Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

And TVs without smart features nowadays are typically inferior.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

veedubfreak posted:

Any reason to wait for Black Friday? I'm guessing that tvs in the 65+ area won't be on sale for more than they usually are. They never have been in the past.

You can check the BF prices here, I'm updating the OP as I get them.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

LEDs are the standard nowadays.

I made a thread for Black Friday TV deals, Best Buy will have a 50" Sharp for $299:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3747670&pagenumber=1&perpage=40#post451695983

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Yep, all Best Buy's for example can be ordered online, except those that say In-Store Only.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

If you can bump the budget up to $350, and wait until Black Friday, Walmart will have a 55" HDTV by TCL with a built-in Roku.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Jon Do posted:

Cool! Should I have to worry about compression format, or size/bitrate? VLC on her old laptop couldn't cut some of the larger HD files, and my buddy's TV needed specific formats.

So is this something most of the sticks/set top boxes/TVs do, but don't really list as a feature? Or I just didn't see it/know what to look for?

There are plenty of smart TVs, but this is the first time I've seen one with the Roku name attached. Bottom left corner: https://blackfriday.com/stores/walmart/ads/black-friday/page-3

Not sure how it will do with your files, I've never used a Roku before.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

All RCA does is put their badge on the TV. What you actually get may or may not be good.

2015 Black Friday HDTV Megathread

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

I'm willing to compromise with a corded remote control.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

LED uses the same panel tech as LCD, just a different type of backlight. All LED TVs are LCD TVs, but not all LCD TVs are LED TVs.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Prairie Bus posted:

I'm about to pull the trigger on a 50" Vizio E-series based on info from this thread. However, the stand won't fit where we currently fit our TV, as it's too wide. I'd like to avoid a wall mount if possible.

Is it possible to use an alternate stand for the 50" Vizio E-series?

The TV has VESA-compliant mounting holes, 200mm x 200mm, so any stand or mount that can do that and hold the TV's weight (28lbs) will work.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

:golfclap:

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

8-bit Miniboss posted:

This is true, I was made aware they sold instruments now. :stare:

I just browsed around a little bit and came across this:

http://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=12374

Ordered two.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

My purchase still shows as pending :pray:

EDIT: Spoke too soon, order canceled. Oh well!

TITTIEKISSER69 fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Feb 3, 2016

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

EwokEntourage posted:

I'm not see what a roku tv is?

A Roku TV is just a smart TV where the smart interface is Roku's. It's like having a built in Roku.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

For anyone in the market: Vizio M-Series 50" 4k FALD 120hz $499

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Yep. 37" was popular years ago but died off as 40"+ sizes became affordable. Nowadays it's either extinct or close to it.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

rebounded posted:

Due to a screw-up at a furniture chain, I got $1000 in store credit. Thinking to upgrade my 40" Samsung. It gets bad burn-in and my set up is too far away for me to read text.

My living room setup is not ideal. Couch is at 45-degree angle to the tv stand in a corner. Sit 12-16 feet away. Lot of glare from all facing angles.

I was thinking 60". Typical sports/netflix/ps4 . I've never played games on anything with noticeable lag, so I think that's something I'd want to avoid.

I don't know enough about OLED other than "it is better" but anything is going to be an improvement against what I have now. I know I am not looking at high-end, but get a decent temporary/game set for the $1000 credit and no out of pocket, fine. Otherwise I could throw $4-500 at it if it really makes a difference.

Trying to take advantage of their screw-up, but their offerings don't seem great.

http://www.rcwilley.com/Electronics/TVs/60-to-69-/Search.jsp

Otherwise I will just buy a new mattress for the extra bedroom and pay cash from Amazon/Costco, I guess.

I searched for OLED and found this, don't know if it's any good or not: http://www.rcwilley.com/Electronics/TVs/4K-Ultra-HD/60UH7700/110152476/LG-UH7700-Series-60-Super-UHD-4K-Smart-LED-TV-View.jsp

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the Vizio M series is real 120hz while the E series is simulated 120hz.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Refurb Vizio 70" E models at $999 from Groupon: https://www.groupon.com/deals/gg-vizio-e-series-70-razor-led-120hz-1080p-smart-hdtv

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

pliable posted:

I've been out of the TV game for quite a while (my current TV is a 40" Samsung from like 2009). However, I'm looking to buy a new TV for my Dad's birthday.

I don't need a 4k set, and I don't need 3D either, which is great since I know these will save me many bux. I'm looking for a 55", 1080p TV, and 120Hz would be a nice bonus. Last I heard, Sony was using Samsung panel parts now, so it seems like I should just stick with Samsung? Vizio seems like a legit contender as well, though when I first looked into them (granted, years ago), they didn't seem that great. Are they better now? I generally know which brands to stick with (LG, Samsung, Sony, Panasonic, Sanyo), but again being out of the TV game so long, maybe that's changed?

Thanks for any and all help!

What's your budget? The best 1080p TV out is any of the 55" LG OLED sets, if you have the money.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Get a free Xbox One S with a purchase of a 55-inch LG 4K television at Best Buy - $799.98

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

I just unplugged one HDMI cable so I could plug in another, and had trouble getting it plugged in. Then I found I couldn't plug the first cable back in:

WTF https://imgur.com/gallery/igpQo

Think this is fixable by an end user, or will this need a trained tech?

Also, open to suggestions on a cheap, simple but good receiver or HDMI splitter or switcher.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Black Friday HDTV Megathread for 2016 has started. Only one ad so far, but you know more are coming.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Just wanted to remind that the Black Friday HDTV megathread is underway, I've added a few more stores since I started:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3796229

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

One could almost say it's a fire sale.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

ratbert90 posted:

I am going to get a OLED TV today unless you guys think there might be a good black Friday deal. :)

According to this, it looks like the only OLEDs will be 55" @ $1999

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Is there a goon-recommended HDMI splitter? My HDMI 2 port has stopped working.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

How old is your TV?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

I'm afraid the problem is the people on Craigslist.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Odd question, I know: is there any way to find out what the largest TV available to consumers would have been in 1997?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

GreenNight posted:

might be too big.

THAT'S WHAT SHE SAID

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Bob Socko posted:

It's been years since I worked retail, but I remember people used to buy a big tv for the Super Bowl, then return it after the game. It might be worth checking your local stores next week for marked down returned TVs.

Costco put the kibosh on that a while back, or so I thought.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

100% positive feedback on 6000+ transactions could be a safe bet.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Oddly specific question, I know - but what are some good choices of model for a 40" Vizio TV? For my parents, to replace their crusty old E371VA.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

If anyone's looking for a deal, hhgregg is going out of business and closing all stores.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Somebody near me is selling a 65" Sony X900C with a defective panel for $450. Is it worth it to pick this up and try to obtain a replacement panel?

TITTIEKISSER69 fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Jul 16, 2017

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Also, I thought that the M series Vizios have true 120Hz tech while the E series do not.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

pliable posted:

Any thoughts on the TCL 55P607? Seems to strike a balance between nice and affordable but :shrug:

bull3964 posted:

Not at all, the X900E is one of this thread's recommended TVs. It just can be hard to justify the price compared to the budget options.

For a refresher, from least to most expensive. This is the 'goon list'.

TCL P605/7 (55" only)
Vizio 2017 M Series (really only if you want 65" since the TCL isn't in that size)
Sony X900E
Sony X930E
LG OLED

Otherwise, if you want the cheapest at pretty much any size point without getting garbage, buy a Vizio E series.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Astro7x posted:

I've seen that 55 inch OLED LG TV for $1,500 twice this week.

What are the odds of there being a better deal around Black Friday?

Here's last years Black Friday TV thread, with links to threads from prior years: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3796229

Perhaps you can see how discounted the top-flight models were each year and make a guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

If I wanted to buy a Sony W900A, what is the max I should spend on it?