Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t
I bought a 50" Panasonic Viera plasma (TC-50PU54) from Costco a few months ago since they were cheap, and I have noticed there has been some buzzing when there are a lot of light colors on the screen. During normal daytime use it is noticable but not a big deal, but if I have the volume low at night or whatever it is somewhat annoying. I am normally about 7-8 feet or so from the tv. It has been buzzing since I took it out of the box. It is still under warrenty, and I think for 50" or bigger Costco will send someone to your house to fix it, so I don't even need to try and fit it back in my car. I have never had a plasma tv before, so I am not sure if this level of buzzing is normal or not, is it worth having them send someone out to look at it? It is usable but if it was quieter it would be better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t

Smoking_Dragon posted:

One question I have is has anyone had any experience with DLP TVs specially the Mitsubishi 840s? I haven't found hardly any professional reviews on them and rear projection/DLP isn't even mentioned in the first post. They seem like a great value but there doesn't seem to be very much information on them so I'm worried they aren't worth it.

I have a 65" Mitsubishi DLP I got around the end of 2007 I think, I cannot recall the model #. The DLP chip thing started leaving tons of white pixels and black pixels ~ 4 years after buying it, I had to pay $250ish to get it repaired(I think it is more and Mitubishi paid the remaining amount). Now it looks like a little dust got in it, probably when the guy fixed it, and there is kind of a dust flare type thing when the screen is dark on the upper right side. The picture quality and everything is good, but I am assuming people are no longer making them because they have too many mechanical issues.

deadhoarse posted:

I hear buzzing from every plasma I watch (ex: my older Samsung, and family's Panasonic, LG and Samsung), I think some people are just more sensitive to it.

Hmm, maybe it is just me. I might call their tech support just to see what they say anyway.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
I just purchased a LED 65" Samsung UN65H7150 but it has not been delivered yet. Does anyone have knowledge/experiences with this line? Also, I recall seeing talk about different panel manufacturers for Samsung, anyone know how likely this model's panel will be made in a Samsung factory?

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004

leidend posted:

I have this exact TV. Mine was a Samsung panel and I didn't even know it was possible to be anything else until later. If you're ordering it online it may be tougher to find out ahead of time, but the sticker on the box has to say certain letters. I'd tell you what letters but AVS forum is down right now. Here's the thread, ignore the spergs and vocal minorities worrying about various issues - it's a great tv once you turn off all the Samsung junk. http://www.avsforum.com/t/1527547/official-samsung-unxxh7150-unxxh7100af-owners-thread

A few photos I just took

NBA 2k14 video game

Just received the tv and set it up today. It had the Samsung panel as well. What do you mean by Samsung junk to turn off? I read through that link and just tried the most recent recommended settings (page 24/post 700). It looks pretty nice, though I noticed that for some reason some of the settings were ghosted and unable to be changed for me. One example was the HDMI black level; the guide recommended changing it to low, but I was unable to change it and it was set to the default of medium. Does the HDMI input matter? It suggested putting the cable box on 1, but I placed it into HDMI 2 because that is the order of the devices in the tv stand.

What settings are you using?

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004

MMD3 posted:

hmmmm, so this is probably the set I'm looking atbut in the 65" flavor... has anyone seen any comparisons between the 2013 and 2014 models because it looks like they're keeping the model #.

I'm also curious how the latency is on the H7150's. One of the things I want to ensure I'm able to do w/ the tv is run steam streaming through a media pc of some sort.

I think the 2013 model is the 7100, and 2014 is the 7150, I know one difference is that the 7150 has a quad-core processor while the 7100 has a dual-core, not sure what else is different.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004

MMD3 posted:

So on this topic, I was just watching Hobbit Desolation of Smaug last night on my new Samsung un65h7150 and when the credits rolled I realized the flashlighting was really noticeable. Is this bad enough to be concerned enough to take this monstrosity down off of it's wall mount, pack it up and take it back for an exchange? Is it possible that wall-mounting it by it's very nature is going to contribute to this effect?

I don't recall seeing anything like that for my tv, but I don't usually watch a black screen either. I will test it to see. Mine is not wall mounted yet, need to get an electrician out to put an outlet on the wall first.

Now that I have this tv, I am looking to sell my old one. Does anyone know how much a 65" Mitsubishi DLP would go for? It is this tv here: http://www.crutchfield.com/S-FDfr8AMNp2R/p_690WD65733/Mitsubishi-WD-65733.html( I have never heard of the company but it is the first link that came up). The DLP chip failed and was replaced in 2011 or 2012, it has 3 HDMI ports and a USB port, so it is not THAT ancient.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004

GreenNight posted:

Probably get $500 for it or so.

That sounds good, higher than what I was thinking anyway. I guess we need to see what people actually offer first.