Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I just purchased a Sony A80J, 65" for $2300. A90J didn't seem worth the extra money. I plan on using it to watch shows, movies, and to use as a PC monitor every now and then. I may also buy a PS5 in the future, so having the 120hz is future proofing, right? It's a 2021 model. I don't know if I'm a dumbdumb for buying a TV now instead of just holding off. The A80K is releasing just around the corner, but I have no idea if it would be similarly priced. I also don't know how much the price will drop on the 2021 models when the new ones come out.

I live in a Middle Eastern country, there's only a single retailer who sells Sony TVs, it's disgusting how these monopolies are able to run. So I haven't got experience here in terms of fair market value, I highly doubt the retailer will properly drop the price once new models come out. It's not like we the consumer can go to an opposing retailer.

Qubee fucked around with this message at 19:04 on May 18, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qubee
May 31, 2013

KillHour posted:

I literally just bought an A80J (on this page) because the new LG already came out and the Sony's went down to compete with the old LGs. I have no idea if that's the case in your country though.

How much did you pay for yours? I dunno why my post was missing the price, I wrote it originally.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

KillHour posted:

+ tax for the 77 inch

4,108 USD here, in a country that has no tax. loving monopolies, I swear. It's disgusting they can charge this amount and get away with it. How much does the 65 inch go for where you live?

I think I might cancel the order and just wait until '22 models come out and hope there's a big price drop.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Realistically speaking, when can I expect the price to drop on Sony A80J model TVs? The A80K is out now, I was expecting a fair discount on 2021 A80Js but there has been nothing for almost a whole month.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I'm from a Middle Eastern country, I can only buy retail here and we don't have Amazon or Best Buy. I was hoping once the new models hit the market, demand for the older ones will drop and I can get a good deal.

I did see the price go for $1600 about 3 weeks ago, but figured it was the start of the end and the price would drop further lol, oops

I've got no experience in TV prices, I always heard tech depreciates like crazy. I ordered the TV for $2500 last month and then cancelled when I realised I may as well just wait for new models to lower price. The plan hasn't worked out as I'd hoped, but now I've committed long enough to just wait it out whatever happens.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

On the subject of TV speakers, my Samsung TV had piss poor audio but because I lived in an apartment and am really self conscious about disturbing neighbours, I just lived with it despite having to watch everything with subtitles on. I plan on getting a pair of wireless headphones to watch my new TV (when I eventually get it). Is this going to be comfortable? I'm used to wearing headphones a lot and was going to get a pair of Sony WH-1000XM3. Even though I live alone in a much more sound-proof apartment, I still prefer not making noise.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Sony A80J 65" has just been reduced in my country from 681KWD to 585KWD. Should I just buy it at this price? Eid is right round the corner which is basically Muslim Christmas, so I dunno if it'll reduce further. Amazon says the lowest it's ever sold for is 1798USD, which is about 100 dollars cheaper than what it's going for here. I think I might just go for it lol

Qubee fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Jul 8, 2022

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Enos Cabell posted:

To me $100 is a small trade for the peace of mind of not checking prices constantly and looking for the best deal, and all the time you'll have to enjoy the tv instead of waiting for the price to maybe drop.

Ordered. I just really hate giving this company money. The way it works in this country is really powerful merchant families will buy up all the rights to sell certain brands (Sony, Toshiba, Chevrolet etc.) and then grotesquely markup the MSRP and you can't buy the product from anyone else because competitors don't exist and it's an actual monopoly trade market lol

Anyway, this is probably the best it'll get. It's arriving on Tuesday :discourse:

Qubee
May 31, 2013

poo poo, I didn't think things through properly. A 65" in the store seems so small, but I've just measured it where I want it on the wall and what the gently caress. It's a chonker. I'm currently trying to tetris my living room to make things fit, no clue if it's gonna work lol

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I went down the burn in rabbit hole today and it's really not as big a risk as we all seem to think it is? Some guy had the TV running for 9000 hours and burn-in was minimal except for obvious stuff like CNN with the logo. Some guy on Reddit summed it up perfectly: don't worry about burn in, especially if you're playing a game every day for a few hours with some mixed viewing after. Only start to worry about burn in if you're watching CNN or something like that literally all day every day in the background.

I'm not gonna fuss too much about burn in. If I wanna play a game that has static HUD elements, I'm not gonna worry over it. The rest of the time, watching TV shows or movies, I don't see the risk of burn in happening. I never really watch the news, it's too depressing, I read it instead. So that's my opinion on the matter.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

TV was supposed to be scheduled for 10am-1pm today. I called the delivery driver twice, no answer. Left him multiple messages. No replies. I contacted the actual electronics store to let them know the end of my scheduled delivery window was fast approaching and there was no sign whatsoever of the delivery team. They assured me it'd be with me before 4pm.

Long story short, they lied. Delivery driver answered his phone at 3:58pm right before he clocked off for work, and said he returned the TV as there was no response when they called the attached number. The attached number isn't mine, for some reason some random number was put in when I ordered and I didn't notice.

Mad angry. Supposedly will be here first thing tomorrow morning but I'm doubtful. I wasted 6 hours of my day today sitting at home like an idiot waiting for this delivery that I was really excited for.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Is there a guide on how to make the most out of Plex? Or any advice from you guys if I have a bunch of shows and movies on my PC that I want to seamlessly be able to watch from the TV wirelessly.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

morestuff posted:

Not an option given my layout and downstairs neighbors.

As a proud new A80J owner, just get a decent pair of wireless headphones, it rocks. I've got a cheap lovely pair of wireless headphones but it's so easy pairing them to the TV and I can watch in total comfort and hear everything as loud as I want without worrying about being a nuisance to neighbours.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

The Middle Eastern country I live in at the moment is purposefully creating scarcity in the housing market to keep rent prices inflated. New housing gets built at a snail's pace because this tiny country has an extremely powerful merchant class that pull strings to keep their pockets lined. It's all very much depressing, knowing I've got no chance in hell of ever owning a home. Instead, I'm paying my hard earned cash each month to fill a landlord's pockets.

But I am at least drowning my sorrows and keeping the depression at bay by making a small little oasis of calm and tranquility for myself in the form of this new TV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I've got a Sony A80J, I love it. Great screen. Would it be a dumb idea to hook my PC up to it to play videogames?