Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
Any recommendations for a 55 or 65 inch tv to replace our old 40 inch Samsung POS? Viewing distance is around 10 feet. Living room use case: tv, movies, video games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde

qbert posted:

What is your price range? The OLEDs from LG, Samsung, and Sony are all solid recommendations.

Yeah I guess I was originally hoping for under $1,000. The $1300-$1600 I’m seeing for th LG C3 and Sony Bravia in that size is doable. Is OLED worth it?

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde

OK.

What’s the right size for an 11 foot viewing distance? This is our only living room so I guess the concern is having a big tv dominate the room too much

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde

Number_6 posted:

I have a 55" at a 9-10' foot distance, and it's fine for TV shows (which generally tend to be shot with more close-ups and TV-friendly aspect ratios). But for movies I often would like a larger screen, but it would be difficult (well, awkward) for me to make enough space for anything larger than 55." In short, if you like movies and have the space, a 65" (or larger) would be better.

Then again I spent my first 35 years of life watching TVs that were 27" or smaller, and at the time it seemed OK.

OK just pulled the trigger on a 65” LG C3!

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
Any recommendations for a soundbar or soundbar plus surround sound thingamajig?

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
Not sure if this is the right thread but any suggestions for an UHD blu ray player? I have an LG C3 so I’d like something that will play my UHD star trek blu rays nicely. I just can’t bring myself to read deeply into the undoubtedly enormous and life changing differences between the $150 players and the $500 players

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde

TheOneVader posted:

I bought a Sony X700 and it was mostly fine, but on a handful of occasions it would stop towards the end of the movie as it likely changed to the next layer. I ended up buying a Panasonic UB-820 on Black Friday sale and it's been flawless. I got it because it supports Dolby Vision automatic switching (you have to do this manually on the Sony) and the HDR optimizer.

I dithered during the black friday sale for the UB-820 and now they’re $500 :smith:

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
I was thinking about getting an NVidia Shield— doesn’t it support Dolby Vision? https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/shield/support/shield-tv/enable-dolby-vision-hdr10-on-shield/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
OK I think I follow some of that— thanks. What do you recommend then?