Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smoking_Dragon
Dec 12, 2001

WOE UNTO THEE
Pillbug
I'm considering this TV:
http://fassie.com/Sharp_AQUOS_LC-80LE844U_80_Class_3D_LED_TV_4088.html?refid=Grabber

Does anybody have any experience with it? I didn't see any reviews of that particular model on CNET.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smoking_Dragon
Dec 12, 2001

WOE UNTO THEE
Pillbug

AzCoug posted:

Last I heard Vizio's were improving in their quality and starting to become, overall, very good TV's. Is this still the case? Have they become one of the premier TV brands and something to consider?

This one gets pretty good ratings on CNET, especially for its price:

http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-tvs/vizio-e701i-a3/4505-6482_7-35477664.html

The 60" version costs half as much and is one of their editor's picks:

http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-tvs/vizio-e601i-a3/4505-6482_7-35477662.html

It should be noted the picture quality on both isn't as good as some of the other manufacturers but I imagine most people won't notice the difference.

One question I have is has anyone had any experience with DLP TVs specially the Mitsubishi 840s? I haven't found hardly any professional reviews on them and rear projection/DLP isn't even mentioned in the first post. They seem like a great value but there doesn't seem to be very much information on them so I'm worried they aren't worth it.

Smoking_Dragon
Dec 12, 2001

WOE UNTO THEE
Pillbug

AzCoug posted:

What differences might you see?

According to the articles the black levels aren't as good as higher end LED and Plasma TVs. It also suffers from uniformity issues (whatever that means).

quote:

I have a JVC 62" DLP right now that I am looking to replace. I've had it for about 6-7 years. Replaced the bulb once (Approx. $200). As of about 2 years ago I did get a large yellow ring in the screen. Looked into it and in order to replace it, I am basically replacing the main component of the TV, which was not cost effective. I'm not sure how rare this is, but you can really only notice it against white backgrounds. Nonetheless, if you keep replacing the bulbs when needed, it's the type of TV that could last a LONG time.

As far as picture quality goes, I thought it was very comparable at the time but compared to the TV's today it could be better. I have seen some of the new DLP's and they seem to look really nice, especially for the value. Just depends if you want to be trendy and have a TV on your wall or you don't mind taking up a little more space and taking advantage of the value.

I'd actually prefer it sit on a stand, it makes it a lot easier to hook-up stuff to it. My current TV is from 2004 so pretty much no matter what TV I get it will be a lot thinner.

Smoking_Dragon fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jan 7, 2013

Smoking_Dragon
Dec 12, 2001

WOE UNTO THEE
Pillbug
I just got this TV from Best Buy:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Sharp+-...CFQ0GnQodQhUA8g

I was able to get it for about $4,000 (plus tax) by getting them to price match BuySquad.com. I actually had to go to a couple different Best Buys before I found a manager willing to match that price. It seems their "official" policy on price matching is only to match local retailers price or Amazon's, if anyone else wants to buy from them don't be afraid to visit a couple different stores if one store isn't playing ball. I didn't get the GeekSquad warranty, is it even worth considering? They also tried to sell me a $300 set of HDMI cables because they were silver lined and supposedly cheaper ones will look crappy on an 80" TV. They also said the cheaper ones don't support 120hz or 240hz. I'm assuming that's total bullshit and the $2 to $5 ones you can get at Monoprice will work just fine, is that correct?

It comes on Tuesday and I'm pretty excited!

Smoking_Dragon fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Jan 14, 2013