Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
Question for anyone that may have a Samsung UN55D8000 and a ps4. What settings are you using for RGB/YCbCr range? I have my ps4 connected to a Yamaha RX-V373 receiver which is connected to my TV. I have been using different settings on both the TV and ps4 (I'm working with the assumption that the TV's HDMI Black level setting is low = full range, while normal = limited range). I have been watching streaming video using the Crunchyroll app and playing Killzone and Contrast. Using the limited setting on ps4 with the TV HDMI black level on LOW seems okay but seems a bit washed out and in some instances blacks are more greyish in tone. While having the ps4 on limited and TV on Normal makes it look way too washed out and blacks are pretty much greyish in some instances. The full setting on ps4 with TV on low produces deeper blacks and vibrant colors but in games it seems borderline too dark. Having the ps4 on full range with the TV on normal again looks way too washed out with greyish black levels.

Oddly enough, when watching Blurays the TV will lock the hdmi black level to normal and it seems like it doesn't matter what setting I have enabled for RGB/YCbCr because the picture will look identical (used Man of Steel Bluray intro scene to test). So yea, if anyone wants to chime in thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004

Mister Macys posted:

Since your console is your Blu-Ray player too, you won't have the benefit of a separate brightness setting on your TV for both... I recommend setting your PS4's black level to it's darkest, and adjusting brightness in-game whenever possible; since console black/reference levels affect colour saturation as well as blacks for games. There was an old article on it for the 360, but I never bookmarked it.

Your TV I would optimize the brightness for movies/TV (typically darker than for gaming), and leave it's HDMI black level on Normal.
My RGB/YCbCr is set to Auto for both my console and Blu-ray player.

Thank you.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
The only thing I have seen about TVs in CES related news is a leaked photo of LG's WebOS based TV. The picture I saw actually looked pretty nice but it was only a photo of the card interface.

Leaked photo of WebOS powered LG TV

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004

Boris Galerkin posted:

I'm not really seeing a benefit of putting a dead OS designed for touch screens onto a TV that you can't touch. Doesn't everybody already have some kind of PS3, PS4, 360, Xbone, Roku, Chromcast, or even their blu ray player connected to their TV that can stream Netflix?

I agree with you. When someone ask me about smart TV I tell them to look at a Roku or Apple TV instead. Some people really like having apps on their tv though so they'd don't need another device (my best friend loves the apps on his LG TV. I will agree they're better than the apps on my samsung but I would still rather use a different device like the ones you mentioned).

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
Are you sure you picked the UHD version? Amazon's app does not have a great UI. Seasons are separated for TV shows and UHD is also a separate category.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
Parent's needed a new bedroom TV so got a 32 inch D series Vizio and it's a pretty nice TV. It was $150 at Target about two weeks ago. Check that one out if you have a chance.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
People often mention the grand tour as a good video to display HDR. I've found that Netflix shows in HDR aren't that different than standard counter parts. When I got my tv (Samsung KS8000) I started watching man in the high castle on amazon to check out 4K/HDR and it's noticeable on that. The first episode I think had a scene in a dojo with sunlight coming through a window and I was surprised how awesome it looked.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I have this TV. Are you watching HDR videos? That sounds like it could be the brightness adjusting in HDR scenes. I think I've seen it referred to as brightness breathing on AVS. It can be annoying sometimes.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
Hill House is HDR on Netflix. What you describe sounds like the brightness adjusting. I remember looking into this before on AVS and if I remember right according to them it's more pronounced on Netflix compared to other HDR sources. I have watched scenes with little motion having very noticeable brightness fluctuations which can be annoying. I've gotten used to it over time but now and then I'll watch something that does it and get annoyed.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
Horizon zero dawn, Spider-man and God of war look amazing with HDR.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004

Pottsdam posted:

Is it worth paying $150 more to get a 55 C9 over a 55 B9? Seems like the major difference is the C9 has BFI. Usage will be a pretty even mix of movies/tv and games but not sports.

Rtings says it has HDMI 2.1. It has HDMI variable refresh rate that they said works with Xbox one X. They can't test more because there's no 2.1 devices out. The C9 is getting G sync support while I believe the B9 isn't. The C9 has a newer processor which may be the reason for that. I recently got the B9 and am really happy with it.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004

Rastor posted:

You're right, I was thinking of a C8 vs C9 comparison, not B9 vs C9.

Oh wow, didn't realize that. I don't game on pc but still nice to have.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
Try adjusting the peak brightness setting to low or off and see if that helps. I have a B9 though and didn't notice this watching the Witcher recently. Although, Rtings says that the B9 has slightly less aggressive ABL than the C9 so that could be why.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I have a B9 and it has eARC and HDMI 2.1 (there's nothing to test it with though) and auto low latency (auto game mode). C9 will have the same things but with better processor. I deiced to get the B9 after reading the ratings review of it and the C9. So far don't regret it. TV looks amazing.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
Ya for a $100 more get the C9.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
Horizon, God of War and Spider-man look ridiculously good in HDR.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
My Samsung KS8000 died on me last year. I went and got a B9. I don't think I can go back to LED. The perfect black levels make so much of a difference. I'm usually right in front of my tv but the viewing angles are good on the side.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
Started playing today and thanked god I got an OLED last year.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
My KS8000 died on me last year. I got a B9 to replace it. The KS8000 did get noticeably brighter but I feel like everything else on the B9 makes up for it. I wouldn't say the B9 is dim either. In HDR it can get pretty bright. I am in a dark room though.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
When my KS8000 died I originally tried a Sony LED. The 950G I think. Nice TV. A little too bright with HDR sometimes for me. The clouding with the local dimming was a more noticeable than KS8000's edge lit dimming. Aside from being way brighter and being full array backlight I didn't think it was a significant enough step up from 8000. So I went and got a B9 to try it out. I hadn't tried it out first due to burn in concerns. Once I got it home, set it up and watched some stuff. I packed up the Sony in the box same night to return it. Just get an OLED.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I tried a 950G I believe before I bought my B9. It was very nice but I found the clouding with HDR kind of annoying even with full array. I had a KS8000 before and preferred their edge lit local dimming to the Sony's.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004

Fedule posted:

Yeah I did my share of evangelising for the KS8000 (or KS7000 as it's called here for reasons I'm still not completely sure of) in 2016-8 and don't regret getting it at all - it's been great, except for two things;

1) The mainboard HDMI bandwidth problem, which I complained at length about, and

2) The effect its dimming/contrast/both has on credits sequences that briefly fade to completely black between lines (which is to say, basically all of them). It's distracting as gently caress. I do wish it had proper 2D zones and not just lengthwise but hey, it was 2016. Needless to say I won't be having this problem with the CX (which I'll be picking up in a couple months, probably a few days before a £200 price drop knowing my luck).

Are you talking about the breathing effect from the dimming? Yea that was annoying. Also, Dolby Vision looks noticeably better compared to HDR10. I really liked the 8000 but it died after 3 years and now with the B9 I don't think I could go back. Hopefully micro-led will be an affordable thing by the time I upgrade.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
Does your receiver have a HDMI mode setting? I have a Yamaha 385 and it has a HDMI mode setting. You have to change it to a certain mode for 4K if I remember right.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
Maybe it's a bandwidth issue. If you're trying to output RGB I think that gets close to 18gbps of HDMI 2.0. Try connecting PS4 directly to tv and see if it works.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
Isn't the harmony 665 backlit? I have the older version and the buttons are backlit.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
Best Buy is the only warranty that covers burn in on OLEDs. Other than that don't think there's much reason to get one over something else.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
The first season of the Mandalorian had fake HDR I think. Everything else seems fine. I'm using Disney + on an Apple TV 4K with an LG OLED though.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I've gotten used to using activities. Hopefully my remote doesn't suddenly die.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I watched Fury Road when I got my B9. It is an awesome movie to watch on an OLED. My friend recently got the Sony A90J. We watched an episode of this wildlife documentary series on Apple TV +. It's narrated by Paul Rudd. That also looked amazing.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004

Internet Explorer posted:

I've had my C1 for a couple of weeks now and this poo poo is fantastic. I am never going back.

When my Samsung KS8000 died I tried a nice Sony with full array backlight. It was nice but not that big of a jump from the Samsung. Decided to try a LG B9. After setting up and watching some stuff I boxed up the Sony and returned it to Best Buy the same day.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
My friend got a A90J a few weeks ago. I was able to watch it for a bit and it is a very nice set. I didn't get a chance to watch tons of stuff on it though. It was noticeably brighter than my LG B9 in Dolby Vision. The speakers sounded pretty drat good also. He has it wall mounted but the stand has a nice flat configuration with the feet on the sides if you choose not to wall mount. Google TV or whatever it is called now is way better than older android TV software I played around with on Sony TVs from a few years ago. He was thinking about the G1 as well but, no one knew when it would actually be available for sale at the time (don't even know if you can find one now) and the A90J gets brighter which he wanted. From when we were researching I do believe the LG TVs have an edge in gaming features as they are G-Sync, FreeSync, HGIG compatible.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
Holy poo poo, Boxee Box. I forgot about that.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
It really maybe army of the dead. Movie did not look good at all.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
Amex changed that actually. I think they're gold or platinum cards may still have extended warranty but their regular cards don't have that benefit anymore. My capital one quicksilver has the warranty extension. It maybe a visa signature benefit though.

Edit: googled and found this page which list which Amex cards have it.
https://www.fool.com/the-ascent/credit-cards/amex-extended-warranty-guide.

serebralassazin fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Aug 28, 2021

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I also vote for bigger one. I have a B9 in a darkish room and it's plenty bright FWIW.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004

FilthyImp posted:

My b9 is great when it's night or the curtains are closed. We have a white fence next to the window by the TV and that absolutely drowns out the OLED during the day.

Yea, I had a Samsung KS8000 before and that thing was super bright in my room. If I had a lot of light I'd get dark curtains or an LED. Probably just the curtains because after owning an OLED I can't see myself going back to LED anytime soon.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
Saw that yesterday browsing their HDMI 2.1 thread. Model number is S760H. Didn't show up when I searched for it online. People are spotting them in stores though. Price is $399.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
Isn't this what is used for the current G1?

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
Costco sells the Denon S760H and the Onkyo NR6050.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
That kind of depends on the service. Some services use Dolby Vision (Netflix, Apple TV+, and Disney+) and if it is enabled it will automatically send that. Amazon Prime used HDR10+ which I think only Samsung actually supports on their TVs so for everyone else it just sends a plain HDR10 signal.