Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

larchesdanrew posted:

I recently got a Vizio e550i-a1 and everything is fantastic about it, except for the fact that it randomly restarts for absolutely no reason I can discern. I've got pretty much everything set at base levels, no extra bells and whistles, and it will randomly restart, even if just sitting on a blank input screen.

Anyone else with a Vizio noticed anything like this?

We picked up a Vizio E500i-A1 this week and it's not doing that to us. (So far, at least.)

It's a pretty nice set for what it is; now I just wish Netflix had more good stuff streaming. SmartTV has spoiled me to ever putting a disc in the player again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

effika
Jun 19, 2005
I want a small TV to watch OTA and free Roku stuff in my sewing room- max 32" and honestly since it's background stuff about 24“ would be fine and better fit the space.

Stand-alone TV plus a Roku stick, or a Roku TV from TCL?

I was thinking the stick plus whatever TV was more flexible and future-proof, but there are some cheap Roku tvs... Any opinions?

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Animale posted:

We just bought a 32" TCL since the lady friend wanted a tv we could easily carry outside to watch Ted Lasso as we ate dinner (my Sony from 2017 doesn't do Apple and the side loaded app version is super buggy). There's a 720P version and a 1080P version, the lady friend asked me about this and we got the 1080p version from a semi-local Best Buy we visited after a hike, as to make the transaction not feel as dirty.

How do you all like it so far? I saw WireCutter liked it too, but then I saw a bunch of comments about it being slow and the sound laggy, both there and at Amazon and Best Buy. I don't know that the slow menus will bother me, since we have an old Vizio as our main TV that takes 5 seconds to switch inputs.

(I'm going to pick up something in person so I can check that the panel isn't cracked; we had to go through more than one TV last time with shipping!)

effika
Jun 19, 2005
I need a TV to watch antenna channels. I have an extra Chromecast. I don't need any apps on the TV but don't mind them. I will not hook a TV up to the internet ever again if it means putting up with extra ads or buggy app bullshit. What are my options in the 24" range? (It's a sewing station TV, so it's small on purpose.) I think I will never buy my current brand of TV again.

You see, I did have the perfect TV, a little Vizio model. Unfortunately it updated and now I can only get to the antenna channels via their WatchFree+ app, which I have been unable to successfully get to load any actual antenna content with. I can't get it to factory reset to get rid of the update (and then never hook this trash up to the internet again) so I can actually use the TV.

Just as we get extra severe whether that I need to keep up with! Perfect time to not have any local TV coverage at all, except through the internet. I hate technology.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

wash bucket posted:

Best Buy's house brand of Insignia TVs come in small sizes and they're some of the last TVs on the market that aren't smart TVs.

Insignia™ - 24" Class N10 Series LED HD TV

Are they cheap pieces of junk? Probably. But they're also $65. Buy two of them and keep one on a shelf in the closet as a spare. That's exactly what my grumpy father does because he hates the idea of smart TVs.

Thanks! This should work just fine for antenna channels (that never look that good anyway) or some background Hulu viewing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

effika
Jun 19, 2005
IR only works by line of sight; it's not like Bluetooth or wifi.

However, there are little infrared repeaters you can buy. Stick the new receiver somewhere easier to point at, and then the repeater transmitter where it will hit the TV's receiver.

Not vouching for this one, but it's the kind of device you want:

https://a.co/d/1Ix6usq