Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
Does anyone elses KS8000 have intermittent video issues with video files (through the Plex app) or OTA TV? What it seems like is that if it's a lower quality file, like 720p, or something that is compressed, instead of just seeing some blocky compression, the image just looks like the screen can't understand what is supposed to be displayed, and goes all cockeyed for like a split second. If it happens once a show it's no big deal because it's so quick, but if it happens every few minutes or so it gets mildly annoying. It doesn't seem to happen on higher quality things, like if I watch a whole 1080p movie or stream a 4k show through the Amazon app. I'm not sure if it's the Plex app doing something weird (this seems less likely because it will happen when using the antenna too), the source files just being lovely, or if it's just that the TV can't handle upscaling a 720p file with compression into 4k so it wigs out.

Elysium fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Mar 7, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
I think super wide viewing angle is a little overrated. If you're the kind of person that is going to crowd into a room to watch a movie from a 70 degree angle, I think you can deal with the colors being a little off.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
The Grand Tour

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
Don't put your TV above the fireplace.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003

eddiewalker posted:

“Bug Game” sales are live at bestbuy. TCL 6 series 65” is back to $800, same as Thanksgiving.

They also added a listing for the new 75” 6 series, but the last 10 inches costs a $1000 premium.

It's 10" but it's 33% more screen. Of course, if you buy two 65s that's 100% more screen...

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
Judging by my local Craigslist you’ll be lucky to get 100.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
Looking for a TV for my garage (which is a gym/hangout space). Quality isn't really that much of a factor, really mainly looking for size and price.

Looks like I could get the 55" TCL 4 series for $296 with no tax and free shipping from Rakuten. The 49" 5 series for 299 from best buy (probably tax). Or the super budget option 43" Toshiba 43LF621U19 for $189 from ebay.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
The TCL 49" S405 is apparently on in-store clearance at Target for $184.

Not that any Targets within 20 miles of me have any in stock. I was standing in a Target with a rep who looked at inventory and said one store had 4 in stock, and then I called them and they said they had none. I about 70% believe she just put the phone down for 20s and didn't even check. He offered me the display model, but it's been on display for 2 years so that wasn't gonna happen.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
Dunno but that model is labeled the "S421" and I posted last page about Rakuten selling the "S405" for $296.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003

GreenNight posted:

https://www.samsung.com/us/televisi...273029d0a240611

98" Class Q900 QLED Smart 8K UHD TV (2019)

Price: $ 69,999.99
You Save: $ 30,000

The pictures are so useless for scale, at least throw a banana in there.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
My father in law keeps changing my tv settings from Movie mode with all the bullshit turned off to full dynamic soap opera eye burning madness. Am I legally allowed to murder him or should a simple maiming suffice?

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
My Vizio E601i-A3's power just went out and won't come back on. Years ago, I had a somewhat similar problem, so I ordered a new Power Supply Board and put it in... but it was dead so I RMA'd it. I then put the old Power Supply Board back in while they sent me a replacement and it magically started working again and kept working for the next several years until now. So I happened to have a brand new unopened Power Supply Board sitting in my closet, so I popped it in, and I got power back... for about 3 minutes and then this one died as well. I've done all the jiggling and uplugging and plugging in of connectors and cords I can do, and I even tried replacing the power button board in case that was it.

So, is there anything else I can do at this point to get it working, or if it is dead, is there anything I should do with this TV other than put it on the curb for someone to take?

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
I bought my first real tv around 2012 and was excited to find a 60” set for under $1000. That tv stopped powering on a few weeks ago and I can replace it for $300 with one that does 4K now.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
Is there a Projector/Home Theater thread? Thinking of going projector since my basement TV died.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
To me, if we're talking about for comparable prices, there are no features that compare to 10 extra inches, unless you are talking about 1080 to 4K or upgrading to OLED. And since you are replacing a really old set it will look nicer even if it doesn’t have the newer HDR or whatever. You get used to the size very quickly when it initially feels big.

Elysium fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Nov 20, 2019

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
You can easily pick up a 50 or 55 inch tv for $500 that will be 4K and HDR, like a TCL 4/5/6 series.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It’s not the end of the world to pick up a 5 series for $350.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
People certainly try to sell them but I honestly don't know who's buying when you can get brand new 50" tvs for under $200.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003

Sirotan posted:

I needed something more tangible to figure out what size TV would work in my living room, so I cut out the exact dimensions of a 65" and 75" TV from kraft paper and taped it onto the wall.

Looks high, try moving it down 6-12 inches.