted:

Isn't that a fact of the current hdmi spec or something? I mean in general. I was sort of passively reading about that (because I have my 240hz tv hooked up to my computer as well and could only go to 60hz on the computer) and I swear I saw something about hdmi <2.0 being the limiting factor. Is that so?

There isn't anything that uses 120hz so there really isn't a need for it. the 240hz your tv advertises has to do with the display refresh, not the input source.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Gozinbulx posted:

Do you mean that even the highest end tv that has 480 or something is simply taking a 60hz signal and duplicating the frames? Is that good? Is it worth it?

Yes.

Even if you did have a 120hz input, there is no point in having one, as video sources are 24/30/60

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

240hz is the same thing as TrueMotion, right? If so, yes, it's loving garbage. Don't buy a TV based on that.

No its not.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Gozinbulx posted:

So non-motion interporlated 240hz still looks worse to some?

Whatever, I'm not gonna pay extra for it.

motion interpolation and the hz are two different things. Higher hz means the tv is refreshing faster and this can reduce motion blur. There is no reason to avoid a higher hz tv.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Ularg posted:

I don't know why I didn't think of auto-shutoff when I was gravely afraid of burn in. I should find a Plasma TV as an alternative for the best PS4 experience since I already have a gaming LCD computer monitor to try first. Probably going to go from 27" to 35"-40".

I don't get why the newer TVs kind of force these new itnernet features on you. Can I at least turn them off? My internet connection is very fickle with enough devices in my home connected wired or wireless already and I don't really need another unless I need some sort of firmware update.

Edit: How useful is CNET's 2012 TV Buying guide as a cheat sheet when looking for TVs?

Smart features don't cost anything and yes you can simply not connect it to your network.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

DaddyBigBucks posted:

Should the input lag between the same model but different sizes be the same?

For example: (KDL47W802A) vs (KDL55W802A)

Not necessarily

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Dont think that a tv is $1500 vs $1200 because it has smart features. Its more expensive for other reasons. Smart TV poo poo is basically free.

Dont not buy a tv because its a smart tv.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

cbirdsong posted:

Anyone ever bought an open-box discounted TV from Best Buy? The one near me has quite a few Panasonic S60s for $600 or less.

You got 30 days to return it. Buy one and take it home.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

cbirdsong posted:

It's actually down to 15 days now, unless you're in some kind of nonsense loyalty program.

Right now you actually have until jan14

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

BAILOUT MCQUACK! posted:

Is amazon's warranty on their televisions worth the money or no?

If warranties were worth the money then they wouldn't sell warranties.

Do people buy extended warranties and take advantage of them, of course. But most people will never use it.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Jastiger posted:

We have a 46" Samsung that doesn't work. What should we do with it? Will anyone buy one of these?

Fix it?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Local store got an OLED samsung in. It is worthy of the hype.

Black levels are just, as good as possible.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

And then the picture turns yellow in 6 months when the blue OLEDs start to wear out.

But for those 6 months... glorious

They also had the $40,000 samsung 4k setup and its as retarded as it looks in photos.

Don Lapre fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Dec 6, 2013

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Is that a 4:3 picture on an 8k TV? :psyduck:

The samsung 8k demo reel has it, it expands out to 16x9. I jsut took a photo at the wrong time.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

HDMI 2.0 can only do 4K@60Hz. Was it hooked up to something special or was it running at 15Hz?

Dunno, Its the same demo that bestbuy uses on their UHD tv's. Guessing same hardware. Probably 4k@30hz

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

blargle posted:

I've got an HTPC and don't care about smart TV, is it possible to buy a dumb TV with a high end display? Or are the good displays always bundled with smart TV features?

You arnt paying extra for the smart TV stuff. Just ignore its existence.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

bull3964 posted:

It can, but you'll have to make sure that you check documentation of TVs ahead of time to make sure that they:

a) Accept 24fps input
b) Can do the correct 5:5 pulldown WITHOUT using motion interpolation so you can get the right film effect.

Some TVs only allow 120hz mode with all the motion smoothing turned on and don't actually handle 24fps material properly.

120hz tv's dont have a 120hz mode. The lcd always runs at 120hz.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Space Racist posted:

Thanks guys. From what I can tell, for my usage pattern, 120 Hz wouldn't really be worth the extra money (and gently caress motion smoothing).

Also, if anyone was curious, ARC only seems to exist on Sony, Samsung and Panasonic sets. Not a big deal but it saves a little cable clutter.

120hz does not mean motion smoothing.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Chuu posted:

I realize this, but I'm not looking for HD content. What I'm trying to do essentially is somehow have 16:9 be the default aspect ratio (and letterbox 4:3 content) instead of 4:3 be the default aspect ratio (and letterbox 16:9 content). Then I can just set my TV to 16:9 and not have anything be distorted due to aspect ratio.

I don't know if this is letterboxed by the decoder or if it's letterboxed before it hits the decoder. If it's the former then I'm hoping there is some way involving cable cards or a different comcast box that could fix this.

I'm more concerned with 16:9 cable channels like ESPN.

That box is just going to output 480i 4:3 letterboxed picture. You will need an HD DTA or HD cable box

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Petey posted:

Is it safe to say that if you Google a model number shown by a major brand and it isn't listed/reviewed on an independent site (CNET, Crutchfield, etc) it's probably not worth the money?

I found some Samsungs at Costco which are within my price range but just are completely off the grid in terms of independent reviews.

e: specifically this one: http://www.bjs.com/samsung-5134-plasma-1080p-600hz.product.236054, except $579

e2: what, it doesn't even show up on Samsung's website...

Not necessarily. Just take the specs and find the equivalent. Its likely just a set with a different number of hdmi ports or some poo poo.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Any passive 3dtv should allow it as long as you have the correct glasses (the same polarization filter on both eyes. )

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

No, I was talking about this:

It does this by stretching each half to cover the whole screen.

Thats what im talking about as well, you gotta have glasses with the same polarization filter on each eye.