Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jaadee
May 3, 2013
A simple solution if your setup supports it is to plug the bias lights into your soundbar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jaadee
May 3, 2013
I helped my brother hop into OLED land a few weeks ago when the LG G1 55" was on clearance at best buy for $1000. He texted me today that the display won't power on. He's already got an appt set up with best buy and expects something to need replacing.

My question is, what is everyone's experience dealing with getting a lemon? Both at the LG level and the best buy level? Because I plan to treat this tv like a lemon if it is fine after getting a component replaced and even one more thing goes wrong before the warranty is up.

jaadee
May 3, 2013

jaadee posted:

I helped my brother hop into OLED land a few weeks ago when the LG G1 55" was on clearance at best buy for $1000. He texted me today that the display won't power on. He's already got an appt set up with best buy and expects something to need replacing.

My question is, what is everyone's experience dealing with getting a lemon? Both at the LG level and the best buy level? Because I plan to treat this tv like a lemon if it is fine after getting a component replaced and even one more thing goes wrong before the warranty is up.

BB tech took one look and they're just replacing the whole dang thing, so +3 points to KillHour. Needed a replace and not a refund because I didn't want to leave the brother without a tv while waiting on another big sale on a 55" C-series or better equivalent (can't return him to the land of the plebs now that he's tasted OLED).

jaadee
May 3, 2013
Thinking about throwing down $2250 on a refurb 77" LG C3 from BuyDig's Ebay store. Have a B8 and just missed out on eARC by a model year which really complicates my audio setup. Also would be moving from a 65" to a 77".

The thing comes with a 2-year Allstate warranty which looks fine. Are there any snafus I'm missing with buying a refurb oled TV, or with buying off Ebay, albeit from a seller than has an actual online presence? I recognize there won't be any burnin coverage but that's the case for every warranty except Best Buy's extended warranty as far as I know. I also have had zero burnin issues with the B8.

jaadee
May 3, 2013

Three Olives posted:

OK, super good point on the Samsung that I forgot about being really important, yes, we want Dolby Vision. We use Apple TV for everything and watch a ton of Netflix, Hulu and Max, so yeah, no Samsung.

Guess we will wait out until February to see if a LG or Sony OLED comes out as a better deal.

Greentoe has the LG C3 65" for $1400 including tax and ground shipping. Can't imagine that price will be beat by much at all at any point in the future. I haven't purchased from the site myself but reddit and avsforum are full of folks who have. They're not some shady gray-market reseller as far as I know, you can check out their FAQ for details on how the site works.

I will say my LG B8 65" has been bulletproof since I bought it in March 2019. No software issues. My partner's Sony tv (high-end LED, not an OLED) has been a shitshow software-wise in addition to any Sony tv commanding a premium price compared to a comparable LG one.

jaadee fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Dec 17, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jaadee
May 3, 2013

Captain Yossarian posted:

Alright thanks everyone! Is there any big deal days coming up I should wait for or will I hit myself if I don't get it soon? I think best buy has a 65 for $1600 right now but I could go look at Costco too

The C3 65" has been around $1400 recently which is the all-time low price for purchase from a retail location. That was because LG itself had the 3-series models on sale for a couple weeks. $1600 is certainly not bad.