Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

quaker69
Jul 3, 2004

Four measures of cheap Vodka combined with a bottle of Bawls
Lipstick Apathy

LaserWash posted:

Anyone want to explain to me why this might be as cheap as it is?

http://tinyurl.com/bexcggu

55" Slim LED/LCD, 120 Hz Tru Motion, 1080p, $850, made by LG

This seems like a steal for what you get.

It's a dumbTV, but I have an ATV3 and PS3 to attach to this.

This is a much better tv in my opinion. local dimming and passive 3d
http://www.amazon.com/VIZIO-M3D550KDE-55-inch-1080p-120Hz/dp/B0096YOQE2

However lg has sexier bezels, and generally a nicer interface and remote.

edit: hmm guess it is $100 more. Well your call

quaker69 fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Jan 3, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quaker69
Jul 3, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Must..resist..

Only registered members can see post attachments!

quaker69
Jul 3, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

BobLoblaw posted:

I'm looking for a TV to wall mount in my basement, 40-50" capable of playing Netflix (and maybe Amazon) via Wifi. I don't care about 3D, and my couch is about 12' away. I found this TV which was recommended by Consumer Reports, but there aren't very many other online reviews:

Panasonic Viera TC-P50XT50 $540 plus $52 for Wifi dongle

I'd prefer 1080P rather than 720P, but for what I'm using if for I don't think it will matter, right? Could anyone recommend any other TVs which might be better suited for me?

edit: nevermind.. thought i found a better deal.

There's nothing wrong with this tv being 720p per say, however the other models of panasonic have a much better picture quality resolution not withstanding.

also, the panasonic smart tv functions are pretty good, but the $50 might be better spent towards a roku or apple tv in my opinion

quaker69 fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jan 6, 2013

quaker69
Jul 3, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Very high end plasmas are 96hz for 24fps. Otherwise they're 60hz and 48hz for 24p

quaker69
Jul 3, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
What's a good price for the st50? I think I'm giving away my tv to a friend and I'm going to finally pull the trigger on one.

Ill probably just end up buying it on amazon regardless..

quaker69
Jul 3, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
worth noting that pauls tv has pansonic plasmas pretty much as cheap as they've been all year, as these models will soon be discontinued.

http://slickdeals.net/f/5816766-Panasonic-Plasma-sale-at-Paul-s-TV-All-Models-listed

I just bought mine last week at amazon so hopefully they price match. lol

quaker69
Jul 3, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
I prefer my lg menu over the Sony one, which is basically just a watered down ps3 xmb.

quaker69
Jul 3, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
No. LEDs shouldn't behave any differently than Lcds or any tv for that matter.

quaker69
Jul 3, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
The only way to get a noticeably better tv than that is to spend at least twice as much. The Samsung 6500 and better are somewhat comparable plasmas

quaker69
Jul 3, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

CaseFace McGee posted:

Very helpful tips so far in this thread. I've been looking for a TV in the 42" range for around $800. Wifi and Smart features like Netflix are preferred. The model that sticks out so far is the LG 42LM6200, which is on sale at Best Buy and Newegg for $799. I have seen a few conflicting reviews so far regarding black quality as an example, and the nearest retailer with one in stock is a few hours away... Any current/past owners have an opinion, or is there a better TV in this category that I may have overlooked?

I use XBMC for video playback on my current screen, and my PC is set to sleep after a certain amount of inactivity such as at night after the selected show is finished and we're snoring away. Until it shuts down, the screen displays a static menu. Because of this, I'm initially inclined to avoid a plasma set and have focused more on LEDs, but I see burn-in is supposed to be less of an issue with newer plasmas.

TCL47et5 47" 3d ips led with built in wifi etc from panasonic $699 at pauls tv, which means amazon will match it.
http://www.paulstv.com/LED-Televisions/Panasonic-TCL47ET5.asp

Also I use an htpc on my plasma. It got a pretty fair amount of retention on my 3 year old 50pj350, which was a low end LG. However I recently got a panasonic st50 and havent noticed any retention after calibrating it.

quaker69
Jul 3, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

CaseFace McGee posted:

The lady approved, and I grabbed it through Amazon. I'm going to call Amazon shortly about the price match stuff, since I haven't seen the "found a lower price" button yet. If Amazon doesn't play nice and match the price, is there any reason why I shouldn't just get it from the Paul's TV website?

It took me a while to find it. But Paul's tv is on the approved vendor list, they matched my st50 to 1149 from them

quaker69
Jul 3, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Do you have different video settings for different inputs ?

quaker69
Jul 3, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Timett posted:

Good to hear. I've got a slight buzz on my new st50 and googling about it was giving me mixed results. Some would say it's rare for them not to buzz others would say it should be silent. I can't hear it unless everything in the room is muted so it certainly doesn't bother me much.

Mine has a fairly noticeable buzz when the screen is pure white, and when I don't have any sound playing. Usually this is just when configuring something on the htpc.

quaker69
Jul 3, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
I was always under the impression the optical out on tvs was primarily for outputting the digital audio from the built in tv tuner. In most scenarios its better to go directly from the audio source, ie: cable box, ps3, dvd etc, to the audio receiver. A lot of HTIB, and soundbars actually have multiple HDMI, or stereo/optical -in for audio for this reason if you choose to not get a full featured receiver.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quaker69
Jul 3, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Mister Macys posted:

Seiki's trolling the big boys. This is great.

That is terribly cute. :3:

This kind of stuff has been popping up a lot lately. I always wanted my appliances to look like a 57 thunderbird

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Retro-Red-Countertop-Microwave-Oven-Kitchen-College-Dorm-Home-Office-Cooker-/221077475083