Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

samurai slowdown
Jun 11, 2006

POWER UP

bull3964 posted:

Race to the bottom. It was bound to happen, but it's still drat disappointing. The thing that always suffers with this race is the moderately priced higher quality products.

The market undergoes extreme stratification and you are left with the low end that's differentiated by varying level of features with de-emphasis on quality and the expensive high end that only enthusiasts will (and can afford to) buy.

Everyone who cares about quality about the core function of the product over all else, gets the shaft.

The focus from OLED to 4k is also an example of this. OLED had the ability to REALLY improve the quality of the picture you see. 4k is a resolution that no one at home needs unless they are projecting on to a 100" screen and want to diminish the screen door effect.

The vast majority of people watching their 40" LCDs at 15 feet in their living room would benefit so much more from OLED, they are already not seeing everything their current resolution has to offer.

I'm shocked they didn't bail sooner. Even if they could have worked out the manufacturing issues, the risk of burn in combined with the high price tag would have scared most consumers away. It would have been a more expensive version of the LCoS fiasco if they had pushed forward.

Maybe Sony can pull a miracle out of their rear end with "Crystal LED" but I'm not holding my breath. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

samurai slowdown
Jun 11, 2006

POWER UP

LaserWash posted:

Anyone want to explain to me why this might be as cheap as it is?

http://tinyurl.com/bexcggu

55" Slim LED/LCD, 120 Hz Tru Motion, 1080p, $850, made by LG

This seems like a steal for what you get.

It's a dumbTV, but I have an ATV3 and PS3 to attach to this.

It's a solid set, but there was some kind of manufacturing gently caress up with most of LG's 2012 "Tru Motion" TVs so a lot of them shipped without any way to enable "Tru Motion". Some of the more expensive ones were fixed with a firmware update but LG is playing dumb about the rest. The only entry and mid level LG TVs advertised as 120hz that actually seem to have it enabled are the CS570 and LS5700 models. If you don't care about 120hz I think it's still worth considering.

I noticed that Cnet savaged the LS4600 which is basically the same TV with an extra HDMI port. They were right to complain about the clouding but I've seen worse on more expensive sets. The rest of his complaints are kind of stupid when you realize he's comparing two very different types of LCD panels (IPS and VA) and whining that one doesn't behave like the other. Watching the video review is surreal because you can see the actual picture quality while the reviewer is making GBS threads all over it.

tl;dr: a decent TV with a few issues and also Cnet is dumb

samurai slowdown
Jun 11, 2006

POWER UP

Don Lapre posted:

120hz and trumotion/motion interpolation are not the same thing.

I know that, but I think you'll understand why I posted what I posted if you read this.

samurai slowdown
Jun 11, 2006

POWER UP

LaserWash posted:

Looking at this:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1408659/lg-trumotion-missing-specific-to-42lm-47lm-55lm-series-excludes-lm7600-and-newer

It appears that the problem has been fixed. I'm interested enough in this set to make a trip to best buy, ask to look at the settings in the menus and/or take a set home myself and see if the issue has been fixed. To the untrained eye (mine), this set seemed to have everything I wanted and also look (display wise) better than the other TVs that were sitting around it.

Here's part of the post this guy wrote on the OP. He seems to have spent a lot of time on this:

The review CNET did was in November. So it can't be because the guy was reviewing the old firmware... or is it. I'm so confused. :suicide:

I don't want to disqualify this because of something that doesn't exist as a problem. I think the set looks great, but I don't want to pay for something that is being advertised as being there and isn't. :bang:

The issue was only fixed in some of the higher end LM series TVs. The LS4500 and the other models I listed in my earlier post do not have Trumotion in any way shape or form.

Don Lapre posted:

Its still 2 different things.

The real issue here is LG is selling 60hz tv with backlight scanning and claiming they are 120hz, instead of using a real 120hz panel. This has nothing to do with trumotion.

Now putting 120 or 240 on a tv box and using backlight scanning isn't new or unusual, but other companies wont call it 120hz, they would call it simulated 120hz, effective 120hz, or something like that.

You still don't understand. The TV model he's asking about along with three other models don't even have the motion interpolation advertised on the box because of a manufacturing gently caress up. I know the difference between actual 120hz refresh and the trumotion/motionflow/clearmotion bullshit but I am more concerned about making sure he understands that the TV he's asking about does not do either of them.

samurai slowdown
Jun 11, 2006

POWER UP

geera posted:

Just wanted to say thanks for posting this. I went to Best Buy today and picked one of these up for the Walmart sale price. Enjoying it so far, but I'm wondering if there's a good way to calibrate the screen? I turned the lamp and brightness up a bit but I'm noticing a tiny bit of backlight bleeding in one of the corners when the screen is black or very dark. Could that be from turning the lamp up?

Turning up the back light and brightness settings will make it more noticeable but it won't cause it. There's really no way to get perfect screen uniformity out of anything back lit or in this case, edge lit. As long as it isn't bad enough to be distracting in bright scenes your TV is normal. The built in picture wizard is supposed to be ok but a lot of people use discs like DVE or Disney's WOW. A few people have posted their personal settings in this thread on the AVS forums.

samurai slowdown
Jun 11, 2006

POWER UP

AzCoug posted:

How do you get rid of that??

Some Sharp models won't let you turn it off. Look for Fine Motion Enhancement or AquoMotion in the picture settings and turn it off if you find one of them. If that doesn't work you can try changing the picture mode to film or game as a possible work around.

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

What would explain the random white flicker that my 55" led LG is doing? (1080p, 120hz, non 3d)

I'm not sure what you mean by white flicker. If the entire screen turns a solid color (or black) for a split second, that could be an HDMI "handshake" issue. Cable boxes are notorious for flaky HDMI support. If the issue happens on more than one input then it is a problem with the TV itself.

samurai slowdown
Jun 11, 2006

POWER UP

thedouche posted:

I'm looking at a 39" LG LED (http://m.bestbuy.com/m/e/product/detail.jsp?skuId=7552071&pid=1218851199169&pcatId=abcat0101000). How do I find the refresh rate. My vidya games playing well (ie not being too laggy/motion blurry) is my main requirement.

The refresh rate is 60hz so motion blur will be on par with most other LCD sets. A lot of manufacturers don't bother publishing the actual response times anymore but most sets are between 5-7ms these days. You do not want to use any kind of motionflow/trumotion/120/240 bullshit while playing video games because it adds a gently caress ton of input lag. If motion blur is that much of a deal breaker then you might want to consider a plasma.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

samurai slowdown
Jun 11, 2006

POWER UP

rmx posted:

Sorry for the not quite hdtv question but you guys know a lot about this stuff. Is it possible to create any sort of lag by having the "wrong" reference level setting for my 360 to HP 2509m monitor through hdmi? I've been reading about this 0-255 and 16-238 stuff and I'm not sure how it interacts with a pc monitor or if standard means video standard or pc standard, and if extended is only for vga or not? Not a big deal but the more I learn about display technology the more anal I get.

The short answer is that picking either wouldn't cause any additional input lag, but picking the full/expanded/deep color/whatever option on a display that doesn't support it can cause "black crush". Black crush is the loss of detail in dark areas. For example, a black suit would look like a solid black blob without any visible folds or detail. Even if your monitor had a 10-bit panel, there's nothing on the 360 that uses that feature anyway. I would choose standard.