Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Zodack posted:

So I'm looking to make my first upgrade to a new TV after sitting on a rather old 20-something inch from college. Now that I'm gainfully employed and have a budget (and a PS4 Pro, etc) I've done a bit of research around my budget and the Sony XBR55X900E seems to be a good 4k HDR 55" widely agreed upon to be good for gaming (or at least it keeps popping up when I read those kinds of articles).

It's been sitting at 1,198 on Amazon for a while now, and I've been holding off because I keep hearing "things go on sale after Christmas, like TVs". I don't particularly need it now, after all, and aroune $1,000 is how much I'd like to drop on a new TV.

Today it dropped to $998 with the caveat that it could arrive after Christmas.

Is all of that bogus? Should I jump on it? Or do things actually go on sale after Christmas. For what it's worth, price tracking that particular TV on Amazon lists the $998 price point at the lowest it's ever been - using Honey, at least.

Not entirely related buy the 850E you can get 10 more inches but it's nebulously "worse" in some regard. Performance vs. Performance+? Frankly looking at the two models side by side at my local Best Buy I could tell something was better about the 900E but it was a very small something.

bull3964 posted:

That's a good price and I wouldn't expect it to drop much further until May when they start clearing out the 2017 models for 2018.

The x850e vs. the x900e has actually been discussed in the past few pages. In short, it's an IPS panel so it sacrifices overall black oevel for viewing angles and doesn't get as bright which is a detriment to HDR.

Only the 75 inch model of the x850e has an IPS panel, the 65 inch has a VA panel like the x900e. The difference in price comes mainly from the different backlight technology featured in the two sets. The x850e is edge lit (one strip of LEDs at the bottom of the screen that lights the entire panel), whereas the x900e has a full array backlight (LEDs are behind the entire screen and not just at the bottom). This difference translates to higher peak brightness on the x900e which is important for HDR content and a better contrast, as the x900e can turn off parts of it's backlight to make some parts of the image dimmer while having other parts stay fully lit, the x850e can only dim the entire at once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Upgrading from 1080p to 4K implies a more substantial difference than upgrading from 1080p to 2160p or even 2K to 4K, as it is a quadrupling of numbers rather than a doubling.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Anyone familiar with bias lighting like this: https://www.amazon.com/Antec-Lighting-HDTV-51-1-Inch-increase/dp/B007TG5EG8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1513805833&sr=8-1 ?
I watched IT in a darkened room tonight and noticed how grey my blacks seemed in a lot of scenes, I wonder if that thing might be able to alleviate that perception somewhat.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

veiled boner fuel posted:

So you think Samsung regressed between 2016 and 2017 or you think other manus advanced more rapidly which would make the KS8000 even more dogshit than 2017 Samsungs?

The former, Samsung sort of split the KS line into two, the MU8000 and the Q6, one of which is the same price but worse and the other is more of a real successor but also more expensive.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Basticle posted:

Hi, the OP seems pretty dang out of date so forgive me for not reading the whole thread, is there a current go-to-pick for ~52" 1080p to be used exclusively for Netflix and Blu-ray?

1080p TVs aren't really a thing anymore and without knowing your budget, the only recommendation one can make is the LG B7 or C7 as it's the best TV regardless of use case (save for exclusively watching HDR in a brightly lit environment).

Incessant Excess fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Dec 22, 2017

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Basticle posted:

Oh, lol :downs:

Uhh ok then is there a go-to recommendation around that size under $500?

Take a look at the Vizio E50-E1 or see if anything else from here strikes your fancy, it's a pretty good resource: https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/best/by-price/under-500

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I believe the black level doesn't really matter as long as both, TV and source, are set to the same one.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
LG's OLEDs are fantastic, their LCDs are poo poo cause they use IPS panels that just aren't very good, likely cause LG's r&d focus is on the oled division.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Rastor posted:

The ASUS ROG Swift PG65 is a 65-inch 4K display with 120Hz refresh rate, 1000 nits brightness, full-array local dimming, and nVidia G-Sync support

https://www.techpowerup.com/240392/asus-republic-of-gamers-announces-rog-swift-pg65-bfgd

Note that this seems to lack a TV tuner, making it a big monitor rather than a TV.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Rastor posted:

The smarts are powered by an nVidia Shield

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkReO19HXJU

So you can presumably plug in any TV source you could use on a Shield, including USB and network tuners for antenna and Cable TV

I'm a bit confused. Does the regular shield have a network tuner built-in or is it an attachment you can buy?

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Rastor posted:

Apparently besides ASUS, Acer and HP will also be making these nVidia Shield gaming display things.

Edit: here is the Acer
https://www.techpowerup.com/240413/acer-unveils-65-inch-predator-big-format-gaming-display-with-nvidia-g-sync

Man, that is one stupid looking stand, however, it's not even the worst one:

Having that tacky PC gaming look on a desk is one thing but who would want that in their living room. Absolutely hideous.

EDIT:

Here's the HP one, the least offensive looking one imo:

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Residency Evil posted:

When do these generally come out?

I believe you'll see the mainstream model (C8 rather than the B8 as that one has been gimped a bit) in the spring with the rest of the lineup in time for the world cup in the summer.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

bull3964 posted:

Nividia said that they are targeting even the very large displays to be sitting on the desk. These are not intending to be living room TVs.

Why does it have the shield and streaming features then?

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Rastor posted:

I think probably nVidia saying "these are not intending to be living room TVs" can actually be translated as "we are not going to compete on price with other brands of TVs, these are XXXTREME GAMERRR products and there is an accompanying markup"

65 inch full array local dimming alone means this thing won't be cheap. Gonna be interesting if they price it higher than a 65 inch C8 OLED.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
3 seconds sounds about right for my Sony as well if I had to guess.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Rastor posted:

The X900E sets are followed on by the X900F series. They are now available in a wider range of sizes (49, 55, 65, 75, and 85 inches). They get the X1 Extreme processor instead of the X1 non-Extreme. And they get Dolby Vision support.

That mean no more X930?

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Looking at two Sonys at the moment, both 55 inch:

XE900 for 1220 Euros
XE930 for 1460 Euros

Trying to decide if the 930 is worth it for me. I like the idea of higher brightness and deeper blacks due to the better local dimming but I'm kinda torn.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

qirex posted:

I wonder if the X900F will have 3 or even 4 fully usable HDMI ports. Is there a huge per port license fee or something? There's a lot of hardware with some HDMI 2.0/HDCP 2.2 ports.

Jeez, here I was thinking only my X850E did that since it was an entry model and all.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Doom Rooster posted:

So my bedroom TV finally died. It was a 1080p Samsung from like 8 years ago that has been great.

I was excited to finally upgrade to 4K and OLED, but the space the TV fits into can handle 48" MAX. Amazon doesn't appear to even have an OLED 4K TV smaller than 55" so that's out, apparently.

I'm willing to spend up to $1,200, which I figure should get me something pretty good for the size. It will be hooked up to a PC (GTX 1080 card) and be used for 90% TV/Movies, and 10% gaming (Civ-like games mostly). It will be hooking into a soundbar and sub receiver that can take HDMI or optical.

Any advice?

Maybe check to see if the bezels on the Sony 49X900E are small enough to fit? I believe it's the best TV under 55 inches and it's on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Sony-XBR49X900E-49-Inch-Ultra-Smart/dp/B01N284JCN

The smallest TV OLED is 55 inches by the way, so it's not just Amazon that doesn't have them.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

comper posted:

It doesn’t have the same chipset as the C8 and the other higher-end models which has been touted as the new main feature this year for motion processing and I’m sure overall OS snappiness.

Exactly. Also note that that wasn't the case for the 2017 lineup, where all the chips were the same.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

smackfu posted:

What’s the typical setup people use nowadays? Input sources plugged into TV then an optical output to an amp or sound bar?

This is how I roll. Pretty basic but it allowed me to keep my peripherals when upgrading to a 4k TV. :shrug:

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Having read and watched reviews, not owning an OLED myself, I think you need to be closer to the videophile end of the spectrum than the casual end. Overall the OLED is better but in certain areas the X900E has an advantage (motion handling, peak brightness).

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Godinster posted:

Is there any reason to wait for the 2018 LG OLEDs if I can get a 65" B7 for $2950ish Canadian? I'm using a 5-6 year old mid-tier Samsung plasma and the advent of 4K/HDR Linux ISOs flooding the internet right now has my interest growing at maybe upgrading.

I think the support for black frame insertion is the biggest new feature of the 2018 models, supposedly makes motion handling a lot better.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

defaultluser posted:

But it will come at the cost of even lower brightness, which is already an issue for OLED.

Unless they're massively improving peak brightness, the only time you 'll use that is if your TV room is as dark as a theater.

I think peak brightness is getting a 20% bump but don't quote me for that.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Can someone explain to me how local dimming works exactly? I know the basics (TV can dim individual parts of the backlight, not just the entire thing at once) but I'm curious when exactly it activates. Is it just for completely black sections of the screen, like the black bars of a 2.35:1 aspect ratio movie for example, or does it also work when you're, say, playing a racing game and a dark blue car drives past you?

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Thanks, interesting stuff!

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I believe current OLEDs can reach about half the brightness of top tier LEDs, that's still a pretty significant difference.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I find it quite pleasant on my Sony, still gets more than bright enough too but I tend to watch in dark environments. :shrug:

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Mercrom posted:

That sounds awesome. That one costs a bit though. I'll check rtings for cheaper alternatives.

I think the next step down is the X850E which features the same image processing chip and thus the same motion handling capabilities. You miss out on the direct backlight and the full array local dimming that comes with it tho, which is a pretty big deal feature.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
That's a good price.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
There's also not a huge difference between LG's 2016 and 2017 OLEDs so if the price is good enough, and I reckon this one is, no harm in buying.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I'm looking into replacing my X850E since I'm not really that impressed with it's HDR performance and there's two TVs I'm closely considering:

Sony 55X930E - 1450 Euro
LG 55B7V - 1590 Euro

I'm wondering if the higher price on the OLED is worth it as I'd already be on the high end of what I'd like to spend with the Sony. Mainly looking for HDR performance in both, movies and videogames.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
LG B7 is the best 55 inch TV you can buy with your budget so this seems like a pretty easy choice.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
You don't really see a lot of people saying I regret spending money on an OLED or something similar.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Roundboy posted:

Same boat. FedEx just dropped off my lg oled. Didn't even calibrate or change any settings yet and it's awesome. The viewing angles are insane too

I see these recommended pretty often for the B7 series, the guys at AVS Forums generally know what they're doing:

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-display-calibration/2853954-lg-2017-oled-calibration-thread-settings-22.html#post54906032

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
For folks with a 7 series OLED, what kinda OLED light setting are you using? I'm using the ISF dark room picture mode and had to turn it down to a lil under 50.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I think TVs maybe do some motion processing that monitors can't do because it would add input lag. I certainly can't say that I noticed anything as bad as the gif you posted on past VA TVs I've had, being further from the screen than with a monitor might also be a factor.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Pretty hefty jump for those last 10 inches, but I guess the bigger you go the more difference a couple inches make.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I get a general question that might be a lil stupid. If I got a soundbar hooked up to the HDMI 2 port say, is it possible to get the video from a device on HDMI 3 with the audio still coming from the soundbar on HDMI 2? The TV in question is an LG B7 in case that matters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Don Lapre posted:

Do you mean you have a soundbar plugged into hdmi 2

You have a ps4 plugged into hdmi 3

You want the ps4 sound to come out of the soundbar ?

If so yes, that is arc

Thanks, that was exactly what I meant. I changed my soundbar to be hooked up via HDMI now, rather than optical as it was before.

EDIT: I'm a bit ashamed to admit it but, I have had this soundbar and an ARC capable TV for 4 years.

Incessant Excess fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Feb 13, 2018