Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
Did anyone else used to play Vs.? Because when I looked through the Rebel cards and saw all the crazy combo poo poo you can do with Leia, all I could think of was Teen Titans Go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf
I'm not sure exactly how useful this is, but I got incredibly bored and made a spreadsheet of values by objective set. Things like, total cost of cards within the objective set, number of units etc. I probably could've gotten more in depth with it, but I didn't really feel like splitting up the strike values in edge/non-edge dependent. I also lumped objective enhancements in with "Enhance Play Area" and I didn't discern between regular and vehicle unit enhancements.

I got the idea to do this when I decided to build a deck that would revolve around holding the balance of the force, and I figured it'd be nice to know the total Force values that units had in each objective. You'll still need to dig deeper into an objective set and read the text of the cards to actually know what your getting, but this should give you a high level view of your deck's values and card distribution once you filter for your objectives.

Star Wars LCG - Objective Spread

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

My favorite part of this hobby is the rules arguments.
Very cool, Bosushi!

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

Bosushi! posted:

I'm not sure exactly how useful this is, but I got incredibly bored and made a spreadsheet of values by objective set. Things like, total cost of cards within the objective set, number of units etc. I probably could've gotten more in depth with it, but I didn't really feel like splitting up the strike values in edge/non-edge dependent. I also lumped objective enhancements in with "Enhance Play Area" and I didn't discern between regular and vehicle unit enhancements.

I got the idea to do this when I decided to build a deck that would revolve around holding the balance of the force, and I figured it'd be nice to know the total Force values that units had in each objective. You'll still need to dig deeper into an objective set and read the text of the cards to actually know what your getting, but this should give you a high level view of your deck's values and card distribution once you filter for your objectives.

Star Wars LCG - Objective Spread

Added to the OP! Very useful! Thanks!

Xeus
Dec 6, 2005
COPS NEVER LIE
*slurp* *slurrrrp* mmmm cop cock oh God so good in my mouth like this
This thread needs more love. I'm seriously considering selling my $500+ MTG collection and playing this full time now.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Xeus posted:

This thread needs more love. I'm seriously considering selling my $500+ MTG collection and playing this full time now.

It takes a few months for LCGs to really pick up steam. Same thing happened with Netrunner, people swore it was a great game but doomed to failure for small card pool and lack of organized play, but then those things both started to fix themselves and now it's ramping up. I imagine the same will happen with Star Wars. If there was an LCG equivalent of Friday Night Magic, where I knew on any given weekly day I could just go to a store and play, I'd be very very happy. I know it won't get to quite that point in the same way that no MMO will ever be WoW again, but still, a bigger community not dependent on single monthly events would be nice.

Also, it took me a few plays before I really started to see the game emerge. At first I was like oh whatever it's a light magic clone, you drop creatures and they fight, whatever. But then the resource system and the edge battle and combat systems started to gel and it's really a drastically different game than any other I have played.

Then I theorycrafted how to take out Heart of the Empire in one turn with a Leia/Red5/WookieNavigator combo and now I basically have to play forever until I get to do that.

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf
I updated the spreadsheet to distinguish between Edge and Non-Edge dependent strikes. I also updated it to allow you to input the number of copies of each objective so you can better see the values of your deck.

I just ordered my second Core set and can't wait to get the deck building variety.

Dominion posted:

It takes a few months for LCGs to really pick up steam. Same thing happened with Netrunner, people swore it was a great game but doomed to failure for small card pool and lack of organized play, but then those things both started to fix themselves and now it's ramping up. I imagine the same will happen with Star Wars.

Yeah, this game definitely needs a bigger card pool. A second core is mandatory if you want to do any sort of interesting/effective deck building. Once some Force packs come out it'll do better.

Free Gratis fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Jan 23, 2013

Xeus
Dec 6, 2005
COPS NEVER LIE
*slurp* *slurrrrp* mmmm cop cock oh God so good in my mouth like this

Dominion posted:

If there was an LCG equivalent of Friday Night Magic, where I knew on any given weekly day I could just go to a store and play, I'd be very very happy. I know it won't get to quite that point in the same way that no MMO will ever be WoW again, but still, a bigger community not dependent on single monthly events would be nice.

My comic store does fantasy flight games on Wednesdays, its getting twice the numbers as FNM so far. Its also a much better night for me which is another reason I'm looking to make the change.

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

Xeus posted:

My comic store does fantasy flight games on Wednesdays, its getting twice the numbers as FNM so far. Its also a much better night for me which is another reason I'm looking to make the change.

My local shop has pretty much all but stopped FNM. They do A LOT more WoW cards and DC cards than they ever did with FNM.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Red Robin Hood posted:

My local shop has pretty much all but stopped FNM. They do A LOT more WoW cards and DC cards than they ever did with FNM.

DC Cards? Is there a new DC comics CCG? I played the hell out of Vs. System when that was a thing.

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

Dominion posted:

DC Cards? Is there a new DC comics CCG? I played the hell out of Vs. System when that was a thing.

Came out Nov, 30 2012: http://www.cryptozoic.com/games/dc-comics-deck-building-game or http://amzn.to/10GUXqs

Psyker
Jun 21, 2004

[Binge and] Purge the xenos!

Red Robin Hood posted:

This is fun for me to read. My LGS has 50+ person FNM's weekly, with 30+ Thursday night drafts. Tuesday is 'board game night,' which is code for the same 6 people playing Axis and Allies for 4 hours. Otherwise it's just magic magic magic.

In other words, a downer.

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

Still stoked about this game. I have reckoned that if Luke has Trust Your Feelings on him, he strikes in a combat, gets focused, then you focus TYF, and Luke can strike again as he is still an un-Focused participant in a combat. Toss in a lightsaber, and he can wreck most games in two turns.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Has anyone done any serious deckbuilding with this?

Is it viable to pick the "best" objectives from two different factions (focusing on things with lower resource requirements), or are you pretty much restricted to one faction + maybe a neutral if you want to actually play your cards?

I figure you could probably get away with an out-of-faction objective if it came with lots of high-force and fate cards that you'd be dropping in an edge battle instead of trying to play, but is it feasible to put together two different factions and play most (if not all) of the cards?

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
Well not most of all if two factions because then your deck would be enormous.

But yes, split faction is very viable. Going 7/3 on objectives is ideal, with your identity card matching the 3, since then you are guaranteed to not get frozen out of one faction on the draw.

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf
There's actually one neutral objective in the core set that is designed specifically for multifaction decks. The objective itself and some of it's cards allow you to ignore faction resource requirements.

It's a bit of a waste of an objective slot though, and your much better off going with the strategy that Dominion mentioned.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
That one strikes me as being designed for three faction decks, which aren't really doable with only one set of Smuggler cards so far.

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

Bosushi! posted:

There's actually one neutral objective in the core set that is designed specifically for multifaction decks. The objective itself and some of it's cards allow you to ignore faction resource requirements.

It's a bit of a waste of an objective slot though, and your much better off going with the strategy that Dominion mentioned.

Unless one of the 7 is faction only. I use the LS one right now because I only splash Jedi, but I need the Rebel Fleet only objective, too.

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf

Feeple posted:

Unless one of the 7 is faction only. I use the LS one right now because I only splash Jedi, but I need the Rebel Fleet only objective, too.

And that's one of the downfalls of the small card pool at the moment.

Mobilize the Squadron's is an awesome objective, but it's actual pod of cards, with the exception of Rebel Assault, is weak. It's so much easier to leave it out if you have another Core set.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
I dunno man, Trench Run is pretty good.

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf

Dominion posted:

I dunno man, Trench Run is pretty good.

I'm not convinced of Trench Run's effectiveness. You'd need to draw it early for it to be worth your while, and you can't use cards that target objectives, like Rebel Assault, nor can the Light Side's balance of the Force effect be used. There's some people that also believe you can't use cards that target "engaged objective", like Attack of Opportunity. I believe it should, but all it takes is one tournament judge that believes otherwise.

You'd need to put 2 Mobilize the Squadron's to increase your early draw chances. You'd get an extra Rebel Assault, but you'd also get another Rookie Pilot.

I think the Jedi exclusive pod is much better.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Bosushi! posted:

I'm not convinced of Trench Run's effectiveness. You'd need to draw it early for it to be worth your while, and you can't use cards that target objectives, like Rebel Assault, nor can the Light Side's balance of the Force effect be used. There's some people that also believe you can't use cards that target "engaged objective", like Attack of Opportunity. I believe it should, but all it takes is one tournament judge that believes otherwise.

You'd need to put 2 Mobilize the Squadron's to increase your early draw chances. You'd get an extra Rebel Assault, but you'd also get another Rookie Pilot.

I think the Jedi exclusive pod is much better.

Yeah, I tried that, because the thought of Red 5 interacting with Leia was really tempting. But it didn't really work out. The Twilek guy is about as bad as a rookie pilot, and the objective itself is so-so so really you're in it for Red 5 and Double Strike.

More often than not I found myself with Red 5 and no Leia and no wookie or vice versa, and without the lockdown from other Jedi sets its hard to keep red 5 alive to do much damage.

I found myself missing the Rebel Assaults too much, and the crappy pilots can always get sacrificed to draw cards with You're my Only Hope or edge battled away anyway.

By the way, Wookie Navigator DEFINITELY works with Trench Run. But you're right that Rebel Assault does not.

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf

Dominion posted:

Yeah, I tried that, because the thought of Red 5 interacting with Leia was really tempting. But it didn't really work out. The Twilek guy is about as bad as a rookie pilot, and the objective itself is so-so so really you're in it for Red 5 and Double Strike.

More often than not I found myself with Red 5 and no Leia and no wookie or vice versa, and without the lockdown from other Jedi sets its hard to keep red 5 alive to do much damage.

I found myself missing the Rebel Assaults too much, and the crappy pilots can always get sacrificed to draw cards with You're my Only Hope or edge battled away anyway.

By the way, Wookie Navigator DEFINITELY works with Trench Run. But you're right that Rebel Assault does not.

The Jedi pod also has R2 and Target of Opportunity. The Twilek is definitely the low spot, but he at least has a tactics icon. I feel that it's definitely one of the more dense pods in the set right now.

Rebel Assault is such a good card that it's hard to ignore, but if Trench Run isn't out by at least turn 3 then the Rebel Assault is pretty much all you've got from the pod. There's always the other pod that has Rebel Assault.

I'll admit that most of my games have been Jedi vs Sith so I'm mainly theorycrafting at this point. I'm mainly comparing Trench Run to making runs on Heart of the Empire. If Heart flops during setup, you better believe I'm going after it. But if I've already blown up 1 objective and have damage on another, I'll probably let it go.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
The other good thing is that its ok that some subpar cards get included, since you dump so much on edge battles anyway.

Yeah, R2 is better the Rookie pilot, but the rebels don't need many resources to function well, and you're more than likely going to discard him anyway. Or sac him or use him to chump block or whatever. Same with trench run if you don't draw it early.

I mean, I get you, Journey To Dagobah is an awesome set. I just think it doesn't work as well in Rebels as I initially thought when I saw Red 5 and Double Strike.

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf

Dominion posted:

The other good thing is that its ok that some subpar cards get included, since you dump so much on edge battles anyway.

Yeah, R2 is better the Rookie pilot, but the rebels don't need many resources to function well, and you're more than likely going to discard him anyway. Or sac him or use him to chump block or whatever. Same with trench run if you don't draw it early.

I mean, I get you, Journey To Dagobah is an awesome set. I just think it doesn't work as well in Rebels as I initially thought when I saw Red 5 and Double Strike.

Sure, it's not going to work for every deck, I was mainly arguing against Trench Run as a good card.

If your deck is built in a way that requires Rebel Assaults then, by all means, put in two Mobilize the Squadrons. Just be aware that the luck of the draw may screw you over if you run 7 Rebel/3 Jedi. And certainly don't let Trench Run give you pause if you're thinking about removing the objective from your deck.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
Oh for sure, I agree with that. I ran 8/2 rebel/Jedi for the two Journey to Dagobah, and when I removed those I just went mono-Rebel.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
About how long do games usually go for you guys? I can put together an aggro DS deck that goldfishes a turn 5 win pretty reliably, but I have no idea whether that's good or bad or whatever.

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

Trench Run is there to force the issue. It becomes a huge priority for DS to prevent more than 5-6 damage to it, and it spreads their defensive capabilities.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
So I've played a grand total of two times so far and I'm already madly in love with this game. I have heard that to have a complete playset of objectives, two core sets are required. How vital is being able to use two of of the same objective pods when deck building? I'd rather avoid dropping $40 on a duplicate of something I already have, especially with more expansions and whatnot on the way, but if double-objectives is the way to go, competitively speaking, then I may have to make the investment.

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf

jivjov posted:

So I've played a grand total of two times so far and I'm already madly in love with this game. I have heard that to have a complete playset of objectives, two core sets are required. How vital is being able to use two of of the same objective pods when deck building? I'd rather avoid dropping $40 on a duplicate of something I already have, especially with more expansions and whatnot on the way, but if double-objectives is the way to go, competitively speaking, then I may have to make the investment.

Two Core sets is absolutely required for competetive play at this point and time, and I don't see that changing until quite a few expansions have been released. If you want to build a nice focused deck, you're going to want the ability to include 2 of some objectives in order to increase your chances of drawing important cards.

The good thing about this game is that even if you've already drawn and played your important cards, you can use any duplicates for edge battles.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
Well in other CCGs you generally try to max out copies of important cards in your deck. Here you do that by maxing out the objective by adding 2 copies. So if you want two copies of Luke in your deck instead of one, you need to Cores.

Don't think of it as a duplicate of a game you already have. Think of it as the REST of a game you have the intro box for.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Dominion posted:

Well in other CCGs you generally try to max out copies of important cards in your deck. Here you do that by maxing out the objective by adding 2 copies. So if you want two copies of Luke in your deck instead of one, you need to Cores.

Don't think of it as a duplicate of a game you already have. Think of it as the REST of a game you have the intro box for.

Oh I know the mentality behind it, I just didn't know how important having duplicates was in this particular game. The pre-built decks seem to run pretty well without having any duplicates.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

jivjov posted:

Oh I know the mentality behind it, I just didn't know how important having duplicates was in this particular game. The pre-built decks seem to run pretty well without having any duplicates.

I would say it comes down to playing for fun, or wanting to be competitive, if you plan to go to local stores and play, get two boxes, if friends come over and use your decks, then one core should be fine.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Just ordered my second core set. The starters made for a mediocre introduction to the game, but I really think that deckbuilding will make it shine. Not as much as Netrunner, I'm sure, but enjoyable enough to be worth learning. Balancing offense and defense seems to be the big thing to figure out, perhaps involving ways to win without dominating edge battles (which seem very all-or-nothing at first glance).

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

I'm excited to see what the expansions will bring, as I saw in a disrtibutor's magazine the first one is due in Feb. the pic showed but didn't spoil a new Darth Vader, and a Rogue Three.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Any word on exactly when to expect the first Hoth pack? I know "Q1 2013", but I haven't heard of anything nailing it down more concretely.

LordLobo
Dec 12, 2003

Not
gonna
take it
anymore
do note - CoolStuffInc.com has the base sets for $20 today

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
Pre-orders are on sale as well as the core game: http://www.coolstuffinc.com/page/1061

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

jivjov posted:

Any word on exactly when to expect the first Hoth pack? I know "Q1 2013", but I haven't heard of anything nailing it down more concretely.

My distributor has them dated for February

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

LordLobo posted:

do note - CoolStuffInc.com has the base sets for $20 today

Red Robin Hood posted:

Pre-orders are on sale as well as the core game: http://www.coolstuffinc.com/page/1061

Many thanks to you both; even with shipping costs, $25.44 is cheaper than I could have gotten a core set on Amazon for.

EDIT: Just played another round with my wife, and holy hell, Home One owns bones.

jivjov fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Jan 30, 2013

• Locked thread