Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

weaaddar
Jul 17, 2004
HAY GUYS WHAT IS TEH INTERWEBNET, AND ISN'T A0L the SECKZ!? :LOL: 1337
PS I'M A FUCKING LOSER
Don't consider the U50 its junk as far as all my research shows me. The UT50 is very good if you can keep the room you're using it in very dark. If you're putting this in your living room right next to the bay windows you'll be disappointed. The ability to calibrate the ST50 is better as well. But the main factor should be placement if you're putting this in your man cave then enjoy your sweet sweet TV.

However, there is one more thing to consider with plasmas. Power costs. The ST50 will use A TON of power compared to most LED TVs on the market especially when calibrated correctly (turn off power saver and grab some settings from avsforum to be wowed) Also their 3d prowess is apparently lackluster and not class leading like their picture is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weaaddar
Jul 17, 2004
PS I'M A FUCKING LOSER

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

I love my C7P and the B6P I got my parents but the motion quirks are beginning to bother me a bit. What are the proper TruMotion/Motion Eye Care (or whatever) settings to best replicate the experience of watching 24fps content on an LCD?

I'm not sure about on the b6, but for the c7::
Motion eye care off. This seems to really just be a crappy power-saving setting
Use technicolor expert or one of the ISF expert presets and
Real cinema on
Trumotion (User):
De-Judder:0
De-Blur:0

This seems to only be good for 24hz content. For 30/60hz content you probably want to turn trumotion off and leave real cinema on. You may want to just have an identical preset if you watch both movies as well as tv shows on the same input.

Also doing this introduces lots of lag, so def don't do this for gaming.

weaaddar
Jul 17, 2004
PS I'M A FUCKING LOSER
I think it's kind of ridiculous that LG will probably never fix the issue with the 7 series oled tvs in regard to low lag modes.

For SDR content you have to set your device to PC input mode, and use ISF expert so that you can use proper color. As an added bonus this mode breaks black level detection, so you probably want to force your devices to limited and switch the mode to low on the TV.

For HDR content you have to have your device set to something other then PC mode and set the mode HDR game.

HDR is broken in PC input and doesn't engage 10bit color (you get a brighter image but it's full of color banding), and game mode in SDR is broken because it forces wide color gamut.
While there is a button to toggle through picture profile modes, there is no such button for changing input type. Meaning if I want to play a game that doesn't support HDR and then play HZD, I have to spend half a minute going through menus and changing the input mode.

Does anyone know if this is fixed on the C8 or is it just as broken?
I assume with LG the answer is just as broken.

This is still an improvement over my EF9500 I had which had a game mode that offered 0ms of difference between game and expert.

weaaddar
Jul 17, 2004
PS I'M A FUCKING LOSER
The B7 regularly goes below the 2000 mark. Just keep checking slickdeals

weaaddar
Jul 17, 2004
PS I'M A FUCKING LOSER

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Would this make much difference for gaming? I'm not a sports fan so don't care about the impact on that, but if movies, TV and gaming would see an improvement I'll wait.

Is the lower response time on LED TVs compared to OLED noticeable with multiplayer?

There is no difference on this latency wise. However, game mode HDR is improved on the C8. The C8 can do dynamic tone mapping in game mode, and the 7 series oleds cannot.

For the 7 series, there is compromise to get the low latency unfortunately. Game mode, and PC-Input mode both get you 21ms of latency but they are both broken. SDR Game mode is stuck in wide color gamut, and PC input mode HDR is truncated at 8bits. There is no easy way to switch modes (far too involving to make a macro out of), so you either live with over saturated colors or you're stuck with broken hdr. I'm unaware if the situation is improved for the 8 series.

weaaddar
Jul 17, 2004
PS I'M A FUCKING LOSER

bull3964 posted:

I think it's only recommended on 2017 and up for HDR, not 2016.

To clarify, for the LG 2017 models of OLED TV, this enables active HDR. This does not work in game mode HDR. The 2018 have it as a separate option.

That said for some lower quality sources I really like how it looks. Don't worry if an expert said otherwise, it's your TV its okay to turn on the knobs if you like how it looks.

weaaddar
Jul 17, 2004
PS I'M A FUCKING LOSER
I think it varies on where and which country you buy the TV in. My experience has been that LG warranty support is above and beyond.

I live in NYC, and I've had 3 warranty services done on LG Oled TVs. Twice on my 55EF9500, and once on my 65 B7P. In all 3 times, LG set everything up and required very little before they had a service partner come to my home and replace the faulty part.

You'll basically just need to have your receipt handy (easy enough if you bought online), and you'll need to send them an image of the issue. Even if they can't see the issue in a picture (like if you're talking about tinting or poor uniformity), they will still authorize the service partner to come by and take a look and even do the repair.

I would say if you're in the US, you're probably going to have 0 issue with LG repairs.

LG use to include a soundbar on their E series OLED TVs. However, most people who were buying such a premium set, were probably wall mounting and wanted the picture on glass aesthetic and already had a nice sound solution. LG to make the E8 a bit cheaper cut the soundbar, so you're getting the same quad speakers as the B & C series. They're good (atmos lol) TV speakers, but they won't match a quality sound solution. If the picture on glass is worth it to you, go for it.

weaaddar
Jul 17, 2004
PS I'M A FUCKING LOSER
I doubt you will return it. Even if you were considering it, the 65/77 models are enormous, and unlikely to fit in a car when boxed up (not that I have a car).

When I bought my b7 from walmart.com, they used Pilot shipping. The courier helped me take off the outer box, and verify the TV worked as expected. All in all, pretty painless and if there was an issue I discovered, he said I could call to have them pick it back up. And again LG's warranty support is excellent as far as I'm concerned.

weaaddar
Jul 17, 2004
PS I'M A FUCKING LOSER
The Xbox one x does support 120hz, even 1440p at 120hz, so that's not quite accurate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weaaddar
Jul 17, 2004
PS I'M A FUCKING LOSER
You can use this handy link by rtings: https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/by-type/qled-vs-oled-vs-led

Also of note is that the KS8000, which they use as their LED TV, would be called a QLED by samsung's modern standard. The KS8k is just slightly too old to get the moniker, but it too uses quantum dot.