Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

Does anyone know how the black levels in really old plasma TVs compare to the current crop? My mom has an ancient 37in Panasonic plasma that she bought for like $4000 in 2003 or 2004 and decided now she's finally ready to replace it with something larger. She's not a huge videophile or anything so I was going to recommend a Vizio E601i-A3 (anyone have one of these?) as a bang-for-your-buck solution. The reviews on that TV say the black levels aren't great though, so I'm wondering if this modern lower-end LED TV might actually have worse black levels than what she already has. She only watches the TV at night, so black levels are probably the biggest consideration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

How likely am I to notice a brightness deficit in the cheaper LG OLEDs coming from a 2010 Panasonica Viera plasma?

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

I'll be buying a new TV for the first time in 11 years whenever the PS5 is released. It sounds like OLED is currently the gold standard, but cumulative burn-in seems to be unavoidable according to countless firsthand testimonials from people using their sets a normal amount and with varied content.

I'm not a heavy user (less than 1hr/night on average), but as someone who tends to keep his TV for a decade, LED is probably the safest choice for me, right?

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

Speaking of receivers, would I be missing out on anything by using my existing 10 year old receiver (Yamaha V667) with a brand new TV? I imagine I couldn’t plug a PS5 into directly into it since it isn’t built to pass 4K signals. Would connecting the PS5 directly to the TV and then using the optical out on the TV to send sound back to the receiver work just as well?

Edit: I guess I could use HDMI Audio Return Channel instead of optical too, if one is better than the other.

Tacier fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Apr 13, 2020

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

Taima posted:

It's been about a year since I got a C9 and I just wanted to say I'm still amazed every single time I use this TV. It's also the only tech device I own that's so future proof that it gets better with time (HDMI 2.1 gaming incoming in Q3-Q4 over a year after purchase).

OLED is the real deal. It's one of the best tech purchases I've EVER made, and I hope someday they're affordable enough for everyone to own one. Fortunately it looks like that day should be here within a couple of years.

The only downside is that it makes other displays look like poo poo.

Stop it. I’m trying to convince myself to be responsible and buy a budget TV in November to replace my 10 year old plasma and every time someone gushes about their OLED my resolve gets weaker.

Probably no chance the 65” CX goes on sale for under $1600 by then, right?

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

American McGay posted:

Is there a specific feature of the X that you're interested in? A 65" C9 hovers around 1600-1800 on sale right now.

I won’t have room for it until I move into a new apartment in a few months and I won’t have a gaming console (which will probably account for 50% of its usage) until PS5 is released.

Since I’m happy to wait until Nov/Dec, I figured I’d go with the CX even if it doesn’t offer any big upgrades. I think I read something about 120hz and black frame insertion? Probably stuff I’d never notice, but still.

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

Truman Sticks posted:

I've never understood when people gamble on shady sites. What are they hoping to save in a best case scenario and is it worth the risk?

I got my last TV for $100 less than the closest competitor, but it did cost me 5 hours on the phone with my credit card company while I dealt with the fraudulent charges that popped up after the store sold my CC number.

I don’t recommend it.

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

DEUSFORORUM posted:

I am looking to buy my first OLED (65") and I am on the fence between a B9 for $1799, a CX for $2299, or waiting for the BX to come out. What do I lose or gain for each option?

Lots of people online have documented all the subtle differences between the B9 and C9, so I’d refer you to them. I’m not aware of any direct comparisons between the B9 and BX yet. I’d look for a better price than $1799 on the B9 though since that’s more in line with what I’d expect to pay for a C9 at this point in the product cycle.

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

Veskit posted:

Is the lg c9 100 dollars better than the b9? I haven’t been able to do a side by side in person

Yes.

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

DEUSFORORUM posted:

I am eyeing a 65" CX for $1950. Is there any reason to expect a better deal than that or a much cheaper price on the BX when it finally comes out.

It’ll likely drop below that if you can wait until Oct/Nov. If you want to have it for the summer that sounds like a good price.

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

I don’t need the CX to be better. I just want it to be cheaper. Like, 65” for $1700 by Black Friday. I believe in you LG.

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

Are OLEDs the only way to get good, low-latency HDR in game mode? It seems like all the other TVs either disable local dimming in game mode or it adds enough latency to be a dealbreaker.

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

I’d love to buy that Sony X900h, but the stand width only leaves a half inch on either side of my TV console, which I’m pretty sure would give me anxiety.

Weird that their European model includes a narrower stand configuration that the US doesn’t get.

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

American McGay posted:

It's a physics thing.

Why are European physics different though?

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

Animale posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSpxxuR8H7U
It seems like the Hisense H9G is the winner over the TCL 6 series on the good budget tv showdown this year.

Hisense quality control is still garbage though from what I understand.

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

Incessant Excess posted:

Don't know about TCL specifically but it's not uncommon for manufacturers to announce the new lineup during CES (jan 11th - 14th) and launch around march/april.

TCL tends to announce later in the year. The new 6-series just became widely available this fall, so expect it to be 8 months before the 2021 6-series is available.

They might announce their new 8 series sooner than that though since it never released this year.

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

I went to Best Buy to check out new TVs in person for the first time in a decade and couldn’t see any difference in picture quality between the LG CX and the Sony x900h in the demo footage with the teapot and the honeycomb. People describe the CX as being in a different league, so is it likely that the advantages of OLED just weren’t visible in the super brightly lit store? Or do I not have a discerning eye?

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

VectorSigma posted:

How sensitive are you to sound latency? The CX adds 60-ish ms lag to any audio passing through it, even with eARC. This isn't an issue with video content, but with real-time output you'll definitely see things like gunshot sounds occurring noticeably later than the muzzle flash.

Are there TVs that don’t have this latency issue with eARC or is it just part of the deal?

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

Ultimate Mango posted:

I think it is time to move along my 2010 55” panny plasma.

Am I crazy thinking that a 75” TCL is the right call even though I know the picture quality of the OLED is the only thing that gets close to my plasma experience?

Edit: I’m also hoping to keep this TV and the likely accompanying receiver and other upgrades for a decade if possible

I wouldn’t be comfortable with an OLED with that usage, but I’m nervous about getting a C1 with 1hr/day usage, so clearly hyper-cautious. The TCL 6-series is solid, but if I were watching a lot of TV I’d probably gravitate toward a Sony set since they seem to have the best upscaling.

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

Bummed because I just learned the Sony X95J won't offer a narrow stand position in the 65" version. I wonder if I'm in a tiny minority as someone who can only buy TVs with a narrow or center stand or if these brands are actually losing a non-negligible number of sales from not offering it. That was going to be my next TV and now it's not.

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

What do people mean when they talk about the hypothetical “dark room” where OLED carries the biggest advantage? Does it refer to total darkness with all the lights off? Do people watch movies or play games like that? I’ve always watched movies in a room with a soft light source that would make it just light enough to read a book (though you wouldn’t want to). Is that amount of light effectively leveling the playing field between OLED and LED blacks? I already know I can’t tell any difference between those technologies in a bright room (i.e. Best Buy).

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

Space Racist posted:

It’s that time of year again, when LG OLEDs go on sale and I tempt myself with questionable financial decisions.

What do you all think? Worthwhile upgrade, or better to hold out another year or two*?

*This is almost certainly what I’ll actually be doing, but I’m curious to get some outside opinions.

I’m using a 42” plasma from 2010 and even I’m considering pushing back my upgrade another year. This just feels like a stagnant year for TVs with nobody really bringing anything new to the table.

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

codo27 posted:

What are you

Someone who hasn’t turned his TV on in a year because he lives alone and watches Netflix on his iPad.

The main things I’m waiting for are the G1 OLED panel to trickle down to the C1 for better burn-in protection or for Sony to make a drat LED TV with more than 60 dimming zones. I’ll take either.

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

Maybe a dumb question, but why is a panel with local dimming better than a cheaper panel without local dimming which has a native contrast good enough that it matches the other panel with local dimming turned on.

In other words, if one panel has 6000:1 contrast with local dimming on and the other has the same contrast ratio with local dimming off, is there still an advantage to the more expensive local dimming panel? I see this all the time on rtings.

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

Space Racist posted:

Sigh. Trying to shop for 4K/120 Hz TVs is so frustrating.

There are no TVs without compromises this year if you want 4K/120, burn-in peace of mind, problem free eARC, and reliable image/panel quality. Time flies though and the 2022 sets will be out before you know it.

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

Space Racist posted:

VRR support is still “coming soon” but since the X900H actually started receiving it recently that makes me more okay with waiting on that feature.

Just a note that Sony’s X900H firmware update to add VRR only works with local dimming disabled. I don’t think anyone knows if that’ll also be the case with the X90J, but it’s something to keep an eye on if it’s important to you.

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

Do any of you guys game on a Sony A80j? I’m nearly ready to pull the trigger on one, but I’m terrified by reports of the screen dimming by 50% when the TV detects a HUD or static game element. Evidently LG TVs dim only the HUD, but Sony dims the whole drat screen, aggressively.

I can’t figure out if this is an edge case or something regularly encountered though. Any firsthand knowledge?

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

120hz means you don’t have 3/2 pull down on 24fps content, resulting in smoother panning shots. It’ll be occasionally noticeable.

Some new console titles are also supporting a 40fps mode between the 30fps “performance” and 60fps “quality” modes which looks to be a great compromise between the two. You can only use it on a 120hz panel.

It allows for a better black frame insertion implementation as well. All nice features to have. Also, the x90j is almost definitely worth the extra scratch over the x85j for local dimming alone, not to mention the updated processor.

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

The a80j actually looks a little better than the C1 in SDR games, which is all the switch supports, whereas the C1 is a bit better in HDR and has more gaming features. If the Sony can be had for the same price as the C1, I’d get the Sony. Otherwise get the C1.

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

I’m wary that Sony’s 2022 mini-LEDs seem to use the same XR processor as last year and are being touted as “VRR compatible”. The question is: Will VRR disable local dimming or other features like the x900h? Could Sony possibly be that terrible? It seems like that Mediatek SoC just can’t do it.

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

tehinternet posted:

I’ve got a C1 in my bedroom — I’d like to take advantage of pre-super bowl sales and get a top tier OLED at 75-85”. Are any other displays in that same quality range that I should be looking at besides the C1/G1?

Sony A80j.

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

Fozzy The Bear posted:

Costco has a 75" LG for $850 with a $50 gift card bonus. I have a $400 gift card, so I would only pay $450.
https://www.costco.com/.product.100796935.html?&EMID=B2C_2022_0124_FebMailerStarts

Talk me out of this purchase. I currently have a 55", I almost never watch any 4K content. 99% of my watching is Plex, Youtube, Netflix.

Would it transfer my living room into a movie theater like experience? Or not worth the money?

Please don’t buy an edge-lit TV in TYOOL 2022.

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

Slig posted:

Thank you, I was thinking this but part of my brain went into misguided future-proofing thoughts.

LG C1 looks like it sits low. Are there some good low profile soundbar options or should I just elevate the screen higher? I'm not in a place where I can wall mount.

Also in regards to soundbar, does LG C1 play nice with other brands or am I going to be forced into an LG soundbar?

The better soundbars are are going to be too tall without elevating the screen. The C2 has a narrower stand which should make it easier to put it on top of something, but lack of soundbar compatibility is the main reason I’m getting an A80k instead.

It’ll work just fine with any brand of sound bar though.

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

MikusR posted:

The only tv/soundbar pairings from same maker (i think) that work better together are samsung and sony. They can turn tv into center channel.

And evidently Samsung is the only one who’s implementing it well. Although the A80k will have a dedicated center channel actuator instead of just L/R, so maybe that’ll improve the TV’s performance as a center.

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

Ugh, I was set on the A80k or C2, but early reviews of the A95k make QD-OLED sound like a game-changer. Maybe I’ll just grab something cheap to replace my 42” plasma for the next couple years while I wait for prices to drop. Otherwise I’ll surely get buyers remorse over the inferior color saturation of my traditional OLED.

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

Ryuga Death posted:

I plan to use the tv for a combination of watching youtube, playing games on my consoles (most likely just the ps4 pro for now), and watching my regular bluray stuff (I don't have any 4k blurays) on the same console.

Should this alone make me switch over to the LG brand? What makes the Sony better for movies and the LGs better for gaming?

Also, what is a comparable LG oled model to the A80J?

The differences for gaming are minimal at this point now that Sony has updated its firmware to include VRR. LG has more HDMI 2.1 ports and a logo dimming feature that you can turn off, as opposed to Sony’s non-defeatable full screen dimming when it detects bright static screen elements. I don’t think it’s a problem for most, but certain sports games seem to create a distracting amount of screen dimming on Sony’s OLEDs.

The LG C1 is the model equivalent to the A80J.

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

barnold posted:

alright ya bastards you got me....I originally was going to pick up a Sony X85K but then I was at Best Buy and there it was, an open box 48" LG C1. none new in box, but the guy said someone had bought this one, brought it home for a day, decided they wanted something a little bigger and brought it back. who knows, he was probably just saying that to entice me to buy it. but it worked

The coveted open-box OLED with minimal hours on the set, no burn in, and no display flaws. Congratulations.

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

Qubee posted:

Realistically speaking, when can I expect the price to drop on Sony A80J model TVs? The A80K is out now, I was expecting a fair discount on 2021 A80Js but there has been nothing for almost a whole month.

They were $1375 or something on Amazon just the other week for the 65”. You had to add to your card to see the price.

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

The A80k just came out and a consensus hasn’t been reached yet on its performance. It’s not even entirely clear yet whether it’s an upgrade over the A80j or if it’s fully a carryover model that’s using a slightly different panel (in the 55” and 65” sizes).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

Google Butt posted:

I'm looking at the A1 or B2 at Costco, both appear to be the same price at the moment, $2300. Is there a reason to get one over the other?

As has been mentioned, the B2 is an upgrade over the A1 in every way. There’s no question which to buy at the same price.