Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

If you're really tracking this in the OP, I recently bought a Vizio M3D___KD (470 for me), and have been very pleased with the picture quality but a bit nonplussed by input lag, even in game mode. But I play Street Fighter so others' milage may vary :shobon:. Also, while the smart apps themselves are well designed, the UI is slow to respond to input. Overall happy with the purchase though. $730 at Sam's Club, but it appears to be out of stock right now.

toplitzin posted:

So if 3d is no big deal, is there any reason to go to the st50 over the u50?

Slavik posted:

Not after:
3D
Smart (my Blu-Ray & Xbox covers those)

This should also go in the OP - 3D and Smart features are no longer features you're really paying for. They've dropped in price now to where you have to actively seek out TVs without them, and when manufacturers leave them out, it's because they're trying to make a "value" TV and usually cut corners elsewhere, including throwing in a worse display panel.

EDIT: Holy run-on sentence Batman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Demented Guy posted:

Looking for a 60-incher plasma without any Smart TV feature needed. Replacing our 5-year old Panasonic plasma GT50. Any recommendation? Would like to keep it at $1,000 max. Primary uses: cable TV, HTPC, some PS3 gaming.

Panasonic is either the only people still making plasma TVs or the only one worth a second look. General consensus is that their ST line is the sweet spot, or the UT if you're looking to save a buck and don't care about glare (the ST line has some anti-glare shenanigans going on).

Smart features, much like 3D, are becoming standard. Manufacturers are throwing them into everything except their budget models. If it makes you feel better, the smart features can blow - I love my Vizio's picture quality, but boy howdy is everything about the connectivity terrible.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

PLANES CURE TOWERS posted:

Anyone have any opinion on the VIZIO E420-A0? It basically hits everything that I want in a TV (>40", Optical Out, >2 HDMI Ports, price). I'd mainly be using it for Netflix, Baseball/Football, and playing PS3.

Okay, I'm gonna generalize a bit - I have a K series Vizio, so I don't know for sure, but I can tell you my experience.

The apps are pretty mediocre - everything works and the TV gets a strong wireless signal (unlike the BR player sitting 12 goddamn inches under it, but that's another thread). But Hulu likes to flip out and stop playing things after commercial breaks; I have no idea if this is also a problem with Netflix, since it doesn't have those breaks. The interface is also molasses slow - whatever poor CPU they have powering my TV can't really handle the limited animation even in the Vizio's smart application tray.

Try to get hands on for games - I could play Arkham Asylum on my TV decently, but Street Fighter and MvC3 were nearly unplayable. Fighting games are always going to be iffy with crap like that though.

Also, I'm having a hard time thinking this through for some reason - is it possible for a system to have system wide lag compensation? Like, Rock Band has lag adjustment, but that may be related to how deterministic the playing is there (you either hit a note or you didn't) - it may be easier to fudge lag adjustments in such a scenario.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

larchesdanrew posted:

So this 60" Vizio is going on sale at Sam's tonight for $678. I think I'm going to do it if no one has any horror stories. It looked pretty great in the store.

EDIT: Never mind, I don't have that TV, I got confused.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

THF13 posted:

I want to get my Dad a new TV for Christmas. He currently has a giant CRT monitor that will only just barely fit through the front door. Are there places that you order a TV from will take away your old one?

If you're in even a sorta-major city, check the internet for local electronics recycling places. Even in a two-horse town like St. Louis, there're a couple that will haul your old stuff away if you throw some money at them.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

We’re toying with buying a new TV and I’m sure I’ll have more questions, but here’s one to start me off - is input lag a thing to worry about anymore?

I bought my last tv when 3D was appearing to hit a stride, and I’ve been pretty happy with it (even though the 3D doesn’t get a lot of use, obviously.) but I did think about playing games on it and it has input lag bad enough to make anything except, like, Jackbox completely unplayable.

Have manufacturers licked that problem? It’s something I’d like to prioritize.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

I didn’t even think of 1080 televisions. My room is, like 12 feet from couch to tv. My parents are toying with a tv purchase for a very long room; like, 20 feet (open floor planning got a bit silly in that case.)

Is there a reasonable source for enormous 1080p televisions these days? It feels like they would have stopped making those panels but maybe not. Or is it strictly buy used and hope for good longevity?

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Oh yeah I forgot HDR is tied into 4K. Never mind then, thanks y’all.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Walmart has the TCL 75S425 for $700

I haven’t been lurking here long enough to know, is that the TCL line that gets recommended for best bang for buck? Because if it’s a good panel, that feels like pretty good value.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Rastor posted:

6 series / S6 is surprisingly good for the money
4 series / S4 gets put on sale for surprisingly cheap

Thank you. This would be our primary TV, so we’re willing to spring for a bit more quality.

Still undecided if I’m willing to make the jump to OLED, though.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Cozmosis posted:

Trying to plot out my new TV purchases. I need a TV for our main set and one for the basement for games and sports.

Main TV contenders:
Vizio PX65 for 999
Samsung Q70 65 for 1200

I realize some of this is subjective, but do people have thoughts on whether the Vizio is worth the $400 price jump over the TCL 6 series that Costco will be offering for BF?

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Is there another sweet spot for price to performance above the TCL/Hisense price point?

EDIT: fuf is in the UK, so the question doesn't really work for them, but I'm curious. Unless something else pops up, probably taking the plunge on the 65" TCL 6-series at Costco on thanksgiving. $600 feels like a steal.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

I'm getting stuff to wall mount a TV and hide cabling in the walls. The Internet says CL3 cabling is needed for fire safety. It's easy enough to find HDMI and toslink cabling with that rated, but what about the TV's power cord? Because it carries electricity and not a proper signal, is it by default fine to run through a wall?

Speaking of mounts, any recommendations? It should be an uncomplicated install, so I'm thinking I just get the Monoprice one unless the thread has better ideas.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Both Amazon and Best Buy have it for $699 now.

For anyone curious, here’s what rtings has to say about the difference between the models years:

quote:

The R625 has a more premium design and a much better local dimming feature, but the R617 is brighter and has better reflection handling. The R625 has a higher backlight flicker frequency, but a slower response time, and motion doesn't look as good

(625 is the newer one. I’m still planning on saving $100 and getting last years model, because my room is somewhat bright and we watch a fair bit of hockey.)

Edit: I’m seeing the 2018 model at Best Buy for $630, if you don’t have a cost co membership.

Boxman fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Nov 28, 2019

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Waroduce posted:

I need a living room TV for sports and PS4, preferably 60ish inch +. I've read the OP and know nothing about TVs but I saw this:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/tcl-75-class-led-4-series-2160p-smart-4k-uhd-tv-with-hdr-roku-tv/6319340.p?&skuId=6319340

which seems really cheap for a giant TV. Is this a bad idea or a trash tv? What are some black friday deals or recommendations the thread has? I would deeply appreciate any guidance

e: Preferrably in the 500-700 price range but I could go hire if its fantastic. I currently use my PS4 to stream and will be scoping another option inclusive of hopefully NFL Redzone

The 2018 TCL 6 series 65" is $600 at Costco (at least until the end of the night, maybe tomorrow - the wording on the website is ambiguous), which I think is pretty spectacular bang for buck. You can find the newer model for about $100 more, or the older model for $30 more at Bestbuy if you don't have access to a Costco membership.

Here's what rtings has to say about the difference - R625 is newer. They have a variety of model numbers for the same TV - R617 comments should apply to both the Costco and the Best Buy versions.

quote:

The R625 has a more premium design and a much better local dimming feature, but the R617 is brighter and has better reflection handling. The R625 has a higher backlight flicker frequency, but a slower response time, and motion doesn't look as good

Rtings is the go to website for reviews for this stuff. If its your main TV, dropping down some size and upgrading the panel quality is probably the best call, but it's obviously just a matter of what trade offs you want to make.

Boxman fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Dec 2, 2019

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Any guidelines on television height? We’re mounting for the first time, and it’s a big ole blank wall with a short “stand” to hold the AV/Network equipment, so we have a lot of flexibility.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

This looks like a solid price for a good TV, any gotchas to that 2018 model compared to the 2019? Seems like a $200 price difference at least.

To save you the trouble of scrolling through, here's what rtings had to say about 2018 vs 2019:

quote:

R625 is the 2019. R617 has a few model numbers - I got the R613 from Costco, and its the same panel. It's a very solid TV. Great picture, some noticeable vignette at the corners that I can't be bothered to care about for the price.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Taima posted:

Hope you like not getting insurance in 2030 because you got marked for a supposedly greater chance of, you know, cardiac issues or whatever.

If the US is still trundling along with private insurance in 2030...man, I don’t know how to end that sentence but it’ll definitely be really sad.

TCL/roku TV question. Is there a way to see source info that I’m just missing? like, I’m watching something on Disney+, which has 4K content but I’m curious if I’m actually seeing 4K HDR or if it’s just a placebo. Someone is going to give me an answer and I’m going to feel like an idiot.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Mat Cauthon posted:

Anyway, I'm in the market for a new HDTV because our old Samsung is on it's last legs after our most recent move. Are there any decent affordable options with the least amount of "smart" capabilities or connectivity requirements? I don't need the top of the line model, we mostly just use it to play Sesame Street for my kid, so anything with fairly decent quality where I don't have to worry too much about burn in or pixels dying on me after 6 months or whatever will do.

Low cost TVs, especially, have a high probability of subsidizing the purchase price by selling your advertising data (This article cites Vizio and thread favorite TCL as examples). In addition, smart capabilities are such a low-cost include at this point that you'd be hard pressed to find a TV even your kid wants to look at without them. That being said, the solution to privacy concerns is pretty simple - use a set top box with your preferred data hoarder, and don't keep your TV connected to the internet.

For a cheapo TV, assuming you're in the US, look at TCL TVs. Their lines are sensibly named, with the 6 series being their nicest and slowly losing various aspects of panel quality as you move down. Like I said, the 6 series is a favorite round here in the bang-for-buck category, although rtings prefers the Hisense H8F for a budget pick. Their list of budget picks will likely set you on the right track.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Aren’t OLEDs at that size a massive step up in price? Anyway, lemme dog up my post about bang for buck TVs....

Edit: the post wasn’t that helpful. Anyway, the go to pick around here if you don’t have the budget for an OLED is the TCL 6 series (in the US; international versions are different and worse.) You can get a better picture/more consistent panel quality by paying more, but very rapidly hit diminishing returns. Until you get into the OLED range, which is decidedly worth the money. Check rtings budget page for other recommendations.

Boxman fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Dec 26, 2019

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Does anyone have a source on short length polarized two prong power cords? Like this but maybe 1 foot long.

We have our set up wall mounted, but the power cord for the sound bar is 3 feet long. The outlet for the soundbar is literally right behind it, though, so the extra length is just sort of stuffed behind the sound bar. Some squirts out and it really ruins the look.

I could just jam the extra length into the wall, but I went through the trouble (and spent the money) to make sure everything thats running back there is fire code safe to be in walls, and this random power cable certainly isn't. I'd hate to break things up at the last mile here.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

I need a polarized plug, and of course searching for "polarized" returns "non-polarized," which is giving me no end of headaches. Thanks, though.

Weirdly, that seller does sell a polarized plug but the shortest length is 3 feet. I hate that Amazon's become a lovely flea market for stuff like this, it makes it impossible to tell if this product actually exists on there.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Charles posted:

https://www.amazon.com/SF-Cable-2-Slot-Polarized-IEC320C7/dp/B00T6N5JT4/ref=sr_1_6?keywords=iec320+c7+polarized+1+foot&qid=1577866639&sr=8-6

edit: Look at the second pic, also by the comments maybe it's a bit longer when you count the plug ends.

Loads better than anything I've found. Thanks so much!

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Jorge Von Bacon posted:

Hello - I’m looking to update from my badly out of date Sony Wega.

Looking at Costco, it seems like the TCL 6 series R613 is pretty good. Anyone have experience with it or any alternate recommendations on what Costco has?

Price point is under $1000 (unless it’s really worth jumping up) and will primarily be using it for gaming and movies in a fairly bright room

The TCL 6 series is the thread's go-to for budget/sweet spot LCD TVs, but scroll up just a bit - apparently at least one Best Buy is putting them on sale for pretty absurd prices. Like the other poster, I got mine for $600 on Black Friday, so $100 less than that is a spectacular deal. The differences between the 2018 and the 2019 model are negligible - you can see rtings for a comparison between the two, or just check my post history. I quoted them at some point.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Vizio is also one of the companies thats very honest about selling the poo poo out of your personal data, so they may be able to cut price point to the consumer that way

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

[

Charles posted:

https://www.amazon.com/SF-Cable-2-Slot-Polarized-IEC320C7/dp/B00T6N5JT4/ref=sr_1_6?keywords=iec320+c7+polarized+1+foot&qid=1577866639&sr=8-6

edit: Look at the second pic, also by the comments maybe it's a bit longer when you count the plug ends.

wolrah posted:

The reason you're having trouble finding it is that the polarized connector is non-standard.

Also I never responded to this but I really appreciate this! These posts.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Shyfted One posted:

I was pretty excited about getting a new TV (TCL 6 series), but my old plasma still looks great and $450 could go towards so much other stuff, so now I just want to get a mount for my old TV. Mostly so the kids stop touching it. I have a Panasonic TC-P54G25. Can I just use any kind of mount or because it's 10 years old there's some model specific mount only made by one company I have to use?

That is definitely going far back, but televisions are weirdly good about having standards. The one here is VESA. Google your TV model for the manual and it should tell you what size VESA mount your television uses (or if you're hosed and need to buy some weird esoteric thing).

American McGay posted:

Yes the pro move is to spend years and years thinking about and obsessing over buying a TV but never actually buying it.

Paging Residency Evil to the thread

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

A Proper Uppercut posted:

What about the newer harmony ones that work with the hub? I thought it was a different software to program those.

As a Harmony hub haver - maybe its different but its still mind bogglingly bad. The only reason this is acceptable is because you only have to wrestle with it for an hour or so then you can go forever before having to deal with its bullshit again.

My dog chewed up the remote that goes with the hub and while it works, I would buy another...except I don't want to have to deal with setting it up.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

dentist toy box posted:

What would be a good TV around 40 inches with above average picture? I have a Toshiba 43 inch Amazon 4k I bought a few prime days ago. But the picture quality on it has never felt too great to me. I don't care much about price just something that looks good.

I think at that size you're not going to find too much variance. Higher quality production is dedicated to larger panels. Someone else might have more specific recommendations.

Fat_Cow posted:

Not sure if I missed a reccomendation link in the OP but, what do gunes suggest for something around 500$~? Feature wise I am looking for smart/roku, plus maybe having HDMI 2.1, or display port as well for future gamin on whatever next gen crap comes out.

Size? Country?

If you're in the US, at that price point you're probably looking at the TCL 6-series, which is the thread's generic go-to for that budget. It's not the best LCD, but it's where you start to hit diminishing returns for funbux spent.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Fat_Cow posted:

Yeah US. So this one https://www.amazon.com/TCL-4K-Smart-LED-65S425/dp/B07JKL2K5T?th=1 ?
What would be the next "step up" if I wanted to throw more funbucks around?

That's the 4-series, which is a significant downgrade. The 6-series at currently 65" runs $750 from Amazon, so it would be stretching your budget a bit already. It can be had for cheaper if you keep an eye out; I got mine on black friday for $600.

As for more steps up, I stopped researching once I realized consensus is on that for sweet spot. I'll defer to someone else in the thread. :)

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

I use a harmony companion - that's the one with the hub and very simple paired remote - for my remoting needs. My dog ate my remote, and its only a matter of time until it fails outright. Logitech doesn't sell the remote by itself, which is insane (they recommended I buy their $200 alternative instead). It looks like I can replace the remote with a used one from eBay for a reasonable amount, but honestly, gently caress you Logitech.

Are there any other reasonable alternatives to their stuff? I have a simple set up, all things considered. TV, soundbar, apple TV, blu-ray player. But some of it is in closed door cabinets, so I like the hub/IR blaster model.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

To be clear, they recommended the Harmony 950, the Ultimate One, or the Touch. MSRP of the 950 is $250, and they don't market the other two anymore, so supply is spotty as all get out.

It's sort of nutty how insanely lovely remotes are. Roku and Apple remotes take minimalism way too far (although Apple's is worse. I'd be happy ditching the universal if only I could keep actual buttons to scroll around with). Like, it's the primary way you interface with your device, how are manufacturers not spending time on this?

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Gamesguy posted:

She won't be able to use voice command, her English is pretty poor. So it sounds like an apple tv compatible TV is the best bet? Something from this list?

https://www.apple.com/apple-tv-app/devices/

We're actually talking about the Apple TV hardware, which has OS level support for airplay. You can also cast to a Roku with the youtube app's built in functionality which is also very easy. In my experience, that casting tends to be a little more finicky than Airplay; presumably Apple uses some private APIs for casting. But the Roku remote (which she'll probably have to touch at some point) is worlds better than the Apple TV remote, which might not even be describable as "functional."

Wall Mount Question! Can i mount a TV on a single metal stud? I've got a 40 pound, 47" television and this monoprice mount. I see some poo poo online about how you should try to bridge two metal studs with some wood to help secure the weight, but...that feels insane? I'm going to need to buy a new set of drill bits to actually get through the metal, so i'm making doubly sure I'm doing this right.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Don't do that. Bridge two studs.

Ah well, guess I have to buy another mount. Thanks for the extra confidence though.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

For $1.35m, why not add another, what, 10 grand for high end cabinetry that doesn't look like poo poo

Boxman fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Sep 3, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Doggles posted:

Also, all the talk about HDMI 2.1 and VRR when it comes to gaming reminds me of the hype about the 3D capabilities of TVs back when that was supposed to be the technology of the future. Remember all the promises about games in 3D, or how split-screen multiplayer would be a thing of the past as the 3D technology would be able to transmit personal full-screen images to each separate player using just one TV? We're going to get the same amount of 4K120 console games this generation as those that were 3D-capable back in the day.

I still think 3D is pretty neat, and I think there might've been a niche for it (considering 3D movies are still...well, not coming out, but you know), but they absolutely poisoned the well by releasing and pushing the active shutter 3D televisions. The idea of spending a significant sum per person and wearing glasses whose battery level you had to monitor was laughable, and while there's no way to test the hypothesis, I think it sucked a lot of the air out of the room when the passive TVs came out.