Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

False
Oct 6, 2003
i have friends who will pull magazine models wearing headphones off of trains without even speaking the same language as them. Friends who will show up in a town after hitchhiking cross country for 3 days without showering and pull two girls working
Between my dad and I we have now spent ~10hrs trying to set-various aspects of our new HD system and Im most stuck on the Harmony remote. I would like to punch the nerd at Cnet.com who said you absolutely must have one of these and "they are very easy to set up". Worst thought out software ever - an absolute amateur clusterfuck. Example and tutorial screens are wrong (antenna is never an input option despite it being shown in the diagram), the online interface is completely different from the downloadable one ( the online interface has a Antenna/Cable in input buried in its settings but the downloadable one doesn't), the presets the SW tries to associate with your device are completely wrong, labeling is confusing or wrong (Input and Channel 3 are completely different Harmony) etc. etc.

Also, we got a Panasonic P50 and then a matching Panasonic Blue-ray player because the we needed wifi and wouldn't mind Blue-ray (good move not including wifi out of the box on a "smartTV"Panasonic) and despite Netflix being built into both devices and integrated into the remote - the Netflix user login screen is semi broken. The onscreen cursor is invisible when entering text (for you username and password) so you can't see what letter/symbol you are selecting. Cue 30 minutes of me blindly counting tiles to enter my user info while my family stare at me and mutter about returning everything.

At this point I'm just trying to get the Harmony to turn on the TV, cable box, and sound-bar.

False fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Jan 2, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

False
Oct 6, 2003
i have friends who will pull magazine models wearing headphones off of trains without even speaking the same language as them. Friends who will show up in a town after hitchhiking cross country for 3 days without showering and pull two girls working
I cant seem to find a TV audio thread.

Whats the best soundbar / speaker set up for >150? Our TV's speakers suck (of course) and we'd like the ability to also stream music over blue-tooth.
The reviews I saw suggested soundbars aren't great for music as compared to individual speaker set-ups but open to any suggestions.

False
Oct 6, 2003

Kaboobi posted:

Well I just got a bonus, my tax return, and the LG OLED55B6P dropped to $1400 and I won't pay any sales tax on it through Adorama. Guess I own a new TV now.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/391612997532

Whats the catch? Its $2,300 on Adorama's site (I live in NYC so I was curious if I could just go get one). Haven't bought a TV in 16 years so...kind of excited to be an adult and stop watching poo poo on my laptop.

False
Oct 6, 2003
I have a weird combination of influences in my "what tv should I get" questions (mostly a goofy room layout). Any thoughts / opinions appreciated.

Am I going to hate myself in 6 months if I get a 49" tv instead of a 55? It seems like everyone says get 55" or higher / under 55"'s have older tech. My gf is adamant that a 55" will take up too much space, jut out into the room, and block the view.
Is the Samsung UN49MU8000 a good choice (the 55" gets good reviews but I was worried maybe the panels are different for smaller sizes)? I have to get a Samsung bc we have a ~30% discount through work.

TV link: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06X9VCP3W?tag=rtings-tv-pc11a-20&ie=UTF8

My apartment has a janky layout which means the couch has to run parallel to the TV (meaning my gf is usually 4-5 feet from the TV and I'm 5-6) while the TV has to sit on an angle in front of a giant ac unit and jut-outs into the room.

Linked pictures
https://imgur.com/a/kkeYI

Also, how hard is it to attach a different legs to a TV (ie. can you attach a different set of legs to the wallmount points on the tv)? Because the TV sits at an angle to the wall I want to have it sit on a central pedestal to save space / so I can rotate the TV a few degrees (the UN49MU8000 has feet on the ends of the TV which would preclude the above).

False fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Feb 12, 2018

False
Oct 6, 2003

comper posted:

You can’t switch the couch and dresser around?
Unfortunately not. GF wants the couch where we can watch the sun set and the dresser is too tall.