Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

Costco has the 64" Samsung PN64E533D2 plasma for 1049. I am looking for a TV to fill an entertainment center that I got, and this looks like it may fit the bill. AVS forums says it uses the panel from the E500 series and not the lame E300 one, and it is just cut down feature wise to get the cost under control. Anybody have a E500 or this model and can speak to things like motion, PQ, input lag, and anything else?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

Renzuko posted:

not quite, I talked to a dude who works at costco one time, and apparently costco gets the same product, with a slightly different isbn thing, which explains why when I tried to find a laptop of theirs via my phone I just got costco results.

Yeah you wont find that very model elsewhere, but it is based on a standard retail variant. It was discounted 250 to 1050. Picked it up on the strength of the e500 panel, trip report pending.

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

That 64" Samsung Plasma is very nice. The standard color settings are too dim and way too red, but after some adjustment it is mighty fine. The bad news is that now I see the compression on my DVRed OTA HD broadcasts during motion scenes since the picture is so large. BluRays looks great, though. Bad news there is that I found out that many of my new BluRays don't have any DTS or Dolby tracks, and my receiver doesn't support DTS-MA or Dolby-HD. Ugh. I just dropped over 2.5 large remodeling the living room and classing it up with furniture and a bigger display, I don't want to have to buy a receiver too... but I will :(

firstworldproblems.txt

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

This is a good tip. It has been long time since I went through my menus to configure my BD player sound (at least 8 firmware revisions, by my count), so I will dig into an updated owner's manual for my Samsung BD-P1600.

Also, if you find yourself in 2008 and buying a BD player, don't buy a Samsung BD-P1600.

Edit: that did it! Thanks for the tip.

Turnquiet fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Feb 1, 2013

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

Has anyone had Costco Concierge replace a TV for them? I bought a 64" Samsung Plasma for 1100 (1400-300 instant rebate) with teh 5 year squaretrade warranty, and last week it just shut off. We went through the warranty process and it is in a "cannot repair state." Do they give you back the money you bought, or replace your TV?

Its a bummer that there are no more plasmas because the LCDs just don't look as good. Either way, either via a replacement or refund I am getting another large TV and whereas I can stretch a bit to buy a higher-quality 65" LCD to make up for the innate loss of quality by stepping to LCD from plasma I just want a monitor that looks great since everything is run through my receiver anyway fro sound and HDMI switching. So, suggestions I guess.

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

I put my 64" plasma over a fireplace just lime yours and it turned out great. Just set it on a 15 degree tilt down and it is plenty comfy from a sofa 14+ feet away sitting or laying down. I will post a pic if I find one.

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

It's bonus season, and I have remained strong since buying the last generation of plasmas at 64" a long while back. The 77" C8 is the first TV that covers my entire feature checklist, so that is heading my way.

Problem is my wife wants a wall mount that will let her pull it out and angle it to the kitchen. Are the angling wall mounts like-

https://www.costco.com/MW-Mounts-42%22---90%22-Full-Motion-TV-Mount.product.100035597.html

or

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073QX1ZMS/ref=psdc_760796_t1_B001CKL9U2

intended for folk to reposition them on occasion? Or are they mainly adjustable so you can position them once and let them be? Since this is an ill-advised luxury item, I want to make sure whatever mount it sits on is actually designed for occasional fiddling. Any recommendations?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

Got my LG 77C8 yesterday, and aside from the size and picture quality, I'm loving the apps. Once I figured out ARC- which works completely for auto power-on/off and volume control via the TV's remote- I started to wonder why I even needed the Apple TV 4k anymore- all the apps we use on the ATV4k are on the TV itself, and offer a pretty good experience out of the box. Perhaps only iTunes 4k rentals, but I suppose I could rent stuff on Amazon Prime...?