Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
BuyDig through Google Shopping has the 55" E8 for $1199 :stare: Just ordered mine

https://slickdeals.net/f/12789265-55-lg-oled55e8pua-4k-uhd-hdr-ai-smart-oled-hdtv-1199-free-shipping?src=frontpage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners

BeastOfExmoor posted:

:stare: indeed. There's another thread where people are paying about $100 less than this for open box 55" QLED sets, which is hilarious to me.

This wasn't an impulse buy for me - I just moved back to the US after working overseas, and was just waiting for the right price on a 55" C8. There weren't any good deals on OLEDs in the run-up to the Super Bowl (Walmart refurbs aside), so I just got really lucky

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners

BonoMan posted:

It's just amazing how commoditized TVs have become. I just dropped by BB for something today and the floor is just filled with rows and rows and rows of TVs. Not the display wall. The actual floor. It's like a drat grocery story for $275 50" 4K TVs. I mean yeah I know those aren't the premiere TVs but still.

I remember being so proud to drop $800 in 2008 for my first HDTV, a 32" Samsung 720p. I'm 99% sure it's this one:

https://www.samsung.com/us/pdf/lnt3242_final.pdf

It's still alive and kicking in my little cousin's room

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
IIRC the only difference is between the C8 and the E8 is that the latter has "better" audio

I still can't believe that I got my 55" E8 for $1100, this TV is incredible. The upgraded audio doesn't really matter since I got a receiver and 2.1 system

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
I kinda feel like I'm wasting my E8 by watching old seasons of Always Sunny on Hulu

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners

Yawgmoft posted:

Didn't the C9 improve a lot of HDR and gaming lag issues? Is this something I should jump on? My old Panasonic Plasma ST50 has started to have some turn on errors like not recognizing HDMI imput until cycling though a few times and I'm getting concerned.

I think the big new feature is HDMI 2.1, which is more of a big future-proofing feature than anything

I'm not a pro gamer by any means, but I play my PS4 Pro regularly on my 2018 OLED (55" E8) and it looks incredible, with no noticeable lag

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners

their regular LEDs aren't recommended, they're more expensive than Vizio or TCL for worse performance

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners

Taima posted:

Once you get that OLED in your house, don't be surprised if you want a decent sound system to go with it. I personally found it weird to have a great panel next to a sound bar sound bar in our house, so we got a nice audio setup for it and it's a whole different animal.

:same: After getting my E8, I picked up an X1400H, KEF Q350s and an SVS PB-1000 within the next month.

Destiny 2 also looks fantastic in HDR on my PS4 Pro, as does Witcher 3

edit: not HDR, but Rez Infinite is a must-play in 4K

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
My only regret with my 55" E8 is not getting a 65" model. I thought it would've been too large for my apartment, but it would've fit just fine in my current living room setup

Here's the media console I've been using - it's a bit pricey, but a good size for an apartment and very well built. A huge step up from the Ikea console I had before, which was starting to sag in the middle (from a 32" LED!)

https://www.cb2.com/congo-media-credenza/s559147

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners

Vintersorg posted:

I think I need a new TV stand. I am just using the IKEA Lack TV bench and it feels like the TV is small...? I dunno. I go to my buddies who has it on a much higher piece of furniture and it seems massive. Both 65".

A couple of us in the thread have this console: https://www.cb2.com/congo-media-credenza/s559147

Pricey, but very well built

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
Definitely keeping my eyes open for deals on the 65" C3 - I have a 55" E8 right now and it's served me very well, but I've noticed a few clusters of dead pixels here and there. Not anything that's visible from couch distance, but it gives me an excuse to upgrade. I'll probably have to get a new receiver at the same time, since I'm using an X1400H that doesn't support HDMI 2.1/eARC.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners

BonoMan posted:

What are the options for better sound that's not in bookshelf speaker form. My wife *hates* the way bookshelf speakers look by the TV. She likes a soundbar just bc aesthetically it's slim and low profile and blends into furniture. She's down for me upgrading the sound as long as it's visually pleasing.

Would she be fine with better-looking bookshelves? I just went through the same thing (over in the first home audio system thread) and ended up switching out my Q350s for LS50 Metas, which my GF likes much better looks-wise. If you don't want to get a receiver, you can get the LSX II instead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
For floor-standers, there are plenty of options here: https://www.accessories4less.com/?type=&page=category&action=&id=spkfloor&mode=&search_query=&category=&thumb_sort=store_price.asc A4L is a terrific shop - many of us have bought from them. They're the official refurb outlet for several brands, including KEF and Focal.