Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF
As the resident IT guy at work (even though that isn't my job) I've been tasked with outfitting our conference room with some new-to-us technology and a large part of that is an HDTV.

Requirements -
50-55" LED panel (as thin as possible)
It has to be a Smart tv with built in web browser and we're also looking for a video conferencing solution. I assume an external camera is the way to go, but are there decent built in options? I know TV's run skype and such and that may be the closest option really. My boss wants to be able to Skype/Facetime from his iPad while he's on the road or on "vacation." Then of course video conferencing with other companies we work with on west coast as well, but I don't think they have anything setup yet, so they would probably build off whatever we get.

Other things, the TV is going to be hooked up to DirecTV (i think my boss wants to watch tv at work or something) - The TV will also be used locally for meetings/presentations so having VGA and HDMI inputs would be nice as I'll be routing the cables through the wall to a "connection" station for the presenter, although are there wireless solutions that would be easier maybe with like a USB dongle in the PC and then something on the TV to mirror the display or whatever?

I'll be working over the next month to get this all setup, basically needs to be in place by Feb 28th.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

Don Lapre posted:

You dont want to rely on the browser built into a smart tv. You would be better off buying something like the zotac AD10 and loading windows on it for web browsing tasks. It would also allow you to use any standard webcam for skype.

Quite honestly I don't know how much actual web browsing would be going on, my guess is none-minimal, my boss just has these crazy ideas that it's poo poo that he actually needs. For instance I also have to get a flat screen for his office so he can have the news playing in the background and it also needs to have web browsing capabilities even though he has a computer w/ 27" monitor 5 ft away.

He also said maybe getting an AppleTV would be a nice addition, again I can't think of a reason we'd need an ATV, I should also mention that all of my attempts to save him money in this or anything are always shot down. So price is essentially no object.

thebushcommander fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Jan 28, 2013

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

Erwin posted:

HDMI over Cat6 is a beautiful thing. Buy this and run two Cat6 runs to any place you need an HDMI input.

FWIW we have one of these in our office: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00752R9W8 but got it on sale for $1,000. The back lighting is a bit uneven, but who cares? It's god damned beautiful. Like everyone else said, you're better using an actual computer for the browsing and video conferencing and just using the TV as a monitor.

Yeah, so after I posted this I was told to look into Smart Boards for the conference room as well, so now I think I can kill two birds with one stone and get a SmartBoard 8055i and then run a dedicated windows box for surfing the web and conferencing as well as collaborative work and then switch to the HDMI input for DirecTV.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF
Is there a thread for TV hardware recommendations, such as mounts or is this a good place? I've been using this 32" LED tv in my bedroom for awhile now because it fits the stand we have. I however have a 55" LED sitting in storage that I would much rather be using. The problem is the walls in the room are slanted at like 45 degrees above waist height so I can't put the TV on the stand we have as it won't fit there. Do they sell wall mounts for angled walls that both extend and swivel the other problem is the TV would need to be rotated slightly for viewing. The spot on the wall would be perfect size for the 55 if I count mount it there, being able to push it back up against the wall and lock it in place would be nice too, but not required.