Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

The Jenk posted:

I'm considering picking up a Sony KDL46HX853 for myself. It has fairly glowing reviews around the internet (Though they mostly seem to mention disappointing sound, which is slightly worrying) Has anyone got anyone here got any experience with this TV?

Get a soundbar with a subwoofer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
I bought this Sony soundbar last fall
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003C1AO2I/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and this Samsung TV (contest win) is on its way next week
http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-UN55F8000-55-Inch-1080p-240Hz/dp/B00BCGRLUI/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1375909288

What blu-ray player should I get?

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Mister Macys posted:

Wirecutter says the Sony BDP-S5100 for ~$115. I have last year's mid-price model (BDP-590), and have no complaints so far, aside from how loving wide it is.
No joke; at 17 inches it's as wide as my Pioneer 5-disc player, and my receiver.

HFX posted:

I have this model. It is pretty good, but occasionally will lockup (usually seems to be in combination with netflix). Fortunately, it is a quick reset by holding down the power button until it does. The top on it prevents you from stacking anything else on it, but hopefully that isn't an issue. It isn't as zippy at the 790, but it is very solid and respectable. I'd put a recommend on it for $115 (which is what I bought mine for on sale back in May).

This looks good. Mainly looking for something to watch 3D with.
I like that it's wide. Undersized players strike me as weird.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Don Tacorleone posted:

Currently looking at the Samsung UNF55F8000. Don't really want the 3d or smart tv features, but seems like most 240hz available in my area come bundled with those.
I have this. I don't play games, but movies and sports have been great. Netflix and Amazon Prime are nice and simple.
What sucks: didn't come with the full size remote, stand has a massive footprint.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Don Tacorleone posted:

Bah Gawd, was I wrong about the 3D - a friend brought over a demo 3D vid, plugged it into the USB port, and I was blown away how cool it looked. Holy poo poo I demand all movies be 3D now.

I gave it a half assed shot to play 3D content from YouTube but it didn't seem to work from my hdmi connection, but playing from USB seems to work everytime.

Smart Tv gestures and voice control are still poo poo though
Rewatch Life of Pi.

Also, have you set up youtube to play on TV? Pair your youtube account with the TV, then fire up the TV's youtube app. On your computer, when you want to fullscreen a video, there will be another option to watch on your TV. This works on tablets and phones as well, but I don't have anything that fancy.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Sounds like the soap opera effect to me.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Aphrodite posted:

Just about every other retailer goes with the TruMotion/CMR/MotionFlow/etc. number, which is usually double the real rate.
My Samsung's is a comical 1200

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Mental Midget posted:

I'm thinking of ordering this 50" 4K TV today.
first new TV since 2004 and can't wait until Black Friday?

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

JayJay posted:

So, I ended up buying a Samsung UN46F8000. I was on the edge about this TV for a while because of the cost, but then I got a bestbuy 10% off clearance coupon AND found a 46'' f8000 for $1500 due to having no cables/remote/everything. Turns out, they had the entire f8000 accessory kit, 3d glasses and all. Just no box. I picked up a 2 year plan for $170 and I had a $200 gift card so my total came to about $1350 with tax for this beautiful TV + 2 years protection. 24 months no finance and 5x points for new years, which will earn me another 100 dollars in BB gift cards. I can still cancel the protection if I find a better square trade deal or something, but I had a bestbuy protection plan for an old TV and it went bad at the end of the 2 year period, best buy flat out replaced it with a new model. Was pretty happy with the service.

Anyway, this TV is amazing. I have never seen an LED display such an amazing picture. Motion is incredible, colors are dead on, APPs are actually pretty decent and run fast as hell. I've actually stopped using my PS3 for streaming now. The 3d mode is definitely the best ive seen on a TV and actually makes me want to buy 3d movies now, it helps that the glasses are light and comfortable. I can't pull my rear end away from the couch now and I am even considering moving my computer to the living room so I can steam-game on it.

Heres a picture:

If you don't have it, you can register with Samsung and they'll mail you a regular remote. I tend to use it more often.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Veskit posted:

Alright, gently caress this is intimidating.

So I am officially ready to buy my first really big screen TV starting next week. I have budgeted aside an ABSOLUTE WILL NOT SPEND MORE THAN 900 dollars pre tax for this beast. Here are my questions, and I'll try to research from this starting point, but if not recommendations would be super helpful so thank you here we go!

1) I'd prefer to get it at costco just for peace of mind with the return policy and also the initial warranty, but then travel would be a pain. In general could i somehow make up for their prices online that would include shipping and an equitable warranty, or just stick to theirs?

2) The key things is that it is needs to do is be 50 inches, and allow me to stream hockey. I don't have cable and have no plans on it. I have a nexus 7 (2013), so I think I can handle it like that, but I'm not sure if that's a better option, hooking up a media computer eventually or finding a TV with a gamecenter app.

3) I have no systems but eventually I'd like one.

1080P and all that jazz. Thank you so much everyone, if you could just point me in directions I'll start looking.

Lastly I heard this is the best time of year to look for a tv so that's why I'm doing it now instead of later.

Last time I went to costco, I saw a 4K no name tv in that price range.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

ijii posted:

I know that with Samsung SmartTVs they do have both Netflix and HuluPlus

I don't have Hulu Plus, but Netflix and Amazon Prime are great on my Samsung Smart TV.
Amazon Prime is really neat with a Kindle Fire HDX. It works kinda like Chromecast.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Avian Pneumonia posted:

This might be more of a HTPC question?

But what would be the best way to play .mkv files without a computer? Is that possible? I don't care at all about hulu or netflix or roku as I have many large .mkv files but it seems like even the most high end video cards can't output to a resolution higher than would be displayable on a 30" monitor/tv.

What would be my best alternative if I wanted to watch these files on a legitimate teleivsion over 30 inches?

I recently bought a Dell Venue 11 Pro to handle this. I needed a laptop anyway. Plays my all my 10bit .mkv's over hdmi. I tried miracast, but it sucked.
I imagine the Dell Venue 8 would handle it the same, it's only $200

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

jcschick posted:

Am I stuck with Best Buy for this?
Local TV store?

TheGoatFeeder posted:

Read the last few pages to try and get upto speed, but just going to ask my question now.

Not the most knowledgable about TV's outside of the basics and thought this was the best place to ask. I've had my current tv for about 8 or 9 years or so (52" Pioneer), and i'm ready to get a new one, because it seems in that time things will have moved along somewhat.

I mostly use it for watching sport, playing video games (xbox one and ps3), and streaming movies and tv etc on netflix. Ideally I don't want to get anything smaller than what I currently have, and am not afraid to spend a decent amount of money since when i'm not working we use the tv an awful lot etc.

On a related note, i'm thinking of overhauling my sound system at the same time. Currently got a 5.1 set up that I got at the same time as the tv, but now wondering if a sound bar may be the way to go, or am I best sticking with 5.1 and getting a new system?

I'm sure this thread gets filled with these questions all the time, just wondered what I should be looking for, and if there were any recommendations knocking about, i'm in the UK by the way.

Thanks in advance!

Does your sound system have ARC? Saves looking for a remote.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

What's the general consensus opinion regarding this curved-screen business? Is it gonna be a common thing 10 or 20 years from now, or will flat screens probably come out on top? Or will it only exist in the most expensive high-end models?

I'm trying to figure out if a curved-screen LED TV is a better purchase than a flat-screen LED in the long-term.

If your TV doesn't go from flat to curved with a voice command, why bother?

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Basket of Kittens posted:

I do have the hardware for that, still bulkier than a soundbar, but if this doesn't work out I'd consider your idea and find a way to make more room

But unfortunately the new Vizio smart TV doesn't even appear to have analog out, just in, and it otherwise seems to be "the" small smart TV option for 2014

http://www.amazon.com/VIZIO-E241i-B...s=vizio+24+inch

I think that TV has digital audio out via HDMI/ARC. So connecting to a soundbar via HDMI should work.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Shapur posted:

Are the Samsung F8000s worth the price? I'm looking at picking up this UN55F8000. Will mostly be used for watching sports and movies along with a bit of PS4

I love mine. Don't play video games but sports look amazing.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Nutmeg posted:

I've found deinterlacing like 1080i60 brings the 24fps to your face depending on what programming is on cable at the time like a black womans Phillipe french dip-looking vagina thats been left in the sun for 4 hours. Really good stuff these days.

What the fudge

edit:

So if my tablet is hooked up to my 240hz TV, my TV says it's connected at 1080/60p.
If I play video from my tablet at 24 or 30fps, what kind of magic is my TV doing?

Dr Tran fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Jul 8, 2014

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
240hz > 4k

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

dundun posted:

Anyone having issues with the Amazon Instant Video app on Samsung tvs? It worked fine previously, now it will constantly buffer every 5-10 seconds. I know its not my internet connection because the app works fine on my PS4.

On my black remote, the Amazon button doesn't work. Haven't had any buffering problems though.