Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I have a Mitsubishi 73" DLP (yeah the kind with bulbs). It's been working amazing since I got it in 2010. Now all of a sudden when I hit the power button to turn it on, it clicks then shuts right off immediately. I'm guessing that's not the bulb. Looking online, it seems I'm screwed. Anyone seen that before? I'm no EE so I'm not comfortable checking caps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Avian Pneumonia posted:

Yeah I think I was mistaken.

Looks like the best option is just going to be DVI to the tv from the video card.

That wouldn't carry sound. If possible do straight HDMI. Most newer cards have that standard.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

I got a 73" DLP from Amazon. It's a huge fucker, and basically it was a special delivery service and two jacked dudes brought it into my house.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

I'd just go to Best Buy and see if you can find the same TV so you can see what model it is. Sounds like a Samsung.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

The biggest problem with a lot of the SmartTV apps is that they are rarely if ever updated. So if the Netflix app is poo poo, or Netflix changes something, the app might be stuck like that.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

LG updated the Netflix app in their system to the new version not too long ago.

Nice, I wonder how often Vizio does.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

You can get HDMI wall plates on Monoprice for cheap as poo poo, then run your own HDMI cables which are also cheap as poo poo on Monoprice. You can even get HDMI to Ethernet adapters and run Ethernet instead of HDMI.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Looks like component cables.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Cyrezar posted:

That's a drat good idea, especially as we've established it's drat near useless as it.

If you use an existing cable as a pull rope, make sure you pull something else with it so you always have a pull rope.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

StickFigs posted:

Would I be able to get a good 50" HDTV primarily for gaming bought used for around $900? I'm trying to decide on a size between 42"-50" to replace my 32" Panasonic and I'd like to get one with better or equivalent picture quality.

Something like this is pretty good:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GKKI4JI/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=2PSI31R6E3MFE&coliid=I3MHNCRA3ZWOUJ&psc=1

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

I play games on a TV with an input lag of twice that much and absolutely don't notice a difference, and goons seem to love the TV, but OK good luck.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

merk posted:

Does $699 seem reasonable for the 55"? It looks standard on places I'm looking.

Yes, I haven't seen it any lower and I've been keeping an eye on it.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

I typically just google the model and calibration settings. Typically someone has already figured out what looks best for them, and that's enough for me.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Don't discount the inexpensive mounts from Monoprice either - at work, we've purchased a half dozen from here and they work great:

http://www.monoprice.com/Category?c_id=109&cp_id=10828&gclid=CMDvseL8mb4CFWNgMgodpC0AXw

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Is the HDMI spec for 4k finished yet?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Tide posted:

Wait until Black Friday and see what deals come about.

Waiting until November? Too many months of not having a big TV.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

I'm looking at the Vizio M551D-A2R to purchase - I'm guessing that's the 2013 model? Is there an equivalent 2014 model?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

You may want to try e-bates too. I know if I go there, then buy something from Target's website I get 2.5% back. Which is how I'm probably going to buy the $699 Vizio I've been eying. Free shipping too.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Woot is selling a bunch of refurb Vizios for cheap. Good prices, but only a 90 day warranty.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

mune posted:

I'm also interested in this - I'm looking to get a great 60" TV that will mostly be used for Netflix and PS4 gaming and looking to spend <$1200. Is this feasible?

It's not terrible, but you do get what you pay for - according to this review:

http://reviews.lcdtvbuyingguide.com/panasonic-lcd-tv/panasonic-tc50as530u.html

Sorry, that review is pretty barebones, some of their others are much more in depth.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

mune posted:

What about the Vizio M602I-B3? I've heard really positive things about it.

That's the one I'll probably be buying next week. I've heard some terrible things about the remote, but that's it. AVSForums has a bunch of people who purchased it.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

I haven't been able to find that specific model at Walmart, Best Buy or Target. They seem to only have the 2013 models at the moment.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

mune posted:

They have it at my local Costco. The last thing I need to make sure is that it's a good TV for playing games on because I can't seem to get a straight answer re: input lag.

From everything I've read, it's pretty good as long as you change the mode to GAME on the HDMI port where you are gaming on. Goes from 300ms to around 25ms.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

I also ordered that TV but won't be getting it for a few weeks. I scheduled delivery the same day I move into my new place.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Tab8715 posted:

Eh, crap... Is there any other alternative that has roughly the same specs but with a matte-finish?

Not with Vizio. All of their bezels are the same. I think some of the high end Samsungs are matte, but they are $2000+.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Yeah for the $800 savings I'd run electrical tape over the Vizio bezel.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Yeah, I expect that's the case. I've been using a 73" DLP for the last few years and hope to be blown away by the new one. The person buying my condo asked for my DLP to be thrown in. Yay don't have to move the beast!

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

kri kri posted:

WHat are my options for mounting my center channel speaker above my tv? I see these vesa mounts but they look pretty cheap. http://www.bestbuy.com/site/center-...5&skuId=5857191

How much does it weight? Just get a floating book shelf and have a nice day.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Sorry for the thread necromancy but did you end up getting this TV? I am in a similar position: wanting a new TV primarily for playing PS4 and watching sports and movies and was looking at the 55'' version of this Vizio: http://www.amazon.com/VIZIO-M552i-B...#productDetails

I am also looking at similar models from Sony and Sharp (my last TV was a 46'' Sharp Aquos that I am only upgrading from because I don't have the original packaging and this moving company is charging $300 to move it.)

I will be pulling the trigger within the next couple weeks so any input would be appreciated.

I got the 60" ver of this TV and it's been pretty sweet so far. There are calibration settings on the net you'd want to do on every god drat input, but it looks pretty great. I've been mainly watching Dish and playing Steam. No problems.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Probably get $500 for it or so.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

I have the 60" M series and it's been pretty fantastic so far. Just make sure you google calibration settings and do it for each input.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Pryor on Fire posted:

I picked up one of these but googling model number + calibration settings just turns up a bunch of random idiots posting reviews on amazon and cnet. Is there some authoritative guide or suggestions for calibrating these Vizios out there?

Well, I've been using the one on cnet:

http://forums.cnet.com/7723-19410_102-620533/vizio-m602i-b3-picture-settings/

Made quite a difference.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

I used to have a 73" DLP and that was perfectly fine @ 1080p.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

I've had that happen. Try unplugging it and letting it sit for an hour, then turn it on. That's worked for me in the past.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Not really. My Vizio M series (2014), it's super easy to just forget about it. It's not in your face.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Check Monoprice and read the reviews. People are pretty good about saying if something is poo poo. I've mounted a dozen TV's and just make sure you mount them to studs. Don't trust hollow wall fasteners.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

So you can turn it off right?

Yes, I've never come across a TV where you couldn't.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Honestly, I'm more interested in 4K when companies like Dish and etc start broadcasting 4k channels.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Yeah most HDTV channels on Dish look pretty excellent. Even sounds good with a 5.1 setup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Stands are for chumps and apartment dwellers.