Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
I'm in the UK, so is this is the TV I should be considering for TV/movies/games at 55 inch?

I'll not be buying til near the end of the year at the earliest, so is there another generation coming I could wait out for? That TV is £1599, which is kinda where my budget tops out.

Also, there seems to be fairly little 4K content, much less HDR. I have Amazon Prime and Netflix, both of which have some of their own stuff in 4K but is there anywhere else that serves up 4K and HDR content? I'm not willing to get Sky or anything like that but I could consider streaming services.

I'll be getting an Xbox Scorpio when it comes out. At the moment I've got a regular old Xbox One. Might get a PS4 Pro at some stage too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I'm in the UK, so is this is the TV I should be considering for TV/movies/games at 55 inch?

I'll not be buying til near the end of the year at the earliest, so is there another generation coming I could wait out for? That TV is £1599, which is kinda where my budget tops out.

Also, there seems to be fairly little 4K content, much less HDR. I have Amazon Prime and Netflix, both of which have some of their own stuff in 4K but is there anywhere else that serves up 4K and HDR content? I'm not willing to get Sky or anything like that but I could consider streaming services.

Anyone?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

TomR posted:

The 2017 LG OLED TVs are coming out now. You can already buy some of them, but they cost a whole lot more as they are brand new and the old ones are discounted. I don't think they enough better to be worth the price premium, but by the end of the year I'd expect all the 2016 models to be sold already. I could be wrong though. I'm trying to convince myself I need the 55" B6 as a computer monitor while they are on sale and available.

I see LG's 2017 B7 model is nearly twice the price. I'll probably hold off til the end of the year, Currys dropped the price of the 2016 models in November last year.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

My dad is thinking of getting a 4K TV. We're in the UK.

His Internet connection is about 30Mbps down, and he doest want to go for Sky Q and the extra money that costs per month.

Since his download speeds won't really allow streaming 4K content (at any one time there could be 4 people streaming 1080p video, music, using Facetime etc.), what would be his options for downloading 4K content from the likes of Amazon or Netflix? If that's possible, what devices support that?

I'm trying to talk him out of getting a 4K blu-ray player because it'll get little use from the kids.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

bull3964 posted:

The services don't support pre-downloading of 4k content.

So unless he pays for Sky Q or gets a 4K blu-ray player, he's out of luck? His download speeds aren't going to get any faster any time soon either, they're maxed out given the distance the house is from the exchange.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Been looking at 2 TVs as future purchases, the LG OLED55C8 and the Samsung QE55Q9FN. Will be used for streaming video (BBC, ITV, Netflix, Amazon, YouTube etc.) and gaming on the Xbox One X. I'm worried about image retention from the BBC and ITV logos as well as the HUDs from games.

Would I be better going for the Samsung?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Incessant Excess posted:

I don't think Burn-In is much of a real life issue with OLEDs, I've certainly not noticed any on mine yet but one reason you might wanna go with the Q9F is that Samsung has updated it to support Freesync which is a really neat feature but I'm unsure how many games on the Bone X support it, you might wanna look into it.

How long have you had the set for? Is there a maintenance program on the set that refreshes the pixels or anything?

Really love the look of the C8, just don't want to spend that amount of money and end up staring at a minimap while watching a movie.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Cobalt Viper posted:

That's not how burn in works.

Please enlighten me, not being sarcastic, I'd honestly like to know.

I think I'll stick with the C8 when hopefully it comes down in price.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Out of interest, what's the major issue with the Samsung QE55Q9FN? It's getting great writeups and a lot of sites are saying it's one of the TVs of the year.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Is there much improvement from the LG OLED55C7 to the C8?

The B7 (basically the same as the C7 as I understand it) is currently £1299 in Richer Sounds. Nowhere seems to have the C8 in stock at the moment but I imagine it'll start at around £3000.

I've no intentions of paying that for a C8 even if it's a great improvement over last year's sets but I don't know of I should just go for the B7.

Mainly to be used for Xbox gaming, and streaming.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

KS posted:

This year's 8 series innovation (for C8 and up, not B8) is supposed to be a much better motion processing chip to bring it equal to the Sony OLEDs.

You're right that the B7 and C7 are virtually the same.

Would this make much difference for gaming? I'm not a sports fan so don't care about the impact on that, but if movies, TV and gaming would see an improvement I'll wait.

Is the lower response time on LED TVs compared to OLED noticeable with multiplayer?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

bull3964 posted:

It will make a big difference in tv watching because standards suck.

In what way does it make a difference with TV?

I love the look of the OLEDs but keep thinking of burn-in and image retention, then some of the LED TVs have latency of around 15ms compared with the 21 or so of OLED.

I'll also potentially be using the TV during the day a good deal.

Tell me I'm mental.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Thanks goons. Is the input lag difference worth worrying about between 21 v 15 ms? Again, asking regarding competitive multiplayer content, CoD, Battlefield/front etc.

I'm not a twitcher or whatever, would just like to not handicap myself further than I already am with my skills being average.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

I'd settle for a 49" OLED at 1080p if it was a grand cheaper than the 4K sets.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

weaaddar posted:

There is no difference on this latency wise. However, game mode HDR is improved on the C8. The C8 can do dynamic tone mapping in game mode, and the 7 series oleds cannot.

For the 7 series, there is compromise to get the low latency unfortunately. Game mode, and PC-Input mode both get you 21ms of latency but they are both broken. SDR Game mode is stuck in wide color gamut, and PC input mode HDR is truncated at 8bits. There is no easy way to switch modes (far too involving to make a macro out of), so you either live with over saturated colors or you're stuck with broken hdr. I'm unaware if the situation is improved for the 8 series.

I wish I could jump forward 5 years when hopefully all this stuff is resolved and the prices are lower.

The B7 is very tempting at the moment as it's down to £1299, but the C8 really does seem to do a better job with the HDR stuff than last year's models and it's got that luminance dimming function too.

Anyone here got a B7?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

I've seen comments on other forums that the B7 has lower input lag than the C8 for gaming, is this the broken bit people talk about?

Sorry for making GBS threads up the thread, I just want to make sure I'm choosing wisely.

My main concern is that I get the best response times for multiplayer gaming, where I'm not worried if I have to switch off HDR. If I'm playing campaign, I don't mind the higher input lag if it gets me HDR.

WattsvilleBlues fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jul 7, 2018

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

If the same movie is on Amazon and Netflix in 1080p, what would typically give the better picture quality on your average TV?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

https://m.hexus.net/ce/news/audio-visual/122003-lg-oled-tv-test-shows-burn-in-just-4000-hours/

Some concerning results there from a burn-in test for LG OLED panels. LG rate 30,000 hours before burn-in becomes problematic but some of these screens are getting burn-in after 4,000.

That's only a couple of years of typical use. I'm still really reluctant to put thousands towards something I'd have to be wary of in this way.

I sometimes play games for extended periods and a lot of the channels I watch have constant logos visible.

I'm also worried that my family will absent-mindedly leave the TV on for hours when they go off somewhere, adding to the wear and year.

The advantages of OLED are great but I still can't shake the feeling that I might be better with the Samsung Q9FN. I understand the disadvantages there but the burn-in report above just has me worried.

Any thoughts on that report?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Best 55 inch 4K HDR non-OLED for gaming in the UK?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Got a question about which of the following is better:

https://www.richersounds.com/tv-projectors/all-tvs/lg-43uk6400plf.html

https://www.richersounds.com/lg-43uk6750pld.html

I take it the 6750 is the better unit - the only differences between the two I can see is the motion processing on that model is probably better than the 6400, plus the former has one more HDMI port.

There's a difference of £80 - would the "better" motion processing be worth it? It'll be used predominantly for gaming. Cheers goons.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Butterfly Valley posted:

I wouldn't buy any LG tv that's not from their OLED range - they use IPS panels which have terrible blacks for better viewing angles.

Would I be better with a Samsung model then? £450 is pretty much the highest I'm looking to spend.

Or how about this:
https://www.richersounds.com/panasonic-tx43fx550b.html

Or:
https://www.richersounds.com/sony-kd43xf7003bu.html

WattsvilleBlues fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Dec 12, 2018

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

How about this set:

TCL 43DP648 43 Inch 4K Ultra HD HDR 10 Smart TV with Freeview Play - Silver (2018 Model) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07C5H9NDR/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_IcxeCbAMJSZAQ

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Butterfly Valley posted:

They don’t and they aren’t. You can’t get the same local dimming features that’s in the USA goon recommended model over here in Europe.

Wattsville, if you’re mainly gaming you don’t want any motion processing anyway as it adds noticeable input lag, and this is based on me actually trying it rather than some numbers on a spreadsheet. Are you bound to a 43 inch model? Because for under £450 you can get a decent 49 inch Samsung. I read 4K resolution is undetectable under a certain size anyway, so you can justify it to yourself like that if you need an excuse. The particular model I linked has a game setting that turns all the image processing off and gives extremely quick response times. The HDR isn’t great but for the price I don’t think there’s better options in the UK - I just bought a tv a couple months ago and did quite a lot of research into it. That said it looks great and I’m happy with it, just don’t spend too much time staring at OLEDs in shops or you’ll get tv dick envy.

Check rtings.com if you want to fall down a rabbit hole of extremely thorough reviews and information you don’t fully understand. Warning: model numbers sometimes don’t match up between regions, so it can be difficult to make comparisons as most review sites are American. I found the information that the TCL screens sold here don’t have the same features as the ones in the USA buried in the amazon questions section of one of their models.

I'm limited by size so need to be mindful.

How about :
https://www.richersounds.com/sams-ue40nu7120.html

Thanks for the help people.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Butterfly Valley posted:

Yep that’s the same model as what I have but just smaller. If you want to read up on it it’s the nu7100 on rtings.com, which also has an optimal image settings guide should you buy it. Also unless you’re intentionally avoiding amazon it’s £16 cheaper on there. They do make a 43 inch model but it’s unavailable everywhere apparently. If you’re willing to spend a bit more but still within your budget, this tv is the next step up, with slightly better colours, 43 inches and includes their nice remote control.

I've gone for the Samsung UE43NU7400, looks to be a good midrange TV. The help has been much appreciated folks.

Specifically, I got this:
https://www.richersounds.com/samsung-ue43nu7400.html

£35 more expensive than on Amazon but comes with a 6 year warranty from Richer Sounds, with whom I've always had good customer service.

WattsvilleBlues fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Dec 13, 2018

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

punchbuggy posted:

You guys are awesome! Thank you ❤️

I have this:
https://www.amazon.com/Acoustics-So...saKL&ref=plSrch

The sound quality is excellent and though it's not cheap, the value is outstanding.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Is the LG a9 2nd gen SoC tremendously better than the 1st gen ones for picture quality, noise reduction, input lag, performance etc?

Also wondering if the Samsung Q90R closes the gap enough on OLED that it's a better bet. I play mostly CoD for most of a year for about 20 hours per week, plus I'm an avid politics news watcher. I hear that the Ultra Black technology basically turns the TV into a black hole of ambient light.

WattsvilleBlues fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jun 27, 2019

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

LG OLED55C8PLA for £1185 on Amazon.co.uk - worth it over the C9 at £2199?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Taima posted:

The C9 is extremely good for gaming, but that price premium is insane. Get the C8 for 1185, and it's not even close.

I'm getting married in a few months so will have to wait til after that at the earliest for a new set. The input lag on the C9 is about a third lower than the C8 so I might even wait for the price of that model to come down.

Pretty tempting though.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Bob Socko posted:

Got a new TV, drat thing is a pickup artist. :(

What does that mean?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Texibus posted:

$1,300 for a 55 inch LG C9 OLED a good deal? It is neweggs flash deal right now.

That is ridiculous, I would sell my rear end hole to lions for that.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Philips 55POS9002/05 55-Inch 4K Ultra HD OLED Android Smart TV with Ambilight 3-sided and HDR Perfect - Silver (2017/2018 Model) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0746PRDRJ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_.5GlDb8MHEFDX

£799 for today, £1200 price reduction.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

I'd be interested to know what you think of the Q90R. I'd love an OLED but I'd plan to keep it for 10 years and have the same worry about burn-in with statically content (games, news channels, fixed logos) and diminishing brightness over the years. It's also going in a room that's in direct sunlight a lot of the time. Family members have a tendency to fall asleep

My current non-smart Samsung TV from 2013 horrendous "black" levels and I hear the Q90R is like a black hole for ambient light. Poor analogy but it's not very reflective, I hear.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Will microLED be any better in this regard?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

Someone asked me to post my thoughts on my Samsung Q90R.

That's was me. Thanks for the report. What's the set like reflecting ambient light? What are black levels like compared to regular LED TVs?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

I should have mentioned this as it's a known feature of the TV. The set is masterful at reflecting ambient light. It's like a black hole compared to any other TV I've seen. It's in my living room which is conjoined with a kitchen, hallway and, behind where the TV sits, a conservatory; I can close off the hall and kitchen but not the conservatory, so I was keen on this ability. Supposedly this technology also means that the contrast ratio is inferior to last year's Q9FN, but having seen both I can't discern much of a difference (albeit they were at different locations with a fair gap in between). Black levels on this and the Q9FN are the best I have seen outside of OLED/plasma for sure.

Good to know, thanks for the update. Enjoy your purchase.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Got a question for you goons.

My internet connection tops out at about 38Mbps down, about 8Mbps up. Getting a fibre-to-the-premises connection is years away in my area so I'm basically stuck with those speeds.

If I get something like an LG C9, the built-in streaming apps would automatically stream 4K content, correct?

My concern is that I would just end up having video buffered all the time, either that or no one else in the house would be able to use the internet for much if the bandwidth is being taken up by the TV, neither of which is a suitable situation.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Without good, reliable, well-wired fiber to the house they won't even usually stream 4K content and stay stable.

So would it drop video streams down to 1080p or something? What happens with HDR imagery if that's the case?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Yes, and it goes away. It's rather jarring when it jumps between the two, unfortunately.

gently caress. I don't want to start buying 4K HDR blu-rays so the only content I'd have to take advantage of the TV would be my Xbox One X games. Does HDR in games really make a difference as much as people say?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

That's some reassurance, thanks. Cheers for the rental recommendation but I'm in the UK :britain:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

I'm in the UK and it looks like most ISPs have unlimited data caps either by default or as affordable options.

Our current government has said it's aiming for nationwide FTTP availability within 5 years. That'll never happen but it needs to be sooner than the previous target of 2033.

Anyway, back to TV chat. I have an Amazon Fire TV 4K box. How does UI performance with modern smart TVs compare? Do they get software updates for a reasonable timeframe?