Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

So we managed to pick up a Samsung 6-series 65" way back in Christmas '16 and we've been pretty happy with it for 4 years and 5 moves

We finally bought a house with a big wall, I'm curious, is 85" too big? I don't see many for sale bigger than that. 65" is adequate but we sit a little over 13' eyeball to screen from the TV which is the lower limit for 4k according to "the chart"

Also is QLED that much better than regular lcd or whatever? And what's the real world lifespan of an OLED before it's too dim for regular use

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Unfortunately it's in a condo next to a window with lots of natural light, so a projector isn't really an option

That article is exactly what I was looking for, thanks, that first option looks ace

At some point we're going to build a country house and put in a projector system in a dedicated room over the garage, probably

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Tony Phillips posted:

I worked customer service for Amazon in another lifetime - 1998-2001. Long before they ever thought of the idea of prime - there was an internal sale open to employees only called "Get the CRAP out" with CRAP standing for "Can't Realize A Profit." I'm sure that's more or less what Prime day is to this day, with some other things added to entice you to spend.

This is true for pretty much all holiday sales now. The door buster stuff is just garbage tier household items that meet the minimum definition of whatever so people making minimum wage will come in their store and buy the thing

Any device of any actual level of quality and that people desire, almost never go on sale, or if the product is perpetually on sale, the "sale price" is baked into the pricing model from the get-go, especially when it comes to consumer electronics from major brands

If anything, seeing a product on sale in 2020 is usually a red flag to avoid that brand/quality tier going forward

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I had a 2012 samsung hw-e551 with 2x 80w + 150w sub, I was really impressed with it, except somehow I forgot to pack the subwoofer when I moved

Are you saying sound bars have gotten even better since then?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Sing Along posted:

Would I be shortchanging myself by getting a 55 inch Sony A8H instead of a larger television? The 65 is a bit out of my price range at the moment.

Honestly we've had a 65" tv (midrange, not high end model) for close to 4 years now in our living room, and it feels a bit small, our good friends, when we go to their place the 55" feels really small

I know, first world problems, but at no point did we ever feel like we got too big of a TV

Wife wants to get an 85" in another year or so

55" might be a good size for a bedroom

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

You know in those old timey shows where the analog TV won't stay tuned into it channel right, and dad walks over and smacks it, and it fixes it?

Might be worth trying to give it a good smack and see if that seats the power connections for those backlight LEDs. Worth a shot

Otherwise, yeah, warranty return

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

codo27 posted:

I'm prob about 6' away from my 65 and I want a 75

We are about 9' away from our 65" and the next replacement TV is def gonna be at least 75, although by then quality 85" will probably be under $3000

I'd probably trade a fair amount of quality to get a bigger TV, so long as it supports true 60fps 4k

And we don't even watch that much TV/aren't film snobs

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Looking at 85" class TV

We have the top of the line Samsung sound bar 2022: hw-q950a

I guess that limits our options to the... Samsung qn85b or qn90b? $2300 for a TV. I like good image quality but I don't think we want to pay more than about $3000

Edit: screen to eyeball distance in this room is 15' and our 2016 65' doesn't look small but it's adequate for the space but just barely, 85" seems like a good fit for the room and we have the wall space for it

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 01:17 on May 27, 2023

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

All my tvs and all her TVs going back at least ten years have been Samsung and it's always been a very boring, hassle free experience which is what I'm looking for

Saving $500 to have a tv I hate and is going to be physically bolted to my wall for a decade or more isn't worth it. I got seven years and most of Game of Thrones out of my last one

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

bull3964 posted:

Likely flaky solder at some spot that's having intermittent contact depending on thermals.

Yes

Also why the power adjust on my car's steering wheel is flaky most of the time, unless it's really hot or really cold out

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

effika posted:

I will not hook a TV up to the internet ever again if it means putting up with extra ads or buggy app bullshit.

I hate technology.

Wise decision

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Time to go dig out my old XBMC

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

wash bucket posted:

Does anyone else read that as they're going to apply this to existing TVs running webOS? Because if so then :lmao: time to air gap that poo poo.

I think there's just no additional growth in the TV sector. Everyone gets big fat bonuses when you exceed sales targets.

Some people will buy an 8k TV, but everyone who wants a 4K 55" TV, already has a 4k 55" TV, and TVs mostly only break after a couple of years so the replacement rate is constant. We have two TVs and looking to replace one that was slightly damaged moving. 2 TVs in the house is probably the maximum number we'll ever have. I'm sure a lot of people are in a similar boat. Selling targeted ads is new revenue in an otherwise flat commodity sales category.

The newer TV has never been hooked up to the internet and never will be. We made that mistake with the old TV and it's gonna get wired up to a chromecast ultra or roku or something.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

dxt posted:

looking forward to jailbreaking future TVs.

new thread title

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Mister Facetious posted:

Pm a mod and tell em I said go for it

I'd do it myself, but i just got home from watching MI:7 in a ~*o theatre o*~ :effort:

no luck so far

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Vintersorg posted:

The tiny Fire TV 2 seems okay - never powered it on myself but

Look into turning off "Amazon sidewalk" which shares your private internet connection . It's not crazy bad but definitely not great

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

You can get a really good bang for your buck if you go to walmart. I forget the exact prices but last time I was in there they have TCL and other generic brand TV for like, $450-699

How did you come up with $1600 as the budget for the TV?

That said I'd probably just buy the samsung for $1600 if they already had a samsung, particularly if it's a 7-10 year purchase

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

GreenNight posted:

98" TLC for $4k and free shipping.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09NLJ8ZZS

Not gonna lie, that would take up the entire "tv wall" of our den, with about 6" to spare in each direction, but that is tempting. We were gonna do 85" but if 95" will fit why not. That's practically all we use that room for anyways

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

The ad says 86 x 50 inches right? 7 x 4 foot. Not even the size of a sheet of plywood

Shoot, if I move my aquarium about 4 inches to the left I could put one in my crappy 10x12' home office, which might be helpful for my productivity by just leaving my jira tickets up on the wall all day

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Using the stock Smart TV bullshit means connecting it to Wi-Fi. Which means in two years they'll release an "update" that will cripple the UI and make it unusably slow. Six months later they'll send another update that'll start showing ads on the main menu. Plus the tv will send back all sorts of unapproved telemetry. Your first mistake was even playing the smart TV game

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

actionjackson posted:

that sounds good

the distance recommendation sites tell me that for 9.5' I want around a 70" TV? that seems awfully huge.

You get adjusted to the larger size really quick. We have a 65" and 55" look tiny now

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Corb3t posted:

Their app sucks, their 4k quality sucks,

What's your Internet speed and what reference video are you using

I've never had any image quality issues but I've been on gigabit until very recently

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Does apple really restrict their content to apple only devices? That feels very 2012

I will check bandwitdh usage on my tv using netlfix here. That article dates back to octover 2020 which is.... like perhaps peak netlix usage for all of humanity. Summer had just ended, I forget if the delta wave was peaking then but that's when it starts getting dark outside and tv usage goes way up

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

bull3964 posted:

Google doesn't make content.

Apple does. That's the distinction.

At one point YouTube went balls deep on the whole content creation thing. They're physically distinct from Google still but though like, 2017 or 18 they definitely had funding to go find their own game of thrones or friends sitcom thing

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Our media console/tv stand is a similar size/style and I definitely wouldn't pair it with anything smaller than 65". Our current tv is 65" and we're definitely replacing it with a 85/88" device after ~7 years

TV size advice is very similar to that of breast implants; one) you can't upgrade for a long time, and two) you almost always wish you'd gone a size bigger, after

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Aug 29, 2023

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

It is 67" (5.58') according to their product page for it

Also conincidentally west elm has this on the same page, which I largely agree with

I think you can go up a size if you wall mount it (which we do)

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

If you wall mount it, that can give you a 6-8" gap to place knick nacks underneath it. I don't know where your mother in laws tongue plant is gonna live though

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Remastered 90s sitcoms was not a square I had on my bingo card

Who has the remaster of MASH? I've seen probably half the episodes but it was over broadcast as a child, on the channel that was always slightly fuzzy, not sure I could handle seeing it without the contrast being blown out and some slight static dancing everywhere

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I meant Fraiser

But great I'll check out mash thanks

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

KillHour posted:

Edit: you could honestly go up to 77 if you wall mounted it and it would still look fine.

Heed this smart advice, so every time you sit down on the couch in about 6 months, you won't be like, "wow why did I buy such a small tv?"

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah our last house, the living room was in a corner of the house with doors on either side, the largest wall was mostly a fire place (old school pre-TV east coast house) and 65" just barely fit above the mantle, plus we had to mount the whole thing way above eye level to the point you kind of had to scooch down on the couch to avoid a crick in your neck. We thought about making the dining room the TV room (better layout, no fire place) but the house was very opinionated on what room served which function

In a "modern" (1970s) house that same TV looks average to slightly undersized though

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

You might be able to just make an adapter with some plywood. Two sets of holes in one or two pieces of plywood, maybe with a 2x4 spacer. I'm not super clear on what you're asking though

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

We have some first Gen 4k Chromecast attached to the living room TV. It's whole purpose is to plug into the eARC HDMI port and allow me to turn on the TV via voice control from the kitchen so that when I sit down it's fully initialized and ready to Streaming Video. Also handy to turn it off at the end of movie time and walk away without digging for the remote in the blankets

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

The other big benefit is if you have a sound system (sound bar with subwoofer in my case) attached to the chromecasted TV, you can use the TV as a receiver for streaming audio (Spotify). It's maybe not audiophile approved but great for everyone else

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

The value of being able to shout "ok Google, play 'wheels on the bus' on TV" from the kitchen while scrubbing yogurt out of the carpet, to playcate my toddler playing with blocks, is incalculable

Trying to explain the benefits of voice control to someone without small children is like trying to convince your grandpa cell phones are as useful as a land line and not a toy

Technically I think my also Extremely Medium system has some kind of Chromecast functionality but it's either broken or mostly unsupported; the official Google device Just Works

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Best Buy announced this week they're going to stop carrying Blu-ray so this is probably not the time to get into that sort of thing

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

codo27 posted:

I assume you're in some tiny apartment or something? That's the only excuse for a soundbar

We picked up the Samsung HW-Q950A almost two years ago before the price went to the moon and it's fine :confused: has an 8" subwoofer which is nice. Wife and kiddo were out of town got to watch all of Band of Brothers on netflix with it at the correct volume, was convincingly loud enough for WW2 tank battle stuff. Plus I don't have to place/manage giant floor speakers, reciever, second remote etc

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

KillHour posted:

At some point it's going to be cheaper to build your house out of tvs than wood.

Getting pretty close. I paid close to $100 for some cabinet grade plywood last year

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

A pair of Yamaha HS5 studio monitors for $400 would be highly amusing. They're powered so you don't need a dedicated external receiver or amp, but you'd need to come up with some kind of adapter

I put the hs8 in my home office because covid lockdowns and they are... absolute gross overkill for the task

M-Audio sells a bewildering range of powered studio monitors at all price points, too

Edit: whoops that's not the correct dimensions... At all

quote:

Height:
11.2"
Width:
6.7"
Depth:
8.7"

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Oct 30, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Oryp posted:

I appreciate everyone's input! I can take this to the audio thread, but I'm wondering if something like a Edifier R1850DB pair would work.

This is the wrong thread, I agree, but if I'm reading correctly, this those have a 4" woofer

I'd really hesitate to buy anything smaller than a 6" woofer as an adult. I only mentioned the HS5 as sort of a comedy option. Yes the 4" is in budget, but just like I did the overkill hs8 for my home office, you don't want to be regretting the 4" woofer purchase at the height of the movie. The extra $30 per speaker is almost certainly worth the price of admission if you're living in a first world country