Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
FYI your link to CNET in the OP is broken. Hardly a big deal but the https://www. seems to confuse, at least, Chrome.

Great OP though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
What's the difference between the 530, 550 and 6500 series of Samsung plasmas? I can't seem to find much online. I have an LG 50" right now that I'm going to sell - moving next month and unfortunately I lost the stand, hopefully someone will buy it with just a mount. The future landlord isn't going to be keen on me mounting a TV to the wall and I've been looking for a reason to buy a Samsung TV for a while since joining the company. Do most people mount TVs? I hope so because the stand is about $60 plus shipping from LG.

I'm looking into 60", the EPP provided is decent enough that it's worth paying shipping. There's about a $200-300 difference between the 530/550/6500 series of TVs though. I don't really care about 3D but it looks like the 550 has it anyway and who knows maybe I will wind up using it. I also don't think I'll need SMART TV features since we have a PS3 hooked up the TV for any browsing/streaming requirements. At first glance it looks like the 530 series is a basic plasma with no 3D or SMART features but the 550 says it's SMART and 3D both, no idea what the 6500 upgrades would be.

I'm pretty sure I want a plasma as the bang for buck seems definitely better than LED. It'll be mostly for movie watching, game playing and some video games and NHL GameCentre [through PS3] as well. I don't think burn it will be an issue with any of those, we don't have cable so network logos shouldn't burn in outside of the odd hockey game.

There's also the question of waiting for the 2013 series of TVs, whether or not to bother.

I think it would be too big for our upcoming apartment but I've been looking at the 64" ones too... talk me out of it for an apartment if I'm crazy.

Thanks for any advise. I have no idea what I want really and know next to nothing about TVs.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
Through my employer I'm able to get a Samsung 65" MU8000 for the equivalent of about $1080 USD + tax and shipping right now to my house in Canada. Shipping's about $50 so I guess the TV is essentially $1130 USD. I'm currently using a 1080p mid-range Samsung 60" plasma from about 5 years ago and have been eyeing an upgrade for a while, the pricing on this MU8000 is enticing me to maybe look towards it but only if there's the content to support it. I currently subscribe to 4k Netflix [shared account with 3 family members] and my wife has an Amazon Prime subscription so we presumably have access to their HDR as well, if HDR on Amazon is supported in Canada yet. The vast majority of content I consume is through Plex [I have a server setup for this purpose] and Netflix.
I have a Shield TV already to go and my understanding is that the MU8000 does a decent job of upscaling 720p/1080p content as well, hopefully better than my current plasma at least. Having a Shield TV already [as well as having a GTX 1080 in my current computer] to pair with has me looking at the possibilities of 4k gaming through GameStream as well which would be an added bonus.

Thoughts on this upgrade for the price? I haven't really considered it before because I don't have much interest in an HDR Bluray player or $50 Bluray discs for HDR playback but with the increase in HDR content on here, it piqued some interest that I need to either pull the trigger on or convince myself I don't need it. I also know OLEDs are better but the LG 65" OLED TV is about $4000 Canadian right now and I just can't bring myself to spend that much on a TV yet. I also know the Samsung lineup of TVs this year is generally not that great for the price but this particular price for this particular TV seems like a better deal than anything from other manufacturers but I'm open to alternatives

tl;dr: I can buy a 65" Samsung MU8000 for $1080ish USD, currently have a plasma, want to know if I should buy it if most of my content comes from Plex/Netflix and I have a GTX1080 + Nvidia Shield, might use it for gaming but definitely for media. Buy or no buy?

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
Samsung 65" MU8000 for the equivalent of about $1080 USD - worth it?

Asking again just because I got missed earlier and can't really afford an OLED right now. I'm using a 60" mid-tier Samsung Plasma currently and would like to get onboard the HDR/4k wagon finally.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

Don Lapre posted:

Cant you get a vizio at that price?

Nope unfortunately not. I have an EPP for Samsung stuff through work but not any other brands. I'm not opposed to buying a different brand of television if it makes more financial sense though.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

qirex posted:

Got my X900E, it’s pretty boss, especially coming from a 2008-era CCFL model. Not a huge fan of Android TV so far but once I get my 4K Apple TV and PS4 pro I won’t need to use it much. It’ll hold me for a few years.

I can't fathom actually choosing to use + pay for the Apple TV UI or, worse yet, the remote for the Apple TV over Android TV. My use of Android TV is solely from the Shield mind you but it's been so so much better than the Apple TV UI, is the performance just really that bad on built in Android TV for even high end Sony TVs?

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
Is there any reason to wait for the 2018 LG OLEDs if I can get a 65" B7 for $2950ish Canadian? I'm using a 5-6 year old mid-tier Samsung plasma and the advent of 4K/HDR Linux ISOs flooding the internet right now has my interest growing at maybe upgrading.

Nairbo fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Jan 19, 2018

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
edit: ignore, double post

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

Rastor posted:

That depends on if you were planning on shopping for a B series or a C series, now that they will have different processing.

I wasn't particularly looking at one or another. From what I gathered the only difference between the B7 and C7 this year was Atmos support (I don't care) and the Bezel (I don't care). I'd almost certainly have gone for the B7 if I waited unless it was a significant difference on the 2018 models

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
Has the LG B7/C7 65" been any less than $2700 in Canada yet? I keep see it fluctuating but right now it's at $3499

Nairbo fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Mar 29, 2018

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
Sounds like a great reason to use content from Amazon since it seems most of their streams and episode rentals don't have logos.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
-> Amazon/Netflix WEBRip (4k/1080p/720p encoded from 4k; very rare for weekly shows)
-> Amazon/Netflix 1080p WEB-DL
-> Amazon/Netflix WEBRip (1080p/720p encoded from 1080p)
-> Hulu 1080p WEB-DL (AAC2.0)
-> Viacom WEB-DL (AAC2.0: MTV/VH1/Nick/ComedyCentral/TVLand/Logo/BET/Spike/etc)
-> Hulu 720p WEB-DL (AAC2.0)
-> Amazon/Netflix 720p WEB-DL
~= iTunes 1080p
~= iTunes 720p

This is taken from a (very) reputable encoder in terms of video quality. Granted it's a from a TV private tracker site but it's a fairly general consensus of the quality tiers. Vudu isn't included but I would suspect it would be around the Amazon/Netflix tiers

Nairbo fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jul 24, 2018

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

FBS posted:

As it happens, I brought the X930E home on Monday. Best Buy didn't have one on display and the sales kid thought it was discontinued and was shocked to find one in the back. He spoke quote highly of it while ringing me up, even compared to the X900F.

I'm very happy with it so far, it looks fantastic, though I'm still figuring out the inputs and picture settings and how to get UHD content.

I went in as a smart-TV agnostic but Android TV was kind of a hilarious disappointment. Slow and unintuitive and it doesn't have a native NHL app which is the first thing I searched for. I didn't know what to expect, but I thought it would be much slicker than this.

e: it's also really god damned heavy, I'm glad I didn't decide to wall mount this thing

Sony's built in version of Android TV is truly awful compared to the Shield TV. It's unfortunate what a burden it puts on people's expectations of it because I've used a Roku, Apple TV 4K, Fire TV and the Shield, nothing even comes close to the overall experience of the Shield TV in my case, especially with Plex and the lack of need to transcode basically anything.

For your current setup, it's not the best solution but sideloading the NHL apk works fine as well. I won't direct link the file here, but the install/APK is available at https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/1025137/shield-tv/nhl-tv-app-/

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
Best Buy is selling the 65" LG B8 for $2700 CAD, the same price that eBay is selling the 65" C8 for. Would it be worth taking the B8 for an easier panel swap if something goes wrong or if I lose the panel lottery?

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

American McGay posted:

If you care enough about the "panel lottery" to notice minor manufacturing differences in the display then I'm guessing you'll probably care about how the improved processor in the C8 handles frame rates and noise cancelling.

I'm not entirely sure I'd notice either to be honest

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
I found a B8 65" for $2000 CAD and I'm trying to talk myself into buying it. Help me with this

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
I finally bought an OLED TV after going back and forth between the C8 and the Samsung Q90. I don't know how good the Q90 actually is but holy poo poo the C8 is a beautiful tv after using a mid tier plasma for the last 5 years. I can't see myself having any desire to go see a movie in the theatre anytime soon and even my incredibly skeptical wife said 'oh wow it's beautiful' when watching John Wick II in HDR last night.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
Web OS is really great so far, I'm impressed. I can't see using my Shield TV much aside from a little gaming, even the Web OS Plex app seems surprisingly robust.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
Is there a consensus good mount for the C8? Preferably something I can get from Costco or Amazon in Canada

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
If I'm using a C8 with Plex, do I need to do anything special to upscale 720/1080p content? Almost everything I've watched so far has been 4K since getting it but I'll be trying some older content later on.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
The Pi 4 doesn't support emulators yet and unless you for sure need Dolby Vision, the Shield is definitely the best STB still. Emulation works wonderfully on it too with a lot less legwork than on a Pi

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
Is there any reason to use my Shield TV for Plex over the internal Web OS app on my C8? I'm assuming the TV app upscales and I know the Shield doesn't support Dolby Vision.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
It's not a C9 but I bought a 65" C8 a few months ago and I still love it. Watching anything else feels trash

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
I'm in the same boat, I don't know if I can justify upgrading my Shield TV just for Dolby Vision but the idea of using one source for everything I do is a pleasant one. The Web OS Plex app isn't bad but it does freeze sometimes. Now that encoding discs in Dolby Vision is possible it's an even bigger deal than it was a few months ago.

A 25% performance increase over the release 4.5 years ago and still having 3GB of RAM is pretty lame though.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

EL BROMANCE posted:

Sales guys get paid commission, and the rate can vary depending on the manufacturer.

Best Buy staff don't make commission but they do get heavily influenced by TV OEM reps, often with outright incorrect information.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
Doesn't the original PS4 do HDR anyway? I imagine 1080p HDR would look almost as good as 4K HDR anyway, most media does at least.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
You should. It ruins every other TV there is, and even going to most theatres feel very downgraded from your soon to be new tv. There’s a room of good content now too, HDR is wonderful and even many old movies are being remastered in 4K and look amazing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
4K on disc is really the way to go if you can anyway. Some digital 4K doesn’t look very good yet, especially Disney+ with its fake 4k and poor HDR implementation. Netflix isn’t too bad though and well worth the 4k premium monthly cost, they have a ton of stuff including quite a few Dolby Vision movies and series.

Wait till you see Planet Earth II or Blade Runner 2049 on the B or C series with a physical disk, it’s really something else.