Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
I'm not sure I like the gimmick behind this cycle, because gently caress color hosers.

I think the preview shows good signs on how to tackle color hoser (make it work on neutrals so it's not a total sideboard dud, focus hosing on given faction's ability to contest you at your own game), but still ehh on principle.

Also, the Jedi fate card is some ugly-rear end template.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
The worst things about the faction hate is that it's paired in the obvious and boring factions, if each faction got a pod to hate each other faction that could be good as it would give you some good meta if you could run 2-4 pods to help against whatever deck was winning and might help shake people off Jedi.

Although maybe that's a good thing, since Jedi won't get something to directly hose Navy, Rebels will and maybe that will finally shake people off of Jedi.

Then again that set is pretty OP so probably not.

frgildan
Apr 6, 2005

I went some place mum and everyday I woke up in that place and told myself I'm alive and I was.
The crazy part about custom paint job is you can use it on an objective and not worry about resource lock.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

frgildan posted:

The crazy part about custom paint job is you can use it on an objective and not worry about resource lock.

It's probably better to toss it on a Dagobah Training Ground or whatever other resource enhancement you have laying around. Your opponent isn't trying to actively kill those and there's not a lot of enhancement hate lying around other than Tarkin who could make it "fall off" whatever it was attached to anyway.

frgildan
Apr 6, 2005

I went some place mum and everyday I woke up in that place and told myself I'm alive and I was.
I hope darkside gets some version of this card. Sith libraries could use a fresh coat of paint.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Might abandon my fun sleuths deck for Rebel cap ships and take Imperial cap ships too for SC on Saturday :getin:

Rand Ecliptic
May 23, 2003

Jesus Saves! - And Takes Half Damage!!

Lichtenstein posted:

I'm not sure I like the gimmick behind this cycle, because gently caress color hosers.

I think the preview shows good signs on how to tackle color hoser (make it work on neutrals so it's not a total sideboard dud, focus hosing on given faction's ability to contest you at your own game), but still ehh on principle.

Also, the Jedi fate card is some ugly-rear end template.
'

What's a color hoser?

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Also reminder

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Rand Ecliptic posted:

What's a color hoser?

A card engineered to counter a particular faction, such as this:

Color hosers were included in Magic's development as a sort of balance safety valve if a particular color got oppressive.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

The Forest Moon may be one of the best overall packs. The weakest pod, the Jedi one, is still strong because Brainiac can combo well with other pods(Endor Leia comes to mind immediately).

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

http://www.antreduwookie.fr/2016/03/cycle-endor-force-pack-4-swjce-review.html

So Be It has

1) Even more Caravan of Courage canon
2) Rebel Mission that plain kills an objective of choice. :catstare:

Before you poo poo yourselves, it has 10 hp, so it's like an on-demand Guarding the Wing. Which is super cool imo, as it's effectively a trench run in a decent set that's still useful if you draw it few turns into the game.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Best thing in So Be It is another crazy good Navy set. Those loving Gladiators are ridiculous. The Interdictor is very good as well for preventing your opponent from escaping your overwhelming force.

Not thrilled by the Ewok set. Another neutral set is not good, and the design is just kind of lazy. The objective is good but did we really need 4 scrub Ewoks? If the Ewoks were like 1 resource unit's that would really help the ewoks out as their resource curve is hosed all to hell.

I'm also enthused for the Sith spawn set to finally arrive. I'm looking forward to finally getting to use Pic and Gorc's set.

The Rebel set looks good, I hope that they can get Rebel some steam with it and maybe finally get everyone to stop playing Jedi.

The Smugglers set is very meh, I guess each faction needs a throw away set that makes use of missions though.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Yeah, the Navy set is bonkers.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

alg posted:

Yeah, the Navy set is bonkers.

I already had a hell of a time deciding what to cut from:

1x Imperial Blockade (Edge of Darkness 88-1)
1x Repair and Refurbish (Balance of the Force 95-1)
2x The Tarkin Doctrine (Imperial Entanglements 178-1)
2x Might of the Empire (Imperial Entanglements 179-1)
2x Enforced Loyalty (Imperial Entanglements 180-1)
2x Imperial Entanglements (Imperial Entanglements 181-1)
2x Moon Blockade (The Forest Moon 200-1)

I tried this without Tarkin Doctrine tonight, had a bad draw but seriously all these sets are so good.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Any recommended starter decks? I've got 2 copies of the core coming this weekend.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
In terms of powerful decks, you can do some nasty work with the Sith in 2 cores. Palpatine and Vader's sets are still very, very strong.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2016/4/13/a-wretched-hive/

More stuff from Rebels. Wanna see that bo rifle.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

Mmm, new fate card is tasty. Also, they're reprinting A New Hope!

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

I hate these long previews. I want to use that new Navy set now.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

This poo poo is extremely my jam, especially given I really liked the Echoes cycle Scum cards.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Lichtenstein posted:

This poo poo is extremely my jam, especially given I really liked the Echoes cycle Scum cards.

I suppose I can't really complain about a Scum set that has resources and blast icons.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

Lichtenstein posted:

Pretty cool set! I always liked the sets that mess around with units committed to the Force, though they never quite seemed to get there. Maybe IG-88 will come out of retirement? Good number of force icons in the set, too.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Tricks with Droid's Task and Findsman Intuition will be Cracken-grade fun, loving the opponent over for both committing to the force struggle and ignoring it.

Also it makes Slave Trade and Spice Trade even better in a deck and that is never a bad thing.

Plus, it's a drat nice splash for Sith.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Decent Rebel cards not based on gimmicks?

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2016/5/6/meditation-and-mastery/

Wedge :eyepop:

Not sure why that Nebulon is Imperial :/

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Well piloting is a gimmick, but...THAT OBJECTIVE! God drat son, sign me up. Wedge is pretty good too and I'm always happy to see resources in a set these days. Double 3 icon fate card too? Crazy good set.

alg posted:

I guess they ran out of other Imperial Capital ships? It's definitely odd because it was a LS ship in the old CCG and is a Rebel affiliated ship in Armada. I suppose since they were made by the Empire there's no reason they couldn't be printed as Imperial.

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 19:07 on May 6, 2016

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Jesus. Sith are going to get even more frustrating.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2016/5/16/dark-lord-of-the-sith/

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

alg posted:

Decent Rebel cards not based on gimmicks?

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2016/5/6/meditation-and-mastery/

Wedge :eyepop:

Lore-wise, Nebulon-B frigates were Imperial ships but were used by Rebels more commonly. A lot of missions in the old X-Wing/TIE Fighter games have Nebulon-B's on both sides, for instance.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Taran_Wanderer posted:

Lore-wise, Nebulon-B frigates were Imperial ships but were used by Rebels more commonly. A lot of missions in the old X-Wing/TIE Fighter games have Nebulon-B's on both sides, for instance.

Yeah but Rebels need more capital ships and were an iconic rebel ship from the films :shobon:

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Mostly for Jedi which is good. What would be better is if we get more sets like the upcoming Wedge one, that will give Rebels and Smugglers more options. I don't think I've even used a single Smugglers pod that came out of Imperial Entanglements.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
FFG's new street date policy has finally impacted me...my FLGS has the new boxed expansion sitting behind the counter, but they can't sell it to me

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

jivjov posted:

FFG's new street date policy has finally impacted me...my FLGS has the new boxed expansion sitting behind the counter, but they can't sell it to me

You have to wait...a day? Isn't the street date the 9th?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

PaybackJack posted:

You have to wait...a day? Isn't the street date the 9th?

The clerk that helped me didn't know for sure. Just said someone from the shop would call me when they were able to be sold. Hopefully it is just a day!

alg
Mar 14, 2007

I never thought I'd be building a Rebel reverse capture deck. What the gently caress is wrong with me

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

alg posted:

I never thought I'd be building a Rebel reverse capture deck. What the gently caress is wrong with me

Are you building the Release the Kraken deck, that one is a lot of fun to play actually. It's not the best deck in the world but it has a lot of fun tricks.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

I'm working with Cracken, new Leia, and Tamtel Skreej so far

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Hey guys, total newbie here. I picked up the Core and Edge of Darkness or whatever to try this out with some friends. Are there any good guides for someone coming in new?

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

ChiTownEddie posted:

Hey guys, total newbie here. I picked up the Core and Edge of Darkness or whatever to try this out with some friends. Are there any good guides for someone coming in new?

I can't really think of any good guides but you could certainly ask here for some advice on decks.

Things to pay attention to:

1) Edge Battles, play your big Jedi or event card and you might be too weak to win an edge battle. Twist of Fate in particular is a card that both players should use as many copies of as they can. This is a game defining card.

2) Balance, this is really most important to Dark Side as they need to keep control as those dial ticks are their best way of moving the dial. In the early game this can even mean letting damage go unopposed because you need a unit to sit on the force.

3) Asymmetrical design, those this has changed a lot since the early days, the DS should not typically worry about attacking and the Light Side should not typically be defending. Sometimes DS will run a few cards that they'll use to attack for unopposed damage, such as Jawas, or to swing with Targeted Strike as with Vader, but as a Dark Side player your goal is to keep yourself alive and don't worry about LS objective unless they can be "turned off" by being damaged, or are going to really help close out the game. Sending Darth and an Apprentice to blow up Hit-and-Run is a good plan if you aren't worried about what the LS can field against you on the following turn.

In my news, Galactic Ambitions has reached our playgroup finally and boy there is so much Sith goodness to be had here. The Rebel stuff I'm a little less excited about as they kind of reinforced a lot of different themes while also introducing a theme of using Leaders and it's overall kind of meh.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

The new set has some really neat cards.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

alg posted:

The new set has some really neat cards.

This Rebels cycle is looking pretty interesting. I like that they're creating some strong synergy between the characters that helps get around the faction requirements.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

I've been on pretty much a summer break from this beautiful dead gay game, but man, I am so excited about new Dengar and Jabba potentially breathing new life into Scum's early dogshit sets.

• Locked thread